LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 287 users in the forums

Singletary to pick QB by third preseason game

Shop Find 49ers gear online
The sooner Singletary chooses the better. The 9ers don't need even the hint of a QB controversy.
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by Memphis9er:
Originally posted by Kolohe:
Originally posted by King49er:
Originally posted by BrodieFan:
I really don't like to keep pointing this out to Martz fans, but he's still unemployed. Maybe his "magic" has been figured out by NFL defenses. Maybe his system isn't really up to managing a game. Maybe his system gets QB's too banged up. Maybe his system produces too many turnovers. Whatever. He's gone. It's water under the bridge.

We were f**ked right from TC because of him last year, and the fact he did dick all in Detroit shows how good he really is now...

He had weapons with the Lions and they didn't do a f**king thing, someone explain that....

Can't really blame Martz for their awful record when he was there. When Martz was with the Lions, Kitna had back to back 4,000 yard seasons, with offensive rankings from 19 and 22nd. Ranking 16th in points in 2007, they haven't been that good since 1999, we haven't been half as good since 2003. So I wouldn't say he didn't do a thing over there, check there defense, that could give you some answers to their losses.

Hey bro,look up the stats for the lions while Martz was OC and you will see the same shortcomings his offense produced here.They led the league in sacks and turnovers and were near last in the running game.Even with the stud receivers he had there,they couldn't keep from turning the ball over.I will take less yards and points in wins over gaudy yardage and point totals leading to losses any day of the week.Martz's system is dated and no longer a viable NFL option,and his inflexibility in adjusting his system to compensate for what the defenses are doing to counter it is likely why no one has even contacted him about employment.

Which I agree, but the statement was that Martz didn't do a thing when he was in Detroit, which he actually did.
Originally posted by fzrdave:
The sooner Singletary chooses the better. The 9ers don't need even the hint of a QB controversy.

Are we not in that situation right now? No real starter but rather a competition.
Originally posted by Sabrason:
Originally posted by 49er4eva:
All this talk about comparisons, I can't understand how some people can not see this one ........

Both of you are an embarrassment to 49er fans everywhere.

...Great comparison...looks like the same qb in two different uniforms. Only problem is Smith has somehow managed to milk 5 yrs-worth of salary for doing nothing while the Chargers booted Leaf after only 2.
Originally posted by Memphis9er:
I really don't like to keep pointing this out to Martz fans, but he's still unemployed. Maybe his "magic" has been figured out by NFL defenses. Maybe his system isn't really up to managing a game. Maybe his system gets QB's too banged up. Maybe his system produces too many turnovers. Whatever. He's gone. It's water under the bridge.

We were f**ked right from TC because of him last year, and the fact he did dick all in Detroit shows how good he really is now...

He had weapons with the Lions and they didn't do a f**king thing, someone explain that....

Can't really blame Martz for their awful record when he was there. When Martz was with the Lions, Kitna had back to back 4,000 yard seasons, with offensive rankings from 19 and 22nd. Ranking 16th in points in 2007, they haven't been that good since 1999, we haven't been half as good since 2003. So I wouldn't say he didn't do a thing over there, check there defense, that could give you some answers to their losses.

Hey bro,look up the stats for the lions while Martz was OC and you will see the same shortcomings his offense produced here.They led the league in sacks and turnovers and were near last in the running game.Even with the stud receivers he had there,they couldn't keep from turning the ball over.I will take less yards and points in wins over gaudy yardage and point totals leading to losses any day of the week.Martz's system is dated and no longer a viable NFL option,and his inflexibility in adjusting his system to compensate for what the defenses are doing to counter it is likely why no one has even contacted him about employment.

Which I agree, but the statement was that Martz didn't do a thing when he was in Detroit, which he actually did.

It's probably because I didn't give him enough credit after St.Louis you are right, he wasn't a complete disaster in Detroit, but those teams didn't do too much better than we did under him
I seriously am torn between who I want to start.....

Thats a good thing right =/
Originally posted by ninersrule4:
I seriously am torn between who I want to start.....

Thats a good thing right =/

Yes it is. I feel the same way. I would be a little more excited about Smith than Hill, mainly because Smith is young has a nice arm and has shown me that he can play in this league. You could not go wrong with Hill though.
It should be a very fun, competitive and exciting camp.
  • indianajim
  • Info N/A
At least we won't have this guy not telling us how the competition is really going.
[ Edited by indianajim on Jul 21, 2009 at 9:13 PM ]

Thank you. I've stated these facts 1,000X for all the Martz-haters who say he's nothing without Vermeil. Martz has statistically improved qbs and entire offenses EVERYWHERE he's been (including the niners). I believe he improved the Lions offense from dead last to 19th in the two years he was there and Kitna has publically credited him with his drastic improvement during those 4,000 yd seasons.
[ Edited by Sabrason on Jul 21, 2009 at 11:19 PM ]
Martz' Fanboys: "He's improved every offense he's ever handled! He's a genius!"

The NFL: "Mike Martz? He doesn't work here anymore. He was fired."

• Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame

Not really a Mart Fanboy, just arguing that he did make some kind of a difference in Detroit. Although, I did want him to stay for continuity purposes.

Not really a Mart Fanboy, just arguing that he did make some kind of a difference in Detroit. Although, I did want him to stay for continuity purposes.

Kolohe, I wasn't thinking of you when I used the term "Martz Fanboys." I always find it kind of amazing the way people seem to see strategy as static in the NFL. Both offensive and defensive strategy is in a constant state of flux. Teams are constantly reacting to the plans of other teams. If a given strategy doesn't have enough flexibility built into it, it will always fall by the wayside for some period of years until someone brings it back up again with a new label.

You will like who I pick!

[ Edited by ninertico on Jul 22, 2009 at 9:58 AM ]
  • Nes49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by ninertico:

Yes Coach Sing,...please don't hit me.
  • indianajim
  • Info N/A
Originally posted by ninertico:

SIR! YES SIR!