There are 157 users in the forums

Who Would You Say Michael Crabtree Compares to in the NFL?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
He's looking a lot like Hines Ward. Not exactly the same in every way, but he's being used within the offense, with similar offensive system as the Steeler. This is before they became more of a passing team.
  • Geeked
  • Veteran
Kinda reminds me of a faster D. Clark. He can put on some moves that DC couldn't, but plays a similar roll.
He's like JJ STokes, Jerry Rice, and TO rolled up into one.
Boldin. were there in college still comparable
  • Geeked
  • Veteran
Originally posted by socalniner:
He's like JJ STokes, Jerry Rice, and TO rolled up into one.

He can catch, run a competent rout (albeit, this is a recent development), and move faster than a blocking tight end.

JJ Stokes has not right to be in this comparison.
  • Wodwo
  • Veteran
I've been thinking about this a bit and the thing that I just can't find a good comparison for is his running style combined with his size. He runs nothing like Boldin, who has a thick compact frame for a WR and lowers his pads or helmet to run over defenders. He's not a small slot guy who just jukes and outruns people, either.

He uses a combination of the two. In addition, he runs with a low pad level like a running back, IMO. It's very strange because he is long and lanky. He shows fantastic balance and often keeps the play alive by putting a hand on the ground. He's not the fastest player in the league, but he's significantly faster than some very successful WRs... he would run circles around Wes Welker, for example.

Lastly, he is fantastic after the catch compared to the rest of the WRs in the league. I didn't bother checking the numbers beyond those with a significant amount of YAC, but currently it appears that only Percy Harvin has a higher percentage of yardage from YAC.

I just don't think there is anybody else like him.
Hines Ward
crabs is like a bigger and less agile mario manningham
I think it's way too early to tell. If he plays with a QB that can hit him in stride I think Crabs is capable to excell at the RAC. I'll give him a few more years with Kaep before I compare him to anybody. Basically he's been handcuffed playing with Alex Smith.
Originally posted by pdizo916:
a 4th receiver on a GOOD team.

Agree he is too slow.

Originally posted by pete98146:
I think it's way too early to tell. If he plays with a QB that can hit him in stride I think Crabs is capable to excell at the RAC. I'll give him a few more years with Kaep before I compare him to anybody. Basically he's been handcuffed playing with Alex Smith.

AS hasn't played in almost 3 games... Just saying.
[ Edited by HOF49er on Nov 30, 2012 at 12:04 PM ]
Crabtree to me, is like Tim Brown of the Raiders. Also a first round pick. Running style, size, and catching ability.

I think the Tim Brown comparison is the best I have seen in this thread.
I think that Crabs is unique and it is tough to compare him to anyone though I think Tim Brown is a the closest comparison. He has good hands like him, and have similar running style except Tim had world class speed. Obviously Crabs has a lot of work to do to be mention in the same breath as Tim Brown by careers end.
Until he can take a lesson from mario, and learns how to shake, bake and fake off LOS, like Grigga, he doesn't remind me of anybody. Last yr was his low point, against the saints and NYG, never getting open...ok, once in one game and twice in the other. Yes he has gotten better this yr, but if he could learn and watch what mario does, off LOS, and once he catches the ball, it would be to his advantage. Right now crbs reminds me of a good college WR. When he gets bumped and held , he is going to have to learn to bump and shove. PS to crbs. Just watch mario.. The guy makes a living getting rid of defenders on LOS. Crbs won't be worth much until he can overcome the bump and holds. If he can get past that he can become great. Not $9 mil per/yr great, but great.
Share 49ersWebzone