LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 238 users in the forums

A tribute to former role players

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Tim Harris,
Zack Bronson- Had some good hands and ball skills (something today's niner db's need to study.

Michael Carter- Most will still acknowledge he was maneating beast in the middle our D. Just doesn't get mention as much as a lot of the other SB era niners.

BY- he was very popular by peers and some like Madden acknowledged he being best D lineman in the league. But once our team went downhill and he became "the only guy on the d-line (sometimes only guy on the defense)," his stats went down as a pass rusher and he became more of a 2-3 blocker occupier than a sack man (Still I saw him get a sack against 3 blockers in Mexico vs AZ!). He was one of the best rushers and one of the best run stoppers at the same time. one of the most respected dudes in the league, just didn't have the mouth (or the pure sack stats) as Sapp or Strahan to be as media-appreciated as them. Belongs in the HOF.

Marc Edwards- The 4th down play '98 wildcard drive vs. GB

Chris Dalman- Good center until he got seriously injured

Jeff Fuller- Good DB " "

Ted Popson- Came out of nowhere as one of S. Young's favorite targets in '95

Rathman- Catching, Running, blocking machine. Became "the guy" when Craig got banged up and slowed down.

JT- best receiver in the league not named Rice. two 90 yarders in comeback vs. Lambs still my favorite game ever.
Originally posted by 49erWill:
Terry Kirby

Greatminds think alike. Hey will how long ya been a mod now? I was gone a bit lol......
Originally posted by frankie:
Terry Kirby

Greatminds think alike. Hey will how long ya been a mod now? I was gone a bit lol......

Whats up man?

hmmmm bout 6 months or so

That's bout as long as I was gone man ha ha! Sweet man well congrats for sure. This offeseason is lagging bro ha ha. Gotta love the od to the memory thread of past players! Ha ha
Originally posted by jprchrds:
Originally posted by phatbutskinny:
RW McQuarters was a baller.
Junior Bryant
Dana Stubblefield
Ray Brown (not really a role player but ppl seem to forget him)
Tim McDonald
Ahmed Plummer
Dexter Carter
Roy Barker
Maurice Hicks

Tim McDonald a role player is like calling Jerry Rice a "Role Player"

wasn't really listing role players, just players that maybe some of us fans forgot about, but were ballin back in the days
Originally posted by jprchrds:
Junior Bryant
Dana Stubblefield
Tim McDonald
Ahmed Plummer
Dexter Carter
Roy Barker
Maurice Hicks

Tim McDonald a role player is like calling Jerry Rice a "Role Player"

wasn't really listing role players, just players that maybe some of us fans forgot about, but were ballin back in the days

Here is one some may have forgotton bout, actually doubt anyone forgotten! Mr lee woodall himself
  • GoatRider
  • Info N/A
Kirby was good so was Tommy Thompson who punted and kicked off bare-footed. Also liked Brent Jones. He was the reason Steve Young made the Hall. He was the safety valve Steve needed underneath.
Originally posted by GoatRider:
Kirby was good so was Tommy Thompson who punted and kicked off bare-footed. Also liked Brent Jones. He was the reason Steve Young made the Hall. He was the safety valve Steve needed underneath.

Nice additions as well brent jones was the man, and that kicking barefoot looks like it would hurt lol
  • SerJerryofRice
  • Info N/A
Originally posted by SanFranAddic:
Originally posted by Gore_21:
Anyone else besides me know what position Ted Popson played?

The TE with a spine and neck made of rubber.

Anybody remember what play I'm referring to?

Against the Panthers in Candlestick the year they won the division (1996). We needed that damn game for a bye week in the playoffs. Didin't he drop the ball after landing on his head, though, near the goal line? (T.O. also had a few dropsies that I recall from the highlights)
BILL RING '81-'86!!!! That guy is the quintessential blue-collar grunt who did anything Walsh asked him to do--love that guy!

http://www.49ers.com/pressbox/news_detail.php?PRKey=3825§ion=PR%20News

Originally posted by footballfreak49:
we cant forget Kevan Barlow! he was a great complement to Hearst.

That's going a little far. Barlow was garbage. Big mouth, little game...
Junior Bryant
Dana Stubblefield
Tim McDonald
Ahmed Plummer
Dexter Carter
Roy Barker
Maurice Hicks

Plummer? wtf? The crappy CB that got burned on every play??!
  • BobS
  • Veteran
Nate Singleton
Originally posted by NinerGM:
Ricky Jackson
Kevin Greene
Wesley Walls (who became a Niner-killer in Carolina)
Terry Kirby
Kevin Gogan
Chris Warren
Nate Singleton
Sanjay Beach
Winfred Tubbs
Travis Jervy
William Floyd
Mark Seay
Charlie Garner (a.ka. the original Brian Westbrook, aka Instant O)

For names sake, Iheanyi Uwaezuoke
Share 49ersWebzone