There are 100 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Coach Forester and Our OL: Revisited

If the OL can come together and do well, we have a real shot at getting things right. However, again, I think it comes to schemes and coaching our talent enough.

Forester looks just as bad as Warhop. While with the Ravens (2005 - 07) as OL coach, the team's rushing rank was never once cracked top 15(according to NFL.com) in rushing and this was a team that relied heavily on the run given the flux at QB. Looks to me this is more like a Nolan hire than someone chosen for their qualifications.

I also found this important tidbit:

Finally, it's worth noting that the Baltimore Ravens changed offensive line coaches. Gone is Chris Foerster, who served as the team's offensive line coach since 2005. The Ravens line was miserable in '05, better in '06, and not very good in '07. In 2004, his last year in Miami, his line surrendered the second most sacks in the league (52) and tied for last in yards per rush (3.5). Foerster was hired by San Francisco this year, and I suppose it should surprise no one that the 49ers are 25th in rushing yards, and 3rd worst in sacks allowed (45).

In 2008, first year head coach John Harbaugh brought in John Matsko, who was the offensive line coach during the glory years of the St. Louis Rams earlier this decade. In the late 80s, Matsko coached the offensive line of the USC Trojans to 3 straight Rose Bowls. He also coached perennial Pro Bowlers Willie Roaf, Will Shields, Brian Waters, and Adam Timmerman during his stints in Kansas City and New Orleans.

By no means is the Baltimore Ravens offensive line dominant, but they're trending in the right direction with Matsko developing their mostly very young line. It's hard to quantify the impact of coaching at the NFL level at offensive line, but I think it is definitely a factor. Matsko better have a better idea of how to block James Harrison and LaMarr Woodley,

http://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/2008/12/11/689453/a-closer-look-at-the-balti

Now granted Martz had issues with QB protection - so I can't blame all of those sacks on Forrester while with the 49ers, but you have to ask yourself here - given his tenure with the Ravens, their OL became MUCH better last season once Forrester LEFT.[/indent]

I'm always interested in what other fans say about coaches from other teams (just like we think the Broncos made a huge mistake with hiring Mike Nolan as DC). This is what another fan says about Forrester:

And could someone please tell me how Chris Foerster gets a hall pass? Here’s a coach who left Miami in 2004 after his O-Line was tied for second worst in the league in sacks allowed (52). They also were tied for dead last in average yards per rush (3.5 yards).

In 2005 with virtually the same offensive line personnel and without Foerster the Dolphins were fourth best in the league at protecting the quarterback (26 sacks) and tied for seventh best in average per carry (4.3 yards).

And Foerster became the Ravens offensive line coach and assistant head coach why?

http://ravens24x7.blogspot.com/2006_08_01_archive.html
[ Edited by NinerGM on Dec 29, 2009 at 7:45 AM ]
Wasn't Warhop in charge of pass protection and not the run? Maybe i'm wrong?
Originally posted by tohara3:
Wasn't Warhop in charge of pass protection and not the run? Maybe i'm wrong?

Well I'm talking about both because Forester is in charge of both. Whether or not Warhop was in charge of one or the other doesn't really change the issue no? Forester as an effective OL coach is an open question.
What a buzz kill.. Now I am going to panic, I might even cancel my NFL Sunday Ticket subscription..
IIRC, Warhop left when Nolan did? When Foerster took over at that point the line play improved...fewer sacks and more coherent run blocking. Oh, and the team started to win.

None of this was necessarily due to Foerster, but it would seem he did a decent enough job to at least keep his position. If Singletary hadn't felt Foerster was worth keeping, I would have to reckon he would have been gone with Martz.

It'll be interesting to watch how the line plays in the Jimmy Raye offensive scheme. I'll assume Raye will be telling Foerster how he wants it to work, and it'll be Foerster's job to make sure the line executes properly.

Actually, I'm expecting good things from the o-line this season, as long as everybody stays healthy.
I hope we're right about this. I just want our OL to be much better than it has been and maybe Forester is on a short leash. The season will be dependent on the effectiveness of the OL.
Originally posted by NinerGM:
If the OL can come together and do well, we have a real shot at getting things right. However, again, I think it comes to schemes and coaching our talent enough.

Forester looks just as bad as Warhop. While with the Ravens (2005 - 07) as OL coach, the team's rushing rank was never once cracked top 15(according to NFL.com) in rushing and this was a team that relied heavily on the run given the flux at QB. Looks to me this is more like a Nolan hire than someone chosen for their qualifications.

I also found this important tidbit:

Finally, it's worth noting that the Baltimore Ravens changed offensive line coaches. Gone is Chris Foerster, who served as the team's offensive line coach since 2005. The Ravens line was miserable in '05, better in '06, and not very good in '07. In 2004, his last year in Miami, his line surrendered the second most sacks in the league (52) and tied for last in yards per rush (3.5). Foerster was hired by San Francisco this year, and I suppose it should surprise no one that the 49ers are 25th in rushing yards, and 3rd worst in sacks allowed (45).

In 2008, first year head coach John Harbaugh brought in John Matsko, who was the offensive line coach during the glory years of the St. Louis Rams earlier this decade. In the late 80s, Matsko coached the offensive line of the USC Trojans to 3 straight Rose Bowls. He also coached perennial Pro Bowlers Willie Roaf, Will Shields, Brian Waters, and Adam Timmerman during his stints in Kansas City and New Orleans.

By no means is the Baltimore Ravens offensive line dominant, but they're trending in the right direction with Matsko developing their mostly very young line. It's hard to quantify the impact of coaching at the NFL level at offensive line, but I think it is definitely a factor. Matsko better have a better idea of how to block James Harrison and LaMarr Woodley,

http://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/2008/12/11/689453/a-closer-look-at-the-balti

Now granted Martz had issues with QB protection - so I can't blame all of those sacks on Forrester while with the 49ers, but you have to ask yourself here - given his tenure with the Ravens, their OL became MUCH better last season once Forrester LEFT.[/indent]

I'm always interested in what other fans say about coaches from other teams (just like we think the Broncos made a huge mistake with hiring Mike Nolan as DC). This is what another fan says about Forrester:

And could someone please tell me how Chris Foerster gets a hall pass? Here’s a coach who left Miami in 2004 after his O-Line was tied for second worst in the league in sacks allowed (52). They also were tied for dead last in average yards per rush (3.5 yards).

In 2005 with virtually the same offensive line personnel and without Foerster the Dolphins were fourth best in the league at protecting the quarterback (26 sacks) and tied for seventh best in average per carry (4.3 yards).

And Foerster became the Ravens offensive line coach and assistant head coach why?

http://ravens24x7.blogspot.com/2006_08_01_archive.html

Warned you guys about blocking schemes, the OL and our new "coach" FIRED from the Ravens before Harbaugh and the recent Flacco success.

There's a REASON he was let go.

I warned and tried to tell you it's not just the OL is bad, it's the guy we have coaching them.

NO IMPROVEMENT - if anything the blocking is getting worse.
bump
o-line aint cutting it
was our o-line this bad last year? i honestly don't remember
Good thread. Watching the line it's not just that they are getting straight up beat (though it happens), but they seem totally confused and unaware of who to block and how to do it.
You can't be a rushing team if you can't run and the OL opens no holes. You can SAY you want to run the ball but it means nothing if your OL is so bad that your QB is your leading rusher.
  • GEEK
  • Veteran
Is it really about coaching than it is about the personal we have out there? Rachal continues to make mistakes, and the Snyder/Pashos combo is not doing well.
I have proposed on the Draft Forum the Niners drafting two OL in the first round of the 2010 draft. And, it may be the best or second best OT in the whole draft that can come in and stabilize the RT position.

The guy I an very excited about is a little known LG for Idaho named Mike Iupati, who is the type of big and athletic guard our team needs to move to the next level.

It is clear that our guards are struggling right now, and changes need to be made.
Originally posted by GEEK:
Is it really about coaching than it is about the personal we have out there? Rachal continues to make mistakes, and the Snyder/Pashos combo is not doing well.

Just finished listening to KNBR's interview of Singletary and he said "we were outsmarted". Gary Plummer commented that it's clear that "and we've said this about some of the 49ers' wins, they don't attack ... and the coaches have to work harder to pick up blitzes."

I think it's both I think it's weak talent AND inept coaching. What I'm seeing is that guys aren't prepared. When you lose a guy under a 3-man rush or is not executing technically consistently, that's a mental and a coaching mistake:

1) Coaches either need to be honest and say "this guy can't get it done and we need to replace/bench him" or scheme to give him help.

2) Your game plan shouldn't hinge upon those guys executing in order to win - again that's on coaches. If the players are being asked to do something they can't do, continuing to be stubborn and asking them to do it is insanity. Part of that is on Raye collaborating with Forester.

You have to start looking at Wragge at this point and if he's worse, then someone at some point in the coaching staff decided the talent we have/had during training camp was enough and CLEARLY it's not.

Who's making the decisions about talent/execution?