There are 144 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Brandon Jones Suffers Shoulder Fracture (Out 8 to 10 Weeks)

Im guessing this makes the zeigler/battle that much more significant. get well soon jonesy!
Can someone answer this:

Would we be able to put Jones on the PUP list and save another receiver spot? If he's out for 3-5 games why not just put on the PUP and have him comeback after week 6. Would he still count against the 53 man roster or can we save someone like Zeigler, Battle, Hill from PS/Cut fodder?
Originally posted by RichmondPete:
Originally posted by NinerGM:
Sorry guys but I love Sing, its obviously hurting the team. Too many starters and KEY role players are nicked up and we need all the help we can get. The Niners playoff chances really hinge on the first 5 weeks of the season. This team needs to start well and we're already down a key role player and yesterday Morgan had a "close call". I believe in tough football players but let's not miss the forrest for the trees here. I know we have good WR depth but that can get real thin real fast. Camp needs to chill a little. Just a little.

He landed on his own shoulder trying to make a diving catch genius. Do you want them to not try to catch the ball with there hands so they dont risk broken fingers too?

No but I'd like for you to try to use what little brain you have before making a comment.

Dumb must be contagious around here or something. It's perfectly possible to go through camp and not have a RASH of injuries given the level of physicality that's occurring at camp.

RIF = Reading is Fundamental

How many articles have I read that "Niner camp is far more contact oriented than other camps I've seen...." - Mike Sando, ESPN.

Again, I'm not saying football isn't a contact sport, but there just maybe, might have been something to the Walsh Philosophy of keeping your players a little more fresh.

If this was THE ONLY player injured, sure you'd have a point - but it's not - so you don't.

Lets review now shall we?

Pro Bowl linebacker Patrick Willis sprained an ankle on the first day of practice and has not returned.

It might be a while before left guard David Baas (needed for running game) or running back Michael Robinson are ready to go again.

Outside linebacker Parys Haralson (will rely on him for effective pass-rush) has a hip flexor injury. He returned Wednesday for individual drills but not team work. Right guard Chilo Rachal was held out of practice after being hit with the first migraine of his life at the end of Tuesday afternoon's session.

Fullback Moran Norris (needed for running game) practiced one day, Monday, before straining his hamstring. Cornerback Tarell Brown has missed time with a toe injury.

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2009/08/06/SP14194C0H.DTL

[ Edited by NinerGM on Aug 7, 2009 at 13:15:37 ]
Originally posted by 5280High:
Can someone answer this:

Would we be able to put Jones on the PUP list and save another receiver spot? If he's out for 3-5 games why not just put on the PUP and have him comeback after week 6. Would he still count against the 53 man roster or can we save someone like Zeigler, Battle, Hill from PS/Cut fodder?

Gotta be injuried before camp to go on the PUP list.
Can someone answer this:

Yeah, i think we could do that. That's what the team will probably do with McDonald. But that also means when he's activated, someone has to get cut so he could go on the 53 man roster.
Originally posted by boomer49er:
Can someone answer this:

I googled the rule and from what I can tell it just has to be before the 65-man roster cut. I dont think we've made that correct? Is there something else that would prohibit this?
Originally posted by niner4life21:
Actually, i calculated wrong on when he would be back. I said the 3rd game of the season. If we start from today, he would be back for the 5th game of the season, but thats if its exactly 8 weeks.

I think he could recover a lot earlier. I mean how do they go from 2 weeks, to 8 weeks in one day? I think that Singeltary probably knows its less, but that he just said 8 just in case something happens during the process. He took the safe guess.

8 weeks from today is October 2nd, the Fri before our 4th game against the Rams at home.
Originally posted by olapac:
Can someone answer this:

Yeah, i think we could do that. That's what the team will probably do with McDonald. But that also means when he's activated, someone has to get cut so he could go on the 53 man roster.

I stand corrected. I think boomer49er is right about this. You can't be on the active roster at the start of training camp, and then get put on PUP. So Jones will take up a roster spot.
  • Axl49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by USC49ER:
Via twitter from Maiocco and Barrows

will be re-evaluated in the am

out 8 weeks
Can someone answer this:

I googled the rule and from what I can tell it just has to be before the 65-man roster cut. I dont think we've made that correct? Is there something else that would prohibit this?

No, you can't get injured in camp and be placed on the PUP.

There are two PUP lists, the active and the reserve. If you show up to camp injured you are placed on the active PUP list, meaning that you can return at any time, later on there is a deadline to be placed on the reserve PUP list, if you're on this list you can't return until I believe week 6 or the regular season. The kicker is that you MUST be on the actuve PUP list before you can be placed on the reserve PUP list.

So, like I said, he's not qualified to be placed on the PUP list.
Originally posted by dngt49:
hahaha sorry it reminded me from a scene step brothers..had to say it

Lol I got it. Nice pull
Originally posted by KowboyKiller:
Originally posted by niner4life21:
Actually, i calculated wrong on when he would be back. I said the 3rd game of the season. If we start from today, he would be back for the 5th game of the season, but thats if its exactly 8 weeks.

I think he could recover a lot earlier. I mean how do they go from 2 weeks, to 8 weeks in one day? I think that Singeltary probably knows its less, but that he just said 8 just in case something happens during the process. He took the safe guess.

8 weeks from today is October 2nd, the Fri before our 4th game against the Rams at home.

alright thanks man. Lets hope he makes it before that time frame...
Can someone answer this:

Got it... thats a bummer, would of been sweet to be able to keep an extra reciver around on the roster.

No, you can't get injured in camp and be placed on the PUP.

There are two PUP lists, the active and the reserve. If you show up to camp injured you are placed on the active PUP list, meaning that you can return at any time, later on there is a deadline to be placed on the reserve PUP list, if you're on this list you can't return until I believe week 6 or the regular season. The kicker is that you MUST be on the actuve PUP list before you can be placed on the reserve PUP list.

So, like I said, he's not qualified to be placed on the PUP list.

Got it... thats a bummer, would of been sweet to keep an extra receiver on the roster. (edited no clue what happened to the last response)

[ Edited by 5280High on Aug 7, 2009 at 13:17:08 ]
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Wow Jones out 8 weeks!!!

Son of B%!$H was having a good camp!!!
Originally posted by RichmondPete:
Sorry guys but I love Sing, its obviously hurting the team. Too many starters and KEY role players are nicked up and we need all the help we can get. The Niners playoff chances really hinge on the first 5 weeks of the season. This team needs to start well and we're already down a key role player and yesterday Morgan had a "close call". I believe in tough football players but let's not miss the forrest for the trees here. I know we have good WR depth but that can get real thin real fast. Camp needs to chill a little. Just a little.

He landed on his own shoulder trying to make a diving catch genius. Do you want them to not try to catch the ball with there hands so they dont risk broken fingers too?

No but I'd like for you to try to use what little brain you have before making a comment.

Dumb must be contagious around here or something. It's perfectly possible to go through camp and not have a RASH of injuries given the level of physicality that's occurring at camp.

RIF = Reading is Fundamental

How many articles have I read that "Niner camp is far more contact oriented than other camps I've seen...." - Mike Sando, ESPN.

Again, I'm not saying football isn't a contact sport, but there just maybe, might have been something to the Walsh Philosophy of keeping your players a little more fresh.

If this was THE ONLY player injured, sure you'd have a point - but it's not - so you don't.

Lets review now shall we?

Pro Bowl linebacker Patrick Willis sprained an ankle on the first day of practice and has not returned.

It might be a while before left guard David Baas (needed for running game) or running back Michael Robinson are ready to go again.

Outside linebacker Parys Haralson (will rely on him for effective pass-rush) has a hip flexor injury. He returned Wednesday for individual drills but not team work. Right guard Chilo Rachal was held out of practice after being hit with the first migraine of his life at the end of Tuesday afternoon's session.

Fullback Moran Norris (needed for running game) practiced one day, Monday, before straining his hamstring. Cornerback Tarell Brown has missed time with a toe injury.

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2009/08/06/SP14194C0H.DTL

These injuries aren't happening because of a physical camp. These injuries happen in every camp. Falcons have lost Douglas for the season, Ravens Mark Clayton has a hamstring injury already. Maybe if they walk through everything then no one will get hurt? Maybe Mr. Glass would but he is long gone