There are 142 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Do we have a realistic shot at winning the NFC West?

The only way were going to make the play-offs is if we win the west. I don't see us being competitive enough for a wild card spot in the NFC, so winning the west is paramount. But I have serious doubts that we will be capable of winning the NFC west because with the exception of the Rams every team has improved.

Cardinals- Super Bowl runner ups. I really don't see them falling off dramatically because they lost the Superbowl. They still have that potent offense in place, and with the addition of Beanie Wells to their back field they will be tough to handle this season.

Seahawks- With an aging Hassleback at the helm they should rebound from their disappointing season. Yea Hassleback is getting old but he's still a solid QB. They upgraded their WR with the addition of Who's your mamma and the defense got some solid draft choices.

Rams- Well...... there in total rebuild mode. I see us sweeping them.

49ers- Ok to good draft in my opinion... Pass rush is still a big ?? The O-line needs to pass protect much better than they did last year. QB play will ultimately determine our fate.... I'm cautiously optimistic about this season. We may improve as a team but it may not reflect in our overall record..
At this time last year, did anyone feel that the Cardinals had a realistic shot at going to the Superbowl?
  • IntoTheNiners
  • Info N/A
Too early to tell... madden ratings haven't been released yet.
Yes, We have a realistic shot at winning the NFC West. We should have at least won the second game last year with Arizona. We match up well against them and this year we should split or win both games. The rest of the West we can win outright. Whether we will or not we will see as they play the games. I would see us winning at least 4 out of the 6 games with the west. I see us at 10-6.
Originally posted by BrodieFan:
At this time last year, did anyone feel that the Cardinals had a realistic shot at going to the Superbowl?

Great point! Things change quickly depending on injuries etc. I think we will do well if we can avoid serious injuries to our key players. Playoffs, HERE WE COME!!!
Yes, we have a realistic shot, but we also have a realistic shot at coming in 3rd, too.

But I don't think the Cards have really improved - they lost both Coordinators and have several malcontents in the lockerroom. They will still be a tough team, but I don't know if they will be better than last year.

I also think the Rams will be a bigger challenge to us than most expect. We barely beat them last year and I don't think they will any worse this year (and it remains to be seen how much better, if any, we'll be).

And I think the Seahawks could return to form if their OL stays healthy and Curry lives up to expectations.
yes
Over/under 30 posts before this turns into a Hill vs. Smith discussion?

I'll take the under.
Yes, because Nowin is gone. People forget he was here last year for the first part of the season. There was a reason they called him Nowin.
Sure.

The Cards lost their OC and fired their DC, so there will be some drop-off in my estimation, probably not a lot, but enough to turn a couple of close games into losses.

The Seahawks O-Line is aging and unsettled which could cause problems for the rest of their offense and re-vamped WR corp in 2009.

The Rams are turning over completely and switching from the digit system which they ran for years to the WCO under OC Pat Shurmur . . . so there should be a learning curve to deal with . . . not to mention they have o-line problems of their own.

I don't think they do this year. Last year was a fluke for them, as we could have easily won both games and made it a completely different season for both teams.
Originally posted by jays9ers:
The only way were going to make the play-offs is if we win the west. I don't see us being competitive enough for a wild card spot in the NFC, so winning the west is paramount. But I have serious doubts that we will be capable of winning the NFC west because with the exception of the Rams every team has improved.

Cardinals- Super Bowl runner ups. I really don't see them falling off dramatically because they lost the Superbowl. They still have that potent offense in place, and with the addition of Beanie Wells to their back field they will be tough to handle this season.

Seahawks- With an aging Hassleback at the helm they should rebound from their disappointing season. Yea Hassleback is getting old but he's still a solid QB. They upgraded their WR with the addition of Who's your mamma and the defense got some solid draft choices.

49ers- Ok to good draft in my opinion... Pass rush is still a big ?? The O-line needs to pass protect much better than they did last year. QB play will ultimately determine our fate.... I'm cautiously optimistic about this season. We may improve as a team but it may not reflect in our overall record..

Here's the thing...most teams have a lot of potential. But the only way they can compete is if they stay healthy and avoid taking a lot of unnecessary hits, particularly at the QB position. We saw last year how injuries basically took Seattle and St. Louis out of the race. Seattle's receiver situation was funny yet sad, that they were down to the 5th and 6th receivers, then they used QB Seneca Wallace as a receiver, haha.

So depth is going to play a big part this season.

I think that's where we trump every other team this year. Even if we're down to our last receivers, we'd still be in pretty good shape. Arnaz Battle, Jason Hill and Dominique Zeigler would be no worse than our starters in 2003-2007. We are stacked!

Both Arizona and Seattle have aging quarterbacks that don't move well. If Kurt Warner is out for any extended period of time, Arizona is going to have to rely on Matt Leinart, which is probably less promising a situation than we have with Alex. That's not just the homer in me, Leinart has played horribly. If Hasselbeck goes down, Seattle is probably done. St. Louis has a lot of issues, but if their o-line plays well, their defense might keep them in games. Their secondary is atrocious, but with Curry in the middle and Chris Long in his second year, they shouldn't give up as many rushing yards.

I think we have a very realistic shot of winning the West. Our defense is going to be very good this year. With most of the same crew, the addition of Dre Bly and Tarrell Brown, and changing of the guard at free safety with Dashon Goldson, we will have more turnovers. As for a rushing attack, everyone's keeping their fingers crossed that a light goes off in Manny's head. It's obvious that Nolan's playcalling was holding us back. With an entire season of Singletary's simplified coaching, our talent can be allowed to run free instead of overly complicated schemes on both offense and defense.

We actually came a lot closer to winning the West than people realize. It came down to one play at the end of the Arizona game...if that had gone differently, we might have taken the division. That's not how things worked out, but we got better...I don't think Arizona has improved outside of getting Beanie Wells. And if there's anything our defense has shown, we don't give up a lot of rushing yards since our linebackers are very fast and can snuff the run quickly.
Originally posted by Psinex:
Originally posted by jays9ers:

Here's the thing...most teams have a lot of potential. But the only way they can compete is if they stay healthy and avoid taking a lot of unnecessary hits, particularly at the QB position. We saw last year how injuries basically took Seattle and St. Louis out of the race. Seattle's receiver situation was funny yet sad, that they were down to the 5th and 6th receivers, then they used QB Seneca Wallace as a receiver, haha.

So depth is going to play a big part this season.

I think that's where we trump every other team this year. Even if we're down to our last receivers, we'd still be in pretty good shape. Arnaz Battle, Jason Hill and Dominique Zeigler would be no worse than our starters in 2003-2007. We are stacked!

Both Arizona and Seattle have aging quarterbacks that don't move well. If Kurt Warner is out for any extended period of time, Arizona is going to have to rely on Matt Leinart, which is probably less promising a situation than we have with Alex. That's not just the homer in me, Leinart has played horribly. If Hasselbeck goes down, Seattle is probably done. St. Louis has a lot of issues, but if their o-line plays well, their defense might keep them in games. Their secondary is atrocious, but with Curry in the middle and Chris Long in his second year, they shouldn't give up as many rushing yards.

I think we have a very realistic shot of winning the West. Our defense is going to be very good this year. With most of the same crew, the addition of Dre Bly and Tarrell Brown, and changing of the guard at free safety with Dashon Goldson, we will have more turnovers. As for a rushing attack, everyone's keeping their fingers crossed that a light goes off in Manny's head. It's obvious that Nolan's playcalling was holding us back. With an entire season of Singletary's simplified coaching, our talent can be allowed to run free instead of overly complicated schemes on both offense and defense.

We actually came a lot closer to winning the West than people realize. It came down to one play at the end of the Arizona game...if that had gone differently, we might have taken the division. That's not how things worked out, but we got better...I don't think Arizona has improved outside of getting Beanie Wells. And if there's anything our defense has shown, we don't give up a lot of rushing yards since our linebackers are very fast and can snuff the run quickly.

That sounds like a homerism to me. Leinart wasn't nearly as bad as you make it sound, he just happens to be on a team with an MVP QB. I'd take Leinart over Smith at this point anyday.
Yest....!
Originally posted by Lott49ersFan:

I don't think they do this year. Last year was a fluke for them, as we could have easily won both games and made it a completely different season for both teams.

Exactly. That's the way the season goes almost every single year. That's why it's kind of silly to be sure anything's going to happen, good or bad.