LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 266 users in the forums

Who thinks Gore will break 1700 yards? Ochocinco?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • Tombo
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Sabrason:
Um, I'm not sure where all the optimism is coming from considering that the problematic OL that's partially responsible for Gore's downhill slide since 2006 has not improved much nevermind the fact that he gets taken down by the first tackler that hits him and is now good for at least one fumble or other major mistake per game.

Couple that with the fact tht he will now share the load instead of being the featured back and it doesn't bode well for a 1700+ yd season. Not saying Gore won't do well just not 1700 yds-well. I think the only remote chance of those kind of numbers is if MS follows through on his promise of a run-first game plan and gives Gore most of and a ton of carries per game.

If so, you can expect the niners to find themselves playing catch-up a lot since Gore does not score many TD's anymore and therefore they will have no answer for a quick-striking passing attack of opponents.
MS never said "run first", he said run when we want to. Gore gets taken down by the first tackler? Did you watch him play in any games? Our o-line will be better due to coaching changes and subtle personnel changes. With the addition of Norris, and what seems to be a great workout program this offseason, he could have a great year. Better than '06? Who knows. Go get'em, Gore.
I love frank gore and chad ochocinco.
Originally posted by Tombo:
Um, I'm not sure where all the optimism is coming from considering that the problematic OL that's partially responsible for Gore's downhill slide since 2006 has not improved much nevermind the fact that he gets taken down by the first tackler that hits him and is now good for at least one fumble or other major mistake per game.

Couple that with the fact tht he will now share the load instead of being the featured back and it doesn't bode well for a 1700+ yd season. Not saying Gore won't do well just not 1700 yds-well. I think the only remote chance of those kind of numbers is if MS follows through on his promise of a run-first game plan and gives Gore most of and a ton of carries per game.

If so, you can expect the niners to find themselves playing catch-up a lot since Gore does not score many TD's anymore and therefore they will have no answer for a quick-striking passing attack of opponents.
MS never said "run first", he said run when we want to. Gore gets taken down by the first tackler? Did you watch him play in any games? Our o-line will be better due to coaching changes and subtle personnel changes. With the addition of Norris, and what seems to be a great workout program this offseason, he could have a great year. Better than '06? Who knows. Go get'em, Gore.

You're completely wrong. Not only did MS announce it to the entire football world when he was first hired but in fact said he wants a "run-first mentality" and that's a direct quote. Member "Singfan" recently dug up the link to that statement so feel free to search for it or ask him. He wants a more "conventional" offense that's focused on the run.

Yes, I watched Gore in games as I don't normally make things up out of thin air. I routinely witnessed Gore getting stopped for short or no gains (esp at critical times), getting easily tackled, tripping over his own shoe laces and grass and now being good for at least one fumble or other costly mistake per game. Until or unless proven otherwise, Gore is no longer an elite back but is the best RB in the league to be a non-factor in most games.
[ Edited by Sabrason on Jul 10, 2009 at 12:32 AM ]
Well regardless he's still had 3 straight 1000 yard seasons.
Originally posted by XAnGeLicDiAbLoX:
Well regardless he's still had 3 straight 1000 yard seasons.

And he'll make it 4.

-9fA
Originally posted by Memphis9er:
Originally posted by hondakillerzx:
Originally posted by WheresWaldo:
Originally posted by Apples:
Was probably talking about himself.

Well he did say "Niner fans get ready".

maybe he's trying to trade himself here lol

No thanks...we do not need that jackass.

yeah we do actually...would you rather have him or a ziegler?

yeah.....think id rather have Chad Johnson.

You're completely wrong. Not only did MS announce it to the entire football world when he was first hired but in fact said he wants a "run-first mentality" and that's a direct quote. Member "Singfan" recently dug up the link to that statement so feel free to search for it or ask him. He wants a more "conventional" offense that's focused on the run.

Yes, I watched Gore in games as I don't normally make things up out of thin air. I routinely witnessed Gore getting stopped for short or no gains (esp at critical times), getting easily tackled, tripping over his own shoe laces and grass and now being good for at least one fumble or other costly mistake per game. Until or unless proven otherwise, Gore is no longer an elite back but is the best RB in the league to be a non-factor in most games.

I watched alot of games and saw the same thing. But you need to remember he had an ankle injury. He was also very loyal to Mike Nolan and I think that really effected his mind state. He is is still an elite running back and you will see that this year. I'm not sure about 1,700 yards, but at least 1,400-1,500. Gore is still a beast.
Originally posted by Niners99:

if he came on for free, sure why not?

But at his price? I think we could spend the money elsewhere.

-9fA
  • Envy
  • Veteran
Wonder what Coffee in Sheets will amass?
Since this system will look more like the one he flourished in a few years ago, it's a safe guess that Gore will do better than he did last year. The O-line is also more settled in and continuity is important there. The o-line has obviously been fashioned to be a big, mauling, punishing group and it obviously wasn't perfectly suited to the Martz system last year, but it's perfect for Raye's system.

And, since the receiving corps is deeper and better than it has been in many years, my guess is there will always be better targets for either QB. Add to that the stellar reports on how the QB's are taking to the Raye system and I would bet that it will be harder for defenses to stack up against the run this year.

Taking all that into account, it's safe to say 1700 combined yards and I wouldn't be surprised at over 2000 combined at about 1400 and 600.

Originally posted by BrodieFan:
Since this system will look more like the one he flourished in a few years ago, it's a safe guess that Gore will do better than he did last year. The O-line is also more settled in and continuity is important there. The o-line has obviously been fashioned to be a big, mauling, punishing group and it obviously wasn't perfectly suited to the Martz system last year, but it's perfect for Raye's system.

And, since the receiving corps is deeper and better than it has been in many years, my guess is there will always be better targets for either QB. Add to that the stellar reports on how the QB's are taking to the Raye system and I would bet that it will be harder for defenses to stack up against the run this year.

Taking all that into account, it's safe to say 1700 combined yards and I wouldn't be surprised at over 2000 combined at about 1400 and 600.

Plus we added one of the best RB coaches in the league with the return of Woody.
The addition of Woody is huge. (sorry, everyone)

I think one of Rathman's greatest strengths was blocking blitzing LB's and he's clearly working with the running backs on this. Singletary even said something he never forgets about that famous Niners/Bears playoff game in Chicago is the way Rathman stoned him out on a blitz.
Originally posted by 9erfanAUS:
Originally posted by Niners99:

if he came on for free, sure why not?

But at his price? I think we could spend the money elsewhere.

-9fA

i dont think his price tag is as high as people think. he hasnt been worth much money lately, but hes still got something left.

i wouldnt actively persue him, but we could definitely use him here. hes just an idiot who gets overly excited about things. he isnt a criminal or someone who gets in fights all the time like the rest of that team.
[ Edited by Niners99 on Jul 10, 2009 at 1:32 PM ]
Our receiving corps is deeper than it's been in years. Why would we need to bring in another expensive receiver? If we're going to spend a bunch of money on a free agent, wouldn't a premier pass rusher be more bang for the buck?

Most offenses are run first, did you just call Frank Gore a non factor? Hes acounted for like 45% of the 49ers offensive production since he became the starter. What do you think it makes you look smarter if you rag on everything?
Share 49ersWebzone