There are 55 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Dre Bly has more comments...

• nekst
  • Info N/A
Quote:

"I was made the scapegoat," Bly said. "Especially on the other side of Champ, you're gonna take (criticism). But I don't care who you are, if you don't have a pass rush and you're not aggressive on defense, they're gonna catch a ball.

"We weren't aggressive last year in Denver. We let people take the fight to us. We were so predictable on defense. I don't make no excuses; none of us played well in the system.... People are going to question my ability, saying I'm not this, I'm not that, that's fine. I use all that for motivation."

I remember watching some Denver Broncos games last year and they were at least trying to be aggressive by blitzing with their linebackers. Regardless, his comments on using criticism as motivation work for me.

Quote:

Still, time marches. Bly, who accepted a one-year deal for a reported $845,000, says he'll play two more seasons, three tops. He'd like to win the NFC West. He'd like to reach 50 career interceptions. He'd like a good finish, next time on his own terms.

"I've told myself 12 years is probably gonna be my mark," Bly said. "I've made my money, I ain't gonna be hanging on. The minute I get demoted, I'm retiring. I'm not gonna be a gunner, running down on special teams. Why do I need to do that?

"I'll be a No. 3 corner, I'll do that. I've accepted the fact that I might have to do that this year. But a No. 4, trying to make the squad? I'll retire. I don't need it."

I'm not sure how I feel about him not wanting to be a No. 4 and trying to make the squad. I understand he is a veteran but I'd like to see him be happy with any role the team gives him (not that it'll come down to that).

At the end of the day, it seems like he wants to play another season after this one so if he plays exceptionally well (as he appears to want to), another team may be paying him a lot more after this season to join their squad instead. I still see a good year for Dre Bly w/ the Niners though.
Link
nice find

i can see what he means he is a pretty good CB and im willing to bet although he is not a lockdown corner he will get plenty of int i say around 4
He's NOT going to be a number 4 guy on this team...
I think for a guy like him, that's a very realistic attitude and I appreciate that he's honest about it. He'll be pushing Terrell Brown all season and that's good.
I admire him telling it like it is.
Hes right about the broncos d though. i hope he plays well this year for us.
I wouldnt take it as a negative comment. He is basically saying that he knows when to say enough is enough, and he is not going to cling on like other players have (Rice, Emmitt, etc.)

I respect that.
Originally posted by TheRatMan13:
I wouldnt take it as a negative comment. He is basically saying that he knows when to say enough is enough, and he is not going to cling on like other players have (Rice, Emmitt, etc.)

I respect that.

I don't really remember Rice(Seahawks eh I guess) or Emmitt not starting when healthy.
I guess he feels we have a pass-rush here?
Originally posted by Peanut49:

I respect that.

I don't really remember Rice(Seahawks eh I guess) or Emmitt not starting when healthy.

I'm saying that they played past their prime and probably should have known when to quit. Rice was the 3rd string in Seattle and was going to be fighting for a roster spot in Denver and he retired.

Emmit went to the Cardinals and only got a starting spot because Marcel Shipp got hurt. His first year there he only started 5 games and had like 250 yards on the season.
Originally posted by Peanut49:

I respect that.

I'm saying that they played past their prime and probably should have known when to quit. Rice was the 3rd string in Seattle and was going to be fighting for a roster spot in Denver and he retired.

Emmit went to the Cardinals and only got a starting spot because Marcel Shipp got hurt. His first year there he only started 5 games and had like 250 yards on the season.

True, but who's to say Bly isn't past his prime now starting on our team? I do respect his comments to a degree, but fact is he wouldn't start on almost any team if they had 3 corners in their prime. (not talking pro bowlers or a 3 who could be a 1 on another team just he's old and I would like to see some development)
It's always easy to point back and blame everybody else. The facts are he played like garbage last year just like the rest of the broncos defense.
Good, he's hungry.
Originally posted by Joecool:
Good, he's hungry.