There are 120 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Frank Gore Thread

Originally posted by DirtyP:
Originally posted by Oakland-Niner:


MJD = little dude - very fast

Rice = little dude - very fast

Sproles = little dude - very fast


Its his vision that gets him those initial yards, but its his speed that prevents him from taking it to the house. If dude didn't injure his knees early, we would probably be talking about him as a first ballot HOFer.

MJD's longest run was only 1 yard longer (and not a touchdown) than Gores longest run. Lesean McCoy's longest run was only 5 yards longer than Gores. Chris Johsons longest run was SHORTER than Gores longest run. CJ spiller and Darren Sproles' longest runs were shorter than Gores longest run. Same goes for Arian Foster. None of those guys longest run of 2011 were touchdowns. Does this mean that those guys don't have any speed either?

Frank Gore's lack of 4.4 speed truly gets a lot of attention from his own fan base. There is absolutely no shame in getting caught from behind by a defensive back that runs a 4.3 when you've already run 40 yards downfield with the football.

Agree.

Whining about Gore's speed puts a lot of the Alex Smith whining in perspective!!!

Waiting to hear complaints about Willis.
Originally posted by DirtyP:
Originally posted by Oakland-Niner:


MJD = little dude - very fast

Rice = little dude - very fast

Sproles = little dude - very fast


Its his vision that gets him those initial yards, but its his speed that prevents him from taking it to the house. If dude didn't injure his knees early, we would probably be talking about him as a first ballot HOFer.

MJD's longest run was only 1 yard longer (and not a touchdown) than Gores longest run. Lesean McCoy's longest run was only 5 yards longer than Gores. Chris Johsons longest run was SHORTER than Gores longest run. CJ spiller and Darren Sproles' longest runs were shorter than Gores longest run. Same goes for Arian Foster and Adrian Peterson. None of those guys longest run of 2011 were touchdowns. Gore also had more long runs than all of these guys accept McCoy. Does this mean that those guys don't have any speed either?

Frank Gore's lack of 4.4 speed truly gets a lot of attention from his own fan base. There is absolutely no shame in getting caught from behind by a defensive back that runs a 4.3 when you've already run 40 yards downfield with the football.

The main flaw in your reasoning is that you're not considering the field position from where the run began.
Originally posted by 9erfanAUS:
The main flaw in your reasoning is that you're not considering the field position from where the run began.

Thats called grabbing at straws. Please attempt to make that make sense
[ Edited by DirtyP on Jul 22, 2012 at 1:20 PM ]
Originally posted by DirtyP:
Originally posted by 9erfanAUS:
The main flaw in your reasoning is that you're not considering the field position from where the run began.

Thats called grabbing at straws. Please attempt to make that make sense

It's very simple mate. For all the examples that you cited, Gore's longest run ranked 19th in the league last season. What does that tell ya or do you need me to further expand?
[ Edited by 9erfanAUS on Jul 22, 2012 at 1:25 PM ]
Originally posted by JTsBiggestFan:
Originally posted by DirtyP:
Originally posted by Oakland-Niner:


MJD = little dude - very fast

Rice = little dude - very fast

Sproles = little dude - very fast


Its his vision that gets him those initial yards, but its his speed that prevents him from taking it to the house. If dude didn't injure his knees early, we would probably be talking about him as a first ballot HOFer.

MJD's longest run was only 1 yard longer (and not a touchdown) than Gores longest run. Lesean McCoy's longest run was only 5 yards longer than Gores. Chris Johsons longest run was SHORTER than Gores longest run. CJ spiller and Darren Sproles' longest runs were shorter than Gores longest run. Same goes for Arian Foster. None of those guys longest run of 2011 were touchdowns. Does this mean that those guys don't have any speed either?

Frank Gore's lack of 4.4 speed truly gets a lot of attention from his own fan base. There is absolutely no shame in getting caught from behind by a defensive back that runs a 4.3 when you've already run 40 yards downfield with the football.

Agree.

Whining about Gore's speed puts a lot of the Alex Smith whining in perspective!!!

Waiting to hear complaints about Willis.

Willis is too fast. Gets to the ball to quick. Hits the ballcarrier to hard.
Originally posted by 9erfanAUS:
It's very simple mate. For all the examples that you cited, Gore's longest run ranked 19th in the league last season. What does that tell ya or do you need me to further expand?

I just showed you practically every elite runner and how their longest runs were not only shorter than Gores, they had less of them and none of them had touchdown runs over 55 yards (Gores longest run of the year).

You want to show me a few players like Willis McGahee and Micheal Turner that had longer single runs last year, thats great. Meanwhile I show you guys like Chris Johnson, Adrian Peterson, Lesean McCoy, MJD, and Darren Sproles - all regarded as among the fastest at their position- that all had LESS runs of over 20 yards and only ONE OF THEM had a single run more than 5 yards longer than Gore's longest run of the year . Which example do you think holds more weight? Field position doesn't matter to me much in this debate because as I said, none of those elite runners had a touchdown run of over 55 yards.

As I originally stated, I am not arguing Gore has elite straight line speed. I am merely saying that it is ridiculous to say the guy has "no speed".
[ Edited by DirtyP on Jul 22, 2012 at 3:25 PM ]
Originally posted by 9erfanAUS:
Originally posted by DirtyP:
Originally posted by 9erfanAUS:
The main flaw in your reasoning is that you're not considering the field position from where the run began.

Thats called grabbing at straws. Please attempt to make that make sense

It's very simple mate. For all the examples that you cited, Gore's longest run ranked 19th in the league last season. What does that tell ya or do you need me to further expand?

I would argue that Gore's long runs are a result of his vision and anticipation. As your research shows, thats probably more important than pure speed (CJ). I certainly can't prove it, but I'd guess that if the guys you mentioned had the vision and anticipation of Gore, they would have a lot of long TD runs. I've just never seen a RB get caught from behind as much as Gore. Thats all I know and thats about as far as I'm willing to take it at this time.


Edit: look at it this way, Gore makes his money when guys are in front of him, not behind him.
[ Edited by Oakland-Niner on Jul 22, 2012 at 4:00 PM ]
Originally posted by DirtyP:
Originally posted by 9erfanAUS:
It's very simple mate. For all the examples that you cited, Gore's longest run ranked 19th in the league last season. What does that tell ya or do you need me to further expand?

I just showed you practically every elite runner and how their longest runs were not only shorter than Gores, they had less of them and none of them had touchdown runs over 55 yards (Gores longest run of the year).

You want to show me a few players like Willis McGahee and Micheal Turner that had longer single runs last year, thats great. Meanwhile I show you guys like Chris Johnson, Adrian Peterson, Lesean McCoy, MJD, and Darren Sproles - all regarded as among the fastest at their position- that all had LESS runs of over 20 yards and only ONE OF THEM had a single run more than 5 yards longer than Gore's longest run of the year . Which example do you think holds more weight? Field position doesn't matter to me much in this debate because as I said, none of those elite runners had a touchdown run of over 55 yards.

As I originally stated, I am not arguing Gore has elite straight line speed. I am merely saying that it is ridiculous to say the guy has "no speed".

Yeah i saw him running away from plenty of outside linebackers and some safeties. You don't get 1200+ yards with no speed.
Originally posted by DirtyP:
Originally posted by 9erfanAUS:
It's very simple mate. For all the examples that you cited, Gore's longest run ranked 19th in the league last season. What does that tell ya or do you need me to further expand?

I just showed you practically every elite runner and how their longest runs were not only shorter than Gores, they had less of them and none of them had touchdown runs over 55 yards (Gores longest run of the year).

You want to show me a few players like Willis McGahee and Micheal Turner that had longer single runs last year, thats great. Meanwhile I show you guys like Chris Johnson, Adrian Peterson, Lesean McCoy, MJD, and Darren Sproles - all regarded as among the fastest at their position- that all had LESS runs of over 20 yards and only ONE OF THEM had a single run more than 5 yards longer than Gore's longest run of the year . Which example do you think holds more weight? Field position doesn't matter to me much in this debate because as I said, none of those elite runners had a touchdown run of over 55 yards.

As I originally stated, I am not arguing Gore has elite straight line speed. I am merely saying that it is ridiculous to say the guy has "no speed".

Which exactly proves the point that longest run statistics has little to no correlation on how fast a RB is. Does it not? Gore is where he should be, other guys like Sproles and McCoy who are regarded as fast runners are lagging in the rankings while others such as Turner and McGahee are near the top.
[ Edited by 9erfanAUS on Jul 22, 2012 at 4:23 PM ]
Man, I can't believe we are arguing about our own guy.

Tick, tock, tick tock to September 9th...
BTW, both sides have legitimate arguments....

Bottom line is Gore is still a very good, functional RB....a la Jerry Rice in the early TO years. Lost a step but still very, very good.
Originally posted by 9erfanAUS:
Which exactly proves the point that longest run statistics has little to no correlation on how fast a RB is. Does it not? Gore is where he should be, other guys like Sproles and McCoy who are regarded as fast runners are lagging in the rankings while others such as Turner and McGahee are near the top.

Lol long run stats do not correlate with speed? Are you joking? All that those stats prove is that Frank Gore has more speed than anyone around here is giving him credit for. The top running backs in the NFL had on average 9 runs of 20+ yards. Gore was right there. The fastest running backs in the NFL averaged a season long run of around 50 yards. Frank Gore was right there. I really don't see what is so complicated about that comparison. All that it proves is that Frank Gore's speed is translating to production on the field. Really who cares about anything else? Honestly Frank Gore's consistency has spoiled a lot of 49er fans.

Oh yeah, if you ever want to explain your mysterious field position argument please be my guest
[ Edited by DirtyP on Jul 22, 2012 at 5:39 PM ]
Originally posted by DirtyP:
Lol long run stats do not correlate with speed? Are you joking? All that those stats prove is that Frank Gore has more speed than anyone around here is giving him credit for. The top running backs in the NFL had on average 9 runs of 20+ yards. Gore was right there. The fastest running backs in the NFL averaged a season long run of around 50 yards. Frank Gore was right there. I really don't see what is so complicated about that comparison. All that it proves is that Frank Gore's speed is translating to production on the field. Really who cares about anything else? Honestly Frank Gore's consistency has spoiled a lot of 49er fans.

Oh yeah, if you ever want to explain your mysterious field position argument please be my guest

the reason gore can break off a good amount of 20+ yard runs is due to his vision, agility, able to shed tacklers, offensive scheme, etc.

i wouldn't say it's due to frank's BLAZING speed, because no one would buy that. if a defender is chasing him on the way to the endzone he gets caught 9/10 times. it's okay though because he's still a great rb.
Originally posted by StOnEy333:

great pic. I didn't hate those uni's as much as some did, but boy am I glad we got the classic duds back.
Search Podcast Draft Forum Commentary News Shop Home