There are 80 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Do we have a realistic shot at winning the NFC West?

- If our QB play is at LEAST as good as the way Shaun Hill played last season, we can be in the top half of the league.

- If our defense plays at LEAST as good as they played toward the end of last season, we can be in the top half, maybe top 10, of the league.

We need BOTH of these things to happen, combined with GOOD special teams play, to make a run.

If our starting QB has a 83+ QB rating with 2800+ passing yards (we're a power running team) and we can run the ball, I think we can make it.
Originally posted by jays9ers:
The only way were going to make the play-offs is if we win the west. I don't see us being competitive enough for a wild card spot in the NFC, so winning the west is paramount. But I have serious doubts that we will be capable of winning the NFC west because with the exception of the Rams every team has improved.

Cardinals- Super Bowl runner ups. I really don't see them falling off dramatically because they lost the Superbowl. They still have that potent offense in place, and with the addition of Beanie Wells to their back field they will be tough to handle this season.

Seahawks- With an aging Hassleback at the helm they should rebound from their disappointing season. Yea Hassleback is getting old but he's still a solid QB. They upgraded their WR with the addition of Who's your mamma and the defense got some solid draft choices.

Rams- Well...... there in total rebuild mode. I see us sweeping them.

49ers- Ok to good draft in my opinion... Pass rush is still a big ?? The O-line needs to pass protect much better than they did last year. QB play will ultimately determine our fate.... I'm cautiously optimistic about this season. We may improve as a team but it may not reflect in our overall record..

our division is horrible. of course we have a realistic chance.

the seahawks and rams arent as good overall as we are, and the Cards super bowl season was a total fluke. they just got hot at the right time. they were only a 9-7 team who was limping into the playoffs until a couple hot final games. Gore scores that TD at the 2, and were in instead.
Originally posted by Niners99:
The only way were going to make the play-offs is if we win the west. I don't see us being competitive enough for a wild card spot in the NFC, so winning the west is paramount. But I have serious doubts that we will be capable of winning the NFC west because with the exception of the Rams every team has improved.

Cardinals- Super Bowl runner ups. I really don't see them falling off dramatically because they lost the Superbowl. They still have that potent offense in place, and with the addition of Beanie Wells to their back field they will be tough to handle this season.

Seahawks- With an aging Hassleback at the helm they should rebound from their disappointing season. Yea Hassleback is getting old but he's still a solid QB. They upgraded their WR with the addition of Who's your mamma and the defense got some solid draft choices.

49ers- Ok to good draft in my opinion... Pass rush is still a big ?? The O-line needs to pass protect much better than they did last year. QB play will ultimately determine our fate.... I'm cautiously optimistic about this season. We may improve as a team but it may not reflect in our overall record..

the seahawks and rams arent as good overall as we are, and the Cards super bowl season was a total fluke. they just got hot at the right time. they were only a 9-7 team who was limping into the playoffs until a couple hot final games. Gore scores that TD at the 2, and were in instead.

exactly. the seahawks are old and declining, the rams? forget the rams for a couple years. the cardinals are good, especially against us, they will be tough but i agree that had martz called the right play and robinson not been a complete failure, we could have easily won that game and been in the playoffs. they peaked at the right time. still very potent but beatable. i think we will be pretty damn good with sing in charge. our O-line is huge and healthy, gore is healthy and he has norris and a legit back up. our WR group looks awesome. i cant wait
Originally posted by Niners99:

You guys are really fooling yourselfs if you think the Cards arnt gonna be tough this season. They have 2 top 10 WR and their slot WR had 1000+ yards as well. Add a big bruising Beanie Wells into the mix and their offense only gets better.

The Seahawks have a better QB than us a solid veteran O-line and an upgraded WR corps. They will not be a cake walk this season. They beat us with Seneca Wallace at the helm last season!

The rams.... Well.... yea we should sweep.
It seems like everyone agrees on the general strength of the NFC. We have a shot, anyone but the Rams do. So, let's assume a pretty fair best case scenario: That we go 4-2 in the division. Sweep the Rams, split with Seattle and the Cards, or whatever. I don't think anything better than that is realistic and less is possible.

That leaves us with the following games:

Vikes, Falcons, Texans, Colts, Titans, Bears, Packers, Jags, Eagles and Lions.

Likely easy calls: Losses to the Vikes, Colts and Eagles and wins at the Texans and Lions.

That puts us at 6 and 5. With the Falcons, Titans, Bears, Pack and Jags left.

We have to go at least 3-2 in those games to get over .500. 4 and 1 to get to 10 and 6.

You'd have to think it will take at least 10-6 to win the divison, and it might take more.

Very hard to look at that schedule and think realisticly, even if certain games flip around, that there are at least, let alone more than, 10 wins on that schedule.

I'd say our chances are less than 50%. We will either need to go better than 4-2 in the division or beat a very high percentage of good teams outside of our division. We have very little room for error. One or two games that don't go our way and that's the difference.
Originally posted by TexasNiner:
It seems like everyone agrees on the general strength of the NFC. We have a shot, anyone but the Rams do. So, let's assume a pretty fair best case scenario: That we go 4-2 in the division. Sweep the Rams, split with Seattle and the Cards, or whatever. I don't think anything better than that is realistic and less is possible.

Likely easy calls: Losses to the Vikes, Colts and Eagles and wins at the Texans and Lions.

We have to go at least 3-2 in those games to get over .500. 4 and 1 to get to 10 and 6.

You'd have to think it will take at least 10-6 to win the divison, and it might take more.

Very hard to look at that schedule and think realisticly, even if certain games flip around, that there are at least, let alone more than, 10 wins on that schedule.

I'd say our chances are less than 50%. We will either need to go better than 4-2 in the division or beat a very high percentage of good teams outside of our division. We have very little room for error. One or two games that don't go our way and that's the difference.

I think we have a better shot against the Colts and a tough matchup against the Texans. I think that the Colts are slightly above .500 team this year, I'm surprised people still think they are going to be a powerhouse. The other games against Matt Ryan and Jay Cutler are going to require our pass rush to wake up. If our pass rush gets going, then I think we have a pretty good shot at taking down the teams with good QB's.
Originally posted by Psinex:

I think we have a better shot against the Colts and a tough matchup against the Texans. I think that the Colts are slightly above .500 team this year, I'm surprised people still think they are going to be a powerhouse. The other games against Matt Ryan and Jay Cutler are going to require our pass rush to wake up. If our pass rush gets going, then I think we have a pretty good shot at taking down the teams with good QB's.

very true but im not counting us out. many of the mistakes on offense came because we had no WR's and no continuity on the O-line. this year we have a very good receiving corps, a huge O-line that is mostly made of people who started last year, Gore is healthy, legit fullback etc. i think if our defense continues on its development from last year we will be a very tough team for anyone to play. this team has come a long way in recent years and i think this is the year we get back into the playoffs and knock some fools out.
Originally posted by sdaddy101269:

Here's the thing...most teams have a lot of potential. But the only way they can compete is if they stay healthy and avoid taking a lot of unnecessary hits, particularly at the QB position. We saw last year how injuries basically took Seattle and St. Louis out of the race. Seattle's receiver situation was funny yet sad, that they were down to the 5th and 6th receivers, then they used QB Seneca Wallace as a receiver, haha.

So depth is going to play a big part this season.

I think that's where we trump every other team this year. Even if we're down to our last receivers, we'd still be in pretty good shape. Arnaz Battle, Jason Hill and Dominique Zeigler would be no worse than our starters in 2003-2007. We are stacked!

Both Arizona and Seattle have aging quarterbacks that don't move well. If Kurt Warner is out for any extended period of time, Arizona is going to have to rely on Matt Leinart, which is probably less promising a situation than we have with Alex. That's not just the homer in me, Leinart has played horribly. If Hasselbeck goes down, Seattle is probably done. St. Louis has a lot of issues, but if their o-line plays well, their defense might keep them in games. Their secondary is atrocious, but with Curry in the middle and Chris Long in his second year, they shouldn't give up as many rushing yards.

I think we have a very realistic shot of winning the West. Our defense is going to be very good this year. With most of the same crew, the addition of Dre Bly and Tarrell Brown, and changing of the guard at free safety with Dashon Goldson, we will have more turnovers. As for a rushing attack, everyone's keeping their fingers crossed that a light goes off in Manny's head. It's obvious that Nolan's playcalling was holding us back. With an entire season of Singletary's simplified coaching, our talent can be allowed to run free instead of overly complicated schemes on both offense and defense.

We actually came a lot closer to winning the West than people realize. It came down to one play at the end of the Arizona game...if that had gone differently, we might have taken the division. That's not how things worked out, but we got better...I don't think Arizona has improved outside of getting Beanie Wells. And if there's anything our defense has shown, we don't give up a lot of rushing yards since our linebackers are very fast and can snuff the run quickly.

That sounds like a homerism to me. Leinart wasn't nearly as bad as you make it sound, he just happens to be on a team with an MVP QB. I'd take Leinart over Smith at this point anyday.

That was not homerism at all...there was much truth to that statement.

If you watched Matt Leinart at all...there was never a time when you looked and said, "Man, that kid could be really, REALLY good one day."

But in 2006...and the 1st 3 games of 2007...you watched Alex Smith and pretty much uttered those words more often than not.

The Cardinals were not a very good team last year. I don't know what happened in the playoffs, that was some magic that will not be repeated anytime soon. We were 2 yards away from knocking them out of the playoffs. Their defense still sucks and all it would take to ruin their offense is one hard hit on Kurt Warner. On top of that, Warner has shown he is inconsistant in the past. He can easily revert to the guy we saw towards the end of his STL days and his NYG days.

The Seahawks don't look very impressive. I know their WR corps was injury-plagued last year, but a healthy set of receiver and the addition of TJ Housh is not going to take them from 4-12 to NFC West champions.

All we have to do is handle Arizona and we'll win the West.
  • titan
  • Veteran
YES! WE ARE THE FREEKIN 49ers. All these scrubs are our punching bags, they were just getting a lucky breaks. It ends this year!
Originally posted by BrodieFan:
At this time last year, did anyone feel that the Cardinals had a realistic shot at going to the Superbowl?

Word...

Same could have said about the 1999 Superbowl Champion St. Louis Lambs. They went from perennial cellar-dweller and 4-12 record in 1998 to to Superbowl champs and an offensive juggernaut the VERY NEXT YEAR. It CAN happen...and it WILL HAPPEN THIS YEAR FOR US!!!!!!!!!!

THE SAN FRANCISCO 49ERS, 2010 SUPERBOWL CHAMPS!!!! WOOOHOOOOO!!!

Hey, us fans have to get in pre-season shape too.

I just went with the easiest assumptions. The Colts are a perennial playoff team with one of the best QBs in the NFL. We are not close to them on any level. To say we have a better than 50% chance of beating them, would mean that they have fallen off and we have risen, both at dramatic levels.

Sure, we could win a game or two that we don't expect to, but we could lose a game or two that we think is a win as well. So, just being objective, and assuming the close games get split fairly evenly, it's hard to project us doing better than 10-6, and that may or may not be enough to win the division.

And one or more extra loss in there really puts us at a very limited chance of winning the West.

Given that, even if we improve and look like a soild playoff caliber team, it's hard to say that the odds are in our favor.

So, when the question is do we have a "realistic" shot, which to me, means at least 50% or better, I'd have to say no. Do we have a SHOT? Sure, but the favorites have to be the Cards and at best, we are tied with Seattle for second place (odds wise) to win the West.

That makes us a bit of a risky bet, if not an outright longshot statistically. CAN we do it? Sure. But we need one or both of Seattle and Zona to takes some hits AND we need to beat some pretty good teams outside of our division pretty consistantly.

It will take a very quick and very consistant turn around to make that happen. And not that it can't, but it would take a lot of things going very right very soon.

Hard to say that having that much stuff come together so well and so fat is "realistic". At least from what we have seen to date.
I'm not sure why so many Niner fans buy into the east-coast dogma that the NFC west is terribly weak. The Seahawks and the Cards have both gone to the Superbowl recently. Remember. It's dogma. They said the same thing about the NFC West in the eighties when the Saints kept sending all their linebackers to the probowl and the Rams were in the hunt every year. The Niners had a better record playing out of their division than in it and east-coast dogma still said it was the weak division that helped the Niners win.
Originally posted by BrodieFan:
I'm not sure why so many Niner fans buy into the east-coast dogma that the NFC west is terribly weak. The Seahawks and the Cards have both gone to the Superbowl recently. Remember. It's dogma. They said the same thing about the NFC West in the eighties when the Saints kept sending all their linebackers to the probowl and the Rams were in the hunt every year. The Niners had a better record playing out of their division than in it and east-coast dogma still said it was the weak division that helped the Niners win.

Because 9-7 or 10-6 can win the division each year. Which means we, as a division don't play well outside of the division.

A couple teams in our division have had nice playoff runs, but we are certainly not full of the best teams in the NFC. To say otherwise, is pure fandom. And the AFCs top teams have had it all of the NFC for most of the past 10 years.

There is no "dogma", our conference and division have been among the weaker ones in the NFL recently. We may be on a bit of a rebound (hopefully), but it seems more likely that at best we have some solid to above average teams, one of which may make a run any given year.

I just went with the easiest assumptions. The Colts are a perennial playoff team with one of the best QBs in the NFL. We are not close to them on any level. To say we have a better than 50% chance of beating them, would mean that they have fallen off and we have risen, both at dramatic levels.

See this is the attitude of a losing team. That's what holds this team back. "We're not close to them on any level." The Niners have to start believing that they are as good, if not better than any team in order to beat them. I think Singletary has motivated the players in a way that they feel they can beat anyone, regardless of what the media tells them they are supposed to be.

They aren't put into place, they are setting their pace. If you are talking about recent history, yes, we don't have any playoff appearances or titles that compare. But if you look at them state of the teams, I would take the Niners up and coming defense over the old and overrated Colts D. The Colts have a great offense, but last year their line seemed to have problems. They are not invincible.

And word, on the NFC West. Weakest division in football, yada yada. You still have to compete with other divisional teams to win the West. And if I remember, we did a pretty good job beating other divisional teams last year. It was the West that we couldn't seem to beat apart from St. Louis.