LISTEN: 49ers Offseason Musings With Legendary Columnist Mike Silver →

There are 140 users in the forums

Visit to Candlestick Park

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Hi
I'm a huge 49ers fan from Denmark, Europe.

I'm going to visit San Francisco at the end of November, and have arranged tickets for the Jax game on November 29th.

I have rented a car for my visit to San Francisco, but are not sure what to do on gameday.

Is it possible to get any parking spaces around the stadium? If yes how early do we have to be there to be sure?

Or is it better to use public transportation such as bus etc.?

Thanks in advance for any response.

I am looking very much forward to be in Candlestick Park.

[ Edited by 49ers4ever on Jul 30, 2009 at 14:30:04 ]
Originally posted by 49ers4ever:
Hi
I'm a huge 49ers fan from Denmark, Europe.

I'm going to visit San Francisco at the end of November, and have arranged tickets for the Jax game on November 29th.

I have rented a car for my visit to San Francisco, but are not sure what to do on gameday.

Is it possible to get any parking spaces around the stadium? If yes how early do we have to be there to be sure?

Or is it better to use public transportation such as bus etc.?

Thanks in advance for any response.

I am looking very much forward to be in Candlestick Park.

Well, we always have a tailgate party before the game where we get there around 9ish...almost 4 hours before the game. They are a real blast. I think it is 20-25 dollars for parking, too. If you are picking up tickets, sometimes you can also get a parking pass so find out for yourself.

Good luck in your travels and we look forward to meet a fellow Niner Bro from Denmark.

Anyone else want to share their thoughts and show a little 49ers hospitality?

Oh, and keep in touch obviously as you get closer to November.

[ Edited by ninertico on Jul 30, 2009 at 15:49:46 ]
I will tell you that you should expect to stick around for a while after the game unless you want to sit in a jammed parking like for 1-2 hours. Candlestick is a mess after the game.
Originally posted by 49erRider:
I will tell you that you should expect to stick around for a while after the game unless you want to sit in a jammed parking like for 1-2 hours. Candlestick is a mess after the game.

Yeah I agree!
"Is it better to use public transportation such as bus etc.?"

Yes, without a doubt it's much better to take a bus to the game. Instead of sitting in traffic for a few hours after the game the bus is given special routes out so it doesn't take long to get back to your hotel. We stayed at the westin and it took roughly 30 minutes once we got on the bus after the game to reach our hotel(Because our hotel was near one of the last stops. Some fans reached their hotel in about half the time we did.). Prior to that trip we had rented a car for a 49ers game and sat in a nightmare traffic jam after the game. The only way I would take my own car would be if I were planning to tailgate before AND after the game.

[ Edited by nflguy49 on Jul 30, 2009 at 23:11:25 ]
Originally posted by bigbobby49:
Originally posted by 49erRider:

Yeah I agree!
  • navarro49ers
  • Info N/A
check out club49.org to tailgate and you will have a blast... get there around 9am and party till gametime

GO NINERS!!!
I would love to visit Candlestick Park one of these days. Can you guys give me an estimate on how much I would need to take . Im saying gas, hotel, game, food. It will only be for 2 days. What do you guys think? I heard everything is expensive in San Fran. Is that true?
Get to the stick by 8:00 am.

Buy a cheap (or borrow) mini webber. (bbq)

Bring tons of beer. and crap to cue.

The stick is a dump but hey, its got character!

Bring enough stuff to bbq again after the game. Sitting in the brutal traffic to get
outta there is just painful and not worth the stress.

Taking mass transit is cool and all but I'm telling ya man. You might as well have yourself the whole gameday experience. Nothing like bbq and tipping a few while being sorrounded by your people in red baby!

Good luck and have fun!
Originally posted by pelos21:
I would love to visit Candlestick Park one of these days. Can you guys give me an estimate on how much I would need to take . Im saying gas, hotel, game, food. It will only be for 2 days. What do you guys think? I heard everything is expensive in San Fran. Is that true?

Well, tickets can range, so I can't really include that, but give a range...
Tickets (50-150)
Hotels (100-200) pending on your taste
Food - Usually I stop by whole foods and stock up (~$40) and tailgate
Drinks - my wife and I usually split a 12-pack before the game (~15$) and get a single Sierra a piece during the game ($19)
Parking - $25 next to the stadium (pre-pay only) and far dirt lot. $30 for dirt lot just outside stadium.

Total - $364-$500 for everything, I would guess. You could obviously save with hotel and score a good ticket price. There is also party buses that leave from the Southbay or other neighboring cities.

Hi

Now the big event (at least for me as it is my maiden visit to Candlestick ) is getting closer, and I would like to pop a question more.

We are going to stay in Van Ness Avenue, San Francisco, if you were to take a bus, where do they go from?

Thanks in advance for all your help to make our maiden trip to one of the greatest places on the earth an amazing experience.
How did you get to be a 49ers fan in Denmark? Are you in Copenhagen?
No I am not in Copenhagen, actually almost as far as you can get from Copenhagen and still be in Denmark.

We are living in a small city in the northern part of Denmark called Frederikshavn, which you probably has never heard about before.

I became a ninerfan back in 88/89. This were the first season they showed NFL on national TV in Denmark. But they only showed the Gameday show once a week. The first full game were also a live game, superbowl XXIII where I were just as amazed as everyone else by the game winning drive known as 'The Drive' conducted by a certain Joe.

After that game I have since been an addicted ninerfan. But I have only seen them live once before, and that was in the Superdome at Saints back in December '06

And nowerdays it is easier to follow NFL and the niners as we have at least 4 live games a week, sunday noon, sunday evening, sunday night and monday night. Beside this we are also getting all special games on national TV such as Thursday games and Thanksgiving games. So NFL is popular in my small home country.
Hi

Now the big event (at least for me as it is my maiden visit to Candlestick ) is getting closer, and I would like to pop a question more.

We are going to stay in Van Ness Avenue, San Francisco, if you were to take a bus, where do they go from?

Thanks in advance for all your help to make our maiden trip to one of the greatest places on the earth an amazing experience.

You will have a blast, bro.

All else being equal, I would do as suggested above and drive there around 8 and tailgate with the Webzone.

However, if that is not an option, two alternative transportation methods come to mind:

1. Tommy's Joynt is on Van Ness and Geary and used top have a shuttle to the Stick. Call or email them for information.

2. The 77x Muni route leaves from California and Van Ness every few minutes. LINK HOWEVER, you'll likely not hit the stadium until 11 a.m. at the earliest, which limits your tailgate time.
Originally posted by NineFourNiner:
Hi

You will have a blast, bro.

All else being equal, I would do as suggested above and drive there around 8 and tailgate with the Webzone.

However, if that is not an option, two alternative transportation methods come to mind:

1. Tommy's Joynt is on Van Ness and Geary and used top have a shuttle to the Stick. Call or email them for information.

2. The 77x Muni route leaves from California and Van Ness every few minutes. LINK HOWEVER, you'll likely not hit the stadium until 11 a.m. at the earliest, which limits your tailgate time.

I would recommend having lunch at Tommy's Joynt, which is a really cool Hof Brau with a full bar. You can get some good grub and a good buzz, then take the 77x to the Stick. (which does have a stop across Geary from Tommy's)

Forget the Tailgate if you're not driving yourself.
Share 49ersWebzone