There are 208 users in the forums

How do you teach "tough minded football" ?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by BurritoSmuggler:
Singletary keeps talking about how he wants a "tough" "physical" team, but how do you teach that? What do you think he does to get them to play like that?

I'm thinking.. the hill.. and his military style practices. fast pace, ect.

What do you guys think? I'm curious because it seems like it's how people view the game, like you would need people with that attitude.. that you can't really just teach them to be physical. I don't know. Just thought it was interesting to think about.

It's a mind set, like going through basic training in the military. You can get a group of people to start thinking and reacting a certain way as a group, the behavior reinforces itself after people inside the group start getting what the coaches are teaching, but it starts from the top, in this case Singletary. POnce it starts catching on inside a group that mindset carries over.
  • titan
  • Veteran
Get tough minded players and teach them the scheme. It hard to get cowards and turn them into a man.
Originally posted by titan:
Get tough minded players and teach them the scheme. It hard to get cowards and turn them into a man.

Cowards? Please. Nobody in the NFL is a coward.
Originally posted by BrodieFan:

Vince Young? Brandon Lloyd?
Originally posted by singfan:
Originally posted by oldninerdude:
Originally posted by Memphis9er:
I can picture it now. McClueless interviewing Sing for the HC position.

McCloughan: "How will you make this team better, Coach?"

Sing: "By being tough minded!"

McCloughan: "Wow, what do you plan to do"

Sing: "Be physical with an F"

McCloughan: "Wow, what's that mean?"

Sing: "We will use stiff arms and run over p***y DB's"

McCloughan: "Wow, can you sell this to the public?"

Sing: "I'm really a motivational speaker by trade."

McCloughan: "I'm moist, you're hired! Screw Holmgren."

What color is the sky in your world?

Holmgren was never an option,he is taking a year off,and was pretty vocal in the media in saying so.Your act is getting so tired it is even ceasing to carry the comedic relief that it once had as its only redeeming quality.Ok we get it,you are not happy with Singletary and wish we had hired guys that were not available for hiring,or washed up and burnt out.

Dude, you guys have to start just ignoring him.

Oldnolandude is back. Maybe Memphis could just create another user name like Pebblefreeze and then reply. Your thoughts?

I do not have to hide behind fake user names,nor do I have to make up second accounts to have someone to agree with what I say.You wanna know why?Because I am a man of integrity.Therefore I do not need a second user account here because,agree with me or not,most here know what I am about.The fact that I have never had more than a PM from a moderator (for calling you on your bulls**t I might add) speaks to my credibility on this site.I am not afraid to put my real name in my profile,I am not one of those internet tough guys that is afraid to stand up behind what I say,unlike you.So instead of trolling why don't you try adding something constructive to the topic of the thread or just take your one trick pony show somewhere where it is appreciated,and let the grown ups discuss football.
you don't teach it, you sell it

post of the year....
Originally posted by mojave45:
Originally posted by BurritoSmuggler:
Singletary keeps talking about how he wants a "tough" "physical" team, but how do you teach that? What do you think he does to get them to play like that?

I'm thinking.. the hill.. and his military style practices. fast pace, ect.

What do you guys think? I'm curious because it seems like it's how people view the game, like you would need people with that attitude.. that you can't really just teach them to be physical. I don't know. Just thought it was interesting to think about.

It's a mind set, like going through basic training in the military. You can get a group of people to start thinking and reacting a certain way as a group, the behavior reinforces itself after people inside the group start getting what the coaches are teaching, but it starts from the top, in this case Singletary. POnce it starts catching on inside a group that mindset carries over.

Thanks for the military parallel. I brought up the same analogy a few weeks ago, and a guy who's name I won't mention, said you can't compare military and football.
Originally posted by Lott49ersFan:
Originally posted by BrodieFan:

Vince Young? Brandon Lloyd?

OK, I shouldn't have used such a broad brush. Let's just say the NFL is generally not for cowards.

Interviewer- Have you actually watched any 49er games?

Singfan - not really, on Sunday I watch the Cartoon Channel most of the day.

Interviewer - during the week ESPN and NFL Network have informative shows about the NFL. Do you watch those?

Singfan - are you kidding? Not when I can watch "As The World Turns".

Interviewer - there are many local sportswriters that print articles in their papers and blogs about the 49ers. Do you read them?

Singfan - articles? Blogs? You've got me there.

Interviewer - have you actually studied the careers and resumes of the 49er coaches and evaluated the quality of this years players?

Singfan - studied? Evaluated? I'm not sure what that means.

Interviewer - many on this Forum believe you are being too hard on Mike Singletary and wonder why. How do you respond?

Singfan - that's easy, THE VOICE told me.

Inteviewer - THE VOICE? What is that?

Singfan - THE VOICE came in the middle of the night and told me that an evil person by the name of Mike Singletary had been sent from a far planet to destroy the San Francisco 49ers, and that it was my calling to speak out against this evil person and prevent him from completing his terrible mission. That is why I try to warn those on the Forum of the evil this man is trying to perpetuate.

Interviewer - do you actually expect me to believe that story?

Singfan - well, it's the best I've got.

• Chavez49er255
  • Info N/A
With a tough minded coach
Originally posted by Chavez49er255:
With a tough minded coach

That seems correct, to me. After watching some of the Superbowl Champions' seasons on America's Game on NFL Network this weekend, it always seems like it starts with the coach.

Bill Walsh, Chuck Noll, Coughlin, Ditka, Landry, Lombardi, etc.

Serious, dedicated, hard working, relentless, tough-minded guys.
Originally posted by jsaniner:

Interviewer - during the week ESPN and NFL Network have informative shows about the NFL. Do you watch those?

Interviewer - there are many local sportswriters that print articles in their papers and blogs about the 49ers. Do you read them?

Interviewer - have you actually studied the careers and resumes of the 49er coaches and evaluated the quality of this years players?

Interviewer - many on this Forum believe you are being too hard on Mike Singletary and wonder why. How do you respond?

Singfan - THE VOICE came in the middle of the night and told me that an evil person by the name of Mike Singletary had been sent from a far planet to destroy the San Francisco 49ers, and that it was my calling to speak out against this evil person and prevent him from completing his terrible mission. That is why I try to warn those on the Forum of the evil this man is trying to perpetuate.

Originally posted by jsaniner:

Originally posted by oldninerdude:

What color is the sky in your world?

Holmgren was never an option,he is taking a year off,and was pretty vocal in the media in saying so.Your act is getting so tired it is even ceasing to carry the comedic relief that it once had as its only redeeming quality.Ok we get it,you are not happy with Singletary and wish we had hired guys that were not available for hiring,or washed up and burnt out.

Dude, you guys have to start just ignoring him.

Oldnolandude is back. Maybe Memphis could just create another user name like Pebblefreeze and then reply. Your thoughts?

I do not have to hide behind fake user names,nor do I have to make up second accounts to have someone to agree with what I say.You wanna know why?Because I am a man of integrity.Therefore I do not need a second user account here because,agree with me or not,most here know what I am about.The fact that I have never had more than a PM from a moderator (for calling you on your bulls**t I might add) speaks to my credibility on this site.I am not afraid to put my real name in my profile,I am not one of those internet tough guys that is afraid to stand up behind what I say,unlike you.So instead of trolling why don't you try adding something constructive to the topic of the thread or just take your one trick pony show somewhere where it is appreciated,and let the grown ups discuss football.

FYI... Do you realize that you do not hit the space bar after using punctuation? I need you to address that situation for me. Your posts are extremely difficult to decipher sometimes.

Listen, my post was directed more towards our other friend, but I do appreciate you taking the time to answer. Also, if you could possibly refer me back to the post that required a moderator to PM you for calling me on my "bulls**t", maybe I can work to avoid that type of potential situation for you in the future.
Share 49ersWebzone