LISTEN: 49ers Offseason Musings With Legendary Columnist Mike Silver →

There are 139 users in the forums

Barry Sims is only 1 injury away from starting

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Ya that really is a scary thought.
Originally posted by oldninerdude:
Originally posted by jimbagg:
OK, Final 53 decisions for Game 1 are imminent and Barry Sims is only 1 injury (to Snyder or Staley) from starting. That is reality and that is scary. IMHO, at no other position, does the fall-off in talent to the back-up, appear so severe. And OT performance is critical to the team (no ball control = tired defense = losing record).

So, what to do about this? There is apparently no other swing (one player who can back-up both LT and RT on the Game Day 45 Actives roster) in camp. McCloughan surely has been monitoring the waiver wire since Marvel Smith retired. It's possible that some aging veteran OT, might become available on Sep 5. At a minimum, I would expect the club to invite 1-2 such vets in for a work-out.

But what if the cupboard is bare? I suggest keeping the young developing Jacob Bender, who has been backing up Staley at LT, as the 3rd OT, instead of the tired and slow Sims. Here's my thinking. If Staley is hurt, Bender is well equipped to come in and finish the game at LT. If Snyder is hurt, the club could try Bender at RT to finish out that game, then have a full week to determine a longer term solution at RT, if it's a longer term injury to Snyder. With this in mind, stay alert for any snaps which Bender might take at RT in this final exhibition vs San Diego, to prepare him for a possible "swing" role.

Also count me among those who would like to see Alex Boone kept as the 4th OT or, more likely, on the PS, where he could be called-up on a week's notice, should Snyder be declared doubtful or out for an upcoming game.

Maiocco projects only 8 OL on the Final 53 for Game 1. Since the OL (not #21) is the REAL bell cow for this offense, I strongly suspect that the club will carry 9 OL, not 8, at the expense of 1 less WR, esp since Walker, Robinson and Sheets can all play WR in a pinch.

Excellent, intelligent observation.

As run-oriented as Singletary wants the offense to be, it seems a certainty that they're going to keep 9 OL.

Staley, Baas, Heitmann, Rachal, Snyder, Wragge all seem to be locks.

Sims has the most experience of the backups, but may be over the hill.

Wallace was picked way too early as a 4th rounder but has made some improvements in his game. He can back up all three interior positions, but appears unlikely to unseat any of them.

Spanos has shown great versatility and has good size. He can back up any of the OL positions. I'd keep him over Wallace.

Bender has good size and mobility and has some experience. Probably the best backup at LT.

Boone has the size and mobility needed for the RT, and has played well, generally, when given the opportunity this preseason. Based on what I've seen in preseason, I'd be comfortable with him as the backup at RT. He's made major strides and has the size and mobility to be a force at RT once he gets established. IMHO.

The other UDFA, whose name escapes me, also has good size and has played at RG, next to Boone, during preseason, but can play any OL position except C.

If it was me doing the choosing, I'd keep Bender, Boone and Spanos along with the six listed above. I'd release Wallace, Sims, and Toledo outright, and put the other UDFA kid (whose name I cannot recall) on the PS.

I agree with your thinking, both of you. OND, your thoughts on the younger guys are right on IMHO. The only thing that Sims brings is experience. I believe that the combo of Bender, Boone, and Spanos is a better and more versitile group than any that contains B. Sims.
  • Mex49
I guess the same can be said for A Smith
well, i think when the rosters are slimmed down, we well take a long look at the players cut.

Im pretty sure there will be some players better than simms we can find in free agency.
Originally posted by ads_2006:
well, i think when the rosters are slimmed down, we well take a long look at the players cut.

Im pretty sure there will be some players better than simms we can find in free agency.

I sure hope so
  • Antix
  • Veteran
Every time I hear Sims I think of the New Orleans game last year when they show Will Smith (I think) blasting his ass across the screen in a slo mo replay. Duue literally got shoved so hard he was flying through the air.

We seriously need help here.
Agree with the amount of lineman. I don't know how MM can project only 8 guys. Teams generally carry at least 9 guys, and with our history of injuries, the number has to be nine or more.

I mean, Wragge and Wallace are probably going to make the team. How could the team only carry one backup tackle? Doesn't make sense.

Sims is going to make this team, whether the fans like it or not. In fact, he's the first backup at RT and probably LT as well.
Barry Sims will get one of our Q.B. killed... stay tuned.
This whole situation makes me sad...
Originally posted by BigMar:

isnt that good?

then the Nate Davis show can start

We need to bring in a veteran Tackle, may be someone like John Runyan. We know simms sucks wy not try another vet?
  • aacadena
  • Info N/A

That is actually believable, I'm surprised Smith is still alive after having Kwame. I rememeber seeing the "Kwame Video" and damn, that s**t was f**ked up. Sims = white Kwame.
Originally posted by aacadena:

That is actually believable, I'm surprised Smith is still alive after having Kwame. I rememeber seeing the "Kwame Video" and damn, that s**t was f**ked up. Sims = white Kwame.

Your not going to believe this but.... it was Eric Heitmann & Larry Allen who allowed that freak'en Seachicken to cleanly and untouched run right up the middle and knock the crap out of Alex and destroy his shoulder.

But yes, OT Sims is a scary guy to have protecting your Q.B.
just don't know why we didn't draft an OT????????????????
Originally posted by wailers15:
just don't know why we didn't draft an OT????????????????

Well the earliest we would have drafted an OT would have been the third round. I'm not quite sure how well he would have done?

-9fA
Share 49ersWebzone