LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 313 users in the forums

Who is >>>>>> than who? Who will have the better season?

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Who is >>>>>> than who? Who will have the better season?

I think the Clements issue has been a hot topic lately... Even the local beat writers are chiming in to the fact that Nate doesn't look as Crisp as he has been in the past, getting burnt twice for big plays against the Cowboys, as well as a TD against DA RAIDAZ...

Often in the past 2 seasons, it was arguable that Walt Harris was the better game day performer of the two. Now that Walt isn't with us, and barring some ABSOLUTLEY EXCEPTIONAL play by Tarrel Brown, or Shawntae Spencer, I see Dre Bly starting opposite Nate this season.

Dre is #4 on in interceptions on the active players list. He does not look as if he has lost a step, and as a matter of fact, looks to be back in his pre 2008 season form.

We seemed to do a great job with Walt when the Skins thought he was done... Walt came here, had something to prove, and guess what? He made it to the pro-bowl. I see Dre Bly having a Walt Harris-esque type first season with us. Their situations are very much the same. Dre signed with us for the Vet minimum. He is not motivated by money. Every time he makes a play he starts jawing off to the opposite teams bench, proving the point that he can still play at a high level. He definateley wants to prove his worth, and that he still has it. I think he will

This poses an interesting question. All this being said, will Dre Bly have a better season than Nate Clements? Is he a better Corner Back?
Roman
go somewhere else with that s**t... newbs man...
I still think Clements will be asked to cover the other teams best WR; therefore, he's the better player IMO.

[ Edited by D_Niner on Aug 30, 2009 at 21:07:52 ]
I would say Clements but hes way overpriced, Bly more bang for the buck.
Clements is better than Bly, Clements just has been playing vanilla because its "practice(preseason)".
Originally posted by Sactown49er:
Clements is better than Bly, Clements just has been playing vanilla because its "practice(preseason)".

what was his excuse for last season?
Originally posted by RonMexico:

he was confined by Nolan's mis-managed schemes.
  • Mex49
Originally posted by zozell:
go somewhere else with that s**t... newbs man...

Are you serious?

He's just good, not great as advertised.

Originally posted by IDontGetNaked:

he was confined by Nolan's mis-managed schemes.

Which was being ran by Greg Manuksy, guess who's still running them, Greg Manusky.
  • fan49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by ziggy_gonna_rock:
Roman

he gets 1 pick in three years. Isnt it his main job to get picks. let alone the 1 pick came in preseason
  • krizay
  • Veteran
Quote:
Who will have the better season?

Who will give up less catches? Bly
Who will give up less yards? Bly
Who will have more int's? My guess is Bly
Who will give up less Td's? Bly
Who will have more tackles? Clements

So in my opinion Bly will have a better season. But that's if you look at what you pay CB's to do. I know how this board can tend to look at other things players can do more so than what they are supposed to do. (Mrob horrible runner, good special teamer. Vern suspect receiver good blocker) So it depends on what you look at. If you want tackling from your CB's then Clements can be a 3rd alternate for the pro bowl or something. If you want coverage, give me Bly!
So far he's shown that he's nothing more than an slighthy above average CB. Nate and his agent him elite player money so i'm not gonna be mad at them for that. I think Bly will have better numbers though b/c more teams will throw at Nate b/c he's covering there best WR. When you are a Cb and your best attribute it tackling then you have a problem. But did he just get paid and tail off? i heard nothing but how tough and physical he was but now he plays 10 yards off and soft. He supports the run well but i need him to cover CB's better and stop going for every single double move.
I think Clements will be ok he just needs to tighten up big time.
Share 49ersWebzone