There are 113 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Vernon Davis - Ten NFL Players Who Need to Relocate

Originally posted by susweel:
I hope he does relocate so we can get a TE who can JUST CATCH THE DAMN BALL.

We have one already...his name is Delaine Walker
Right... There were teams that were in the playoff picture until the last couple of weeks on this list. Only if every talented player could play for NE or Dallas.

These types of articles make me want to shake babies.
  • krizay
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Byisgod:
Originally posted by krizay:
Originally posted by mufasa76:
our pass protection was so bad Vernon was sent in by our coaches to do exactly what he has been doing... We all saw what happened when he taking out of the game vs miami....I know he has dropped some passes and who hasn't? But I for one is willing to give him a chance to be a beast at TE - and he will be as soon as he is turned loose which i hope will happen this coming season....He will rewrite the TE position, mark it!

Woah! Krizay showing some support for VD...the world must be about to end!

The dude's a beast. He's made 3 or 4 plays out of the 103 receptions he's had thus far. Now how many TE's can you say have done that? He runs a 4.38 and is stronger than Popeye after a 6 pack of Spinach.

Vernon's problems is not Vernon's fault. Using his 4.38 speed is not his strength. He needs short passes thrown to him while he is stopped to be effective. All of our retarded OC's have tried to use his 4.38 speed and thus have used him incorrectly. As for his strength. If he's catching the ball at a standstill how much strength can he provide? So naturally he's trying to outrun/juke defenders trying to get his giddy up on. Thus not being able to lower a shoulder. But again it's not his fault. It's the freakin retarded OC's we have had in the past.

But this year we have Raye as offensive Coordinator. AWWW! Sooky sooky now! Raye will find a way to get Vernon Davis the ball (while he's stopped so he can actually catch it) and use his 4.38 speed (again 0.00 at the catch). Then he can use that Popeye raiding a spinach patch like strength to get tackled by one guy and have the zone say it takes 3-5 guys to bring him down.

Let me not get started on the offensive line that's holding him back. Can you imagine if we sent Davis out for passes and he was like the 9th targeted TE in the league how many sacks we'd give up? I'm guessing, Now this is just a guess, that we'd give up 55 sacks on 513 passing attempts and Hostler would be our OC in the year of 2007. I'm just guessing though. Now imagine if the best blocking TE in the league actaully stayed in to help this pathetic oline how much better we'd be. I'm guessing, we'd give up 55 sacks on 509 attempts with Mike Martz as our OC in the year of 2008. Again just a guess.

I decided to guess instead of using facts because I was told how facts and Dogma doesn't mix.

Breakout year in 20??
V-davis will break out this year...
"3 or 4 plays out of 103 receptions"??

Can we all agree that when you get a TD catch you are "making a play?" Most sane fans would agree with that. Not to split hairs, but by that count, Davis has made at least 7 plays. At least. I know Davis-bashing is sport around here, but let's at least give credit where credit is due.
I want Vernon to succeed but the reason he hasn't isn't solely because of the way he's been utilized. True, he's been used as more of a blocker. Nonetheless the guy really needs to work on:

1. His hands- all too frequently have I seen this guy drop passes. He's capable of making great catches (see Monday Night vs. AZ, 2008) but I've seen him drop way too many that hit him in the hands.

2. His running- Vernon seems to try and juke people out and slow up when an defender approaches him. Davis is incredibly strong and fast. He needs to learn to catch the ball, run full speed and knock over defenders instead of slowing up trying to put on moves.

3. His route running- I've read many times that Vernon has a hard time with routes and either runs the wrong ones or doesn't run them effectively. He needs to study up on the playbook and put himself in the right positions.

Davis was the most excited I've ever been about a draft pick (until we got Crab this year). I wanted SF to draft him from day one. I have been very disappointed with his performance. I realize it's partially due to how he's being utilized but the man has squandered some opportunities as well. Raye has experience with Gonzalez and features the TE prominently in the offense. Let's hope he can bring VD to realize his true potential.
our pass protection was so bad Vernon was sent in by our coaches to do exactly what he has been doing... We all saw what happened when he taking out of the game vs miami....I know he has dropped some passes and who hasn't? But I for one is willing to give him a chance to be a beast at TE - and he will be as soon as he is turned loose which i hope will happen this coming season....He will rewrite the TE position, mark it!

The dude's a beast. He's made 3 or 4 plays out of the 103 receptions he's had thus far. Now how many TE's can you say have done that? He runs a 4.38 and is stronger than Popeye after a 6 pack of Spinach.

Vernon's problems is not Vernon's fault. Using his 4.38 speed is not his strength. He needs short passes thrown to him while he is stopped to be effective. All of our retarded OC's have tried to use his 4.38 speed and thus have used him incorrectly. As for his strength. If he's catching the ball at a standstill how much strength can he provide? So naturally he's trying to outrun/juke defenders trying to get his giddy up on. Thus not being able to lower a shoulder. But again it's not his fault. It's the freakin retarded OC's we have had in the past.

But this year we have Raye as offensive Coordinator. AWWW! Sooky sooky now! Raye will find a way to get Vernon Davis the ball (while he's stopped so he can actually catch it) and use his 4.38 speed (again 0.00 at the catch). Then he can use that Popeye raiding a spinach patch like strength to get tackled by one guy and have the zone say it takes 3-5 guys to bring him down.

Let me not get started on the offensive line that's holding him back. Can you imagine if we sent Davis out for passes and he was like the 9th targeted TE in the league how many sacks we'd give up? I'm guessing, Now this is just a guess, that we'd give up 55 sacks on 513 passing attempts and Hostler would be our OC in the year of 2007. I'm just guessing though. Now imagine if the best blocking TE in the league actaully stayed in to help this pathetic oline how much better we'd be. I'm guessing, we'd give up 55 sacks on 509 attempts with Mike Martz as our OC in the year of 2008. Again just a guess.

I decided to guess instead of using facts because I was told how facts and Dogma doesn't mix.

Breakout year in 20??

Most of those sacks came with JTO as the quarterback, and let's not forget that 55 sacks a year is pretty much an average Mke Martz year. Sh*t Mike Martz offenses gave 45 sacks a year with Orlando Pace anchoring the offense.

Normally your criticism on Vernon is accurate but trying to down play his blocking that made a Pro Bowl alternate is kind of pathetic. But what do they know after all they just play the game.

By the way I remember debates we had 3-4 years ago and you really wanted us to bring in Daniel Graham because he was all around great TE and that wins championships. Vernon has a chance to be that kind of player if he can be more consisant in the passing game. Sure he's never going to live up to the 6th pick. Well besides for Ngata no one else in the top 12 of that draft is living up to expectations for the team that drafted them. Chalk it up to a bad draft class.
[ Edited by tjd808185 on Jul 6, 2009 at 1:33 PM ]
  • krizay
  • Veteran
Originally posted by tjd808185:

Breakout year in 20??

Most of those sacks came with JTO as the quarterback, and let's not forget that 55 sacks a year is pretty much an average Mke Martz year. Sh*t Mike Martz offenses gave 45 sacks a year with Orlando Pace anchoring the offense.

Normally your criticism on Vernon is accurate but trying to down play his blocking that made a Pro Bowl alternate is kind of pathetic. But what do they know after all they just play the game.

Say what you will. We gave up the same amount of sacks on 4 fewer attempts. 34 sacks the 1st 8 games and 21 the last 8. So you are correct there.
  • krizay
  • Veteran

Breakout year in 20??

By the way I remember debates we had 3-4 years ago and you really wanted us to bring in Daniel Graham because he was all around great TE and that wins championships. Vernon has a chance to be that kind of player if he can be more consisant in the passing game. Sure he's never going to live up to the 6th pick. Well besides for Ngata no one else in the top 12 of that draft is living up to expectations for the team that drafted them. Chalk it up to a bad draft class.

Daniel Graham? Are you serious. I think you got me mixed up with someone else.
  • krizay
  • Veteran

Breakout year in 20??

For the record. I wanted to go after Boo Williams (just realeased by the Saints at the time of course and coming off injury) and keep EJ.

Statiscally speaking neither would have served much better but.........

Breakout year in 20??

My fault. I've must have mixed you up with someone else.

Anyways I still think it's a valid comparision. Daniel Graham was a huge part of those early championship New England teams because of his blocking. His blocking allowed them to run those wham plays and run out of singleback/ 2 TE formations.

We should give up on the dream of Vernon revolutionizing the position but that doesn't mean he's not capable of being a great role player for us.
Bleacher Report can get a 8======>.
Originally posted by 49erForLife420:
V-davis will break out this year...

Yes VD will break out this year. The sexually transmitted disease, not the tight end.
  • krizay
  • Veteran

Breakout year in 20??

My fault. I've must have mixed you up with someone else.

Anyways I still think it's a valid comparision. Daniel Graham was a huge part of those early championship New England teams because of his blocking. His blocking allowed them to run those wham plays and run out of singleback/ 2 TE formations.

We should give up on the dream of Vernon revolutionizing the position but that doesn't mean he's not capable of being a great role player for us.

If posters called him a "role player" and stopped the nonsense. I've would have let this go along time ago. I agree he's not a bust. He does contribute in a minute kind of way. And by that I mean who really is going to say Graham was a huge part of New England's early success? If the bleacher report or anybody really would have said Daniel Graham was a top 10 TE back in NE early SB years. What would have been the Zones reaction? EXACTLY!
one of the most overrated players in the NFL
Search Podcast Draft Forum Commentary News Shop Home