There are 330 users in the forums

Crabtree Discussion Thread

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Trent Dilfer's interview with ESPN radio with Michael Kay, link on the other Crabtree thread:
Dilfer, on Crabtree: "The kid is a really fine athlete. A lot has been made of his holdout, and I agreed early on that I wouldn't get in on all that. That's not my role as an analyst for ESPN. I have a close relationship with the 49ers people, so it just wasn't appropriate for me to get involved in that realm. But I felt I could mentor him, coach him up, help him out, and be a live arm for him to catch some live balls.

I was very impressed. He was in great shape. He works incredibly hard. He's actually in one-on-one time with him a humble kid, he wants to learn and he wants to be great, and that is what struck me after a couple days with him, how great he wants to be, how he approached it, and I was thoroughly impressed in my two day workout with him.

Q: Some have said that he has not been working out due to a football injury. Is it true?

Dilfer: "I can tell you that it isn't true. He's very healthy, he can line up right now and play, so you can take it from me, those rumors are not true."

Q: Is this kid making a smart move? Is there an end game for holding out as long as he has?

Dilfer: "I don't see it. I don't see it this late in the process. I understand holdouts early in the process. I understand their pride is being hurt. I really believe he is much better than the two receivers taken ahead of him. I think the 49ers believe it, that there is no doubt about that. But, I don't know what is going on now. I think he is getting some advice from some people, not real good advice, but I also think he is a very, you know he compartmentalizes things, the kid impresses me because he is very focused, you see him saying, I'm going to focus on getting better, and I'm going to let the people that I hired do the other stuff; he doesn't know the business and he is so locked up is his world of getting better and being prepared, I can see him compartmentalizing this and not seeing the end result of this.

Q: It just seems such a waste. Football players' careers are so short, and to throw a year away is just sad, I hope he comes to an agreement, but I don't know if he will.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The interview continues with a question about Eric Mangini (this is the same person who accused Michael Crabtree of being a diva, and then passing on him with the 5th overall by trading down). The questioner and Trent Dilfer both proclaim the complete shock over the stupidity of Mangini not naming a starting QB. Interesting transition from the Crabtree conversation.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
In conclusion: I have encouraged the board for weeks now not to make character assassinations on Crabtree, as nobody really knows if he is the "greedy, selfish, evil" person labeled by many on the board. It seems that Trent Dilfer did not get that impression at all after spending two days with the kid. Now, could he have been bluffing? Maybe. However, I think it is premature to blame the kid for the contract negotiation, as many have suggested, and even more foolish and premature to paint him as a bad guy.

I wish him the best on his next franchise.

[ Edited by MadDog49er on Sep 11, 2009 at 19:57:37 ]
I would see him as a bad guy..down below was a pre-draft interview...the gall of this kid is readily apparent...had i seen this before the actual draft I would have passed on him...here it is:

Michael Crabtree looking forward to being selected by Lions

LUBBOCK, TX—NFL prospect Michael Crabtree is 100 percent certain that with the Detroit Lions holding the number one pick in the 2009 NFL draft, he, as the number one receiver in the aforementioned draft, will naturally be chosen to be the next wide receiver in a long line of poor draft choices for the Lions franchise.

“I’ve already started writing my selection speech,” revealed Crabtree. “I know Detroit has a weird thing with wideouts, and they’ve got the number one pick, so I’m pretty sure it’s a done deal.

Follow SSNN on Twitter!

“I’m not even gonna bother with attending the workouts or practices, either,” revealed the All-American. “One, there’s always the risk of injury; Two, you know the Lions have already made up their minds and have never paid attention during these things anyway; and Three, I’m f**king Michael Crabtree and what the hell are you going to do about it?”

Crabtree was not deterred by the Lions’ recent dismissal of former President/CEO Matt Millen, who infamously picked wide receiver after wide receiver in almost every NFL draft.

“Yeah, they got rid of him, and they still went 0-16. Don’t worry, it’s the same old Detroit,” Crabtree assured us.

Crabtree concluded by saying he was looking forward to a mind-numbingly abysmal and unproductive tenure with the Lions and being summarily traded upon displaying aptitude.
Originally posted by MadDog49er:
Trent Dilfer's interview with ESPN radio:
Dilfer, on Crabtree: "The kid is a really fine athlete. A lot has been made of his holdout, and I agreed early on that I wouldn't get in on all that. That's not my role as an analyst for ESPN. I have a close relationship with the 49ers people, so it just wasn't appropriate for me to get involved in that realm. But I felt I could mentor him, coach him up, help him out, and be a live arm for him to catch some live balls.

I was very impressed. He was in great shape. He works incredibly hard. He's actually in one-on-one time with him a humble kid, he wants to learn and he wants to be great, and that is what struck me after a couple days with him, how great he wants to be, how he approached it, and I was thoroughly impressed in my two day workout with him.

Q: Some have said that he has not been working out due to a football injury. Is it true?

Dilfer: "I can tell you that it isn't true. He's very healthy, he can line up right now and play, so you can take it from me, those rumors are not true."

Q: Is this kid making a smart move? Is there an end game for holding out as long as he has?

Dilfer: "I don't see it. I don't see it this late in the process. I understand holdouts early in the process. I understand their pride is being hurt. I really believe he is much better than the two receivers taken ahead of him. I think the 49ers believe it, that there is no doubt about that. But, I don't know what is going on now. I think he is getting some advice from some people, not real good advice, but I also think he is a very, you know he compartmentalizes things, the kid impresses me because he is very focused, you see him saying, I'm going to focus on getting better, and I'm going to let the people that I hired do the other stuff; he doesn't know the business and he is so locked up is his world of getting better and being prepared, I can see him compartmentalizing this and not seeing the end result of this.

Q: It just seems such a waste. Football players' careers are so short, and to throw a year away is just sad, I hope he comes to an agreement, but I don't know if he will.
The interview continues with a question about Eric Mangini (this is the same person who accused Michael Crabtree of being a diva, and then passing on him with the 5th overall by trading down). The questioner and Trent Dilfer both proclaim the complete shock over the stupidity of Mangini not naming a starting QB. Interesting transition from the Crabtree conversation.
In conclusion: I have encouraged the board for weeks now not to make character assassinations on Crabtree, as nobody really knows if he is the "greedy, selfish, evil" person labeled by many on the board. It seems that Trent Dilfer did not get that impression at all after spending two days with the kid. Now, could he have been bluffing? Maybe. However, I think it is premature to blame the kid for the contract negotiation, as many have suggested, and even more foolish and premature to paint him as a bad guy.

I wish him the best on his next franchise

This is the sad part about it, he could really and I mean really help this team. I hope it doesn't come to him not being here, but its becoming increasingly more and more likely. When we actually get a good player, he doesn't want to play here. Thank god for the Willis draft, if not the last handful of drafts would have been wastes save for Gore and a couple of others.
The news item above was printed on Feb 7th 2009 from www.serioussportsnewsnetwork.com. found on page 5 of Google search for Michael Crabtree news.....
i don't know maddog. i want crabby on this team and i dont think he is all to blame, but he is the one person that can put an end to this.

you can say "well he's getting bad advice, well this and that" but he's not a 3 year old, he can make decisions on his own.

i don't think the guy is outright selfish or only cares about money either. i think if DHB had gotten a 5 year, $18 mil contract with $17 mil guaranteed then crabtree would accept the offer we're giving him. he wants a contract that is the same or better than DHB and strangely it has nothing to do with money.

i hope it all gets worked out but every day that passes makes it seem less likely :(
Originally posted by SnakePlissken:
If he doesn't sign by tomorrow morning before the plane leaves I'll be pretty convinced that he's never going to sign with us, period.

I really thought the kid was going to sign. But now I think your right.
Originally posted by BrodieWins:
The news item above was printed on Feb 7th 2009 from www.serioussportsnewsnetwork.com. found on page 5 of Google search for Michael Crabtree news.....

Fake
Originally posted by BrodieWins:
I would see him as a bad guy..down below was a pre-draft interview...the gall of this kid is readily apparent...had i seen this before the actual draft I would have passed on him...here it is:

Michael Crabtree looking forward to being selected by Lions

LUBBOCK, TX—NFL prospect Michael Crabtree is 100 percent certain that with the Detroit Lions holding the number one pick in the 2009 NFL draft, he, as the number one receiver in the aforementioned draft, will naturally be chosen to be the next wide receiver in a long line of poor draft choices for the Lions franchise.

“I’ve already started writing my selection speech,” revealed Crabtree. “I know Detroit has a weird thing with wideouts, and they’ve got the number one pick, so I’m pretty sure it’s a done deal.

Follow SSNN on Twitter!

“I’m not even gonna bother with attending the workouts or practices, either,” revealed the All-American. “One, there’s always the risk of injury; Two, you know the Lions have already made up their minds and have never paid attention during these things anyway; and Three, I’m f**king Michael Crabtree and what the hell are you going to do about it?”

Crabtree was not deterred by the Lions’ recent dismissal of former President/CEO Matt Millen, who infamously picked wide receiver after wide receiver in almost every NFL draft.

“Yeah, they got rid of him, and they still went 0-16. Don’t worry, it’s the same old Detroit,” Crabtree assured us.

Crabtree concluded by saying he was looking forward to a mind-numbingly abysmal and unproductive tenure with the Lions and being summarily traded upon displaying aptitude.

You've been punked. This website writes intentionally false stories for the sake of humor, including Tim Lincecum bailing on the end of the All-Star game to attend a Harry Potter movie, Albert Pujols tearfully admitting steroid use in a press conference, and more.
Originally posted by frenchmov:
i don't know maddog. i want crabby on this team and i dont think he is all to blame, but he is the one person that can put an end to this.

you can say "well he's getting bad advice, well this and that" but he's not a 3 year old, he can make decisions on his own.

i don't think the guy is outright selfish or only cares about money either. i think if DHB had gotten a 5 year, $18 mil contract with $17 mil guaranteed then crabtree would accept the offer we're giving him. he wants a contract that is the same or better than DHB and strangely it has nothing to do with money.

i hope it all gets worked out but every day that passes makes it seem less likely :(

Since two can tango, the Niners can also end this impasse.
Originally posted by JDeezy:

This is the sad part about it, he could really and I mean really help this team. I hope it doesn't come to him not being here, but its becoming increasingly more and more likely. When we actually get a good player, he doesn't want to play here. Thank god for the Willis draft, if not the last handful of drafts would have been wastes save for Gore and a couple of others.

If he didn't want to play here, I don't think he'd be living in town this summer. That is not the issue.

tic toc, tic toc...

Crabtree could of, should of, possibly would have been another great WR in niner's history. Now he can be another decent WR for a team like the lions or even the raiders. Even if he signs tomorrow he would not contribute for a few weeks at best. At this point it is almost better to try to get whatever picks the niners can get out of him next march. The money that would have gone to him can now go into next years rookie pool or maybe a free agent.

I would not feel so indifferent if crabtree was a star at any other position. If he was an OLB or an OT I would still be very hopeful for him to sign.

How much exactly is crabs going to loose sunday? It must be an insane amount.

[ Edited by fister30 on Sep 11, 2009 at 20:11:06 ]
Here is another article from SSNN:

Eli released from Mannings, Giants

EAST RUTHERFORD, NJ — For the last three years Eli Manning has been the quarterback of the New York Giants, and for three years Giants fans have been disappointed in the one-time first overall pick.

SSNN sources now report that Manning’s family is “fed up” with their son’s lackluster performance. So much so that the family has decided to rid themselves of the stench of mediocrity after watching their pride and joy – Eli’s older brother Peyton – win the Super Bowl.

“We’ve officially decided to part ways with Eli. Since his draft-day controversy, he has brought nothing but shame to this,” Manning’s now ex-father Archie said. “Now that he’s not a part of the family, we can all finally admit it: he’s just plain old country dumb.”
[url=null]null[/url] Eli Manning dumped by Giants

there are no guarantees that the 49ers can end this. crabtree could have decided he just doesn't want to play for us. the ONLY PERSON who can complete this contract is crabtree, not the 49ers.

but its like that superman movie said: "the night is always darkest before morning time, and maybe miguel cangrejoárbol will sign on saturday"
Originally posted by JDeezy:

If he didn't want to play here, I don't think he'd be living in town this summer. That is not the issue.

I was referencing the part in bold that he probably won't play here, I should've rephrased that.

there are no guarantees that the 49ers can end this. crabtree could have decided he just doesn't want to play for us. the ONLY PERSON who can complete this contract is crabtree, not the 49ers.

but its like that superman movie said: "the night is always darkest before morning time, and maybe miguel cangrejoárbol will sign on saturday"

And the ONLY PERSON who can draw up the contract is the Niners. This is a contract negotiation. There are two parties.

[ Edited by MadDog49er on Sep 11, 2009 at 20:18:03 ]
Share 49ersWebzone