LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 246 users in the forums

1989 and 2009: The quick slant.

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Bumping this thread up. How about a return to this pattern, especially when a few yards are needed? We also have guys like Manningham and Crabtree that can do something with the ball afterwards and receivers willing to block downfield.
In reading some thoughts about the Cowboys/Giants game this weekend, the achilles heel defensively that game for the G-men were the slants.

It should be brought back of course. Question is, isn't it often a tight window throw?
Agree. I do think we need to throw more of them. It also seems like when we do throw them either the pass gets batted at the line or the receiver drops it half the time. Miss seeing those slants we only needed a few yards for a first down, defenses knew it was coming and still couldn't stop it!
The quick slant as a staple of the WCO offense declined considerably as the 3-4 defense and zone-blitz schemes adjusted to take it away. The left OLB, to a right handed QB's right side, and left DE are well schooled now to react to the 3 step throw in the slant's throwing window. The LB stepping back into the WR pattern is particularly effective because it threatens a huge hit on the WR and deflected passes that can lead it INTs. In Rice's later years you saw this as a key defense against his inside slant routes - where his YAC was taken away and he was often subject to bigger hits on this route.

To adjust, it seems to me that when slants are called, more slants are now thrown with the WR split further out to get the throw further out of the clogged inside throwing lane and route lane.
[ Edited by HearstFan on Oct 27, 2012 at 12:32 PM ]
Originally posted by NinerPrideinNJ:
Originally posted by jdt84_2:
Originally posted by ajsjohnson:
Originally posted by RichmondPete:
every team has the quick slant in there playbook and use it regularly. the reason the quick slant was so devistating back then was because Jerry Rice and John Taylor were on the field with Joe Montana throwing the ball.

honestly, i am not sure joe even mattered in that. john and jerry were vicious downfield blockers, and were blocking for each other 20-30-40-50 yards down field.

You have to deliver the ball at the exact right time in the numbers. Joe mattered, believe me--have you seen what happens to a play like that when the timing/placement is off?

he mattered, but if you take shaun hill, kurt warner, jeff garcia, most average QBs now, i think those slants would be as effective, joe just made it much easier, and not as riky for the WR.

Yeah, I realize all teams have the quick slant in the playbook. My questioning was if it will be utilized more heavily and how effective it can be for our offense. As far as whether the WR's or QB make it work well, both of them do. The QB has to "put the ball right on the numbers" and the receivers need to gain that quick separation and block well down field.

Bill Walsh was the one who made the slant a staple of the west coast offense. Joe Montana & Company were able to execute it to perfection
Originally posted by JTsBiggestFan:
In reading some thoughts about the Cowboys/Giants game this weekend, the achilles heel defensively that game for the G-men were the slants.

It should be brought back of course. Question is, isn't it often a tight window throw?

Alex Smith, tight window.......

Originally posted by MiamiNiner:
Originally posted by NinerPrideinNJ:
Originally posted by ajsjohnson:
Originally posted by RichmondPete:
every team has the quick slant in there playbook and use it regularly. the reason the quick slant was so devistating back then was because Jerry Rice and John Taylor were on the field with Joe Montana throwing the ball.

honestly, i am not sure joe even mattered in that. john and jerry were vicious downfield blockers, and were blocking for each other 20-30-40-50 yards down field.

You have to deliver the ball at the exact right time in the numbers. Joe mattered, believe me--have you seen what happens to a play like that when the timing/placement is off?

he mattered, but if you take shaun hill, kurt warner, jeff garcia, most average QBs now, i think those slants would be as effective, joe just made it much easier, and not as riky for the WR.

Yeah, I realize all teams have the quick slant in the playbook. My questioning was if it will be utilized more heavily and how effective it can be for our offense. As far as whether the WR's or QB make it work well, both of them do. The QB has to "put the ball right on the numbers" and the receivers need to gain that quick separation and block well down field.

Bill Walsh was the one who made the slant a staple of the west coast offense. Joe Montana & Company were able to execute it to perfection

I agree but you better be careful in calling it the West Coast Offense. It's thought to be idiotic to do so.
AS is under the coaches spell

I agree. I think it's a good plan for us simply b/c we'd be playing more in our QB's comfort zone which should open up the offense for us.
This thread... There were quite a few slants called since the beginning of the year. But don't let that stop the hate Pretty sure our passing game is more capable than just running slants all day. It worked in Madden so it must work in real NFL games

Originally posted by qnnhan7:
This thread... There were quite a few slants called since the beginning of the year. But don't let that stop the hate Pretty sure our passing game is more capable than just running slants all day. It worked in Madden so it must work in real NFL games

The only problem is the WRs either drop it or is unable to shield the defender from getting to the ball. If we hit on some slants more often, it will open up the offense (flats, slugo, deep outs from the slot or te positions, etc.).
Originally posted by paperplanemedia:

The only problem is the WRs either drop it or is unable to shield the defender from getting to the ball. If we hit on some slants more often, it will open up the offense (flats, slugo, deep outs from the slot or te positions, etc.).

At least a couple to Crabtree that I remember in the Lions game. Manningham got a few slants called his way also. Moss got a couple that I remembered in the Minny game. I'm sure there were a few others that I've missed. I think Delanie dropped one.... Didn't Crabtree ran a slant late in the Minny game and Smith threw it like he should run an out for a miss cue... Just can't take this thread seriously ...
It was a thing of beauty.

Young also threw it very well.

I feel Manningham would be perfect for it.

At least a couple to Crabtree that I remember in the Lions game. Manningham got a few slants called his way also. Moss got a couple that I remembered in the Minny game. I'm sure there were a few others that I've missed. I think Delanie dropped one.... Didn't Crabtree ran a slant late in the Minny game and Smith threw it like he should run an out for a miss cue... Just can't take this thread seriously ...

A few here and there isn't going to sway the defense. Like I said "If we hit on some slants MORE often".
A few here and there isn't going to sway the defense. Like I said "If we hit on some slants MORE often".

Thing is, if you do enough of it this will happened to our receivers... or worse an INT

Share 49ersWebzone