There are 183 users in the forums

Frank Gore Thread

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by RonMexico:
Originally posted by DonnieDarko:
Originally posted by DirtyP:
Lol long run stats do not correlate with speed? Are you joking? All that those stats prove is that Frank Gore has more speed than anyone around here is giving him credit for. The top running backs in the NFL had on average 9 runs of 20+ yards. Gore was right there. The fastest running backs in the NFL averaged a season long run of around 50 yards. Frank Gore was right there. I really don't see what is so complicated about that comparison. All that it proves is that Frank Gore's speed is translating to production on the field. Really who cares about anything else? Honestly Frank Gore's consistency has spoiled a lot of 49er fans.

Oh yeah, if you ever want to explain your mysterious field position argument please be my guest

the reason gore can break off a good amount of 20+ yard runs is due to his vision, agility, able to shed tacklers, offensive scheme, etc.

i wouldn't say it's due to frank's BLAZING speed, because no one would buy that. if a defender is chasing him on the way to the endzone he gets caught 9/10 times. it's okay though because he's still a great rb.

this

not all great RBs are fast, gore had ok speed and is slowing down but his other traits still make him a solid back

Wait until LaMicheal James get's rolling, this years rushing attack will be unstoppable if all of these guys can stay healthy. Green Bay and Detroit better hope they can stop the run to start the season
Originally posted by 9erfanAUS:
Which exactly proves the point that longest run statistics has little to no correlation on how fast a RB is. Does it not? Gore is where he should be, other guys like Sproles and McCoy who are regarded as fast runners are lagging in the rankings while others such as Turner and McGahee are near the top.

Lol long run stats do not correlate with speed? Are you joking? All that those stats prove is that Frank Gore has more speed than anyone around here is giving him credit for. The top running backs in the NFL had on average 9 runs of 20+ yards. Gore was right there. The fastest running backs in the NFL averaged a season long run of around 50 yards. Frank Gore was right there. I really don't see what is so complicated about that comparison. All that it proves is that Frank Gore's speed is translating to production on the field. Really who cares about anything else? Honestly Frank Gore's consistency has spoiled a lot of 49er fans.

Oh yeah, if you ever want to explain your mysterious field position argument please be my guest

This is the last I'm going to write on this subject.

No, I'm not joking. Long runs have minimal correlation with speed. They are moreso due to vision, agility, tackle evading ability, o-line blocking etc. especially in a running back who has the running style of Gore. How often are you going to have the situation where you have a clear straight-ahead path to daylight? Very rarely. Sure speed helps, but at least in my opinion, it's by far the least necessary skillset.

Using longest run statistics to show that Gore is has premier speed, which is the primary evidence of your argument is also flawed. I explained why before but I'll repeat again. You're using the fact that Gore's longest run is at pace with the supposed fastest in the league (Peterson, Sproles, Johnson etc.) to support the claim that Gore is as fast as them. The fastest running backs in the league averaged ~50 yards as their longest run which was good for approximately 19th out of all running backs. Again what does that tell you? It clearly shows that it's a tenuous statistic from which to draw a conclusion of a running back's speed. Moreover, Frank Gore clearly does not belong in the same class of speed as Peterson or Johnson, which only further proves the point that the statistic is flawed.

Frank Gore is known as a "power back" around the league for a good reason. His speed is average and too often a DB is able to close onto him from behind. His long runs are primarily due to his vision and power rather than pure speed. This also also been suggested by several poster here as well. If you want to show that Gore has above average speed, then please use some other metric rather than longest runs. I have already showed how it is flawed.

As for my field position argument, on closer thought I acknowledged that it was a weak premise which is why I decided not to further elaborate.
Which exactly proves the point that longest run statistics has little to no correlation on how fast a RB is. Does it not? Gore is where he should be, other guys like Sproles and McCoy who are regarded as fast runners are lagging in the rankings while others such as Turner and McGahee are near the top.

This is the last I'm going to write on this subject.

No, I'm not joking. Long runs have minimal correlation with speed. They are moreso due to vision, agility, tackle evading ability, o-line blocking etc. especially in a running back who has the running style of Gore. How often are you going to have the situation where you have a clear straight-ahead path to daylight? Very rarely. Sure speed helps, but at least in my opinion, it's by far the least necessary skillset.

Using longest run statistics to show that Gore is has premier speed, which is the primary evidence of your argument is also flawed. I explained why before but I'll repeat again. You're using the fact that Gore's longest run is at pace with the supposed fastest in the league (Peterson, Sproles, Johnson etc.) to support the claim that Gore is as fast as them. The fastest running backs in the league averaged ~50 yards as their longest run which was good for approximately 19th out of all running backs. Again what does that tell you? It clearly shows that it's a tenuous statistic from which to draw a conclusion of a running back's speed. Moreover, Frank Gore clearly does not belong in the same class of speed as Peterson or Johnson, which only further proves the point that the statistic is flawed.

Frank Gore is known as a "power back" around the league for a good reason. His speed is average and too often a DB is able to close onto him from behind. His long runs are primarily due to his vision and power rather than pure speed. This also also been suggested by several poster here as well. If you want to show that Gore has above average speed, then please use some other metric rather than longest runs. I have already showed how it is flawed.

As for my field position argument, on closer thought I acknowledged that it was a weak premise which is why I decided not to further elaborate.

I think it's common sense that speed is not Frank's strong suit and never was. It's the vision, anticipation and initial quickness to the 2nd level of defense that is what makes him great.

Anyone trying to say that speed is his game is flat out wrong. He has enough speed to do what he needs, but we all know Frank isn't a burner.

The bottom line is that keeping him fresh throughout the season will do us wonders when it comes time for playoff football. Furthermore, we have speedy backs in Hunter and James. Jacobs and Gore are the power complements to those backs.
speed is probablly least important for a great RB

1. quickmess
2. vision
3. power (can he breat tackles)
4. break away speed

so what if gore doesnt have speed he has (at least imo) 3 most importsnt things to make a great RB

speed is flashy but not what you look for in feature back its what you look for in RB who you want to throw screens and dump off passes to
Originally posted by 49ersalldaway126:
speed is probablly least important for a great RB

1. quickmess
2. vision
3. power (can he breat tackles)
4. break away speed

so what if gore doesnt have speed he has (at least imo) 3 most importsnt things to make a great RB

speed is flashy but not what you look for in feature back its what you look for in RB who you want to throw screens and dump off passes to

You also want to look for health. Last yer, Gore had that hip fracture and did appear less quick starting 2011 as compared to how he looked starting 2010 when he looked very quick and built. I think having avoid an injury to any major areas was key. Yes, he hurt that ankle but that's not going to be anything long term.

Have a feeling he will be very fresh his year and will run hard more often considering that he will probably get more breathers.

I also think he is no longer our 3rd down back. Hunter will get that role do to him now knowing the blocking assignments and LMJ will be sprinkled in. Jacobs will be the 3rd down power back.

Gore will be vey fresh and he will pick up the role of the anchor as we near the playoffs.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Joecool:
You also want to look for health. Last yer, Gore had that hip fracture and did appear less quick starting 2011 as compared to how he looked starting 2010 when he looked very quick and built. I think having avoid an injury to any major areas was key. Yes, he hurt that ankle but that's not going to be anything long term.

Have a feeling he will be very fresh his year and will run hard more often considering that he will probably get more breathers.

I also think he is no longer our 3rd down back. Hunter will get that role do to him now knowing the blocking assignments and LMJ will be sprinkled in. Jacobs will be the 3rd down power back.

Gore will be vey fresh and he will pick up the role of the anchor as we near the playoffs.
i was hoping he would be fresh last year with hunter around but he lost a little pop at the end of the year and as you said, probably cuz he tweaked that ankle. the big thing is to try to keep him on the bench. when he does not get to play, he does have a fit! i hope he understands its ok to take a break and i hope the coaches can convince him of that as well.... that being said, i sure wish he had not taken a break when we needed those third and one pickups vs the giants
Originally posted by cciowa:
i was hoping he would be fresh last year with hunter around but he lost a little pop at the end of the year and as you said, probably cuz he tweaked that ankle. the big thing is to try to keep him on the bench. when he does not get to play, he does have a fit! i hope he understands its ok to take a break and i hope the coaches can convince him of that as well.... that being said, i sure wish he had not taken a break when we needed those third and one pickups vs the giants

Frank doesn't like to come out! That's because he's straight up BOSS! If the extra rest this season helps and he's healthy going into the playoffs he'll dominate! He's going to beast next year anyway. I don't care what anyone says. He hasn't lost a step. A half step if anything.

If the line can continue to gel and start opening up some bigger holes you're going to see Frank destroy some fools next year. Half of Franks runs are through tiny azz creases and he has to be so patient waiting for them to open that he often has to make something out of nothing. Our line wasn't playing well last season until midseason, we had no WR's, our offense was completely one dimensional and Frank still tore up 8 and 9 man boxes all season! Wouldn't surprise me to see Frank put up 1200 next season on fewer carries.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by NinerG94:
Frank doesn't like to come out! That's because he's straight up BOSS! If the extra rest this season helps and he's healthy going into the playoffs he'll dominate! He's going to beast next year anyway. I don't care what anyone says. He hasn't lost a step. A half step if anything.

If the line can continue to gel and start opening up some bigger holes you're going to see Frank destroy some fools next year. Half of Franks runs are through tiny azz creases and he has to be so patient waiting for them to open that he often has to make something out of nothing. Our line wasn't playing well last season until midseason, we had no WR's, our offense was completely one dimensional and Frank still tore up 8 and 9 man boxes all season! Wouldn't surprise me to see Frank put up 1200 next season on fewer carries.
part of me would like to see him set out the entire pre season of games but i know that will not happen. even guys like him have to get some carries to shake off the rust but i really hope and trust he will be really limited. i am hoping with people like moss in there teams can not put the safety to the line of scrimmage to take away the run. should be a plus for our running game
16 attempts 112 yards 1 TD.

Too bad he is slow and over the hill.
too old, too slow, too beat up, too small...Moonwalks into endzone. even if gire, discount double check that b***h! Frank Gore

Originally posted by BrianGO:
16 attempts 112 yards 1 TD.

Too bad he is slow and over the hill.

This. But but he's too old and slow and can't break tackles anymore! I hate to say it but he's done!
Originally posted by hondakillerzx:
too old, too slow, too beat up, too small...Moonwalks into endzone. even if gire, discount double check that b***h! Frank Gore

Lol. He is so slow that he gave up running forward and decided to see if running backwards could get him into the endzone. It worked.
Gore looked great.....and so did Hunter.

#happy
Originally posted by BrianGO:
Originally posted by hondakillerzx:

Lol. He is so slow that he gave up running forward and decided to see if running backwards could get him into the endzone. It worked.
lol ya that mustve been it, and that cheapass defender put a big hit on him when he was standing in the endzone with his back to him. the leage should look at that s**t, theyre tryin to hurt our old man!!!
backfeild looks scary good.
Share 49ersWebzone