There are 122 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Arguments for Alex Smith and Shaun Hill to Start

Originally posted by cNiner:
talking about Alex

I know you haven't seen him play in two years, but is there where Alex Smith, because of his arm strength and the better physical tools, might be the better option at quarterback?
Cosell: "Well, I don't think Alex Smith has particularly good physical tools. Certainly, we know Shaun Hill has an average to below-average NFL arm. You're right, we haven't seen Alex Smith throw in two years, but the last time we did see him throw and even when he came out (of college), I'd say Alex Smith's arm strength was slightly better than average - nothing more. I'm always leery - I know he's a smart kid - but I don't know how much he's learned. I'm not there. When you play in the Urban Meyer offense, and I can tell you for a fact, that when Alex Smith went through his board work for teams coming out of the draft that he had zero clue about NFL route combinations, which is not surprising. Because in Urban Meyer's offense, nobody does. I'm not a big Alex Smith guy. I think he has limited skills and I think he's got limited understanding."

http://blog.pressdemocrat.com/49ers/2009/10/filmophile-breaks-down-49ers.html

the whole article !

Can't agree more... about Hill too BTW
[ Edited by pigskin on Oct 18, 2009 at 11:16 AM ]
Originally posted by 49ersalldaway126:
Originally posted by TheG0RE49er:
Originally posted by jeepzilla:
Originally posted by ninersrule4:
talking about Alex

I know you haven't seen him play in two years, but is there where Alex Smith, because of his arm strength and the better physical tools, might be the better option at quarterback?
Cosell: "Well, I don't think Alex Smith has particularly good physical tools. Certainly, we know Shaun Hill has an average to below-average NFL arm. You're right, we haven't seen Alex Smith throw in two years, but the last time we did see him throw and even when he came out (of college), I'd say Alex Smith's arm strength was slightly better than average - nothing more. I'm always leery - I know he's a smart kid - but I don't know how much he's learned. I'm not there. When you play in the Urban Meyer offense, and I can tell you for a fact, that when Alex Smith went through his board work for teams coming out of the draft that he had zero clue about NFL route combinations, which is not surprising. Because in Urban Meyer's offense, nobody does. I'm not a big Alex Smith guy. I think he has limited skills and I think he's got limited understanding."

the whole article !

hes an idiot

Who's an idiot? I admit AS was thrown into the fire, but, he hasn't progressed at all even in the preseason games this year.
Why don't people just sit back and let AS go. If he came out strong in preseason and made an impact, I would say keep riding the horse, however, he still has shown nothing.

06 showed us improvement and was 2-1 (losss to steelers) b4 getting injured

he should've been MVP of the league

since when did improvement mean best in the world i said he showed promise to be a good Qb before he was injured even with our mediocore team

Just a typical response thrown out there by someone without a legitimate rebuttal to a fact. Just shows how limited his depth of knowledge on the subject is.
talking about Alex

the whole article !

Just for the sake of equal representation.

In the same article, talking about Hill:

On the other side of the ball, the 49ers have some problems, don't they?

Cosell: "The one thing fans might not realize is that coaches know exactly what their players can and can't do. If a team gets down, like the Niners, and they can't throw to get back in the game and fans go, 'Oh, my, they can't throw!' Well, the 49ers know that, too. They can't play in those kinds of games. They can't win those kinds of games. They have to play in games where their defense keeps the game close, so their offense can run the ball. I think (Shaun) Hill has had some nice moments this year. I thought his (fourth-quarter) drive against Arizona Week 1 was very, very good. I have some problems with the way Arizona chose to play defense on that drive, but you still have to make the throws. Same with Minnesota. I thought Hill made some very good throws. I thought Minnesota had some problems with playing their coverages and the responsibilities within those coverages, but you still have to make the throws. But at the end of the day, Hill is not going to be a guy who's going to consistently drop back and make throw after throw after throw to either keep you in games or win games."

Make you feel better about the QB situation? To me it seems a choice of taking the lesser of two evils. I have to ask, what do you think will happen first, Smith might learn NFL offense, or Hill will develop a stronger arm and the ability to throw a spiral? I think one is teachable and the others are limited by nature.
  • B650
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Memphis9er:
talking about Alex

the whole article !

Just for the sake of equal representation.

In the same article, talking about Hill:

On the other side of the ball, the 49ers have some problems, don't they?

Cosell: "The one thing fans might not realize is that coaches know exactly what their players can and can't do. If a team gets down, like the Niners, and they can't throw to get back in the game and fans go, 'Oh, my, they can't throw!' Well, the 49ers know that, too. They can't play in those kinds of games. They can't win those kinds of games. They have to play in games where their defense keeps the game close, so their offense can run the ball. I think (Shaun) Hill has had some nice moments this year. I thought his (fourth-quarter) drive against Arizona Week 1 was very, very good. I have some problems with the way Arizona chose to play defense on that drive, but you still have to make the throws. Same with Minnesota. I thought Hill made some very good throws. I thought Minnesota had some problems with playing their coverages and the responsibilities within those coverages, but you still have to make the throws. But at the end of the day, Hill is not going to be a guy who's going to consistently drop back and make throw after throw after throw to either keep you in games or win games."

Make you feel better about the QB situation? To me it seems a choice of taking the lesser of two evils. I have to ask, what do you think will happen first, Smith might learn NFL offense, or Hill will develop a stronger arm and the ability to throw a spiral? I think one is teachable and the others are limited by nature.

Agreed, but some QBs have less-than-average arms, yet still do very well in the NFL because of other things they do well. Montana didn't have the strongest arm, but he had everything else going for him.

I think if Hill continues to play like he's playing, he should be benched. Yes, a lot of it has to do with his arm strength, but that isn't everything. JaMarcus Russell has arm strength and he's probably worse than Hill. Hill just isn't very good at anything. That's the problem. He isn't accurate, has no mobility, can't make quick decisions, and the icing on the cake is his arm strength.

I can't put the blame all on him though. This OL is the worst I've seen since 1999. Also, Hill seemed like a much better QB in 2007 and 2008, so I think a lot of it has to do with the philosophy of the HC and OC.
talking about Alex

the whole article !

hes an idiot

Who's an idiot? I admit AS was thrown into the fire, but, he hasn't progressed at all even in the preseason games this year.
Why don't people just sit back and let AS go. If he came out strong in preseason and made an impact, I would say keep riding the horse, however, he still has shown nothing.

since when did improvement mean best in the world i said he showed promise to be a good Qb before he was injured even with our mediocore team

Just a typical response thrown out there by someone without a legitimate rebuttal to a fact. Just shows how limited his depth of knowledge on the subject is.

Sorry I'm not a Smith homer and I've come to accept the fact that this guy is a bust and moved on.

Your depth of knowledge on this must be great, I mean you spend your time in practice working with Smith everyday, so I'm sure your insight on this matter is held in high regards.

Let's face it guys, he didn't have a great WR, a good oline, and a stable OC...there are few QB's in the league that have this, and most of them have out performed Smith.

For anybody to say that Smith can come win, and play better than Hill, is just comedy...he had his chance in TC & Preseason to win the job, he couldn't beat out a undrafted QB with a noodle arm, that says enough.

And if it wasn't for Nate Davis being a rookie, Alex would've been 3rd on the depth chart.

Hill isn't the answer, but neither is Alex, but for now Hill gives us a better chance to win. Until this last game the Alex fans were in the closet hiding, now that we have a bad game (the whole team all round) they sprout right out...typical.
  • B650
  • Veteran
talking about Alex

the whole article !

hes an idiot

Sorry I'm not a Smith homer and I've come to accept the fact that this guy is a bust and moved on.

Your depth of knowledge on this must be great, I mean you spend your time in practice working with Smith everyday, so I'm sure your insight on this matter is held in high regards.

Let's face it guys, he didn't have a great WR, a good oline, and a stable OC...there are few QB's in the league that have this, and most of them have out performed Smith.

For anybody to say that Smith can come win, and play better than Hill, is just comedy...he had his chance in TC & Preseason to win the job, he couldn't beat out a undrafted QB with a noodle arm, that says enough.

And if it wasn't for Nate Davis being a rookie, Alex would've been 3rd on the depth chart.

Hill isn't the answer, but neither is Alex, but for now Hill gives us a better chance to win. Until this last game the Alex fans were in the closet hiding, now that we have a bad game (the whole team all round) they sprout right out...typical.

Does Hill really give us a better chance to win? What is it about him that makes that so? He's averaging a TD and 180 yards per game. You telling me Smith can't do better than that? I say he can, and he can also change the way the defense plays us because they have to play differently with him out there. With Hill, there are blind spots all over the field that the defense doesn't even have to worry about. I don't see how Hill gives us a better chance to win. Really, I don't. I could've agreed with you if this was last year, but it isn't. It's a new year with a new OC, and I think Alex fits better now.
Originally posted by B650:
talking about Alex

the whole article !

hes an idiot

Does Hill really give us a better chance to win? What is it about him that makes that so? He's averaging a TD and 180 yards per game. You telling me Smith can't do better than that? I say he can, and he can also change the way the defense plays us because they have to play differently with him out there. With Hill, there are blind spots all over the field that the defense doesn't even have to worry about. I don't see how Hill gives us a better chance to win. Really, I don't. I could've agreed with you if this was last year, but it isn't. It's a new year with a new OC, and I think Alex fits better now.

I don't believe we would've had the same ball security with Smith, I also don't believe that Smith could've kept his composure like Hill has done and lead us down the field for a score.
Will this dumb ass fued between fans ever end? Does it really matter who is under center? No it doesn't, as long as they can manage the game and win the game when needed. This means in a situation like the Falcons game, when we are behind and we need the QB to make the throws down the field to get points on the board to get back into the game.
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by backontop:
Will this dumb ass fued between fans ever end? Does it really matter who is under center? No it doesn't, as long as they can manage the game and win the game when needed. This means in a situation like the Falcons game, when we are behind and we need the QB to make the throws down the field to get points on the board to get back into the game.

Would love to see a QB in this league comeback from a 35-10 deficit, especially when the defense was getting schooled that day.

And to answer the fued question, if you guys like I can lock every Smith vs. Hill thread that comes up?? Of course no one would be happy about that, since QB's are the scapegoats on our beloved team.

It won't. Way to many people still have a boner for Smith.

IF at the beginning of the season, Smith would've been named the starter, I would've jumped on board, and cheered him on, as much as any other fan. But he didn't, Hill won, but people can't put that aside, and it doesn't matter what Hill does, people just want Smith to play.

As long as Smith is a 49er, we will always be divided, and if he was the starter, you would have the Smith haters calling in for Hill or Davis. It's a no win.

It is just a dumb arguement between the fans. Which of our two QB is worst? The bottom line is the 49ers know who there QB is. It's Hill. There hasn't been any talk or rumors about Alex taking over. Hill will continue to be the starter unless he becomes the reason why we lose. Now I know a bunch of Hill haters or Smith backers will piggy back off this statement and give reasons why Hill is the reason we struggle. But Singletary has made it clear that the offensive line is the main reason. I'm sorry but I find him to be a more reliable source than any of you.
[ Edited by dirtysouthniner on Oct 18, 2009 at 12:35 PM ]

IF at the beginning of the season, Smith would've been named the starter, I would've jumped on board, and cheered him on, as much as any other fan. But he didn't, Hill won, but people can't put that aside, and it doesn't matter what Hill does, people just want Smith to play.

As long as Smith is a 49er, we will always be divided, and if he was the starter, you would have the Smith haters calling in for Hill or Davis. It's a no win.

The same can be said about Hill. The facts are Hill didn't win the "competition" Singletary went with the safer option. He stated that he knew what he had in Hill. He had a game manager. Hill won't lose you any games, but he won't win you many either. Singletary didn't know what he had in Smith as he hasn't started a game in 2 years. I agree with Singletary's decision 100%. But with the way that Hill has been playing thus far this season, something needs to change. If Smith had started and was performing the same way that Hill has been thus far, I would be still be saying that something needs to change. I don't care who is behind center as long as the damn team wins. I am a 49er fan before I am a fan of a player. I just don't see why so many 49er fans have such hatred for Smith. They act like he raped their mother then whiped his d1ck on their sister. The guy was drafted #1 overall. Yea we get that, did he draft himself? No the team drafted him so if you want to aim your hatred at something at least point it in the right direction. Hate the 49ers and find a new team. One that has a 100% draft pick success rating.
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Hmmph check out Eli Manning down 41-17 with only 100 yards passing.....that guy sucks right.

Again team effort.

The same can be said about Hill. The facts are Hill didn't win the "competition" Singletary went with the safer option. He stated that he knew what he had in Hill. He had a game manager. Hill won't lose you any games, but he won't win you many either. Singletary didn't know what he had in Smith as he hasn't started a game in 2 years. I agree with Singletary's decision 100%. But with the way that Hill has been playing thus far this season, something needs to change. If Smith had started and was performing the same way that Hill has been thus far, I would be still be saying that something needs to change. I don't care who is behind center as long as the damn team wins. I am a 49er fan before I am a fan of a player. I just don't see why so many 49er fans have such hatred for Smith. They act like he raped their mother then whiped his d1ck on their sister. The guy was drafted #1 overall. Yea we get that, did he draft himself? No the team drafted him so if you want to aim your hatred at something at least point it in the right direction. Hate the 49ers and find a new team. One that has a 100% draft pick success rating.
Originally posted by Kolohe:
Hmmph check out Eli Manning down 41-17 with only 100 yards passing.....that guy sucks right.

Again team effort.

The difference betweein Hill and Manning is that Manning has the ability to get the ball to his WR's.