Crabtree Discussion Thread

• SoCold
  • Veteran
Originally posted by KRS-1:
Originally posted by 9erfan4life:
Originally posted by jame-gumb:
Crabtree's cousin said he'd be willing to sit out the whole year....he only sat out 40 some odd says....Crabtree has not done what his cousin said.

He said Crabtree would sit out the whole year. Crabtree didn't deny it and, to this point, has given zero indication that he plans to sign.

It doesn't really matter, though, because you're arguing semantics here.

I'll say it again (read slowly): My point is that Crabtree's decision to hold out is stupid. If you disagree, tell me why. If not, run along now.

Crabtree never acknowledged what his cousin said either.

If the 49ers decision is to let Crabtree hold out for the whole season without ever making another contract offer beyond the initial offer then it is a stupid decision on the organizations behalf.

Why bother? This goes higher than just the 9ers the comish made it clear he didn’t want any rookie going too far out of the price slot so as high as 9 as low as 11 anywhere in between but Crabs is NOT getting the 5, 6, 7, slot money he wants end of story.

Sorry can’t help you bye bye

I stated before I don't care what we pay him but we need to up the offer if the current one doesn't cut it.

If the Commish and the league wanted it to be clear that no player gets more than slotted worth then why did they approve Brady Quinn's contract ? Why have they not put a rookie salary cap in place to date ? I'm sorry but the league is sending mixed signals and players and or agents will look to take advantage of this when they believe they can.

see my other post also

Why should every player drafted get the same 20-25% increase in contracts from last year but Crabs wants double that why cuase he's Crabtree

Guess what

The NFL makes Crabtree
Crabtree doesn't make the NFL
  • KRS-1
  • Hall of Fame
I'm sorry but the league is sending mixed signals and players and or agents will look to take advantage of this when they believe they can.

And SF is trying to send a clear signal: They won't let rookies take advantage of this. I have no problem with that.

Look, if a transcendental player were there at No. 10, I wouldn't have a problem with SF going over slot for him. I don't think Crabtree is that player. Maybe that's SF's opinion as well.

Quote:

Michael Silver of Yahoo Sports has a nice article talking about how McCloughan went about the draft and the process through it all.

“I know who I want, and it’s Michael Crabtree,” McCloughan had answered instantly. “To me he’s a home run, an impact player who gives us something we don’t have. Now, I realize he’s not supposed to be there when we pick [10th overall], and I’m not going to trade up to get him. But this draft is so weird, and there are so many different scenarios floating out there, that I could see it happening.”
  • Blitz
  • Veteran
Crabtree's cousin said he'd be willing to sit out the whole year....he only sat out 40 some odd says....Crabtree has not done what his cousin said.

He said Crabtree would sit out the whole year. Crabtree didn't deny it and, to this point, has given zero indication that he plans to sign.

It doesn't really matter, though, because you're arguing semantics here.

I'll say it again (read slowly): My point is that Crabtree's decision to hold out is stupid. If you disagree, tell me why. If not, run along now.

Crabtree never acknowledged what his cousin said either.

If the 49ers decision is to let Crabtree hold out for the whole season without ever making another contract offer beyond the initial offer then it is a stupid decision on the organizations behalf.

Why bother? This goes higher than just the 9ers the comish made it clear he didn’t want any rookie going too far out of the price slot so as high as 9 as low as 11 anywhere in between but Crabs is NOT getting the 5, 6, 7, slot money he wants end of story.

Sorry can’t help you bye bye

I stated before I don't care what we pay him but we need to up the offer if the current one doesn't cut it.

If the Commish and the league wanted it to be clear that no player gets more than slotted worth then why did they approve Brady Quinn's contract ? Why have they not put a rookie salary cap in place to date ? I'm sorry but the league is sending mixed signals and players and or agents will look to take advantage of this when they believe they can.

see my other post also

Why should every player drafted get the same 20-25% increase in contracts from last year but Crabs wants double that why cuase he's Crabtree

Guess what

The NFL makes Crabtree
Crabtree doesn't make the NFL

Succint. To the point. Case closed. Well done sir.

• jame-gumb
  • Info N/A
I'm sorry but the league is sending mixed signals and players and or agents will look to take advantage of this when they believe they can.

And SF is trying to send a clear signal: They won't let rookies take advantage of this. I have no problem with that.

Look, if a transcendental player were there at No. 10, I wouldn't have a problem with SF going over slot for him. I don't think Crabtree is that player. Maybe that's SF's opinion as well.

Quote:

Michael Silver of Yahoo Sports has a nice article talking about how McCloughan went about the draft and the process through it all.

“I know who I want, and it’s Michael Crabtree,” McCloughan had answered instantly. “To me he’s a home run, an impact player who gives us something we don’t have. Now, I realize he’s not supposed to be there when we pick [10th overall], and I’m not going to trade up to get him. But this draft is so weird, and there are so many different scenarios floating out there, that I could see it happening.”

That's great. He's not a player they're willing to pay over slot for. And I have no problem with that.

edit: To be accurate, Crabtree apparently isn't a player SF is willing to pay over slot for at this point.

[ Edited by jame-gumb on Sep 10, 2009 at 11:59:04 ]
  • Blitz
  • Veteran

It's not just the rookies. We have to look down the road too. And, if Craps turns out and shines, he will have another contract to be negotiated, what then? If he gets away with holding the team ransom as an unproven rookie with no real leverage, lord help us when it comes time to negotiate with him in the future when he is an all pro (if he is) caliber player loaded with leverage. It is actually better to hold the line now, than try and hold it later with him because doing it now increase's the chances he is with us longer because we will have more room to negotiate in the future when he actually does (may) have some leverage thereby increasing our chances of retaining him longer than just a few years.

[ Edited by Blitz on Sep 10, 2009 at 11:59:35 ]
  • Squirrel
  • Info N/A
Originally posted by DesiDez:
Originally posted by Squirrel:
Could someone correct me if I'm wrong:

The 49ers made an offer and presented it to Parker. Parker took it to Crabtree, and the two have said no way. Since then, there have been no communication, right?

So, how can the two sides come to an agreement if they won't talk to each other?

The last "reported" talk between the two sides was on Aug 25.

I'm sure there have been more talks recently. The media just hasn't been given any notice.

All I know is Crabtree is in the Bay Area and apparently in shape, but he hasn't said a damn thing since the holdout, while the 49ers brass seem upbeat about the talks.

Okay, so there has been some communication. So, the theory that I formulated is trashed. Nevermind.
Originally posted by Squirrel:
Could someone correct me if I'm wrong:

The 49ers made an offer and presented it to Parker. Parker took it to Crabtree, and the two have said no way. Since then, there have been no communication, right?

So, how can the two sides come to an agreement if they won't talk to each other?

Yeah, kinda hard to negotiate when one side doesn't make a counter-offer.
  • AmpLee
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by 49erWill:
Originally posted by FILTHpigskin:
Hey, I just wanted to add my two cents to this ridiculously long thread...

There you go... now that that's over with.

Seriously mod's, 140 something pages and counting, how is this better than multiple threads? You know no one is going to read every post (2k and counting)... this just blows me away is all, LOL.

what would you recommend we do?

I'd say create a whole new forum called "Crabtree". In this forum each post should create a new thread. It's actually the first stage of the apocalypse and should have been created yesterday.
Bill Simmons of ESPN gives his take on the Crabtree situation. Scroll down to near the bottom of the page and read the Great Call of the Week box. Definitely some holes in his analogy, but funny nonetheless.

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=simmons/090910
Did anyone answer my question I posted last night (10 pages ago)?
Hey, I just wanted to add my two cents to this ridiculously long thread... There you go... now that that's over with. Seriously mod's, 140 something pages and counting, how is this better than multiple threads? You know no one is going to read every post (2k and counting)... this just blows me away is all, LOL.

dont do anything until we reach 200 pages. lol
I'm ready for some good news
http://www.esnips.com/doc/bd2c8cf2-be66-4868-81cf-1e3dfdbcbf46
Hey, I just wanted to add my two cents to this ridiculously long thread...

There you go... now that that's over with.

Seriously mod's, 140 something pages and counting, how is this better than multiple threads? You know no one is going to read every post (2k and counting)... this just blows me away is all, LOL.

Day 4:

I still haven't found a way out of this thread, I thought I seen some daylight but ended up being a merge. I stopped counting pages as I lost count 20 pages ago.

I don't know if I can make it much longer without food and water, hopefull tomorrow will bring something new.
Bill Simmons' novel of a take on the situation:

Quote:
Basically, this is Crabtree's argument. He is better than Heyward-Bey. Everyone agreed in April. The Raiders passed for the simple reason that they are the dumbest franchise in the league, as we keep remembering every few months. San Francisco was blessed to get a top-five talent at No. 10. It should pay for this blessing. So far, it has not done so. Crabtree is being called crazy, but really, he just believes in his own talent. He really WOULD throw away this season to prove a point. That's not crazy, that's conviction! Michael Crabtree might be ruining his career and setting hundreds of thousands of dollars on fire, but at least he earned my Miller Lite Great Call of the Week.