Singletary to pick QB by third preseason game

• indianajim
  • Info N/A
Originally posted by ninertico:

You will like who I pick!

SIR! YES SIR!

lol guess the camera man wasn't supposed to be there.

-9fA
Originally posted by Sabrason:
Originally posted by Kolohe:
Originally posted by King49er:
Originally posted by BrodieFan:
I really don't like to keep pointing this out to Martz fans, but he's still unemployed. Maybe his "magic" has been figured out by NFL defenses. Maybe his system isn't really up to managing a game. Maybe his system gets QB's too banged up. Maybe his system produces too many turnovers. Whatever. He's gone. It's water under the bridge.

We were f**ked right from TC because of him last year, and the fact he did dick all in Detroit shows how good he really is now...

He had weapons with the Lions and they didn't do a f**king thing, someone explain that....

Can't really blame Martz for their awful record when he was there. When Martz was with the Lions, Kitna had back to back 4,000 yard seasons, with offensive rankings from 19 and 22nd. Ranking 16th in points in 2007, they haven't been that good since 1999, we haven't been half as good since 2003. So I wouldn't say he didn't do a thing over there, check there defense, that could give you some answers to their losses.

Thank you. I've stated these facts 1,000X for all the Martz-haters who say he's nothing without Vermeil. Martz has statistically improved qbs and entire offenses EVERYWHERE he's been (including the niners). I believe he improved the Lions offense from dead last to 19th in the two years he was there and Kitna has publically credited him with his drastic improvement during those 4,000 yd seasons.

So you think JTO should still be our QB and we should still have Martz because by now "he would have improved" under Martz?
I really don't like to keep pointing this out to Martz fans, but he's still unemployed. Maybe his "magic" has been figured out by NFL defenses. Maybe his system isn't really up to managing a game. Maybe his system gets QB's too banged up. Maybe his system produces too many turnovers. Whatever. He's gone. It's water under the bridge.

We were f**ked right from TC because of him last year, and the fact he did dick all in Detroit shows how good he really is now...

He had weapons with the Lions and they didn't do a f**king thing, someone explain that....

Can't really blame Martz for their awful record when he was there. When Martz was with the Lions, Kitna had back to back 4,000 yard seasons, with offensive rankings from 19 and 22nd. Ranking 16th in points in 2007, they haven't been that good since 1999, we haven't been half as good since 2003. So I wouldn't say he didn't do a thing over there, check there defense, that could give you some answers to their losses.

Thank you. I've stated these facts 1,000X for all the Martz-haters who say he's nothing without Vermeil. Martz has statistically improved qbs and entire offenses EVERYWHERE he's been (including the niners). I believe he improved the Lions offense from dead last to 19th in the two years he was there and Kitna has publically credited him with his drastic improvement during those 4,000 yd seasons.

What about sacks and turnovers? He didn't do much to improve on those. In fact, quite the opposite. That's where games were lost. Sure, Martz will give you more yardage and make the offense generally more interesting, but when you lead the NFL by a large margin in sacks and turnovers, you can keep that other crap.

You can have all the yardage and big plays you want but if you continually give the ball away and fail to score in the red zone, you're going to lose, and there's no viable counter for that arguement, I'm sorry. That's why he's been fired just about everywhere he's been.

Oh, and one other thing, did Kitna publically credit Martz for getting his head bashed in? Because he should have.
[ Edited by AXEGRINDER on Jul 22, 2009 at 8:01 PM ]
Martz' Fanboys: "He's improved every offense he's ever handled! He's a genius!"

The NFL: "Mike Martz? He doesn't work here anymore. He was fired."

Not really a Mart Fanboy, just arguing that he did make some kind of a difference in Detroit. Although, I did want him to stay for continuity purposes.

Thank you again. I agree. Nice to see that this mod is an objective fan.
[ Edited by Sabrason on Jul 23, 2009 at 8:18 PM ]

Wow, this guy is an unstable lunatic. No wonder his ranting made it onto Letterman. Can't wait to see what he does when he has an entire season as HC to embarrass himself and the entire organization.
[ Edited by Sabrason on Jul 23, 2009 at 8:26 PM ]
Waiting on my tickets for the season opener against AZ. I am so hyped and ready. I wish the season started now. I'm already saying Shaun Hill will be the starter. Its really a no brainer. Go Niners!!!

So you think JTO should still be our QB and we should still have Martz because by now "he would have improved" under Martz?

Uh, JTO deserved to start and deserved to be pulled but I maintain that the poor OL protection had more to do with his demise than the haters like to admit which was evident when MS ripped into them for their poor protection of JTO last season. I do believe that JTO could've kept up most of his gunslinging, productive ways had he not been forced to run for his life almost every play.

Yes, we should still have Martz b/c he orchestrated the best offense since 2003, he was working well with MS during the second half of last season and the continuity was extremely important. He did what he was hired to do (despite making some less-important mistakes) and therefore didn't deserve to be fired. Not sure why that's so difficult to agree with but, then again, I speak as an objective fan not a WZ homer.
[ Edited by Sabrason on Jul 23, 2009 at 9:44 PM ]
  • Nyner
Originally posted by alburns:
I wish we could get this done earlier. It really puts us behind when trying to build chemistry. We could be off to a slow start on offense.

Actually whats going on is Alex has until the 3rd preseason game to unseat Shaun. Everyone knows it's Shaun's job. Personally i don't think he will do it. Hill has that game time magic. It's a rare commodity that's very valuable. Although Smith is much more talented he just can't move the chains as well. I'll be very surprised if anyone other then Hill is under center in week one.

AXE quote: What about sacks and turnovers? He didn't do much to improve on those. In fact, quite the opposite. That's where games were lost. Sure, Martz will give you more yardage and make the offense generally more interesting, but when you lead the NFL by a large margin in sacks and turnovers, you can keep that other crap.

You can have all the yardage and big plays you want but if you continually give the ball away and fail to score in the red zone, you're going to lose, and there's no viable counter for that arguement, I'm sorry. That's why he's been fired just about everywhere he's been.

Oh, and one other thing, did Kitna publically credit Martz for getting his head bashed in? Because he should have.

As other fans have eluded to, sacks and turnovers are not and have never been a part of Martz's game plan. As far as Kitna saying one thing or the other, he had the option to praise Martz, bash him (as you think he should've) or say nothing either way but chose to praise him so who are you to say otherwise. You weren't playing in his system, Kitna was.

Isaac Bruce also continues his glowing endorsement of Martz recently calling him the most brilliant offensive mind in the league. Respected SB winning analysts like JJ didn't think he should've been fired -- can all these pros be wrong? Do you expect me to believe that the know-nothing MS and WZ homers know better than these guys? Sorry, common sense tells me no.

How many more offenses and qbs does Martz have to improve and how many more players have to praise him before you even remotely CONSIDER that MS firing him was a mistake?
[ Edited by Sabrason on Jul 24, 2009 at 10:52 PM ]
Oh yah were is Martz the superstar working?
Sab, you really believe that about jt osullivan? really? you want hill to start but you didnt even notice how much the sacks went down with hill as qb instead of jt? you must not have even watched the games dude because a lot of those sacks were jts fault. oh yea, and your boy martz hated hill and personally pulled him out of the qb competition last year before preseason even started.
Man, i honestly dont care about JTO sucky, and Martz well in my eyes he stopped becoming an issue with the regime change. i mean s**t why not bring back up Nolan and Hos, and anyone else of the past.

To stay on issue of the posting:), it´s pretty reassuring that we will know who our starter is by the end of the third preseason game. It means that whomever we have will have willed their skill set to show that they deserve the job. The only one up I see on hill is that he has been with the current offense for a longer period, however some of those same players smith had in 06 are still there. And if my memory serves correctly VD didnt do too bad that year.

Here are some words from SAC bee that i found pretty re-assuring;

With a new coach, a new toy in Michael Crabtree and a return to a smash-mouth style of play, the 49ers are riding this warm updraft.The question is whether it's legitimate or just a blinding flash of light. I would argue – cautiously – that the good vibrations are justified.

If you can stand the stroll down bad memory lane, 2007 went something like this: The 49ers were coming off an encouraging 2006 season in which they finished 7-9 and swept the division champion Seahawks. The consensus was that Mike Nolan's young team was ready to take the next step, and whispers of a division title were in the air.

Regardless of those who like it or not, it´s some of these words and facts that put smith right up there with hill. I mean with smith, you have what, 4 years to go off of, when he did play un-injured.and with hill´s record you have what, 4 years to play with, with hardly any injuries because he was never a starter and played a full season. And it doesn´t matter why he wasnt.

In my opinion it was a section of each qb´s past that gives them true validity on why they should be in this competition. Now which section you want to highlight is up to you the fan. But both men have their good times and bad. So as a result, it´s why in a way Sing said that by default hill would be the starter, while at the same time, both men are on an equal playing ground.

So by the end of third preseason game, i cant wait until a starter if finally named. and i for one am excited as hell, honestly regardless of who i´d like to be our qb or not.

[ Edited by Jersey9er on Jul 24, 2009 at 01:58:28 ]
How funny and pathetic - the Martz "nut-riders" make the excuse that JTO's problems were due to poor O-line protection, but the same Martz "nut-riders" call that an "Alexcuse" when someone points out that Smith had no protection.

Oh well. I guess inconsistency and lack of self-awareness are more signs of the weak, adolescent mind.
  • indianajim
  • Info N/A
Originally posted by WillistheWall:
Sab, you really believe that about jt osullivan? really? you want hill to start but you didnt even notice how much the sacks went down with hill as qb instead of jt? you must not have even watched the games dude because a lot of those sacks were jts fault. oh yea, and your boy martz hated hill and personally pulled him out of the qb competition last year before preseason even started.

O'Sullivan was sacked 32 times. Hill was sacked 23 times.

Neither number is good at all.