There are 132 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Who thinks David Baas should get new contract?

Originally posted by jon_aztecs12:
Originally posted by Sactown49er:
Originally posted by susweel:
Originally posted by billybonka:
sign Willis first

what he said

What they said
Originally posted by Oakland-Niner:
Originally posted by Hopper:
Originally posted by oldman9er:
You can "be killed" by this "watch the trenches crap" all you want. Fact remains, if you have a DVR, record every game, and watch and replay while carefully scrutinizing individual battles? You can learn much...

Exactly.

Lame. Clearly you dont know what your talking about. I record every game and the fact remains you cant break down film on a play by play basis even if you could slow it down to 1000 clips per second. The film the coaches look at is from a totally diffrent angle. But if you had a REAL football IQ you would know that, arm chair GM....

Nonsense... been there... done that. Try it, and you will be able to see plenty enough to know how an individual does in each play. Make sure you have that real football IQ with you though, so you know which side is offense and defense... slick. Is it the exact angles that coaches get? maybe not... but if you can't sit there and watch a single OL take on a blocker... slow it down... watch the leverage and adjustments made... then you need better eyes or a bigger TV. It's right there in plain view... frame by frame.

[ Edited by oldman9er on Jun 5, 2009 at 14:48:13 ]
David Baas (6-4 315) will get a NEW contact because of his nasty attitude on the field that Singletary likes so much. He's a very good O/G.

- Make it 5 years long, lock this young guy up!

- Make it worth 65 million dollars, give this young guy money to play for!

- Incentive based contract, so this young guy will play well!

Come on Scott McLulein, make this happen! The F.O. needs it as well as our Q.B.
  • TOP_CAT
  • Info N/A
[

Exactly.

Clearly you dont know what your talking about. I record every game and the fact remains you cant break down film on a play by play basis even if you could slow it down to 1000 clips per second. The film the coaches look at is from a totally diffrent angle. But if you had a REAL football IQ you would know that, arm chair GM....

Nonsense... been there... done that. Try it, and you will be able to see plenty enough to know how an individual does in each play. Make sure you have that real football IQ with you though, so you know which side is offense and defense... slick. Is it the exact angles that coaches get? maybe not... but if you can't sit there and watch a single OL take on a blocker... slow it down... watch the leverage and adjustments made... then you need better eyes or a bigger TV. It's right there in plain view... frame by frame.
I agree with you on this subject Oldman9er. Just wanted you to know there were no hard feeling about the difference of opinion on alex.

It is certainly benificial to record the games and replay some plays over and over again in real time and in slow motion,in order to see how an indivigual player performs his job in that game. Of course it is not as good as having NFL caliber game film to look at,where every player is isolated on every play. But you can do a pretty good job of telling who are the weak links and who is dominating etc.
All good, TC...
Originally posted by Hopper:
You can "be killed" by this "watch the trenches crap" all you want. Fact remains, if you have a DVR, record every game, and watch and replay while carefully scrutinizing individual battles? You can learn much...

Exactly.

Lame. Clearly you dont know what your talking about. I record every game and the fact remains you cant break down film on a play by play basis even if you could slow it down to 1000 clips per second. The film the coaches look at is from a totally diffrent angle. But if you had a REAL football IQ you would know that, arm chair GM....

Although its true that coaches have better film, angles etc, how does this preclude somebody from watching "film" (or "game footage" if one finds the word "film" offensive) of the offensive line?

We're not talking about rocket science. There is no "Football University" (that I am aware of).
Its fairly easy to look at game footage (its much easier to say "film", oh well) and determine who is playing well and who isn't; unless of course you have very poor picture quality.

People have different opinions, but that is what a message board is for, isn't it?

My opinion when I watch "film" of David Baas is that he plays well.
He blocks well in the running game, and he pass protects fairly well too.
I can't break down every single play on a message board, but I LOVE the fact that he doesn't play on roller skates and get bull-rushed all the time, much like other guards we have had in the past.

There seems to be an almost searing hatred for the guy from many fans. God knows why. Maybe he's a serial rapist?

He was beat out by a solid and EXPERIENCED guard in Justin Smiley. And then the one game where Heitmann went down, Wragge came in at center instead of Baas.
Perhaps the SCHEME demands more pulling and hence athleticism from the center position? Or perhaps Baas was never able to handle the mental aspect of the center position?
And then came the bizarre decision to put Snyder at guard last year. Perhaps this happened because of Baas's injury last year in the weight room, causing him to miss training camp.
Snyder played poorly, and now due to the luck of injury, Baas had a chance to play last year, and he played as he always plays, "good." Not "phenomenal," but "good."

Baas has struggled with early-year injuries, which seem to have hampered his ability to compete in training camp. But hopefully, he can stay healthy through camp this year and entrench himself for years to come.

The guy IS what we WANT on the line. A big, powerful mauler. Do we really want to let him go and replace him with yet ANOTHER high draft pick?
I say we keep him. He is "good" right now, and will only get better. Guys with his size and strength don't just grow on tree's.
He seems like the perfect fit to me.
I DONT DENY YOU CAN GET A GENERAL IMPRESSION OF HOW A PLAYER PLAYS FROM RECORDING THE GAMES. But all these goofy super analytic commentaries on technic and scheme are a joke. You just cant get all that technical from the general views perspective. I know a hurt a lot of peoples feelings by saying that because they like to think they are in the know, but spare me.

[ Edited by Oakland-Niner on Jun 5, 2009 at 15:18:44 ]
  • TOP_CAT
  • Info N/A
Actually my personal opinion has always been that Heitmann is the weak link on the line (now that we have Smith at RT). It seems to me that I always see Heitmann being pushed back into the face of the QB . He seems to be easily moved . I have said for years (every year before camp opened) that I was hoping that Heitmann would come in with added weight and strength or better tecnique or something. It never seems to happen. I know he is great at calling the signals for the O line and for some reason the coaching staff seem to like him (or else they always say nice things about him to try to build his confidence ?). I have even heard him referred to as one of the best Centers in the League by a couple of well known commentaors (I laughed and listened in amazment).
He is pretty good ( between average and good)but a pretty weak pass protector imho. I hope that perhaps he has just been looking bad because he had a rookie on one side of him (Rachal)and a rather new starter on the other side(Baas). But I have been saying the same thing about him since before either of those guys were starting,so I still believe he is a weak link on the O line.
But I still believe that this O line will be a strong point of the team this year,after they play together for a while .
I DONT DENY YOU CAN GET A GENERAL IMPRESSION OF HOW A PLAYER PLAYS FROM RECORDING THE GAMES. But all these goofy super analytic commentaries on technic and scheme are a joke. You just cant get all that technical from the general views perspective. I know a hurt a lot of peoples feelings by saying that because they like to think they are in the know, but spare me.

Not hurting my feelings... just saying you can get a very good evaluation of players when watching recorded games over and over, and observing specific individuals. Somehow, this reality seemed to irritate you... but you really can. (not claiming to be an all-knowing expert) General impression? C'mon... stop backtracking... You can see all you need to see from this method... it just takes lots of free time to be certain. I am, or I'd not state it.
Originally posted by TOP_CAT:
Actually my personal opinion has always been that Heitmann is the weak link on the line (now that we have Smith at RT). It seems to me that I always see Heitmann being pushed back into the face of the QB . He seems to be easily moved . I have said for years (every year before camp opened) that I was hoping that Heitmann would come in with added weight and strength or better tecnique or something. It never seems to happen. I know he is great at calling the signals for the O line and for some reason the coaching staff seem to like him (or else they always say nice things about him to try to build his confidence ?). I have even heard him referred to as one of the best Centers in the League by a couple of well known commentaors (I laughed and listened in amazment).
He is pretty good ( between average and good)but a pretty weak pass protector imho. I hope that perhaps he has just been looking bad because he had a rookie on one side of him (Rachal)and a rather new starter on the other side(Baas). But I have been saying the same thing about him since before either of those guys were starting,so I still believe he is a weak link on the O line.
But I still believe that this O line will be a strong point of the team this year,after they play together for a while .

I pretty much agree on your assessment of Heitmann (though I may think a little higher of him than you do). As far as weakest link, I still gotta stick to RT... for now. I suspect Marvel will work out well at RT, but because we have not seen him in action in a while... well, nuff said. I think Snyder is merely okay at RT, but can't be certain that he has not maxed out at this point.
baas really fits in with what singletary wants his team to be....i remember at the end of his rookie year they started him vs rams and texans and the run game looked really good....

still it may be bit early for both he and niners to talk extension....for baas, he hast really done enough to merit a big staley like contract now, and so why should he extend now? for niners, they need to see more of him to give him a big commitment, and mcoughan doesnt like paying guards mucho dinero.....if he starts and does well, I could see an extension coming around game 10-12
  • TOP_CAT
  • Info N/A
Why does Baas need to extend now? Because if he doesn't then he will be a free agent and we might lose him to another team one minute after midnight on the first day of free agency,like we lost Smiley to Miami. If the team thinks he is the future,then they must try to sign an extention soon.Of course Baas' agent might want him to go to free agency and get a bigger pay day?
  • TOP_CAT
  • Info N/A
Oldman9er: I am more optimistic about Marvel Smith than you seem to be. Ever since I read that they finally found the problem with his back and removed that problem. He says he is as good as new now. IF that is the case then we have ourselves our only Pro Bowl O lineman playing RT !!!
Oldman9er: I am more optimistic about Marvel Smith than you seem to be. Ever since I read that they finally found the problem with his back and removed that problem. He says he is as good as new now. IF that is the case then we have ourselves our only Pro Bowl O lineman playing RT !!!

Maybe so... I do think Marvel will be solid for us. I read that his back has been given proper time to recover this time, so I'm not worried too much there. I really don't see a weakest link, but if forced to pick one, why not the new guy that we have yet to see in action for us?

Heitmann was the Niners best lineman in 2008. The beat writers have explained this numerous times since the end of last season. You really should go back and watch some games, and compare his play with other centers in the league. He is a very good player.