LISTEN: Reacting to the 49ers Drafting Ricky Pearsall →

There are 255 users in the forums

One more Alex Smith stat

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by fan49:
Originally posted by TexasNiner:
Originally posted by BrodieFan:
Many thanks to Oldman9er for an inclusion of facts, not that many people around here will let them get in the way of a good argument.

Well, like any facts, they can be used on both side. For every player he listed, you can find many, many more, who had bad second year stats and contintue to show that they were not NFL QBs.

The rare exceptions that struggled early and righted the ship, have no more bearing on Alex's ability to do that than the ones who fail have to his ability to fail.

But the bottom line, is that he has been the worst starting QB during his tenure in the NFL. Although we have been far from great, it's hard to say we were the WORST team in the NFL at the time, so QBs in worse situations put up better numbers.

Certainly that could change, but what has happened is what has happened. There are no two ways around it. Whatever reasons, excuses, etc.. there are, we weren't the only team in the NFL to have issues and Alex wasn't the only QB with health or line problems.

Without including or excluding any information for any reason that favors one side or the other, the net result are some pretty damning numbers.

We can only hope he's in the small percentage of QBs who turn it around after that. It certainly isn't the norm.

first of all alex hasn't had a tenure yet. second, link if it's a fact or your just a plain hater!

If you saw the OP, you know that stats. I don't need a link. If you want to verify his QB rating since 2006 for yourself, have fun. Statistically, he has the worst rating of any starter who played in at least 20 games.

And to the person that asked "Why would you count the 07 games?". Because they count. They are real stats in real games. And all the other QBs whose stats you are comparing him against had their own issues. Be they physical, team issues, coaching problems, whatever. No games or stats are thrown out for anyone. If he really couldn't play, then he shouldn't have been on the field. If he wasn't smart enough to not play when he couldn't, that is as bad a mistake as if he misread coverage and threw a pick. One way or another, he played in those games and the stats count.

If you only count the good stats, what good is that? Why don't we just decide who the best QB is by only counting the stats i their 5 best games ever? We'll just say all the others don't count because their teammates let them down, or they were banged up, or whatever.

If you put yourself on the field and take the snaps, you have to be responsible for the results.

Does it mean he can't be better? No. But it does mean that physically, mentally and otherwise, the sum of what he has done so far has been sub par. That is all we have to go on at this point.

Everything else, speculation as to whether he will improve or not or if his best days are behind him is just a guess at this point. The only hard data we have are the games he played in.
Yeah, another Alex Smith Thread

Can't we all just agree to disagree and wait to see how this season pans out.

Pretty please?

Originally posted by 49ersMan420:
LOL i really cant wait to see the comments when Smith starts and plays good....

Originally posted by DaveWilcox:
Someone around here, not sure who, had suggested creating a separate forum just for Alex Smith topics.

I think it may be time to seriously consider that idea. It gets really old, the constant Alex bashing, that is.

Maybe the Chief Alex hater in charge, should just create a website devoted exclusively to bashing Alex.

There is nothing that can be said about Alex that hasn't already been said, over and over again. How do new Alex topics even get started in the first place? I think this one has escaped the notice of the mods, but not for long I suspect.

I agree. All these Alex smit either positive r negative have became very boring, and spread like cancer.
No matter who starts at QB you guys should f**kin hope they do well.You wanna talk about busts,I have seen quite a few of you guys that post here that are more of an embarrassment to the Niners than Smith will ever be even if he never takes another snap for the team.I cannot wait to see the mad scramble to get on the bandwagon if Smith is ultimately successful,just like the fair weather fans that you are.
Originally posted by Memphis9er:
No matter who starts at QB you guys should f**kin hope they do well.You wanna talk about busts,I have seen quite a few of you guys that post here that are more of an embarrassment to the Niners than Smith will ever be even if he never takes another snap for the team.I cannot wait to see the mad scramble to get on the bandwagon if Smith is ultimately successful,just like the fair weather fans that you are.

HAHA!! So true. There won't be enough crow to go around if Smith happens to succeed.
Originally posted by Memphis9er:

I couldn't have said it better mysefl
Originally posted by oldman9er:
Meh... can't judge one player off of these numbers. Forget all the numbers from 05 and all of the numbers from games played post-injury. He put up better numbers than many notable QBs in their 2nd seasons (2006) and helped bring SF to 2-1 (2007) with Hostler as our OC. Numbers, Schmumbers...

That's what's funny about those that dislike the guy. Notice I say dislike.

Nobody knows one way or the other right now if he can rebound from the crappy QB rating but I would like to think that most QBs' can and that happens to include Smith.

~Ceadder
Originally posted by Apples:

That about sums it up right there Apples.

Nice to know that even you will have that smug look wiped off your silly mug.

~Ceadder
He didn't play much in 07 and 08 so these stats mean nothing related to Smith.

• DVDA
  • Veteran
Originally posted by glorydayz:
Originally posted by 23zack80:
Originally posted by glorydayz:
Originally posted by BrodieFan:
"Until then he is just another BUST, even worst than that Ryan Leaf catagory because Leaf wasn't a #1 overall pick!"

Oh please. That's really stretching. Leaf and Manning were both consensus number one picks. Half those watching predicted Manning and half predicted Leaf. Leaf got run off the team that drafted him for being a big a-hole and not producing. So, he is, by definition, a bust. Smith is still competing in good faith and still retained by the team that drafted him. So, he is, by definition, NOT a bust.

He is Competing with SHAUN HILL! He is a bust, was Shaun Hill even drafted?
Leaf was not a #1 overall pick no matter how you swing it, A. Smith was and he just like Leaf is a bust!

Oh no! I forgot that where you get drafted is how good you are. Shaun Hill wasn't drafted so he sucks! By your logic, Alex Smith is one of the best players in the league!!! Thanks for clearing that up!!!!! Great Post!!!!

LOL, you don't get drafted #1 overall for nothing.

OWNED!

Is this guy serious?
Originally posted by webby2538:
Originally posted by TexasNiner:
ESPN just had a bit on about Vince Young, and how his future might be someplace other than Tennesee.

They showed a list of the bottom 5 passers in the NFL since 2006 (based on passer rating), and here's how it breaks down:

VY: 68.8
Derek Anderson: 75.2
Eli Manning: 78.9
Jon Kitna: 79.6
JP Losman: 79.6

I was surprised that Alex wasn't in that group, but the minimum games started to qualify was 25.

Alex only played in 23 games in that span, so he just missed the cut. Had he been eligible, he would have been at the top (bottom) of the pack.

His passer rating for that time period would be an even 66.0, easily the worst in the league.

And keep in mind this does NOT include his rookie numbers, which were even worse.

I know he's looking good in some practices so far, but these numbers scare me.

Used a QB rating calculator and his QB rating over that time is 69.43. Not the worst qb

Hmmm...pwned?
Originally posted by Ceadderman:

~Ceadder

One thing I've always wondered:

How do you pronounce "Ceadder"? Is it like "cheddar", or more like "cedar"?
Originally posted by Ceadderman:

~Ceadder

One thing I've always wondered:

How do you pronounce "Ceadder"? Is it like "cheddar", or more like "cedar"?

Ask an Irishman how to pronounce it. Ceadda is the Irish spelling of my name and erman is Americanization of a nickname that I've had since I was but a pup.

Phonetically it sounds like Chay-da.

~Ceadder
Thats cause he sucks! No surprise here... next
Share 49ersWebzone