LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 203 users in the forums

Will The 49ers Sign Micheal Crabtree This Year

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Will The 49ers Sign Micheal Crabtree This Year

I still say YES. We find a way to get it done.
Jed York has extended Parker and Crabtree an olive branch...it'd be in both of their best interests to grab ahold. If they don't, look for a season-long holdout, in which case we still don't lose, because they can invest the money they would've spent on Crabtree on other players. Plus, they'll have 7 weeks starting next March in which to work a trade.
  • B650
  • Veteran
Originally posted by dj43:
He will sign and play this year. Not even a hard-nose like Parker will overlook the amount of money he will lose if he does not sign this year. In addition to the reduction in contract offer, endorsements are ALWAYS done on a performance basis. Hence, as he continues to hold out, not only will 49er money be reduced, so will his endorsement deals be reduced. We won't hear about it but, rest assured, he will not only start losing money, he will also risk the total loss of an endorsment deal if the company begins to feel the public turning against him. It is all about value on, and off the field.

He will sign...just don't know how soon but he will not sit out the entire year, that is a smokescreen.

Well, Crabtree might not care that he's losing money initially by holding out. Let's say he gets a 4 year contract worth 20 million. The 49ers are a running team with a questionable QB at the moment, who haven't had a 1,000 yard WR in almost a decade. So, after 4 average years with the 49ers, that's it; his career is over. His 2nd contract is going to pay him 2 cheeseburgers.

Let's say he skips this year and falls in the Draft. He loses some money. Let's say he gets picked up by Dallas. He has Romo throwing to him and has 4 great seasons. He signs an extension worth over 50 million dollars. He's happy.

The bottom line is that I think he and his agent know that they're losing money NOW, but they're looking at the big picture and thinking whether or not they really want to play for the 49ers at a price they think is too low and risk jeopardizing his career. I'm beginning to think that this all comes down to not wanting to play for the 49ers, not money.

I'm not saying it's right. What he should do is be a man and join the team. Prove your worth. Did LBJ complain about going to the pathetic Cavs? No, he put them on his shoulders and turned them into winners. Crabtree, if you're so good, be a man and join your freaking team already.
the vote margin is getting closer
Originally posted by CorvaNinerFan:
Jed York has extended Parker and Crabtree an olive branch...it'd be in both of their best interests to grab ahold. If they don't, look for a season-long holdout, in which case we still don't lose, because they can invest the money they would've spent on Crabtree on other players. Plus, they'll have 7 weeks starting next March in which to work a trade.

how could you consider it "still not a loss"! the 49ers are thin at wide reciever, and next year when theres no bruce what are we gonna do. no matter what you say about crabtree, one must admit the talent he has cannot be over looked. Crabtree has done some impressive things in college, even though he worked out of a spread offense, you cant deny the tools he bring to the table. signing Crabtree is a must, but we must not break the bank. i have good faith now that Jed York has taken the team contols, i would expect him to do everything in the teams best intrest to sign him.
Originally posted by King49er:

pretty closely split
With Brandon Jones coming back, we're not thin at WR. Plus, we have two guys on the PS who could fill in, if needed. All those guys want to play...screw Crabtree and his greedy agent. Somebody will give us a pretty high draft pick for him...trust me. Say we end up with two #1 and two #2 picks...that means four high quality players next year in the first two rounds. That's all worst case scenario. If he signs, fine. I'm not counting on that, and when you look at the big picture, it's his loss, not the Niners. Yeah, we technically lose a #1 pick...but if the guy doesn't want to play in SF, the worst we'd net is a 2nd round pick, maybe even a late 1st rounder. Some owner like Jerry Jones or Al Davis will make us an offer we can't refuse, count on it. The other bonus is we reinvest the Crabtree money in players who want to be 49ers.
With Brandon Jones coming back, we're not thin at WR. Plus, we have two guys on the PS who could fill in, if needed. All those guys want to play...screw Crabtree and his greedy agent. Somebody will give us a pretty high draft pick for him...trust me. Say we end up with two #1 and two #2 picks...that means four high quality players next year in the first two rounds. That's all worst case scenario. If he signs, fine. I'm not counting on that, and when you look at the big picture, it's his loss, not the Niners. Yeah, we technically lose a #1 pick...but if the guy doesn't want to play in SF, the worst we'd net is a 2nd round pick, maybe even a late 1st rounder. Some owner like Jerry Jones or Al Davis will make us an offer we can't refuse, count on it. The other bonus is we reinvest the Crabtree money in players who want to be 49ers.

i understand where your coming from but look.....Bruce-last year Morgan-unproven Hill-almost got cut B. Jones-Has never produced Battle-wouldnt be playing on 25 other teams then Ziegler-????practice squad you cant honestly say we are not thin on WR. next year will be bad!!!! Crabtree has the potential to be a TRUE #1 thats pretty hard to find now-a-days
I still believe Crabtree will sign & he will be a productive player for the 49ers.
Originally posted by FederalAgent49:

how could you consider it "still not a loss"! the 49ers are thin at wide reciever, and next year when theres no bruce what are we gonna do. no matter what you say about crabtree, one must admit the talent he has cannot be over looked. Crabtree has done some impressive things in college, even though he worked out of a spread offense, you cant deny the tools he bring to the table. signing Crabtree is a must, but we must not break the bank. i have good faith now that Jed York has taken the team contols, i would expect him to do everything in the teams best intrest to sign him.

We do what we attempted to last year, we get another receiver. It's not our fault that he's not here. I'm honestly starting to believe that Crabs doesn't want to be a 9er. That's the only reason I can think of why he'd piss away millions of dollars, and seriously risk his draft stock next year.

It has to be that he just didn't want to come here in the first place.

Thats all we need a prima dona - a prima dona that hasn't even PRACTICED in the NFL yet. A prima dona that to start with the team had to be stroked by the owner just to show up. So now his ego can hold it over the other teammates and management that he got special treatment (however menial) to sign a HUGE contract -- to sit on the sidelines and be a do nothing.

I can hear him now, "I just needed to know I was wanted here,...blah, blah, blah"

Screw him. We should just let it be known we will trade him on March 2nd of next year.
  • 9ermj
  • Info N/A
Originally posted by King49er:

When this whole thing started I thought there was no way Craptree could be this dumb and maybe he's not but if not then it would seem he never wanted to be here in the first place. The part that makes no sense to me is why not come out right after he's drafted like Manning did and say he doesn't want to be here , he'd have a lot more juice then than he seems to now. At this point i don't care
As I said in another Crabtree post:

I think that its pretty obvious that Crabtree is content with sitting out the season because he has a guarantee from Jerry Jones that will more then make up for the money he lost this season and also over pay him for the next 5. I guess we wont really know until it happens but is sure seems he is pretty comfortable with his situation.
Romo>Hill

Dallas endoresments> SF
NO.

And I don't care and don't want him anymore. Let him re enter the draft next year and become a 2nd rounder. He will never be good for our team in a variety of different ways. It's better that he is not with us. His entire 1st year is already gone. He missed all of camp, all of pre season, and the first game and perhaps more. Usually a rookie signs a 4 year deal. Figure year one is gone since he sure won't be ready with all he missed. So you have only 3 years left of a DIVA. I don't even want all his trouble.
Share 49ersWebzone