There are 43 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

A tribute to former role players

Who here remembers the great two years that Charlie Garner had in 1999-2000 before moving on to the Raiders?

He could run a draw play better than any RB I've seen.

And how about Marc Logan, FB -- very versatile and a good change up to Rathman.
I almost forgot about Charlie Garner! He was the RB when TO visited the star :)
Originally posted by footballfreak49:
thanks wolfpack...some of these guys were starters are team desperately depended on! i'm talking about the Cedrick Wilson type!


Time out, time out, ooooooh s**t the games over! I was so pissed. Who remembers this. Frickin cedric wilson, then moves on to get a superbowl ring wit the steelers. Did pretty good in the playoffs
  • DJD
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 2,806
William Floyd
Originally posted by DJD:
William Floyd

YES!!!!
  • Kush_Man16
  • Info N/A
tim mcdonald
eric wright
gary plummer
merton hanks
fred beasley
lee woodall
Originally posted by Kush_Man16:
tim mcdonald
eric wright
gary plummer
merton hanks
fred beasley
lee woodall

Half those guys were probowlers, not role players.
  • Kush_Man16
  • Info N/A
which ones were probowlers....telll me im kinda young but didnt think any of them except maybe merton hanks and fred beasley made the pro bowl
  • SerJerryofRice
  • Info N/A
Originally posted by Kush_Man16:
which ones were probowlers....telll me im kinda young but didnt think any of them except maybe merton hanks and fred beasley made the pro bowl

Timmy Mac made the pro bowl in '94 along with Hanks. Every starter from our secondary made it that year except for Eric Davis.

Off-hand, I would assume that Plummer and Wright made it at some point, too.

I don't think anyone's named JJ Stokes yet (for what it was, if Tai Streets can get a mention so can he, because he was never anything more than a role player).

Also, with all this mention about Popson, what about Greg Clark? He was Vernon Davis before we had him (killer blocking TE) except he could catch TDs when needed. Damn hamstrings killed his career with us.
Originally posted by SerJerryofRice:
Originally posted by Kush_Man16:
which ones were probowlers....telll me im kinda young but didnt think any of them except maybe merton hanks and fred beasley made the pro bowl

Timmy Mac made the pro bowl in '94 along with Hanks. Every starter from our secondary made it that year except for Eric Davis.

Off-hand, I would assume that Plummer and Wright made it at some point, too.

I don't think anyone's named JJ Stokes yet (for what it was, if Tai Streets can get a mention so can he, because he was never anything more than a role player).

Also, with all this mention about Popson, what about Greg Clark? He was Vernon Davis before we had him (killer blocking TE) except he could catch TDs when needed. Damn hamstrings killed his career with us.


Yup jj stokes was a pretty good wr, id say he was one of if not the best 3rd wr in the league. He was plagued by playing behind thelegendary rice, and owens! In that time frame ya had the niners vikings, and packers wit the top best 3 wrs in the league as far as production imo!
Originally posted by frankie:
Originally posted by HaiGuise:
For names sake, Iheanyi Uwaezuoke


Wasn't it pronounced
You way za kay? Lol it took a bit before I knew how to pronounce it n yet I think I have it wrong now ha ha

I always thought it was pronounced Ooh-Wayz-Okay, which is probably the English pronunciation. Although I would imagine the African way probably has a 'click' sound in there somewhere.

[ Edited by HaiGuise on Jun 30, 2009 at 19:26:42 ]
Originally posted by HaiGuise:
Originally posted by frankie:
Originally posted by HaiGuise:
For names sake, Iheanyi Uwaezuoke


Wasn't it pronounced
You way za kay? Lol it took a bit before I knew how to pronounce it n yet I think I have it wrong now ha ha

I always thought it was pronounced Ooh-Wayz-Okay, which is probably the English pronunciation. Although I would imagine the African way probably has a 'click' sound in there somewhere.


Ha ha yeah I suppose man ha ha. That name man it was crazy.
Winfred Tubbs
Originally posted by Gore_21:
Originally posted by SanFranAddic:
Originally posted by Gore_21:
Anyone else besides me know what position Ted Popson played?

The TE with a spine and neck made of rubber.

Anybody remember what play I'm referring to?


You got me... did he do a Don Beebe esq flip off of his head?

I think it might have been against the Cowboys in later 90's, he caught a pass by the goal line and got flipped on his face while his neck and back bent over in a horrifying U shape. He was literally bent over backwards on the play. I thought he was gonna be paralyzed by it.
Originally posted by SanFranAddic:
Originally posted by Gore_21:
Originally posted by SanFranAddic:
Originally posted by Gore_21:
Anyone else besides me know what position Ted Popson played?

The TE with a spine and neck made of rubber.

Anybody remember what play I'm referring to?


You got me... did he do a Don Beebe esq flip off of his head?

I think it might have been against the Cowboys in later 90's, he caught a pass by the goal line and got flipped on his face while his neck and back bent over in a horrifying U shape. He was literally bent over backwards on the play. I thought he was gonna be paralyzed by it.


I remember that play. I was eating popcorn and I swear I thought he was a gonner. I was in complete shock. He was extremely underated.