LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 238 users in the forums

Interesting stat: Preseason running plays

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Found this one on NFL.com and found that interesting:

Link

I´ll pick out the the Niner-specific stuff and highlight the fun part (emphasis mine):
Quote:
Glen Coffee was a third-round pick of the 49ers. I got a chance to see him in two practices against the Raiders and was impressed. He delivered again in the Week 2 preseason game against the same Raiders and now has 32 touches for 204 yards in two games. Like Davis, Coffee will get some return duties and be a valuable backup to Frank Gore. By the way, the 49ers have made a big commitment to the run this summer and are averaging 36 run plays a game this preseason at 5.3 yards per carry.

Well, first of all: That YPC average is sweet

Then: I know, it´s only preseason, but I think 36 run plays show that we are committed to the run. I think our regular season average might be a tad bit lower than that, but at around 30 Run plays a game, that means Gore could get his 20-25 touches (there would be a few passed included there as well, so he would have maybe around 20 carries a game) and there should still be carries left for Coffee (maybe around ten carries per game). Sounds like a plan to me
In a weird way it will come down to the D, but it is a chicken and the egg type of thing.

If we are in games and can afford to keep running, then Gore and Coffee will pound away and start breaking big gains in the 3rd and 4th. However, if we don't control the ball and the D is on the field for 40 minutes every game (like the last few years) then the offence is going to have to start throwing.... It all works together!
  • Chief
  • Veteran
Tear up and Wake up, that is what I call our running back duo.
Very nice. I think our running game is going to be very good this year!
No doubt we are going to emphasize the run more. Why not as it's our strength. We will be a run first and pass 2nd team.
That's great, but the passing game better improve too or all the defenses the 9ers are going to face are going to load up at the line of scrimmage and there will go our running game too. One dimensional teams don't tend to make the playoffs, and if they do, they don't go far.
Originally posted by bigmur49:
In a weird way it will come down to the D, but it is a chicken and the egg type of thing.

If we are in games and can afford to keep running, then Gore and Coffee will pound away and start breaking big gains in the 3rd and 4th. However, if we don't control the ball and the D is on the field for 40 minutes every game (like the last few years) then the offence is going to have to start throwing.... It all works together!

Good point. The running game can be awesome but it would be negated if the team is down by a few TDs early.

However, i don't think the team will give up lots of point early since Nolan isnt running his prevent [us from winning] defense. I'm curious to see what blitz packages Manusky has.
explained by DE Greg Ellis: "The 49ers kept running the same play where they were pulling some of the offensive linemen around. . . . It wasn't like they were able to run any play and get yards on us, that one play we just didn't handle well. Then they did what anybody should do, they kept repeating it, one side to another, and they kept having success with it."

I remember when we hired Jimmy Raye this is what some of his old players said about his O. They'd practice it so much that even if the other team knew exactly what they were trying to do pre-snap they'd still get steamrolled.

opposing our will on the other guys!

(now if only the D line could do the same)
Originally posted by pdxredandgold:
explained by DE Greg Ellis: "The 49ers kept running the same play where they were pulling some of the offensive linemen around. . . . It wasn't like they were able to run any play and get yards on us, that one play we just didn't handle well. Then they did what anybody should do, they kept repeating it, one side to another, and they kept having success with it."

I remember when we hired Jimmy Raye this is what some of his old players said about his O. They'd practice it so much that even if the other team knew exactly what they were trying to do pre-snap they'd still get steamrolled.

opposing our will on the other guys!

(now if only the D line could do the same)

Yeah, That play i recall. The keep pulling behind wragg side and then reversed it and back and forth the niners know how to do that play really well and should improve with baas in at the start of the season.
I'LL CALL THEM THE "DO THAT BROWN COMBO"

FRANK DID HE JUST "DO THAT" GORE
AND

GLENN GROUND "BROWN" COFFEE

• BobS
  • Veteran
Originally posted by tohara3:
Very nice. I think our running game is going to be very good this year!

It better be with the QBs we have.
Yeah this offense is starting to resemble very much like the offense Norv ran.

Going back to the basics.

-9fA
Originally posted by 9erfanAUS:

-9fA

with better receivers and (hopefully) a better VD. And we have a legit back up to Frank. To be honest, i don't even remember the back up for frank back then.

Maurice Hicks i think.
thats all fine and dandy, but i would like to point out that even though we ran over the raiders NON stop, we BARELY won. in fact, if it was a real game, it would have been a tie.. they wouldnt have gone for two. actually, if you want to go even further, our second and third units were the ones who won the game. we were losing the entire first half.

although im excited we can run like mad, its going to take more than that to win games. both hill and smith looked like crap the first two games.. well, at least below average. i really hope hill can step up his game because not even the best run game and best def will take us all the way. look at the vikings. the ravens did it, but that was lucky.. dilfer was probably worse than hill. and that raven d was probably better than our d.

i dont mean to be a downer, im just saying.. dont get all sucked into the hype. dont get your hopes up. just because we're dominating in the run game, doesnt mean we'll have an amazing season.. unfortunately. :(

i think if hill can finish this season with a qb rating of around 85, then we should make the play offs. just my opinion. and it is possible.
Originally posted by darkknight49:
Originally posted by 9erfanAUS:

-9fA

with better receivers and (hopefully) a better VD. And we have a legit back up to Frank. To be honest, i don't even remember the back up for frank back then.

Maurice Hicks i think.

Correct. I believe Barlow was there for about half a season?

-9fA
Share 49ersWebzone