There are 320 users in the forums

The 49ers have not approached Willis about an extension

Shop Find 49ers gear online

The 49ers have not approached Willis about an extension

Okay. Sign Willis now.

How much do you suggest offering him?

You see, that is the problem. You are not going to get a deal from a future Hall of Fame player. Willis is the current era's LT (Lawrence Taylor not Ladainian Tomlinson).

However much you offer him will likely be too little.

He will wait until next year or 2011 to sign an extension.
Originally posted by global_nomad:
Originally posted by luis1985:
Dude they will sign him when the time comes. It's gonna take time cause he is probably gonna get a FAT contract and he deserves it. No need to panic, I'm hoping they sing him till he retires.

I'm not panicking I'm agreeing, he deserves big money so give it to him, or at least stop pretending like he doesn't deserve it. Saying the team isn't talking to him is a sign of disrespect to me. but what do i know I'm just a fan

Disrespect?? That's not on Willis' vocabulary. He is one of the most humble players in the NFL and would never do something out of disrespect for the organization.
Originally posted by Thizz415:
His deal will come just give it time.
Originally posted by AllTimeGreat:
The 9ers aren't going to let Willis walk away. It will get done in due time.

+1
I do not know if PFT lurks in the webzone or what but apparently they're talking regarding this matter also. From the article I have to say that everytime P. Willis speaks or responds to questions I'm all ears. He's such a great human being. Need more men like P. Willis in this society. I'm posting the link (PS my embedder is not working so pls help in that department and pls do not get upset with me. I apologize ahead of time).

Linkage
Patrick Willis In No Rush For New Deal
Posted by Aaron Wilson on June 6, 2009, 9:30 p.m.
With three years left on his five-year, $16.655 million rookie contract, San Francisco 49ers linebacker Patrick Willis isn’t lobbying management for a contract extension, according to Dan Brown of the San Jose Mercury News.

Per the report, Willis seems satisfied with his current deal and playing in San Francisco. Willis added that he didn’t think the 49ers had broached the idea of a potential extension to his agent.

“I don’t let my mind go that far down the road,’’ Willis said. “… I love California. I love the fans. The weather, you can’t beat. It’s unbelievable.

“I would love to spend a long while here. But at the end of the day, all I can do is take it one year at a time and see what happens.”

At a time in the NFL when players griping about their respective contract situations can dominate the news cycle, Willis’ measured, patient approach is truly admirable.

[ Edited by Negrodamus on Jun 6, 2009 at 23:10:42 ]
It is not in Willis best interest to sign a new deal yet. There is a strong likelihood he will make the pro bowl again, continue to dominate while getting better (scary thought for the rest of the NFL) so why rush into anything.

I suspect the Niners will go one more season and sign him to a very large long term agreement before the 2010 season starts.
  • AZZ
  • Veteran
i know somebody that knows somebody, willis wants to be a niner for life. it will get done!
Originally posted by OnTheClock:
Originally posted by Thizz415:
His deal will come just give it time.
  • krizay
  • Veteran
I must be the only one on this board that doesn't actaully like signing all these plays to extensions so early in their contracts. I can see Staley and Willis I guess. But all these other guys? All we're doing is shelling out more money in the long run than if we wait. Cause we'll end up extending them again right around the same time the 1st extension shoulda been handed out.

We have been burned doing this for the past few years now. Extending guys for no reason wasting more money that could go else where for a player who isn't irreplaceable.

By being in the habit of doing this now. We'll have to do this for who knows how long. Instead of doing it the Steeler way and waiting until the last year of their deal.

I understand wanting to keep your young core for the forseeable future. But in the long haul we are going to have contract disputes, people wanting more money for outperforming their contracts. All because we keep handing out extensions waaaaaay ahead of time.

That's just my 2 cents and I'm sure i'll be flying solo on this one.
so what, they will...

Originally posted by krizay:
I must be the only one on this board that doesn't actaully like signing all these plays to extensions so early in their contracts. I can see Staley and Willis I guess. But all these other guys? All we're doing is shelling out more money in the long run than if we wait. Cause we'll end up extending them again right around the same time the 1st extension shoulda been handed out.

We have been burned doing this for the past few years now. Extending guys for no reason wasting more money that could go else where for a player who isn't irreplaceable.

By being in the habit of doing this now. We'll have to do this for who knows how long. Instead of doing it the Steeler way and waiting until the last year of their deal.

I understand wanting to keep your young core for the forseeable future. But in the long haul we are going to have contract disputes, people wanting more money for outperforming their contracts. All because we keep handing out extensions waaaaaay ahead of time.

So is that why we have been in good cap situations ever since paragg/McCloughan took over?
  • Dino
  • Veteran
  • krizay
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 49ersMan420:
Originally posted by krizay:

So is that why we have been in good cap situations ever since paragg/McCloughan took over?

Is that why we haven't won since they took over? giving extentions to players whom has help to our losing ways. Instead of letting some walk and replacing them with better players.

Not too mention the jump in the salary cap every year.
Originally posted by NinerGM:
Originally posted by Marvin49:
OMG...what are they thinking.

I mean seriously, he ONLY has three years left on his contract.

The famous Marvin sarcasm strikes again! Love it!

In not worried,when Patrick is ready for an extension,he'll go to Front Office and beat it out of them
Share 49ersWebzone