There are 74 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Crabtree Falls Behind = Brandon Jones as Starter?

It seems like this Crabtree thing is getting uglier by the hour. Of course, there is a lot of potential BS floating around. Parker could be planting rumors among colleagues, who are then spreading the bs further to national media as "good sources".

So the question is, if Crabtree slides down the totem pole, who benefits most?

Personally, I think Brandon Jones is the guy. The reports said he looked good in camp, ran tight routes and caught everything that was thrown his way. He runs a 4.38 40 time, and has pretty good size at 6'1, 210. Morgan is probably the number 1, with Bruce and Jones vying for the number 2 spot. They might even give Bruce the number 1 spot, based on his production last year.

So where does that leave old Crabtree? Well, he's going to have to fight Jones and Bruce to crack the starting lineup. If he misses a good chunk of training camp, he is probably invisible for the first half of the season. This is probably the worst case scenario imaginable, since he has been injured all this time. He was supposed to be healthy by training camp, and now it might not even be his health holding him back.

To think, I was about to get a Crabtree jersey right after the draft. Now I'm glad I didn't. Hardly the start to a great career.
Quote:
To think, I was about to get a Crabtree jersey right after the draft. Now I'm glad I didn't. Hardly the start to a great career.
Bruce and Morgan
We're all hoping everything is resolved soon, but things aren't looking to bright for Crabs at the moment as he could very well end up in a nightmare situation where he holds out due to contract talks - something along the lines of (god forbid) the Raiders' qb in Jamarcus Russell.

There's a few reasons of why I feel he won't be a huge contributor to our offense this year.

- foot surgery/rehabilitation.

- behind in OTA's/playbook/actual route running

If the season were to start today, I like Jason Hill in that spot imo. Brandon is experienced, yes - but Hill already has a chemistry with Shaun Hill under center despite Raye's new incoming playbook this year.
as its been stated many times before here, dont look for crabtree to make a huge difference especially with this hold out, he is already behind and this only makes matters worse. so how does the depth chart look w/o crabs?

maybe something like this??

morgan
bruce
jones
hill
battle
zeigler
Crabtree was ALREADY behind Brandon Jones dude. This isn't even a question. Jones is an NFL vet who was in mini-camp. Crabtree is a talented rook who has yet to practice with the team at any position.
Originally posted by billybonka:
We're all hoping everything is resolved soon, but things aren't looking to bright for Crabs at the moment as he could very well end up in a nightmare situation where he holds out due to contract talks - something along the lines of (god forbid) the Raiders' qb in Jamarcus Russell.

There's a few reasons of why I feel he won't be a huge contributor to our offense this year.

- foot surgery/rehabilitation.

- behind in OTA's/playbook/actual route running

If the season were to start today, I like Jason Hill in that spot imo. Brandon is experienced, yes - but Hill already has a chemistry with Shaun Hill under center despite Raye's new incoming playbook this year.

Hah, I totally forgot about Jason Hill. He looked pretty good last year in clutch situations. Maybe Hill could step it up too. Crabs has got a lot of competition to rise above if he wants to start. Sadly, if we give him a gigantic contract, we will have to start him eventually, whether he deserves to or not.
Originally posted by Psinex:
It seems like this Crabtree thing is getting uglier by the hour. Of course, there is a lot of potential BS floating around. Parker could be planting rumors among colleagues, who are then spreading the bs further to national media as "good sources".

So the question is, if Crabtree slides down the totem pole, who benefits most?

Personally, I think Brandon Jones is the guy. The reports said he looked good in camp, ran tight routes and caught everything that was thrown his way. He runs a 4.38 40 time, and has pretty good size at 6'1, 210. Morgan is probably the number 1, with Bruce and Jones vying for the number 2 spot. They might even give Bruce the number 1 spot, based on his production last year.

So where does that leave old Crabtree? Well, he's going to have to fight Jones and Bruce to crack the starting lineup. If he misses a good chunk of training camp, he is probably invisible for the first half of the season. This is probably the worst case scenario imaginable, since he has been injured all this time. He was supposed to be healthy by training camp, and now it might not even be his health holding him back.

I'd say it is still kinda early to count out crabtree. I admit he does have a few people ahead of em. Hell everyone including ziegler is ahead of em. If he didn't take a snap this season, I aint to sure it would bother me none! As long as he is gettin up to speed and out wr's are doing just fine! Honestly tho id like to see em there sooner then later to get the game speed and on field experience.
But hey he is only hurting himself by waitting. Being greedy at this early stage in his career makes me think he has no confidence in his ability, like he won't get the payday later. Ha ha ok maybe a slight stretch lol. I personally think he could be the next great niner wr. And should report to camp asap. But that's just me, and the rest of ya all. Personally I think everyone is jumping the gun a bit here tho. I mean just bout all the 1st rders aint even signed yet!

Come on crabs!
Originally posted by NinerGM:
Crabtree was ALREADY behind Brandon Jones dude. This isn't even a question. Jones is an NFL vet who was in mini-camp. Crabtree is a talented rook who has yet to practice with the team at any position.

• the_woad
  • Info N/A
I'm personally not expecting much out of him this year. As a general rule, you should not expect too much from any rookie receiver.

But with that said this guy is a monster. He redshirts as a true freshman, and then wins the Belitnicof (sp?) Award TWICE? As a redshirt freshman and sophomore?! Had he stayed in college, he could have conceivably been the nation's top receiver for four consecutive years.

This kid is sick. His resume thus far is second to none.

Some players can just flat out ball. This guy makes it look easy. I would not worry about him getting a slow start because he will come around, and for the first time in ages we have depth at WR.

[ Edited by the_woad on Jul 27, 2009 at 23:49:54 ]
  • FreaKWilly52
  • Info N/A
I think jones has a good chance, but hes unproven. a lot of people seem to forget about Battle. Hes a tough receiver with good hands, and is the best blocking WR on the team. Jones and Battle will be competing for the slot it seems.
Originally posted by hklar17:
as its been stated many times before here, dont look for crabtree to make a huge difference especially with this hold out, he is already behind and this only makes matters worse. so how does the depth chart look w/o crabs?

maybe something like this??

morgan
bruce
jones
hill
battle
zeigler
my projection w/ crabtree after the final 53 man roster cut:

bruce
morgan
hill
jones
crabtree
ziegler
spurlock (ps)
battle (cut)
"Multiple league sources" tell Profootballtalk.com that the agent for Michael Crabtree hasn't even made a contract proposal to the 49ers yet.
This, with Niners rookies scheduled to report Tuesday. PFT passes along a "theory" making the rounds that Crabtree's foot isn't healed, so agent Eugene Parker is stalling on his client's behalf. Either way, the likely holdout and injury are enough to make Crabtree an undesirable fantasy pick at this point.
Source: Profootballtalk on NBC Sports
Originally posted by King49er:
"Multiple league sources" tell Profootballtalk.com that the agent for Michael Crabtree hasn't even made a contract proposal to the 49ers yet.
This, with Niners rookies scheduled to report Tuesday. PFT passes along a "theory" making the rounds that Crabtree's foot isn't healed, so agent Eugene Parker is stalling on his client's behalf. Either way, the likely holdout and injury are enough to make Crabtree an undesirable fantasy pick at this point.

Wow this is def news, im curious if he hasn't healed on time? Is it due to him practicing and running when he is suppose to be rehabbing? Sing did have to tell the man to chill a bit during practice drills! I hope he aint a premadonna, he hasn't shown anything yet. But he will be a gamer tho. Better yet he will be a niner. He needs to sign that damn line lol
Originally posted by frankie:
Originally posted by King49er:

Wow this is def news, im curious if he hasn't healed on time? Is it due to him practicing and running when he is suppose to be rehabbing? Sing did have to tell the man to chill a bit during practice drills! I hope he aint a premadonna, he hasn't shown anything yet. But he will be a gamer tho. Better yet he will be a niner. He needs to sign that damn line lol

Best idea was one I saw someone else post in another thread. He should sign a contract worth less than Darrius Heyward Bay, like pick 8-10 type of money. Then load his contract with all kinds of incentives to make it a pick 3-5 contract if he gets, say, 10 touchdowns and over 800 yards and 60 receptions. Not likely, but at least this will give him some motivation to get his ass into training camp.