LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 261 users in the forums

Crabtree the Cure for Alex?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by BrodieFan:
Why does it make a Niner fan angry if another Niner fan supports a given Niner player? Just wondering.

I think both QB's will be working with a much better and deeper receiving corps this year than they've had for quite a while. And, Crabtree seems to be the kind of player that makes any QB look better with his YAC. I hope they work him into the lineup with design plays.

Because some of our fans are immature little jackasses with behavioral problems.It's okay for them to voice their opinions but God forbid someone disagree with them even if it is they who are the minority.

Back to the topic,there is no doubt that the QB's this year have the best crop of WR's since we had Jerry and Team Oblitherator.
Originally posted by Afrikan:
Originally posted by GORE-ILLA:
why is hill not the long term answer???

because he is not Alex....and he doesn't remind these followers of QBs like Payton, Brady, etc.

they want to be like other teams....have a "franchise" QB....but the NFL does not always work like that.....time will just be passing by as teams wait for a "savior" a young one at that....there have been PLENTY of teams who have drafted a young qb, wanting him to be a savior, over paying for him, sacrificing season for him, and just hoping he will pan out.....where as you have other teams that are just trying to win and get better.....they usually make the playoffs and are always in the thick of things.

I believe Shaun Hill can be our Rich Gannon....at one point, Gannon, with the Raidas was one of the best QBs in the league...everything was clicking for him....he didn't have a strong arm....but he knew where to throw the ball and, more importantly, was a Great team leader.....I remember him dissecting Pittsburgs feared 3-4 defense....when they were perceived to be unstoppable.

I also remember him setting the record for interceptions thrown in a Superbowl...so what's your point?
Are future Michael Jerome Irvin, the new 2.0 version comes with less loading time, and virus free. of coarse there's more data at this weight. Alex has 2 years left, this year i want to see him play if not next season. with crabtree getting about 600 yards this season and 1500 by his second. yet, it took michael 4 years to have his best season, less for crabtree and without a career injury.
Originally posted by TheGoldDiggerrrr:
Are future Michael Jerome Irvin, the new 2.0 version comes with less loading time, and virus free. of coarse there's more data at this weight. Alex has 2 years left, this year i want to see him play if not next season. with crabtree getting about 600 yards this season and 1500 by his second. yet, it took michael 4 years to have his best season, less for crabtree and without a career injury.

and hopefully the 2.0 version eliminated M.J.I 1.0's cocaine glitch
[ Edited by hondakillerzx on Jul 3, 2009 at 1:22 PM ]
Originally posted by GORE-ILLA:
it seems to me that we go through this season after f*cking season...can't we just stick with the guy that's gets it done??? damn...don't u guys remember when shaun hill ran for the first down with no f*cking helmet right through at least two defenders...come now i've seen smith do some cool stuff...but nothing like that

Hip hip hooF'Nray

I want the best guy out on that field. I want them to EARN the spot through perseverance and cpmpetition.

The sentimental garbage is for sissies. Shaun Hill ran with no helmet. Yay.

I swear it seems that more people want what they've seen recently and if you weren't on the field for nearly 2 years you suck and are a bust.

Alex sure has alot of ass kissin to do otherwise noe of you homers will even give him a chance. How freakin sad is that? You all know the reasons he has not worked out up to now. So how but cuttin the kid some slack.

let me reiterate. I do NOT care who starts. So long as they are the BEST guy for the team at the time when they need him to step up. Everything else is just alot of fluff and hooie. It has no substance in this conversation.

~Ceadder
Yay, another Alex / Shaun thread.

There are 2 camps -- 1) the Alexcuses / Alex Leaf camp; and the 2) What about 2006 / Urban Meyer comment camp

The reality is that his poor performance was mental. He's gone through of a crucible of sorts (his friend's suicide, the 2 shoulder surgery, the Nolan under the bus episode). Those alone would have destroyed lesser men.

Alex has shown a committment to team by restructuring. He has a new attitude with teammates and with reporters. He seems to have a certain (dare I say it) swagger. He doesn't give a s*** anymore. Why should he, he's been to hell and back.

I'm rooting for the kid. If he succeeds, it's a good thing.

Let's let a tincture of time solve this argument once and for all, eh?

BTW, Crabtree will make any QB look better, once he gets comfy with the NFL game. I'm glad Bruce is giving the kid the cold shoulder. Let him EARN IT.
Originally posted by wysiwyg:

There are 2 camps -- 1) the Alexcuses / Alex Leaf camp; and the 2) What about 2006 / Urban Meyer comment camp

The reality is that his poor performance was mental. He's gone through of a crucible of sorts (his friend's suicide, the 2 shoulder surgery, the Nolan under the bus episode). Those alone would have destroyed lesser men.

Alex has shown a committment to team by restructuring. He has a new attitude with teammates and with reporters. He seems to have a certain (dare I say it) swagger. He doesn't give a s*** anymore. Why should he, he's been to hell and back.

BTW, Crabtree will make any QB look better, once he gets comfy with the NFL game. I'm glad Bruce is giving the kid the cold shoulder. Let him EARN IT.

someone better defrost his ass, hes supposed to mentor or young guys
Originally posted by TheGoldDiggerrrr:

Yes. It's also T.O. free with the same big play ability. We still haven't, worked out the Jeff Garcia problem. Got to love fashion.
Dry Bly learned it shut up and play! Are club should have a guy that owns a copy of the playbook of just Crabtree's routes and tell him what he's running when Alex says this, I excpet Them To Look Great Togather, if he can keep it short and let Davis and Crabtree take it 50 yards i'll expect that..
[ Edited by TheGoldDiggerrrr on Jul 3, 2009 at 2:22 PM ]
Originally posted by wysiwyg:

Alex has shown a commitment to team by restructuring. He has a new attitude with teammates and with reporters. He seems to have a certain (dare I say it) swagger. He doesn't give a s*** anymore. Why should he, he's been to hell and back.

I want Alex to do well. He's the number one over all pick and if he shows it then we look good, and in this system he should. Even Hill should look good because he may not be Joe but he's a niner, and im sure plenty of you still loved Joe when he was traded If i expect great things they shall come to pass when we do great things, come on sing sing give me a playoff.
Glad Steve Young is on monday's i shall be watching you...
[ Edited by TheGoldDiggerrrr on Jul 3, 2009 at 2:27 PM ]
Alex is going to have a VD this year called Crabs?

Michael Irvin without the cocaine. That's good. But, it is a good comparison - long arms, great hands, fearless across the middle, great YAC. If he ends up being like Irvin, we're all going to be happy. Personally, I think this offense looks a lot like the early to mid-90's Cowboys. Very strange to be reminded of them and not mind it. I wouldn't mind watching the Niners grind other teams into the turf while finishing off wins.
Backontop,

You mean Alice Smith will have a VD call Crabs??

[ Edited by ginseng1000 on Jul 3, 2009 at 2:34 PM ]
Originally posted by ginseng1000:
Backontop,

You mean Alice Smith will have a VD call Crabs??

yea maybe if I was talking about someone named alice smith that would be what I meant
Originally posted by BrodieFan:
Michael Irvin without the cocaine. That's good. But, it is a good comparison - long arms, great hands, fearless across the middle, great YAC. If he ends up being like Irvin, we're all going to be happy. Personally, I think this offense looks a lot like the early to mid-90's Cowboys. Very strange to be reminded of them and not mind it. I wouldn't mind watching the Niners grind other teams into the turf while finishing off wins.

We need to find our Charles Haley who will piss on teammates cars and sack other team's QBs. Hopefully, Chilo Rachal can be a Larry Allen Jr.

Alex Smith has the physical tools of someone like Peyton Manning or Tony Romo. But both Manning and Romo have (or had) really good offensive lines. You watch a Dallas game and Romo has all day to throw the ball. The moment pass protection breaks down, Romo looks a lot like Alex did the first year he came into the league. Jimmy Raye needs to teach this kid how to throw the ball away properly instead of holding onto it forever. We already know this.

Shaun Hill is efficient, but some have pointed out that once defenses figure out what he can and can't do, they will have a plan to stop him. They will stack the box up front, slowing down our run, daring Hill to throw deep. Knowing Singletary, he will probably go with Hill's ball safe conservative approach. But who will make better use of our receivers? We're about to find out in a month, and I can't wait.
Originally posted by carl:
Nope.

The only thing holding back Alex is himself. And thanks to a contract restructure, he's got a couple more years to figure out whatever it is that's holding him back.

That's not ture. Alex Smith isnt the only thing holding himself back. I've seen Alex Smith put the ball on the money and it's been dropped. He was given one of the worst teams in football with the worst scenario and told to win... not going to happen. This is a team game and a QB has to rely on the people around him as much they team relys on the QB. It's all give and take. I expect him to have a big season and alot of people eating crow.
Share 49ersWebzone