There are 300 users in the forums

what are the chances that our offense runs this smoothly?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by alanbeez22:
lets state the facts and not WHAT IFS! fact is JOE MONTANA WON 4 SUPERBOWLS! FACT IS STEVE YOUNG WON 1 SUPERBOWL! FACT IS JOE MONTANA HAS 2 SUPERBOWL MVP'S, STEVE YOUNG HAS 1. FACT IS JOE MONTANA HAS 273 THROWING TOUCHDOWNS AND 20 RUSHING TOUCHDOWNS. STEVE YOUNG HAS 232 PASSING TOUCHDOWNS AND 43 RUSHING TOUCHDOWNS. FACT IS JOE MONTANA HAS 40,551 PASSING YARDS, STEVE YOUNG HAS 33,124. FACT IS JOE MONTANA FUMBLED 53 TIMES, STEVE YOUNG FUMBLED 68 TIMES.

FACT IN THIS SITUATION JOE MONTANA STATS SPEAK FOR IT SELF! HE WAS THE BETTER QB! NOT THE BETTER RUNNING QB! THE BEST QB! STEVE YOUNG WAS THE BETTER RUNNING QB! THAT'S WHY TOM BRADY IS COMPARED TO JOE MONTANA! NOT STEVE YOUNG! HOW MANY SUPERBOWLS DOES TOM BRADY HAVE??? IT'S CAUSE HE STAYS IN THE POCKET AND DOESN'T FLUSH OUT!

DON'T GET ME WRONG STEVE WAS GREAT, BUT NOT AS GREAT AS JOE! FACTS SPEAK FOR THEMSELVES!

It's all about vision.
lets state the facts and not WHAT IFS! fact is JOE MONTANA WON 4 SUPERBOWLS! FACT IS STEVE YOUNG WON 1 SUPERBOWL! FACT IS JOE MONTANA HAS 2 SUPERBOWL MVP'S, STEVE YOUNG HAS 1. FACT IS JOE MONTANA HAS 273 THROWING TOUCHDOWNS AND 20 RUSHING TOUCHDOWNS. STEVE YOUNG HAS 232 PASSING TOUCHDOWNS AND 43 RUSHING TOUCHDOWNS. FACT IS JOE MONTANA HAS 40,551 PASSING YARDS, STEVE YOUNG HAS 33,124. FACT IS JOE MONTANA FUMBLED 53 TIMES, STEVE YOUNG FUMBLED 68 TIMES. FACT IN THIS SITUATION JOE MONTANA STATS SPEAK FOR IT SELF! HE WAS THE BETTER QB! NOT THE BETTER RUNNING QB! THE BEST QB! STEVE YOUNG WAS THE BETTER RUNNING QB! THAT'S WHY TOM BRADY IS COMPARED TO JOE MONTANA! NOT STEVE YOUNG! HOW MANY SUPERBOWLS DOES TOM BRADY HAVE??? IT'S CAUSE HE STAYS IN THE POCKET AND DOESN'T FLUSH OUT! DON'T GET ME WRONG STEVE WAS GREAT, BUT NOT AS GREAT AS JOE! FACTS SPEAK FOR THEMSELVES!

well yeah joe has more stats and superbowls but thats because he played more years as a starter. sorry but if you think the 93 secondary was as talented as the 81 secondary than youre on crack dude. and joe wasnt healthy in 92 so thats a big flaw in your 2 more superbowls argument as well. i mean really there was a reason that in 94 we went out and bought a bunch of defensive players like deion, norton, etc. its because the previous teams couldnt stop the really good teams.
Originally posted by WillistheWall:
lets state the facts and not WHAT IFS! fact is JOE MONTANA WON 4 SUPERBOWLS! FACT IS STEVE YOUNG WON 1 SUPERBOWL! FACT IS JOE MONTANA HAS 2 SUPERBOWL MVP'S, STEVE YOUNG HAS 1. FACT IS JOE MONTANA HAS 273 THROWING TOUCHDOWNS AND 20 RUSHING TOUCHDOWNS. STEVE YOUNG HAS 232 PASSING TOUCHDOWNS AND 43 RUSHING TOUCHDOWNS. FACT IS JOE MONTANA HAS 40,551 PASSING YARDS, STEVE YOUNG HAS 33,124. FACT IS JOE MONTANA FUMBLED 53 TIMES, STEVE YOUNG FUMBLED 68 TIMES. FACT IN THIS SITUATION JOE MONTANA STATS SPEAK FOR IT SELF! HE WAS THE BETTER QB! NOT THE BETTER RUNNING QB! THE BEST QB! STEVE YOUNG WAS THE BETTER RUNNING QB! THAT'S WHY TOM BRADY IS COMPARED TO JOE MONTANA! NOT STEVE YOUNG! HOW MANY SUPERBOWLS DOES TOM BRADY HAVE??? IT'S CAUSE HE STAYS IN THE POCKET AND DOESN'T FLUSH OUT! DON'T GET ME WRONG STEVE WAS GREAT, BUT NOT AS GREAT AS JOE! FACTS SPEAK FOR THEMSELVES!

well yeah joe has more stats and superbowls but thats because he played more years as a starter. sorry but if you think the 93 secondary was as talented as the 81 secondary than youre on crack dude. and joe wasnt healthy in 92 so thats a big flaw in your 2 more superbowls argument as well. i mean really there was a reason that in 94 we went out and bought a bunch of defensive players like deion, norton, etc. its because the previous teams couldnt stop the really good teams.

I thought we were talking about the video? The first drive didn't look too smooth to me. They settled for a FG. Either way with Joe or Steve if we could have beaten Dallas we were going to beat Buffalo that year in the bowl. It worked out the way it did for a reason. No regrets!!
well i bet you that if joe never went down or ever got injured steve young would have never seen the field. joe knew how balance worked as well. steve never utilized john taylor correctly. just like i say. steve young was great. but he was no joe montana. joe beat us in 94 with who??? marcus allen! steve young still had rice, taylor and jones, and watters who was in his prime. now if steve youngs stats were close to joes then we'd have a debate. but cmon now. when people talk about greatest of all time you hear joe at the top... not steve young. you even hear elway or favre before steve young. joe cool was the best hands down. steve was in the top10. not thee top.
Odds of:

Running smoothly: 70%
Being effective - 65-70%
As smooth and effective as '92 - 0.000025%
[ Edited by 49erRider on Jul 23, 2009 at 5:24 PM ]
i guess it was steve youngs fault, he shoulda been on defense too. damn that steve young in 1991, youngs first year playing, sitting behind montana for 4 years and the USFL and Tampa before that, young missed almost 6 games with an injury, how is that his fault? still finished with over 2500 yrds, 17 TD's and only 8 INT's.

in 1992 young had a hell of a year, 3,456 passing yards and 537 rushing yards, along with an NFL best 25 touchdown passes and 107.0 passer rating, earning him the Most Valuable Player award. we go 14-2 and we lose to the cowboys 30-20 in the NFC Championship game. did young give up 30 points? or was it our defense?

Get off of it. all you guys knocking young all the time like he's your enemy. there was nothing wrong with Steve Young. Montana was awesome but i still think Montana had the benefit of Walsh and a better Defense. i love them both but i cant stand when people on here hate on steve just because his name isnt joe montana. He was an awesome QB.
Originally posted by hondakillerzx:
i guess it was steve youngs fault, he shoulda been on defense too. damn that steve young in 1991, youngs first year playing, sitting behind montana for 4 years and the USFL and Tampa before that, young missed almost 6 games with an injury, how is that his fault? still finished with over 2500 yrds, 17 TD's and only 8 INT's.

in 1992 young had a hell of a year, 3,456 passing yards and 537 rushing yards, along with an NFL best 25 touchdown passes and 107.0 passer rating, earning him the Most Valuable Player award. we go 14-2 and we lose to the cowboys 30-20 in the NFC Championship game. did young give up 30 points? or was it our defense?

Get off of it. all you guys knocking young all the time like he's your enemy. there was nothing wrong with Steve Young. Montana was awesome but i still think Montana had the benefit of Walsh and a better Defense. i love them both but i cant stand when people on here hate on steve just because his name isnt joe montana. He was an awesome QB.

Agreed.
Originally posted by SanFranAddic:
i was watching 1992 49ers vs bills video on youtube and is amazed how smooth the offense looks! it's amazing! over the last few years it's hard to watch us go through so many 3 and outs. what are the chances of our offense looking like this? oh how i miss when we were elite!

Neither defense could stop the other team. I'm pretty sure there wasn't a single punt the whole game.

This was the No Punt game right? I'm pretty sure we lost this one.
  • Nyner
NONE!
Originally posted by Black59Razor:
Originally posted by SanFranAddic:
i was watching 1992 49ers vs bills video on youtube and is amazed how smooth the offense looks! it's amazing! over the last few years it's hard to watch us go through so many 3 and outs. what are the chances of our offense looking like this? oh how i miss when we were elite!

Neither defense could stop the other team. I'm pretty sure there wasn't a single punt the whole game.

This was the No Punt game right? I'm pretty sure we lost this one.

Yes, we lost this one. Our defense didn't show up.

like i said! steve young was great. he's just not at the top like joe montana! am i wrong?

like i said! steve young was great. he's just not at the top like joe montana! am i wrong?

Joe has the SB's and I do think he was the Best Ever but i also think steve wouldve been better in the same situation. half of steves career was wasted on the USFL, Tampa and sitting behind Joe 4 years. just imagine his numbers if he played those 6 or 7 extra years with the niners like joe did. theyre numbers are pretty close as it is, Joe's numbers wouldve been destroyed if young plays those extra years. you are right bro, Montana is the GOAT, im not disputing that. im just tired of people saying Joe woulda won in 91 and 92. 91 was injury plagued and in essence it was steves rookie year, and 92 steve did his part but the defense was non-existent in the Championship game.

Joe has the SB's and I do think he was the Best Ever but i also think steve wouldve been better in the same situation. half of steves career was wasted on the USFL, Tampa and sitting behind Joe 4 years. just imagine his numbers if he played those 6 or 7 extra years with the niners like joe did. theyre numbers are pretty close as it is, Joe's numbers wouldve been destroyed if young plays those extra years. you are right bro, Montana is the GOAT, im not disputing that. im just tired of people saying Joe woulda won in 91 and 92. 91 was injury plagued and in essence it was steves rookie year, and 92 steve did his part but the defense was non-existent in the Championship game.

i'm convinced with your analogy. i just also believe that in the nfl there are alot of tangables that make things swing one way or the other. in steve youngs case he went to usfl, in steve youngs case he was a rookie with tampa bay and in steve youngs case he was a 4th year rookie behind joe montana. and to his credit he still got the job done. but to be realistic with his style play. his chances of getting hurt earlier into his career then later into his career post 94 season were high. he was a great qb. i just never got into the style he was of a qb. grant it that his defenses were never good as joes until his run in 94. to me he coulda been better but that never happened! just like bo jackson coulda been great but that never happened, or barry sanders case. he coulda been the best player ever in the nfl but it never happened! we could always talk about the what ifs or the what would. but in the case between joe and steve it never happened that way! like i said before and in the middle and now. steve was a GREAT player. he just WAS NEVER as GREAT as joe.... COULDA? maybe!

i'm convinced with your analogy. i just also believe that in the nfl there are alot of tangables that make things swing one way or the other. in steve youngs case he went to usfl, in steve youngs case he was a rookie with tampa bay and in steve youngs case he was a 4th year rookie behind joe montana. and to his credit he still got the job done. but to be realistic with his style play. his chances of getting hurt earlier into his career then later into his career post 94 season were high. he was a great qb. i just never got into the style he was of a qb. grant it that his defenses were never good as joes until his run in 94. to me he coulda been better but that never happened! just like bo jackson coulda been great but that never happened, or barry sanders case. he coulda been the best player ever in the nfl but it never happened! we could always talk about the what ifs or the what would. but in the case between joe and steve it never happened that way! like i said before and in the middle and now. steve was a GREAT player. he just WAS NEVER as GREAT as joe.... COULDA? maybe!

haha i got you man. were basically saying the same thing. i just dont like these half assed niner fans that blame steve for not being joe montana. u dont have the highest completion percentage ever and become a HOF for being a loser. he was reckless at first because of his days of running for his life in tampa. he was tamed a little by mid 90's but one person can only have so many concussions before its time to go, he coulda probably played 3 or 4 more years but it wouldve been dangerous for him and the niners advised him to retire. seeing him crushed in his last game was the saddest moment in my niner lovin life probably tied with seeing us lose to Joe Montana
  • TX9R
  • Veteran
I would say the chances are not good initially. Rarely if ever does a team install an entirely new system on either side of the ball and have it work well. Especially going from such an extreme of the Martz to a more smash mouth style. For all who say it's like Norv's offense we had success with, well Gore and Norris are about the only ones left from then and RBs do what they do regardless of system. Now by the end of the season, yes it should look better, but we could be 4-7 by then.

As far as Steve vs Joe, yes Steve turned the ball over at some crucial times that Joe may not have. But Joe won when we had a good to great defense and great RBs and wasn't put in such bad situations as often. Steve had some terrible defenses when he was winning MVPs, the minute he finally had a good one, he won it all. Then we let Deon and Watters go, along with some defensive retirements and it was pretty much over. Young took way too much of the blame back then.
Share 49ersWebzone