There are 65 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

oldman9er's first half observations

Fantastic work! I absolutely LOVE when fans analyze games. So, that said, what are your thoughts?
Originally posted by RedRazor:
How did you like the seats?

Sorry, oldman9er is not the same guy as oldninerdude. The latter, oldninerdude, and his wife, both enjoyed the seats immensely.

BTW, we found outselves seated in the midst of these lovely ladies who apparently are the wives of various Niners. Mrs. Snyder? Mrs. Heitmann? Staley's gf? A great side benefit to the tiks that you didn't mention.
[ Edited by oldninerdude on Aug 17, 2009 at 8:25 PM ]
You put more thought into one half of football than all the ESPN guys do in an entire season.

Awesome.
Originally posted by oldninerdude:

Sorry, oldman9er is not the same guy as oldninerdude. The latter, oldninerdude, and his wife, both enjoyed the seats immensely.

Glad to hear you liked them

Glad to hear you liked them

We were one section over from the big fight that occurred while Clayton was down. Couldn't see a thing when everyone stood up. The players turned and looked our way though, and waved to their wives/gfs--that's how we figured out who the hotties were. The game was fun to watch, too.
  • flow
  • Veteran
Thanks for the analysis!
Originally posted by NCommand:
Fantastic work! I absolutely LOVE when fans analyze games. So, that said, what are your thoughts?

Without yet "studying" the second half yet, my quick thoughts on the first half:

- Keasey is full of suck... nuff said.

- Snyder really blocked well... there were one or two that could have turned ugly, but he did what was necessary to keep it good.

- Wragge was full of suck in this game too... definitely was more a liability than a plus for us. I expected better from him by now.

- Both QBs did "okay"... I'll leave it at that, so as not to turn this into a pointless QB debate.

- Glen Coffee does not look like the power back that I envisioned SF drafting. That said, he really ran the ball well... good vision and showed that 1 cut and hit the hole.

- Our OL showed signs of being the run smashing team that Mike wants... but too much inconsistency... Staley still didn't dominate the run... same for Heitman (though a few times, he did)... Rachal sure can (inconsistent)... and Snyder looking better at this too.

- After just having casually watched most of this 3rd quarter, I really think Snyder has the RT job. Marvel (in limited focus) has not looked as impressive or motivated as I expected.

- Our CBs still play too far off their man. This has to change and soon.

- I didn't see too much of Goldson... couple of tackles (1 impressive hit)

- Manny and Haralson did a bit better than most fans give credit for. Still have to show that they can consistently cut it back in on blockers instead of relying on speed. I felt the same as they did about the rush when I watched it live. After watching it again, the pressure was not so bad... but the QB was getting the ball out very quickly. This probably was because of our soft coverage more times than not.

- Franklin is still full of suck... he had 2 snaps where he was "okay" but still not a real impact. The rest, he was either useless in pass rush, or getting beaten off the LOS. Our other DL held up well on the line of scrimmage most of the time.

- Harris looked solid (though so slim) in limited 1st half action. Brooks was hit or miss. Justin Smith was a monster... Evans was a lil better than I expected. Balmer and Sopoaga was hit or miss, mostly hit, but nothing dazzling. McKillop struggles in coverage... slides to a run play well most of the time.
  • dugo
  • Veteran
Originally posted by oldman9er:
Originally posted by NCommand:

Without yet "studying" the second half yet, my quick thoughts on the first half:

- Keasey is full of suck... nuff said.

- Snyder really blocked well... there were one or two that could have turned ugly, but he did what was necessary to keep it good.

- Wragge was full of suck in this game too... definitely was more a liability than a plus for us. I expected better from him by now.

- Both QBs did "okay"... I'll leave it at that, so as not to turn this into a pointless QB debate.

- Glen Coffee does not look like the power back that I envisioned SF drafting. That said, he really ran the ball well... good vision and showed that 1 cut and hit the hole.

- Our OL showed signs of being the run smashing team that Mike wants... but too much inconsistency... Staley still didn't dominate the run... same for Heitman (though a few times, he did)... Rachal sure can (inconsistent)... and Snyder looking better at this too.

- After just having casually watched most of this 3rd quarter, I really think Snyder has the RT job. Marvel (in limited focus) has not looked as impressive or motivated as I expected.

- Our CBs still play too far off their man. This has to change and soon.

- I didn't see too much of Goldson... couple of tackles (1 impressive hit)

- Manny and Haralson did a bit better than most fans give credit for. Still have to show that they can consistently cut it back in on blockers instead of relying on speed. I felt the same as they did about the rush when I watched it live. After watching it again, the pressure was not so bad... but the QB was getting the ball out very quickly. This probably was because of our soft coverage more times than not.

- Franklin is still full of suck... he had 2 snaps where he was "okay" but still not a real impact. The rest, he was either useless in pass rush, or getting beaten off the LOS. Our other DL held up well on the line of scrimmage most of the time.

- Harris looked solid (though so slim) in limited 1st half action. Brooks was hit or miss. Justin Smith was a monster... Evans was a lil better than I expected. Balmer and Sopoaga was hit or miss, mostly hit, but nothing dazzling. McKillop struggles in coverage... slides to a run play well most of the time.

These are awesome posts,loved the way you broke the game down. Also what player did what and which player was " full of suck" . I'll be looking forward to reading more posts from you thru out the season.
3rd QUARTER OBSERVATIONS

Denver Broncos at 15:00, (1st play from scrimmage 14:54) DEN SFO

1st and 10 at DEN 39 (14:54) C.Simms in at QB. P.Hillis up the middle to DEN 42 for 3 yards (S.McKillop).
base D... RJF at RDE and Egboh at LDE show good awareness closing in on run up the gut... Mitchell at NT does well in giving up nothing... Harris at LOLB is stronger than he appears... holds on a brief double team well... McKillop + Brooks help contain inside run
Timeout #1 by SF at 14:07.
2nd and 7 at DEN 42 (14:07) P.Hillis up the middle to DEN 48 for 6 yards (A.Brooks).
play already underway when the camera returns to the field...
3rd and 1 at DEN 48 (13:31) P.Hillis right guard to SF 48 for 4 yards (R.Jean Francois).
base D... Egboh gets turned near sideways and pushed out of rush lane... fantastic hussle from RJF to fly in for the tackle (really amazing)... poor effort and awareness from LB Roland, and McKillop guessed on the wrong hole.
1st and 10 at SF 48 (12:55) C.Simms pass short left to J.Putzier to SF 39 for 9 yards (C.Taylor). Caught at SF 48.
base D... easy and quick pass to TE in flat... Brooks slow to recognize and pursue what was clearly his assignment. RJF was fooled on that misdirection play as well.
2nd and 1 at SF 39 (12:21) P.Hillis right end to SF 27 for 12 yards (R.Smith).
base D... DL stuffed middle well... looks like the RB improvised well in cutting it out strongside... Harris was blocked well enough by the TE to spring that outside.
1st and 10 at SF 27 (11:33) P.Hillis left guard to SF 22 for 5 yards (J.Roland).
base D... RJF crashes inside (taking himself out of the play direction) and Harris gets blocked well again to spring another nice rush lane and run... Mitchell at NT is actually holding the LOS pretty well... CB Thomas should have been credited for a diving tackle. Denver really pounding away... the DL is sucking wind a bit
2nd and 5 at SF 22 (10:54) (Shotgun) D.Walker right guard to SF 17 for 5 yards (S.McKillop, M.Washington).
have us spread out with only 3 DL... RJF shedding blocks well... nearly makes the tackle... Egboh is twisted out of the rush lane... decent effort by LB Washington to contain the run. (really left ourselves vulnerable to the run there)
1st and 10 at SF 17 (10:09) D.Walker right guard to SF 14 for 3 yards (R.Smith).
base D... a double team on Egboh (where the play was going) finds him pushed out of the lane and dumped on his arse... Brooks ran the arc, taking himself outside the lane... Reggie Smith makes nice open field tackle...
2nd and 7 at SF 14 (9:29) (Shotgun) C.Simms pass incomplete short left to B.Lloyd.
4 DL... little screen pass to WR... decent awareness from Harris and good hussle from RJF to converge on WR... very nice awareness and diving stop by CB Thomas. (throw was low and lousy, that helped)
3rd and 7 at SF 14 (9:23) (Shotgun) C.Simms pass short middle to N.Swift to SF 3 for 11 yards (S.McKillop). Caught at SF 9.
3 DL with Brooks standing up... Brooks looks impressive until he meets LT who thoroughly dominates him... double team on RJF, can't advance but loses no ground... good short zone coverage from Harris... unfortunately, I have to guess the LDE is Egboh... who looks to upfield nicely, but also gets doubled... McKillop a lil slow trailing behind the receiver on a short drag route.
1st and 3 at SF 3 (8:42) PENALTY on DEN-B.Gorin, False Start, 5 yards, enforced at SF 3 - No Play.
1st and 8 at SF 8 (8:20) (Shotgun) P.Hillis left end to SF 6 for 2 yards (C.Taylor).
again, 3 DL with Brooks in a 2 point stance (standing)... Harris gets upfield quickly, but the play is opposite him... Egboh gets angle blocked from making any impact... RJF and Brooks engage and hold up well, so that McKillop can flow to the RB and shut him down.
2nd and 6 at SF 6 (7:36) (Shotgun) C.Simms pass short left to J.Putzier for 6 yards, TOUCHDOWN. 6 9
3 DL, Brooks standing up... (Harris at LDE spot often in this)... Harris gets upfield quickly, but gets washed passed the QB well. Same with Brooks... RJF gets stonewalled by the LG... same for Egboh vs RG... LB Washington gives up too much cushion and can not close the distance on the TE running a 10 yd out in the endzone...
M.Prater extra point is GOOD, Center-L.Paxton, Holder-B.Kern. 7 9
PENALTY on SF, Defensive 12 On-field, 5 yards, enforced between downs.
M.Prater kicks 74 yards from DEN 35 to SF -9. M.Spurlock, Touchback.
DRIVE TOTALS: DEN 7 SF 9, 12 plays, 61 yards, 7:29 drive, 7:29 elapsed

San Francisco 49ers at 7:31 DEN SFO

1st and 10 at SF 20 (7:31) D.Huard in at QB. T.Clayton right guard to SF 20 for no gain (A.Davis).
Ball is snapped before the camera keyed on it. All I can really say is that Toledo (pulling OG) Spurlock, and Finley really sucked on their blocking efforts, as did it seem all OL failed also.
2nd and 10 at SF 20 (6:47) D.Huard pass short left to J.Finley to SF 21 for 1 yard (J.Williams). Caught at SF 20.
quick pass... Marvel looked solid out of his stance... Spanos at RG was free and helped OC Wallace a little... Toledo (LG) and Sims (LT) did okay... free DB rush around Sims, but again, quick pass... Finley went down fast... why is he on the roster?
3rd and 9 at SF 21 (6:03) (Shotgun) D.Huard pass short left to M.Spurlock ran ob at SF 35 for 14 yards (J.Bell). Caught at SF 25.
Marvel got driven back much too quickly... Spanos lost a lil ground, but anchored back... same with Wallace... Toledo did okay... Sims would have allowed the sack had the ball been held a lil longer
1st and 10 at SF 35 (5:35) T.Clayton up the middle to SF 38 for 3 yards (D.Reid).
Finley initially did a fair job of blocking #95 (Darrell Reid), but failed to maintain the block... so #95 came inside to make the RB tackle... Marvel stood his man up, but got no impressive push... Wallace disappeared quickly, think he got shoved down in the pile... Toledo did well hitting the second level block... Sims mauled his man in the back, how was that not flagged?
2nd and 7 at SF 38 (4:59) D.Huard pass short right to M.Spurlock to SF 48 for 10 yards (S.Larsen, D.Bruton). Caught at SF 36
Quick, near lateral pass to Spurlock... who did a nice job of slipping a tackle and turning on the jets.
1st and 10 at SF 48 (4:29) D.Huard sacked at SF 40 for -8 yards (C.Baker).
Marvel struggled with #95... gave Huard some time, but 5 seconds proved to be too much time to hope for. Toledo at LG was an even bigger failure here, got badly driven right into Huard by Chris Baker. Which reminds me, why didn't we pick Baker up as an UDFA?
2nd and 18 at SF 40 (3:54) T.Clayton right end to SF 46 for 6 yards (D.Reid).
decent Pascoe block on #95 was the key to springing this run... all other OL didn't get much push... Sims' guy flew past him (if that were a pass play, Huard would have easily been crushed)
3rd and 12 at SF 46 (3:08) (Shotgun) D.Huard pass incomplete short right to J.Finley (J.Bell).
Marvel did well on this block and even hit another defender in his area... Spanos did fine... Wallace got backed up a yard but anchored... Sims was again beaten badly around the edge... another half-second and the ball is swatted out of Huard's hand or Huard is sacked.
4th and 12 at SF 46 (3:01) A.Lee punts 54 yards to end zone, Center-B.Jennings, Touchback.
Penalty on SF, Illegal Formation, offsetting, enforced at SF 46 - No Play.
Penalty on DEN, Defensive 12 On-field, offsetting.
(2:52) A.Lee punts 36 yards to DEN 18, Center-B.Jennings. K.McKinley to DEN 23 for 5 yards (M.Price, C.Taylor).

Denver Broncos at 2:40 DEN SFO

1st and 10 at DEN 23 (2:40) (Shotgun) C.Simms pass incomplete deep right to N.Swift [S.McKillop].
base D... Mitchell (NT) gets 2 yard push up the gut... same for Egboh... RJF got 5 yards upfield well. Jay Moore (LOLB) got SICK pressure on the QB and laid him out. Brooks got a couple yards from QB from other side but got stoned.
PENALTY on SF-J.Word-Daniels, Illegal Contact, 5 yards, enforced at DEN 23 - No Play.
1st and 10 at DEN 28 (2:36) P.Hillis left end to DEN 27 for -1 yards (R.Jean Francois, J.Moore).
base D... RJF and Jay Moore were the key playmakers here... they stood up their blockers, and crushed the RB.
2nd and 11 at DEN 27 (1:58) (Shotgun) C.Simms pass short left to P.Hillis to DEN 32 for 5 yards (S.McKillop). Caught at DEN 25 3-6-DEN 32 (1:11)
3 DL with Brooks standing... J Moore as LE... Egboh beat his man best with an arm over... another quick and short pass... Brooks is very explosive in the first 5 yards, but needs to learn how to finish...
(Shotgun) C.Simms pass short left to B.Lloyd to DEN 49 for 17 yards (A.Brooks). P16
3 DL, Brooks standing... Brooks drops in zone coverage... the throw came in under 3 seconds... not enough time for much of a rush. CB Word-Daniels with poor technique on the coverage
1st and 10 at DEN 49 (:29)
(Shotgun) C.Simms pass incomplete deep right to C.Jackson (T.Lambert).
4 DL with J. Moore at LDE and Brooks at RDE... Brooks stunts in but useless... J Moore forces double team from TE and RT... RJF gets good burst upfield and soon demands a double... Egboh singled and useless... 4 second decision to throw... delayed blitz from McKillop and Taylor... very nice deep ball coverage by CB Lambert to knock the streak pass away.
2nd and 10 at DEN 49 (:19) P.Hillis left end to SF 37 for 14 yards (S.McKillop).
3 DL with Brooks in 2 pt stance... Brooks gets well blocked to spring the outside run... RJF gets a couple yds penetration but has no chance at getting over to the runner... McKillop with a nice diving tackle to stop the bleeding.

END OF 3rd QUARTER
You, my man, are a true fan. Anyone who takes the time necessary to put together such an analysis takes his football and team, seriously. Thanks and keep 'em coming!
Originally posted by 4evrfan:
You, my man, are a true fan. Anyone who takes the time necessary to put together such an analysis takes his football and team, seriously. Thanks and keep 'em coming!

Comments appreciated, and I will keep them coming, so long as my free time permits.
Incredible insight, Oldman!!!! Exemplary use of details to do it, too. It's the little things that matter and allows us to view the "inside" game.

As a fan of the game, I really appreciate your efforts and success. As a 49er fan, I am so glad you are one of my bros!!!!

Thanks for giving me and the rest of us that rare glimpse into game.

You sir!
Originally posted by oldman9er:
Originally posted by 4evrfan:

Comments appreciated, and I will keep them coming, so long as my free time permits.

Looks like you would agree with my assessment of K. Mitchell--that he's worth keeping around? He's got the NT size, and appears to have a non stop motor and a mean attitude.

I'd consider keeping him on the 53 man roster, simply cause guys who can play NT are rare, and he seems to have serious potential at NT. I know its early, but if he keeps showing up the way he did vs. Denver, he has to be considered. IMHO.
A.Smith pass short right to J.Morgan to SF 29 for 14 yards (C.Bailey).
All OL did enough to protect... Wragge was looking for someone to block... Alex composed in the pocket... throws a strike on a Morgan hitch route...Morgan stepped into the ball (probably worried about Champ turning sooner for a possible pick)... Morgan ran his route 1 yard shy of the 1st down spot. He hears it from Sullivan on the sideline, and doesn't look pleased.

I as well as the broadcast guy (not Erick Davis) thought Coach should have asked for a measurement. If not maybe throw a challenge flag. Unless the booth had a good view of where Morgan's knee touched.

Looks like you would agree with my assessment of K. Mitchell--that he's worth keeping around? He's got the NT size, and appears to have a non stop motor and a mean attitude.

I'd consider keeping him on the 53 man roster, simply cause guys who can play NT are rare, and he seems to have serious potential at NT. I know its early, but if he keeps showing up the way he did vs. Denver, he has to be considered. IMHO.

Yes, so far... as you stated, it's very early to judge. If he plays as well as what we have seen thus far? Definitely would look to keep him on the P-squad. If he plays even better as he goes? I would very much want him on the 53 man roster. This is all coming from someone with little faith in Franklin... so I might be inclined to trade or cut Franklin right away if Mitchell keeps it up. Mitchell has a ways to go, but me likey so far.

(also been pretty impressed with RJF, but that probably shows already)