LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 377 users in the forums

what are the chances that our offense runs this smoothly?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by 5TIME49:
Originally posted by hondakillerzx:
Originally posted by WillistheWall:
Originally posted by Joecool:
"Joe Montana watching on the sidelines." Would've had at least 6 superbowls now.

nope.

steve was just as good if not better. times and teams changed, dallas and greenbay were built to destroy us in the 90's.

Now thats FUNNY! Steve was never, has never and will never be anything close to Montana. Steve choked worse than any other QB I have ever seen in the big games, kinda like Mcnabb. Steve was good, Steve was great but he was never a Joe.
I will always think that Steve cost us at lesat 1 more title, but hey he did win us one.

We shoulda beat the Cowterds in '92 and '93. Not saying it was all Steve, but I can honestly say that I was wondering about him then. Never wondered about Joe.
  • KasparHauser
  • Info N/A
Originally posted by singfan:
Dude, Jimmy Raye will attempt to "coordinate" this offense. He was like the 5th choice. There was nobody else left breathing. He was practically retired. He was sleeping at Jet practices. What do you think the chances are?

hey troll you're mom is calling you, you didn't dump the garbage like she asked.
  • BobS
  • Veteran
Originally posted by BMore9ersfan:
Not a chance. That's not to say that our offense wont be effective, but there's no way it runs as smoothly as that 92 team. It's really not even fair to compare our current team to a team lead by a two hall of famers. That team had also been together and running the same offense for several years. There is no way in the world that this current offense will function as smoothly or on a level even close to that 92 team and it boarders on crazy to even ask the question.

Agreed! The only offensive position that is close in talent to that one is running back.
Vernon Davis can run faster than Brent Jones and that's it. Steve Young was a hall of
famer and the current QBs are nothing but mediocre. Don't think there will ever be another Jerry Rice. The offensive line had more talent and was better coached, I could go on and on, why it won't come close to happening.
you guys are all laughing and joking...didnt you see the end of the video!!?? JERRY RICE is down and looks to be injured, I hope he's ok.....
"Joe Montana watching on the sidelines." Would've had at least 6 superbowls now.

nope.

steve was just as good if not better. times and teams changed, dallas and greenbay were built to destroy us in the 90's.

Better than Joe???? ARE YOU KIDDING ME?? If joe stays on the team instead of going to KC, we have two more rings right now. No way in the world Dallas and Green bay get the best of us with joe still there. He took KC all the way to the AFC championship with nobody around him. Steve couldn't win the big one except in 94, when Eddie bought him a Superbowl!!
Originally posted by montana4ever:

nope.

Better than Joe???? ARE YOU KIDDING ME?? If joe stays on the team instead of going to KC, we have two more rings right now. No way in the world Dallas and Green bay get the best of us with joe still there. He took KC all the way to the AFC championship with nobody around him. Steve couldn't win the big one except in 94, when Eddie bought him a Superbowl!!

id have to agree here.. steve young was great but there was a reason he only came in when joe was hurt and never pulled out. steve young got yanked out of a game in 94 against the eagles... do u forget? steve has more touchdowns with jerry rice then montana but montana was montana because he knew how to get the whole team involved with taylor, rice and singletary. i trully believe with out joes smarts we wouldnt have won the superbowl against the bengals. he threw and threw to jerry that last drive then to taylor. he was such a set up guy. i dont think steve had that kinda poise and folded under pressure. he did cost us a superbowl in 92 and 93. who says he didnt have the tools joe montana had? same recievers? a more versatile back. and a solid tight end. grant it the o line was hurt. but our defense was pretty stacked with a defensive guru in seifert. joe was the best there was and best there ever will be. he's the goat of qb's. thats why he's labeled the greatest in so many books. steve was good but became great because he had a great teacher in joe cool
Originally posted by alanbeez22:
i was watching 1992 49ers vs bills video on youtube and is amazed how smooth the offense looks! it's amazing! over the last few years it's hard to watch us go through so many 3 and outs. what are the chances of our offense looking like this? oh how i miss when we were elite!

Neither defense could stop the other team. I'm pretty sure there wasn't a single punt the whole game.
lDang i never knew there was so much hate for steve still. i dont see how you guys can say 2 superbowls though. those cowboys teams were damn good. we had lost a lot of our good defensive players like haley and lott by 93 right? io 94 we had a whole new defense with by, deion, ken norton, woodall, etc. it seems to me that we simply had an old defense that needed talent restocking, and also by that time craig was gone. it was still a good team but not as talented as before. dallas was simply better, walsh wasnt coaching anymore and by that time teams were starting to catch on to the wco.
  • BobS
  • Veteran
You Steve haters need to do some research. True during Young's day the Packers
and Cowboys owned the 49ers, it was mostly the defense's fault not Young's.
I can remember Brett Favre continually throwing into double coverage and still completing pass after pass, I don't think the all time interception leader threw anywhere near his quota against us. And how many times did the defense give up the
long ball to Michael Irvin or Alvin Harper? The secondary in the 80's of Hicks, Lott, Wright and Williamson, and company were far superior to the 90's group. The Joe vs Steve debate is an interesting one, but honestly out of a 100 rating scale one would be
a 99 and the other a 98 ( no one is perfect ) you pick. I think if you swapped them the results would have been pretty much the same.
Originally posted by montana4ever:

nope.

Agreed. Joe had..........Marcus Allen, and that's about it. The 1994 team was stock full of talent. Several QB's could have and should have had the same results that Steve Young did that year. Steve Young IS NOT Joe Montana, by any stretch of the imagination.

A unique feature of 49ers teams in the Super Bowl era was their speed off the snap. John Madden and others commented how quickly the players did this not only in games but in practices. This was something Bill Walsh and Bobb McKittrick instilled as their plan for global football domination. I hope Singletary and Jimmy Raye follow suit.
I find it funny that people think we could have won 2-3 more Super Bowls with Joe as our QB. You guys are aware that he had crushed elbow during the 91-92 season right? Joe was d*mn good but I do think he needs his throwing arm to win.

1993 was the only additional Super Bowl that we could have won with Joe since Young won it all in 1994.
[ Edited by tjd808185 on Jul 23, 2009 at 11:01 AM ]
lets state the facts and not WHAT IFS! fact is JOE MONTANA WON 4 SUPERBOWLS! FACT IS STEVE YOUNG WON 1 SUPERBOWL! FACT IS JOE MONTANA HAS 2 SUPERBOWL MVP'S, STEVE YOUNG HAS 1. FACT IS JOE MONTANA HAS 273 THROWING TOUCHDOWNS AND 20 RUSHING TOUCHDOWNS. STEVE YOUNG HAS 232 PASSING TOUCHDOWNS AND 43 RUSHING TOUCHDOWNS. FACT IS JOE MONTANA HAS 40,551 PASSING YARDS, STEVE YOUNG HAS 33,124. FACT IS JOE MONTANA FUMBLED 53 TIMES, STEVE YOUNG FUMBLED 68 TIMES.

FACT IN THIS SITUATION JOE MONTANA STATS SPEAK FOR IT SELF! HE WAS THE BETTER QB! NOT THE BETTER RUNNING QB! THE BEST QB! STEVE YOUNG WAS THE BETTER RUNNING QB! THAT'S WHY TOM BRADY IS COMPARED TO JOE MONTANA! NOT STEVE YOUNG! HOW MANY SUPERBOWLS DOES TOM BRADY HAVE??? IT'S CAUSE HE STAYS IN THE POCKET AND DOESN'T FLUSH OUT!

DON'T GET ME WRONG STEVE WAS GREAT, BUT NOT AS GREAT AS JOE! FACTS SPEAK FOR THEMSELVES!
Great...if we send Young, Rice, Taylor, Jones & company onto the field.

nope.

So were the 85 Bears. They got their one chance and then Joe had to put em where they were supposed to be.
Share 49ersWebzone