LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 224 users in the forums

If Crab were a declared F.A right now how much guaranteed $ would....

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by Ceadderman:
Originally posted by global_nomad:
Originally posted by global_nomad:
Question of the Day: If Michael Crabtree were declared a free agent right now, how much guaranteed money would the high bidder offer him?

If 49ers raise guaranteed $ for No. 10 pick by a generous 20% from a year ago, Michael Crabtree would receive $16.6 M. Oak paid DHB $23.5 M.

http://twitter.com/MattMaiocco

If he WERE a FA player right now, based on his career numbers he would get a guaranteed bed pan and that's it.

I think that it's just a question of whether or not he's willing to move back in his demand and the 9ers to move up from their offer.

In any case it's astoundingly stupid for him to make the claim that he's willing to sit for the year and then enter NEXT YEAR in the draft. I mean honestly, there is a GOOD chance that there will be some exciting WRs' that show enough promise to make the GMs' around the NNFL go "Micheal Who?".

At least ONE WR has a good chance of doing that is any of the returning Gators, given that Tebow has run his OWN off season workouts with his OPffensive unit.

I don't know who is directing Crabtree, but they're blind if they can't see that the future does not give him much wiggle room to negotiate.

I want the team to get him signed but if not, good luck to Crabtree.

~Ceadder

I think Maiocco only posed the question so that people could realize two things about Crabtree's demands.

#1. If you are drafted you get paid by slotting not potential
#2. If you are a F.A you get paid by production not potential.

So anyway (including an extension) you sign a contract with a team it is never based on what your projected potential is. So Crabtree's logic about having the potential of the best player in the draft (or a top three player) is very unreasonable because any NFL contract is never based on what you believe your potential is.

Its based on your slot or your production (stats). He wont take his slot and he doesn't have any production on this level so he is being unreasonable, and thats why the media is ripping him about being stupid.

Not everyone is ripping him. Damon Bruce believes the team just needs to get it done. I tend to agree, but if he's being unreasonable it's probably cause those close to him are blowing smoke up his arse. In which case, I take the stance of don't let the door hit you where the sun don't shine on your way out MC. We have enough depth to get along another year without a WR. Giving the team MORE leverage in this than it does MC.

~Ceadder

Although its not entirely fair to blame Crabtree, I completely disagree with the idea of, "the 49ers 'just' need to get it done." That is a completely useless statement.

What should they "just" do?

Should they just give Crabtree a DHB contract?

So, let's say they do that.
Next year, BOTH of our first round picks agents are going to remember the 49ers reputation for overpaying for a player because they "just want to get it done."

The agents will demand higher compensation than normal because the 49ers have proven to the league that they are willing to pay it.

Ironically, whenever the word "just" is used (Damon Bruce) to justify something, its usually because emotion has superseded logic.
  • buck
  • Veteran
I, and maybe I am only an army of one, am not upset with either Crabtree or his agent.

As stated in previous post, by Maddog, we really do not have many, if any, facts about what is going on in the negotiation. I find it hard to get angry when I do not know what is going on.

I do think that there should be a offical rookie wage scale based upon draft slot, but since one does not exist, I do not find it unreasonable for Crabtree's agent, Eugene Parker, to ask for more than norm.

The only threat of a holdout came from his "advisor" cousin, and Parker quickly disowned himself, and by implication Crabtree, from the cousin's words. The biggest concern that I have about Crabtree is that he allows this fool to be in his "posse."

I would like to see Crabtee signed as quickly as possible, but I am not quite willing to predict that a prolonged stalemate will effectively destroy his utility for the team this year.

Anyway, I sit and watch the "drama" unfold.
Originally posted by buck:
I, and maybe I am only an army of one, am not upset with either Crabtree or his agent.

As stated in previous post, by Maddog, we really do not have many, if any, facts about what is going on in the negotiation. I find it hard to get angry when I do not know what is going on.

I do think that there should be a offical rookie wage scale based upon draft slot, but since one does not exist, I do not find it unreasonable for Crabtree's agent, Eugene Parker, to ask for more than norm.

The only threat of a holdout came from his "advisor" cousin, and Parker quickly disowned himself, and by implication Crabtree, from the cousin's words. The biggest concern that I have about Crabtree is that he allows this fool to be in his "posse."

I would like to see Crabtee signed as quickly as possible, but I am not quite willing to predict that a prolonged stalemate will effectively destroy his utility for the team this year.

Anyway, I sit and watch the "drama" unfold.

this
The owners have no one to blame but themselves for the way these SPOILED rookies are acting. Somehow they just keep giving in to their demands.

Sooner or later it will get to the point where the franchises will no longer be able to support the high salary demands and begin to lose money. Sure they can take it out on the fans by increasing ticket prices, but at some point in time, that will reach it's limits as well. Then What?

They need to get their heads together and set a salary limit for each position in the draft ... and don't bend regardless what happens.

But unfortunately that's not likely to happen soon as some owner just like to throw money around..

The other thing that need to be controlled are the Free Agencies ..! Money is just too easy to come by for some of these players ... FORGET ABOUT TEAM SPIRIT, the fans and the old gipper ... because these days ... it's all about ME and the money!
$0
Originally posted by Kauaiguy:
The owners have no one to blame but themselves for the way these SPOILED rookies are acting. Somehow they just keep giving in to their demands.

Sooner or later it will get to the point where the franchises will no longer be able to support the high salary demands and begin to lose money. Sure they can take it out on the fans by increasing ticket prices, but at some point in time, that will reach it's limits as well. Then What?

They need to get their heads together and set a salary limit for each position in the draft ... and don't bend regardless what happens.

But unfortunately that's not likely to happen soon as some owner just like to throw money around..

The other thing that need to be controlled are the Free Agencies ..! Money is just too easy to come by for some of these players ... FORGET ABOUT TEAM SPIRIT, the fans and the old gipper ... because these days ... it's all about ME and the money!

Your term "spoiled" rookies is terribly unfair. Barry Sanders was one of the nicest guys in the NFL, and he held out until three days before the season began to sign a rookie contract with the Lions. He ended up receiving more than the pick above him.

How spoiled was Sanders? As soon as he signed, he donated a huge chunk of his salary, over $200,000, to build Paradise Baptist Church in his hometown.

While some players may be spoiled, this is not always the case. It is unfair to paint everyone as spoiled who does not fall along the wishes of management.

This is a contract negotiation, just like what unions do for teachers, assembly line workers at auto factories, nurses, and other professions to ensure higher wages for their workers. All are strikers "spoiled"?

These are contract negotiations. I wouldn't attempt to throw some form of outside bias against truly greedy and spoiled athletes into it.
Hey guys, I havent been following football that closely yet. Lets get this strait, Crab and his agent want something like a 38 mil contract? correct? Where he should be slotted for about 10 mil? Help me out.

For what? Because he was the 10th pick???

FA players get paid for their past production. Not because of where they were drafted in a league draft.

If he holds out all season long whatever guaranteed money he DOES have coming to him will all but be *poof* from the fines that are racking up. The longer he holds out the less the team is willing to spend to get him into camp. If he misses camp entirely, I would lay odds that he is soon PUP'ed if and when he DOES get signed based on that foot.

~Ceadder

Ok so how much would he get paid if he was a Free agent right now?

My feeling is teams like the bears, or vikings would compete with each other in a bidding war for the best receiver in college, in the same way that baseball teams drive up the price on foreign players like Dicekay or ichiro.

And he would be getting paid for past production in College like Dicekay in Japan, not because of where he was drafted. Imagine the money that would have been thrown at Stafford if he was a FA, it probably wouldnt have been less.

Your argument makes no sense at all, it has nothing to do with the tenth pick and everything to do with potential and teams outbidding each other

[ Edited by LeadFarmer on Aug 8, 2009 at 17:31:57 ]
Share 49ersWebzone