LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 265 users in the forums

Offensive Analysis thread (Preseason Week 1)

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by NickSh49:
Both Keasey and Miller won't make the team.

Possible Miller makes the practice squad, but that's about it.

I don't know if you heard but Keasey broke his arm? He may go on IR so it may be a mute point?
keasey is only a special teams player. He offers no other purpose.
Originally posted by 49ERGLENN:

I don't know if you heard but Keasey broke his arm? He may go on IR so it may be a mute point?

Moran Norris? Miller = practice squad
Originally posted by teeohh:

You could be right, we'll see that's what pre-season is all about? If Keasey is gone who is the backup FB to Norris?
Originally posted by teeohh:

You could be right, we'll see that's what pre-season is all about? If Keasey is gone who is the backup FB to Norris?

I cannot remember us keeping 2 fb's on the roster the last few years. Robinson would be the back up fb/rb
  • bsevenseven
  • Info N/A
Well, I'm NOT a fan of Keasey (Martz may be the only one) but he did fracture his arm on a special teams play where he made a nice tackle on the returner. He is, and has been a very solid contributor on special teams. But seriously dude.. BLOCK A GUY!

And for people who are on Brit Millers jock.. lets not get too excited. We'll see what happens over the course of the next 3 preseason games. But he does look to MAYBE be a good project. Practice squad.
  • dugo
  • Veteran
I thought the offense play decent last night,a few mistakes here and there but not to bad considering its a new offensive scheme. I do hope the O line comes together a little better and controls the line of scrimmage better. But not a bad overall performance.
The O-line did fine in pass protection! One sack was Keaseys fault and the other were on the Qb's.
Overall looked to be organized and pretty crisp. That's good when you are running three or four strings of players in and out. The coaches should get kudos for this.

There was more opportunity to try more stuff, like two-minute drills and Davis passing. The coaches should take s**t for not doing that.

It would be sooooo much better for everyone if Smith turned into star, a starter, but... it is still early, but...

Clearly the staff has Hill as the projected starter.

The offensive line did well, but does not seem capable of actually pushing a defense around.

Are Coffee and Sheets going to make Gore look a little slow?

With all the turnovers and great field position, and a fair at best Denver team, the 9ers should have scored far more.

The fear at this early stage is that the offense will be no more than just ok all year, not able to beat good teams or blow away inferior teams.
I did want to see more of Nate Davis.

I thought the O'line played well. At least 2 of the sacks allowed were due to the QB's holding the ball way too long.

Glen Coffee and Kory Sheets will make the team. We could have a trio of RB's who can contribute this year!

Our WR's are solid! No drops.

Our pass rush needs to improve but Denver didnt have to account for P. Willis either.

Michael Spurlock is a gamer! I hope he makes the team over Michael Robinson and Allen Rossum.

Vernon Davis looks great.

Scott McKillop will be a starter in a couple years.

Jason Hill needs to step it up.
Originally posted by SolRebe1:
I did want to see more of Nate Davis.

I wanted to see him at least throw it once. I felt their QB layout was ridiculous, although Huard probably did win it for us. How is the competition even when smith gets 22 mins, and Hill gets one drive? Why did we need to see so much of Huard? I am just complaining because the didn't have women security workers and I missed the whole first drive. Thank god for DVR!

A few other points...
-I wouldn't read into Brit Miller's performance too much. He was wide open both times.
-Sheets looked really good, dare I say, better than Clayton? (this may not evven matter anyway since Clayton got hurt)
-Oline, well, did give up 4 sacks. Two of them, one AS and one Hill, probably could have been avoided.
-Huard showed why he has been around all these years... confidence, sharp passes, and pocket awareness
-VD showed some good hands
-I will be closesly watching this Spurlock guy! He may be pretty decent...
-Morgan got physical, definitely good to see...
Originally posted by 49erRider:
Originally posted by boomer49er:

That play was great. Morgan likely had the option to go a couple different ways on the that route depending on what the DB (Bailey) did.

Doubtful because if I recall correctly, Smith threw the ball before Morgan even made his break. It looked like a timed route in which Morgan was to comeback on the inside, which is what he did, but Smith threw the ball right towards Bailey and Morgan made a great play. If Morgan had options, then Smith shouldn't have fired the ball before he made a break because Morgan could have chosen to break outside and that would have resulted in a pick (maybe even a pick-6). I'm pretty sure it was a planned route though.

Just because it's an option route doesn't mean that you can hold teh ball until he makes the break, because it's already too late at that point. An option route doesn't mean that the WR has an option to run whatever route he wants, he has to read the defense and run the route that is required agaisnt that defense, and Smith had the same read to make. Also, if the trun as to the outside, then Morgan must have broke the laws of physics and teleported himself to the other side of bailey, because he was there just after turning around, he turned tot he inside. The play was great.
Originally posted by SybErkRimInAL:
keasey is only a special teams player. He offers no other purpose.

I will stick to my prediction from the previous 2 years: If Zak Keasey makes your team, your team is not very good.
Anyone else pay attention to Marvel Smith?
Share 49ersWebzone