There are 186 users in the forums

oldman9er's 1st Quarter observations - Game 2

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Oakland Raiders at 15:00, (1st play from scrimmage 14:55) OAK SFO

1st and 10 at OAK 24 (14:55) D.McFadden right tackle to OAK 25 for 1 yard (A.Franklin).
base D... Franklin initially loses 2 yds, but finds a crease and surges forward for nice stop. Sopoaga lost a yd but held strong while sliding with play... Brooks held up and helped contain outside well.
2nd and 9 at OAK 25 (14:21) D.McFadden left end to OAK 25 for no gain (M.Lawson).
base D... Manny abuses TE for penetration, and makes a nice stuff... Franklin held well and slid to the RB to clean up a bit... Justin defeated his blocker, and would have been there if needed for the stop. Sopoaga avoids cut, and another block to slide over if needed as well.
3rd and 9 at OAK 25 (13:45) (Shotgun) J.Russell pass incomplete short left to D.Heyward-Bey.
looks base D... CB blitz... TKO blitz... collectively got some decent pressure...
4th and 9 at OAK 25 (13:37) R.Schmitt punts 51 yards to SF 24, Center-J.Condo. A.Rossum to SF 23 for -1 yards (H.Eugene).

San Francisco 49ers at 13:30 OAK SFO

1st and 10 at SF 23 (13:30) A.Smith pass incomplete short right to J.Morgan [G.Ellis].
roll out pass... would have been nice if Norris would have got a piece of the DE as a block-&-release to the flat... looks smart to throw the ball away
2nd and 10 at SF 23 (13:24) F.Gore up the middle to SF 26 for 3 yards (K.Morrison).
VD and Staley got fantastic push to open up weakside rush lane... Wragge did pretty well at that too... Heitmann did well enough in turning his man... good vision by Gore
3rd and 7 at SF 26 (12:41) (Shotgun) A.Smith pass short middle to V.Davis to SF 41 for 15 yards (H.Eugene). Caught at SF 35.
quick decision pass... OL did their jobs, but didn't need to do much for long... nicely placed, strong pass to VD over middle...
1st and 10 at SF 41 (11:54) A.Smith pass incomplete short middle to I.Bruce.
good blocking... Rachal really washed his man out... ball tipped at the LOS by #61... slow wobbler... Bruce shows pure laziness by sticking out one hand and letting it drop to ground. Was an easy catch, yet not. Alex with a huge laughing smile. Looks like he is really chill and having fun out there.
2nd and 10 at SF 41 (11:48) F.Gore up the middle to SF 45 for 4 yards (G.Warren, K.Morrison).
good interior pull block from Rachal... solid blocking from V, Staley, Wragge... Snyder and Heitmann did their easy job well enough... good lead block Norris... no sustained blocks from the first bunch mentioned.
3rd and 6 at SF 45 (11:03) (Shotgun) A.Smith pass incomplete short right to V.Davis.
OL was backed up, but held well enough... a bullet thrown high... was catchable, but off VD's hands and bounced up in the air for 10+ yds. Alex again with big smile.... VD looks worried while headed to sideline... gives VD a tap on back of helmet, but looks annoyed... I'm nearly certain he patronizingly asked VD "was it a catch?"
4th and 6 at SF 45 (10:58) A.Lee punts 55 yards to end zone, Center-B.Jennings, Touchback.

Oakland Raiders at 10:50 OAK SFO

1st and 10 at OAK 20 (10:50) J.Russell pass short right to D.McFadden to OAK 25 for 5 yards (D.Goldson). Caught at OAK 17.
base D... Franklin gets 4-5 yds push FORWARD... Justin briefly doubled... Sopoaga washed away from screen direction... great burst from Brooks in the face of QB... Manny and ILBs in coverage... Justin misses tackle... McF slips down and Goldson pounces
2nd and 5 at OAK 25 (10:13) J.Russell pass deep right to T.Stewart to OAK 45 for 20 yards (D.Goldson). Caught at OAK 42.
base D.. Sopoaga gets good burst upfield for 3 yds, then stoned... Franklin sees double, goes nowhere on rush... Justin shoves through his man... gets stoned just before reaching QB... swats at pass... Manny picked up well by RT... Goldson with nasty low tackle on TE
1st and 10 at OAK 45 (9:24) D.McFadden right tackle to OAK 47 for 2 yards (A.Franklin, T.Spikes).
base D... Manny held LOS very well vs RT... Spikes flies in for great stuff on RB... Franklin held well, and slid to help tackle RB, very nice... Sopoaga dropped back, as if to cover a possible screen or flat area... Justin slid to the run well
2nd and 8 at OAK 47 (8:44) D.McFadden left tackle to OAK 49 for 2 yards (T.Spikes).
base D... Brooks gets upfield quick and shows nice athleticism... Manny holds up on other side TE well... Justin fights well vs double... Franklin holds up and slides well to rush lane... Sopoaga slid till cut low
3rd and 6 at OAK 49 (7:58) J.Russell sacked at OAK 40 for -9 yards (Team).
base D... (Manny + Brooks 3 pt stance)... Manny looked to get the best rush (not bad), but QB fell down... touched down by Manny
Penalty on OAK-C.Green, Illegal Formation, declined. J.Russell touched down by M.Lawson.
4th and 15 at OAK 40 (7:58) R.Schmitt punts 45 yards to SF 15, Center-J.Condo. A.Rossum to SF 16 for 1 yard (J.Alston, J.Condo).

San Francisco 49ers at 7:44 OAK SFO

1st and 10 at SF 16 (7:44) G.Coffee up the middle to SF 18 for 2 yards (G.Warren).
pull block from Wragge... none of the OL got good push... Norris good lead block...
2nd and 8 at SF 18 (7:10) G.Coffee right end to SF 34 for 16 yards (G.Ellis, H.Eugene).
good pull blocks from Snyder, Rachal, and VD for the pitch out... HUGE and fantastic block by Morgan to seal the LB... DWalker sucked on his man, and that was who ultimately chased down Coffee...
1st and 10 at SF 34 (6:21) A.Smith pass incomplete deep middle to A.Battle [G.Ellis].
Snyder failed to block his man coming around the outside... Staley and especially Wragge sucked on blocks from stunting DL... Heitmann and Rachal were fine on that one. Alex has been showing good elusiveness and pocket presence.
2nd and 10 at SF 34 (6:13) G.Coffee up the middle to SF 38 for 4 yards (J.Alston).
decent OL blocking... not greatby any means, but not awful
3rd and 6 at SF 38 (5:29) (Shotgun) A.Smith pass short middle to A.Battle to SF 45 for 7 yards (R.Brown). Caught at SF 42.
nice throw to Battle in the middle... Wragge beaten outside, but Alex steps in nicely... good blocking from the right side.
1st and 10 at SF 45 (4:51) A.Battle right end to SF 39 for -6 yards (T.Howard). A.Battle on end-around - handoff from G.Coffee.
sweet crackback block from Alex on end around... Heitmann released #94 to block downfield, but #94 was all over the play... Scrabble was there anyway... Just well sniffed out by the D
2nd and 16 at SF 39 (3:57) A.Smith pass short middle to G.Coffee to SF 47 for 8 yards (T.Howard, R.Brown). Caught at SF 45.
Beautiful pickup block by Heitmann... Wragge and Staley initially struggle, but recover well enough to make effective blocks... crisp route and throw to RB over middle. Excellent pocket footwork by Alex, best ever seen from him
3rd and 8 at SF 47 (3:10) (Shotgun) A.Smith pass short middle intended for J.Morgan INTERCEPTED by R.Brown at OAK 47. R.Brown to SF 7 for 46 yards (A.Smith).
Staley and Wragge do their jobs well... Heitmann initially does, but doesn't sustain, so his man meets Alex just as the throw is made. In and out of Morgan's hands and picked off. I'm looking at slo-mo replays, and the ball hit Morgan in the hands right in front of his face mask.

Oakland Raiders at 3:01 OAK SFO

1st and 7 at SF 7 (3:01) (Shotgun) J.Russell pass short left to Z.Miller to SF 4 for 3 yards (M.Lawson). Caught at SF 5.
base D... quick out to TE with Manny a yard behind him. No chance at a pass rush, but didn't look like much was gonna get through anyway
2nd and 4 at SF 4 (2:33) J.Fargas right guard to SF 3 for 1 yard (J.Ulbrich, T.Spikes).
base D... Franklin driven backwards 2 yds, and contained. Sopoaga held the POA, and clogged rush lane along with Ulbrich and TKO
3rd and 3 at SF 3 (1:56) J.Russell pass incomplete short middle to L.Murphy (M.Roman).
showing 3 DL and Brooks standing... DL neutralized (Sopoaga doubled)... quick middle pass high and behind receiver... bounces off his hands as Roman wraps up quickly
4th and 3 at SF 3 (1:50) (Shotgun) J.Russell pass incomplete short middle to L.Murphy.
base D... 4 DL with Brooks/Manny at DE... not much rush on this quick pass... pass is too high out of endzone... Nate on target's back with Roman underneath

San Francisco 49ers at 1:46 OAK SFO

1st and 10 at SF 4 (1:46) PENALTY on OAK-T.Kelly, Neutral Zone Infraction, 5 yards, enforced at SF 4 - No Play.
1st and 5 at SF 9 (1:46) G.Coffee up the middle to SF 11 for 2 yards (R.Brown).
nice blocking from Heitmann up the gut... Wragge turned his man just enough... Rachal lost ground, but wasn't big liability... VD and Staley did their job fine... Snyder did okay hitting second level... Norris did okay lead blocking a LB... VD's man beat him and made the play.
2nd and 3 at SF 11 (1:11) G.Coffee right tackle to SF 16 for 5 yards (R.Brown).
Staley did his easy job while Wragge pulled nicely... Rachal got to second level, blocking LB well... Heitmann's guy beat him around his shoulder, but not a detriment... Snyder, Norris, and VD did well enough.
1st and 10 at SF 16 (:26) A.Smith pass incomplete short right to G.Coffee.
Snyder did enough, but Rachal got actually thrown off by his man (#93) on inside move and caused pressure in Alex's face... nice elusiveness by Alex rolling to sideline... thrown away... all other OL did well. Alex still should have beamed a sideline pass to Coffee before throwing it away
2nd and 10 at SF 16 (:18) G.Coffee up the middle to SF 34 for 18 yards (H.Eugene).
Heitmann sidestepped his man out the rush lane... fantastic wash out block by Wragge and Staley... Snyder and Rachal did just enough... good enough job by Morgan and Spurlock... Vernon did very well (showing that power) vs DE...

END OF 1st QUARTER
Thanks oldman49er!

How about doing the 3rd or 4th quarter, cause I missed the second half?
  • Mex49
Nice work,
now can you please forward this to our local sports writers so they can pretend they watched they game too
Thanks fellas... (funny, Mex49)

... and I'll try to find time mebemused... could be a couple of days when I can really sit and focus on the 2nd half.
IM glad someone else watched the same game...I am not a Smith apologist, etc...but he looked much improved.... used pocket well.... the announcers said he threw a wobbly pass to Bruce but i saw it get deflected...and the pick may have been because Morgan isnt used to catching a ball with that zip on it as Hill has more touch at this point.. I guess I end up rooting for Smith because the media seems to say how horribly he did but when you break it down, he was doing most of what he needed to do...
Great breakdown!
These are great - thanks old man
  • cgida
  • Veteran
I have read both of these preseason reports and I feel that these are the most insightfull and indepth play-by-play looks we have out there. Those 49er fans who are short on experience with football can gain an enormous amount of insight from these reads.

Great Job!!!
There are two points I want to make:

1. Kevin Lynch is the only journalist who so far has claimed that the 49er WRs are not getting separation. If he is correct, it partly explains why both of our QBs having some difficulty.

2. Most Hill advocates have no doubt that Hill should be our starter, and cannot understand why Singeltary hasn't already named him. But it is clear that Singletary knows that the call is not that easy to make. Something concerns him about Hill.
Great post! Thanks!

• susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Hey are you trying to take MM's job.
I very much appreciate your thoughts, but I think you're a little too forgiving of our guys. Had I just read your analysis without knowing the end result of the plays, I would have thought we were up 24-0 at halftime.

No disrespect intended, just my observation.
  • B650
  • Veteran
Originally posted by ubaisore94:
IM glad someone else watched the same game...I am not a Smith apologist, etc...but he looked much improved.... used pocket well.... the announcers said he threw a wobbly pass to Bruce but i saw it get deflected...and the pick may have been because Morgan isnt used to catching a ball with that zip on it as Hill has more touch at this point.. I guess I end up rooting for Smith because the media seems to say how horribly he did but when you break it down, he was doing most of what he needed to do...

Agreed. He looks much more poised this year.
Great job again Om9, this is part of the reason why you are one of my favorite posters!
Originally posted by B650:
Originally posted by ubaisore94:

Agreed. He looks much more poised this year.

Made some good decisions. A couple of passes were a little high but still catchable. Overall I thought he did pretty good. I would say that Hill did just as well if not a slight bit worse than Smith. Lets see what the OLine(who did amazing in run blocking and fair in pass blocking) can do against the Girls.
Share 49ersWebzone