LISTEN: 49ers Offseason Musings With Legendary Columnist Mike Silver →

There are 142 users in the forums

Offensive Analysis thread (Preseason Week 1)

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Wow talk about over reaction. I really wonder how some of you function in day to day life. LOL.

Everyone performed as expected. Hill looked smoother (because he HASNT been on IR for 1.5-2 years and HASNT had 2 shoulder surgeries). Smith struggled early then came on later. Did you seriously expect Smith to come out and play lights out?? LOL anyone who expected Smith to come out and play really well was kidding them selves. He did well enough. Now, both he AND Shaun got their first game jitters out of the way, its time for the competition to heat up. Its time for Smith to take ownership and thats what I'll be looking for. To me, this game was to see where everyone was at.

Shaun: did well, showed he can get it done and has a natural feel for the drive.

Smith: still starts a little slow, then picks it up. Consistency is key. Hill has more consistency. I think it will come for Alex with more reps.

Overall, the offense looked ok. I really wish we saw some deep passes (especially from Smith) and one 2 min type drill. Instead we become conservative. This game had a strange Nolan-like feel to it.

Anyway, VD looks great, WRs look good, and O-line is not great but better than last year or any other year.

All in all....work in progress...just as expected.

"B" for everyone.
Smith got a bad spot on the pass on third down on his first drive, I think is might have been Morgan who caught it.

Hill did drive the ball down the field, but he also took a sack that stalled the drive, and the ball was held for a very long time on that play.

I don't know why they didn't allow Smith to run the two minute drill at the end of the half, but even without it he did find Morgan for a first down on third and long to keep the ball in our hands to run out the clock. I really can't understand the reasoning for not taking the oppertunity to run a 2:00 drill in a true game situation though.
Originally posted by boomer49er:
Smith got a bad spot on the pass on third down on his first drive, I think is might have been Morgan who caught it.

Hill did drive the ball down the field, but he also took a sack that stalled the drive, and the ball was held for a very long time on that play.

I don't know why they didn't allow Smith to run the two minute drill at the end of the half, but even without it he did find Morgan for a first down on third and long to keep the ball in our hands to run out the clock. I really can't understand the reasoning for not taking the oppertunity to run a 2:00 drill in a true game situation though.

Damn that pissed me off. Just like local Bay Area media to not even mention it to any of our Coaching staff as a question or even a f**king statement.

"You realize you just pulled a Nolan?"
Smith looked like Smith. Same old spotty play we have seen from day 1. It's been five years, and nothing about his game has changed. Has nothing to do with his injury, he's the same guy Nolan drafted half a decade ago.
The offensive unit looked pretty good as a whole. The pass blocking still looks to be an issue along with our short yardage running game. But in general I was happy with what I saw. Sheets looks very explosive and Coffee looks like a Gore clone. Keasy was less than impressive (as usual) and ineffective from what I saw. Its hard to judge the QB competition since Hill was only 2 for 2 but Alex didn't play bad. I wouldn't say he impressed me but he didn't disappoint either. All in all we looked pretty good considering Gore or Bruce didn't even suit up.

On a side note, is Dlove injured? I didn't see him at all.
Originally posted by zillabeast:
Smith looked like Smith. Same old spotty play we have seen from day 1. It's been five years, and nothing about his game has changed. Has nothing to do with his injury, he's the same guy Nolan drafted half a decade ago.

I disagree. 2005 Smith would have thrown 2 picks and fumbled.

Smith is a different QB in terms of his decision. He makes ballsier throws now (even from last pre season you could tell).

But I do agree some old habits die hard (knowing when NOT to roll out, hesitating, going for the easy pass, etc).

We'll see. Hopefully things pan out well. Its only the first pre season game though...although Smith better step it up if he wants this job.
Originally posted by boomer49er:

Maybe they were running the "impose our will - run out the clock" drill. A pillar of Mike Sing's philosophy, yes?
Originally posted by KasparHauser:
Originally posted by Super5:
Originally posted by Bluefalcon61:
Originally posted by KasparHauser:
Hill won tonight 100%. I cannot believe that people think there was no separation. Hill had 1 chance, was 2/2 for 41 yards, and got 3 points. Smith had 4 chances, and only scored when he was given the ball at the 11 yard line.

Agreed. He moved the chains. Got VD involved as a weapon.

Round 1 goes to Shaun.

Alex moved the chains.Got Josh Morgan involved as a weapon.Threw a TD pass to Bret Miller

Round 1 goes to Alex.

Sweet Jesus. Rount 1 goes to Hill. Hill had one chance and scored. Alex Smith had four chances and only scored when he was given the ball on the 11th yard line. And actually, he should have thrown it Davis who was wide open in the end zone.

lord have mercy

We have some very special people on this site

By the way,Shaun Hill did not score 3 points the FG kicker did
It's just the first preseason game so I don't put much into it both good and bad. That being said:

Hill: He threw two passes for 41 yards and led the 49ers to 3 points on the opening drive before leaving the game. His only mistake was holding the ball too long on one play where he was sacked (Smith did the same thing on his first drive).

Smith: He went 5 of 7 (or something like that) but didn't lead the team on a scoring drive until the 49ers defense intercepted a Denver pass and brought it back to the Denver 5 yardline. His 3rd down pass to Morgan on Baileys side (which was short of the first down marker) should have been picked off. He threw behind Morgan so he (morgan) had to come back to the ball and jump in front of Bailey to make the catch. Morgan looked like the db on the play. He missed badly on an easy short pass to a rb and badly over threw a wr down the right sideline on 3rd down. Overall he wasn't horrible but Smith needs to outplay Hill to win the starting job back. Tonight Smith did nothing to make the coaches think twice about naming Hill the starter. Lucky for Smith there is plenty more football to play before a decision is made.

Glen Coffee looked GOOD! He was fast and ran with power. It's still early but he made an impressive debut as a 49er.
[ Edited by nflguy49 on Aug 15, 2009 at 12:21 AM ]
Originally posted by MadMartz:
The offensive unit looked pretty good as a whole. The pass blocking still looks to be an issue along with our short yardage running game. But in general I was happy with what I saw. Sheets looks very explosive and Coffee looks like a Gore clone. Keasy was less than impressive (as usual) and ineffective from what I saw. Its hard to judge the QB competition since Hill was only 2 for 2 but Alex didn't play bad. I wouldn't say he impressed me but he didn't disappoint either. All in all we looked pretty good considering Gore or Bruce didn't even suit up.

On a side note, is Dlove injured? I didn't see him at all.

They held him out the last week because of a concussion.

Overall grade for the offense: F.

Anytime you have a chance to go for a two minute drill before half and you pull a Nolan you should have your blood leeched out of your p***y body.
How about the undrafted rookie out of Illinois who is a converted LB to FB. I am Impressed with Miller and I am rooting for him. He has that funny accent too, one of those guys you just like automatically because the way he talks.
He's a lot better than Zak Keasey... Thats for sure. Did you see Keasey give up 2 sacks?? He couldn't block a 8 yr old girlscout if he had to.
Well if he doesn't make Singletary's cut, at least he put on a hell of an audition for himself for the other 31 teams.
Originally posted by bigmike55:
He's a lot better than Zak Keasey... Thats for sure. Did you see Keasey give up 2 sacks?? He couldn't block a 8 yr old girlscout if he had to.

Yeah Keasey looked very poor. But Miller is a nice change of pace for Norris
Share 49ersWebzone