There are 245 users in the forums

Balmer over Sopoaga

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by Legbreaker:
I have seen the future of our defensive line, and his name is Ricky Jean Francois.

RJF? Future? Me thinkie no way.

He's headed to the practice squad, unless someone breaks down.
Originally posted by jreff22:
Watched the replay last night and ICE was nonexistent. He got into the QB's face one time but the O Line was setting up a screen. Balmer should be starting over him, it couldn't get much worse.
Sopoaga has really played poorly in the first two preseason games, from what I've seen. Very disappointing.

Balmer is still learning, but seems to give a better effort.
Sopoaga > Balmer
  • NickV
  • Veteran
I will admit that I was one of the posters wanting to re-sign Soap the year he was a free agent. Can you blame me? He was all the physical tools to be a great nt. But the guy just doesn't not play like it!

Kinda wish we spent that money elsewhere. I guess he is good for depth though.
Originally posted by bigmike55:
Sopoaga > Balmer

Debatable now. At the end of the year? It looks like Balmer is on an upswing. Soap is the same as he ever was. I really like Ice, he's probably the strongest guy we have on our team, but Balmer is gonna be better.
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
How about we sign Vince Wilfork next year.
  • 4ML
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Kolohe:

Though I hate Wilfork and consider him a dirty player, I would love have him on the 49ers!!!! He is a beast and will make our 3-4 legit instantly.
Originally posted by Kolohe:

Its gotta B tru
Right-o NineFan...for all his size and strength, Sopoaga still hasn't become the monster DL we'd all hoped for. It just seems like he can't get technique to compliment his strength. Best thing he has going for him is the ability play both DE and NT. With youngsters like Balmer and Jean-Francois, he'll either have to knuckle down or he'll lose PT because they'll progress and he'll still just be a very strong guy who's not that effective. Count Evans in the mix, too, because he's a solid vet DE who'll be a good player for us. My take...let Soap and Franklin rotate, keeping a fresh NT in there. Leave DE for Balmer, Evans, J-F, J. SMith and Ray Mac.

• GORO
  • Veteran
There are some tough decesions for Sing to make. Sopoaga may not be a pass rusher ala Richard Seymour but there was a statistic comparing 3-4 defensive line in the NFL and I remember that Smith, Franklin and Sopoaga were up there with the Patriots and Steelers stats.
Originally posted by GORO:
There are some tough decesions for Sing to make. Sopoaga may not be a pass rusher ala Richard Seymour but there was a statistic comparing 3-4 defensive line in the NFL and I remember that Smith, Franklin and Sopoaga were up there with the Patriots and Steelers stats.

Haha, it's thinking like this that always makes me look skeptically at stats.
Originally posted by TheRatMan13:
Originally posted by matt49er:
Originally posted by English:
Why not put him in there at NT? That is where the need is

Franklin has been playing very well since Sing took over

Yes he has. I dont know why there is still a bunch of hate for Franklin. He is not expected to get a pass rush. He clogs the middle and he is doing a much better job since Coach changed up the scheme.

Wrong... a 3-4 NT needs to either get forward push of the QB's pocket (preventing QBs from stepping in from outside pressure) or he needs to penetrate an A-gap to cause havoc of the QB's pocket. Either way, it's ideal if either method forces an OC and OG to have to deal with said NT... this allows more favorable blocking matchups for the rest of the front 7. Franklin looked better than I have ever seen him vs the Raiders, but one preseason game (esp. vs the Raiders OL) doesn not a good NT make. There is still hope, but not much from him. He doesn't demand enough doubles, rarely gets pressure up the gut, and doesn't anchor the LOS enough.
  • Hopper
  • Veteran
I'm getting sick of Sopoaga. All strength, but absolutely no technique or any leverage skills.
Originally posted by oldman9er:
Originally posted by TheRatMan13:
Originally posted by matt49er:
Originally posted by English:
Why not put him in there at NT? That is where the need is

Franklin has been playing very well since Sing took over

Yes he has. I dont know why there is still a bunch of hate for Franklin. He is not expected to get a pass rush. He clogs the middle and he is doing a much better job since Coach changed up the scheme.

Wrong... a 3-4 NT needs to either get forward push of the QB's pocket (preventing QBs from stepping in from outside pressure) or he needs to penetrate an A-gap to cause havoc of the QB's pocket. Either way, it's ideal if either method forces an OC and OG to have to deal with said NT... this allows more favorable blocking matchups for the rest of the front 7. Franklin looked better than I have ever seen him vs the Raiders, but one preseason game (esp. vs the Raiders OL) doesn not a good NT make. There is still hope, but not much from him. He doesn't demand enough doubles, rarely gets pressure up the gut, and doesn't anchor the LOS enough.

How Franklin played against the raiders was exactly how he played the last half of 2008.
Share 49ersWebzone