LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 203 users in the forums

Safety First

Shop Find 49ers gear online
I just wanted to get some thought on Reggie Smith. I think he has been playing better than all our safeties this preseason and could be a stud. I would love for him to be part of our future in the secondary now that he's back at safety. He's getting some recognition so watch out-

The Smiths: Though Alex Smith did nothing to advance his bid for the starting quarterback job, Reggie Smith came up big at the safety position. In addition to a fumble recovery, he broke up a pass on a two-point conversion attempt for the second time in as two weeks.

"Reggie is growing," Singletary said of the second-year player. "The game is starting to slow down for him. The more they play, the better they're going to get. Certainly there're some things Reggie has to get better at in coverage."

Read more: http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2009/08/23/SP4M19CMDF.DTL#ixzz0P8C100Qd
BTW, why are both Reggie Smith AND Sheets #30??? Are we out of numbers?
I honestly want Reggie Smith to start over Goldston.(sp?) I just dont think the guy will be any good. Smith is showing some serious skill and i hope at some point into the season he gets the starting job.
Originally posted by BMoore56:
I honestly want Reggie Smith to start over Goldston.(sp?) I just dont think the guy will be any good. Smith is showing some serious skill and i hope at some point into the season he gets the starting job.

Goldson is a heat seeking missile!!!!

Originally posted by SybErkRimInAL:

i dont know what the deal is but its going on on other teams too
[ Edited by valrod33 on Aug 24, 2009 at 12:55 PM ]

You know what, I was thinking the exact same thing on Saturday.

Goldson is a heat seeking missile!!!!

That could be a liability in some instances. Hard to find another #42!!
Hurray! Reggie Smith has a pulse. It's taken him a year to show it. Would love to see him improve going forward. No one likes a wasted pick.

But this dude is still VERY green. He was largely a Game Day Inactive for most of 2008. I believe that the club has been giving Smith defensive PT at SS, not FS, so he's really not presently competing with either Goldson or Roman. Michael Lewis is a lock for the starting SS position. Smith just has to beat out Hudson and Taylor for the 4th roster spot at safety. That 4th saftey roster spot will also likely be a Game Day Inactive for most games in 2009. Doesn't seem like too much to ask of a 3rd-rounder.
Goldson hitting Stewart after that 20 yard reception is what we've been missing. We used to just give up 20 yard bombs all over the field and then watch them get the YAC and take them down eventually when P Willis would catch them lol. Seeing him realize he couldn't make a play on the ball and just smash that tight end was so awsome. It's gonna be a fun year!
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame

No, if you look closely, Reggie Smith has 30a and Sheets is 30b.

Yes Reggie needs work on the coverage skills. I'm just not sold that Goldson or Lewis are much better in coverage either. They obviously bring other things to the table.

Reggie was late on the throw from Frye to Myers who burned McKillop down the left side for like 35 yards. We made Myers look like Tony Gonzalez.
Originally posted by Kolohe:

No, if you look closely, Reggie Smith has 30a and Sheets is 30b.

Yes of course, some of you didn't catch that if you didn't watch the game in HD.

you see it, but i am curious why these 2 would choose the same number. coming in shets had to have "realized" smith was a pretty good lock to make the roster. and he chooses it, "knowing" if he makjes the roster he will hae to change his number.
I think Smith and Goldson is the future for us at safety. And I would not be shocked to see that happen sometime later this year.
  • rob28
  • Veteran
na goldston deserves the shot now then reggie later. but reggie will see alot of playing time.
Share 49ersWebzone