There are 97 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Who thinks David Baas should get new contract?

Originally posted by BigMar:
If Baas has a very good season, and i think he is primed to do so, there will be multiple teams bidding for his service. The 9ers dont have another, young 335 lb bruiser on the roster at guard other than Chilo.

I think the 9ers are asking for trouble upon waiting to extend Baas contract.

By the way.... anyone hear or read any news on Cody Wallace. He is one player that is quiet as a mouse. I hope he bulked up in the off-season at least?

Good points, I agree that the 9ers should make an effort to sign Baas soon. He may not be the greatest lineman, but for the sake of continuity if would be a good idea to extend him for another 5 years or so.

I believe Eric Heitmann recently got an extension, so we're set at center...unless we don't re-sign Baas. Then it becomes a crapshoot. Maybe Heitmann moves over to guard and Wallace takes over at center? There has been no mention of Wallace so far in any reporting on mini-camps or OTA's that I'm aware of. I think he's probably a solid back-up, but starter? You just never know about offensive linemen...it takes some longer to mature.

Final assessment: sign Baas to an extension, draft a right tackle in 2010, and let's go with Staley, Baas, Heitmann, Rachal, and whomever for the next 10 years or so.
Baas took what, like 3 years to break into the starting lineup and has never looked dominant. He's marginally better than Wragge at best.

He'd have to take a huge step forward to justify an extension at this point imo.
Originally posted by MadDog49er:
He's the weak link on the offensive line, and is going to need a stellar year to receive serious attention from the Niners.

In the end, I believe he has less than a 50% chance of being on the team next year.

If I am not mistaken, they extended Wragge an extra year as a security blanket for Baas.
I love how the 9ers are being pro-active signing our young studs like Joe Staley. But why is not massive earth mover David Baas been offered a contract extension. Him and Chilo Rachal are two freak'en beasts on our line![/q

We need to figure out whether or not Baas is going to be healthy.....I would try and lock him up sometime during the season. Right now we need to extend Willis, Gore immediately and possibly Davis, Lawson depending on how they play this year.
McCloughlan didn't extend Smiley, who could pull much better than Baas. Smiley is having a fine career at Miami.
I love how the 9ers are being pro-active signing our young studs like Joe Staley. But why is not massive earth mover David Baas been offered a contract extension. Him and Chilo Rachal are two freak'en beasts on our line!

I say we extend him but not top 5 money.
Originally posted by GEEK:
He's the weak link on the offensive line, and is going to need a stellar year to receive serious attention from the Niners.

In the end, I believe he has less than a 50% chance of being on the team next year.

If I am not mistaken, they extended Wragge an extra year as a security blanket for Baas.

The Niners did extend Wragge. He's just one of those players teams love. All-out hustle, and versatile enough to play any of the three interior positions.

He doesn't have enough athleticism to warrant a starting job, but the guy is tough, and is willing to do anything to play.
I'm with MD on this one. I've never really thought much of Baas and he is the obvious weak-link in our pass protection. He should only be re-signed if he comes cheap.

I'd rather see the team go after a good young center. This would allow us to move Heitmann BACK to guard and it would push Baas back to the bench
Ok they extended a player on offense now it is time to extend a defensive player like Patrick Willis ...... someone who deserves it by virtue of how they have played.

[ Edited by 49ERwhiner on Jun 5, 2009 at 00:07:46 ]

I say 25 % Scott believes he can find a guard to replace him. I don't no what it is but he loves second round guards. We had smiley he drafted baas, and racheal. And said he won't over pay for that spot because he believes there easy to find.
His name is David Bass!
Originally posted by LilMar:
His name is David Bass!

Originally posted by Sactown49er:
Originally posted by susweel:
Originally posted by billybonka:
sign Willis first

what he said

What they said

i don't think they would ever let Willis go. He's our franchise player. He's the freakin icon of our team. He is one of the best defensive players, if not the best, in the league. at least at his position.

We should give him some of that Albert Haynesworth type of money. $100 mill. keep him a 49er till he retires.

For months I have heard you carry on about how average Baas is at best and how stellar Heitmann is. I've read your dissertation about why you feel that way,the long threads with your findings trying to convince others. The problem is that I flat disagree. I watched all the games that I taped and I just cant see your logic in your evaluation of Heitmann and Baas. I think Baas' best playing days are ahead of him and Heitmann has already hit his ceiling. I know how stongly you feel about this subject so i will leave it at that. My eyes just see the tape differently.
jmtc
Originally posted by billybonka:
sign Willis first

X2