There are 222 users in the forums

Frank Gore Thread

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by DonnieDarko:
i could name all 18 players that had longer runs than gore, i could tell you that 11 of them all scored, but see that's not my point. the actual video i posted of him getting CAUGHT from behind is my point. In '09 against SEA he had 2 80 TD runs, he clearly doesn't have the breakaway speed he did back then.

Chris Johnsons longest run of the season was not as long as Gores and he is the fastest running back in the NFL so naming each of those players would be meaningless. And while they had longer individual runs than gore, they did not have more long runs. Seems to me that would say that Frank Gore has perfectly adequate speed, just not elite. You stated he had "0 breakaway speed". Hell in 09 even when he broke the two 80 yard runs people were questioning his speed, Im sure you were probably one of them. Well the fact is breaking an 80 yard run is a pretty rare play even for a guy with speed. I think he is just now as fast as he was in 09, if not then maybe just a hair slower.
[ Edited by DirtyP on Jul 19, 2012 at 5:17 PM ]
Member Milestone: This is post number 600 for BayArea.
Originally posted by DirtyP:
They had longer individual runs than gore, yet not more long runs. Seems to me that would say that Frank Gore has perfectly adequate speed, just not elite. You stated he had "0 breakaway speed". Hell in 09 even when he broke the two 80 yard runs people were questioning his speed, Im sure you were probably one of them. Well the fact is breaking an 80 yard run is a pretty rare play even for a guy with speed. I think he is just now as fast as he was in 09, if not then maybe just a hair slower.

Gore is pretty fast he just has a very short stride and short legs. Most of the time when I saw him run down by a defender it was because they beat his strides not really with speed. Don't know why I pointed that out lol....bored.
[ Edited by BayArea on Jul 19, 2012 at 5:15 PM ]
i could name all 18 players that had longer runs than gore, i could tell you that 11 of them all scored, but see that's not my point. the actual video i posted of him getting CAUGHT from behind is my point. In '09 against SEA he had 2 80 TD runs, he clearly doesn't have the breakaway speed he did back then.

Chris Johnsons longest run of the season was not as long as Gores and he is the fastest running back in the NFL so naming each of those players would be meaningless. And while they had longer individual runs than gore, they did not have more long runs. Seems to me that would say that Frank Gore has perfectly adequate speed, just not elite. You stated he had "0 breakaway speed". Hell in 09 even when he broke the two 80 yard runs people were questioning his speed, Im sure you were probably one of them. Well the fact is breaking an 80 yard run is a pretty rare play even for a guy with speed. I think he is just now as fast as he was in 09, if not then maybe just a hair slower.

he's still a beast but sorry, he has no breakaway speed, gets caught from behind all the time
"0 break away speed"? Do you realize that the guy had 11 rushes of 20+ yards? Thats good for 3rd in the entire NFL. He also had the 4th most rushes of 40+ yards. These stats don't even take into account the 47 yard run he had against the saints in the playoffs.

http://www.nfl.com/stats/categorystats?seasonType=REG&d-447263-n=1&d-447263-o=2&d-447263-p=1&d-447263-s=RUSHING_40PLUS_YARDS_EACH&tabSeq=0&season=2011&Submit=Go&experience=null&archive=false&statisticCategory=RUSHING&conference=null&qualified=true

LOL the 47 yard run where he got caught from behind? exactly my point..im not saying he cant break a long run, i meant he gets caught from behind a lot where as in his younger days he woulda taken it to the house.

Gets caught from behind @ 6:49 7:40 8:07 8:26

He broke one decent long run @ 10:40 against the Cards..he's still a beast though

It's no seceret. Gore's game is vision and will power. Dude is not that big and not that fast, but he's got increadible anticipation and sees the play before it happens, like Staley said. How will his game change as he gets older? I have no idea.I assume he'll be good for some 5 and 10 yards pops more than the average running back, which is great. But I have noticed a reduction in speed and ability to break tackles if not outright fall to the ground.
he's still a beast but sorry, he has no breakaway speed, gets caught from behind all the time

doesn't really matter though, I'd rather have a guy that consistently gets 4-6 yards than a guy who most of the time gets tackled for a minimal gain but once in a while pops a long one

Holy s**t, that video is awesome! And to think that's all only from 1 season.
Originally posted by niners420:

doesn't really matter though, I'd rather have a guy that consistently gets 4-6 yards than a guy who most of the time gets tackled for a minimal gain but once in a while pops a long one

yeah like i said he's a beast, still super productive.
Yeah I love Gore but the truth is, once he gets 20-25 yards away from the line of scrimmage he loses almost all of his speed now. He still makes amazing plays and he has the heart of a champ (except in the early games last season, he played weak ) but he is getting old and we need to start bringing in the young blood.

Love Gore. Have his jersey and hell, even my Smith jersey has Gore on it (has 21 on the sleeve because of a factory mishap, still love it), but he isn't going to be around for much longer. I just hope we can get a Superbowl or two for him so he can get into the HOF.
HOF bound!
gore is plenty fast, i just think he runs out of gas or the dbs who usually catch him are taller, longer legged dudes with longer strides. in long distances leg length makes a huge difference and gores just a little dude. gore wouldnt be breaking off huge chunks every year if he wasnt fast

Originally posted by hondakillerzx:
gore is plenty fast, i just think he runs out of gas or the dbs who usually catch him are taller, longer legged dudes with longer strides. in long distances leg length makes a huge difference and gores just a little dude. gore wouldnt be breaking off huge chunks every year if he wasnt fast

MJD = little dude - very fast

Rice = little dude - very fast

Sproles = little dude - very fast

Its his vision that gets him those initial yards, but its his speed that prevents him from taking it to the house. If dude didn't injure his knees early, we would probably be talking about him as a first ballot HOFer.
Originally posted by Oakland-Niner:

Its his vision that gets him those initial yards, but its his speed that prevents him from taking it to the house. If dude didn't injure his knees early, we would probably be talking about him as a first ballot HOFer.

If Gore didn't injure his knees, he probably wouldn't have been able to even draft him.
[ Edited by 9erfanAUS on Jul 22, 2012 at 11:01 AM ]
Originally posted by 9erfanAUS:

If Gore didn't injure his knees, he probably wouldn't have been able to even draft him.

Sure we would have. The difference is, instead of choosing number 11, we pick 21.... Who knows, mayb we grab Alex in the 2nd instead of Baas....

MJD's longest run was only 1 yard longer (and not a touchdown) than Gores longest run. Lesean McCoy's longest run was only 5 yards longer than Gores. Chris Johsons longest run was SHORTER than Gores longest run. CJ spiller and Darren Sproles' longest runs were shorter than Gores longest run. Same goes for Arian Foster and Adrian Peterson. None of those guys longest run of 2011 were touchdowns. Gore also had more long runs than all of these guys accept McCoy. Does this mean that those guys don't have any speed either?

Frank Gore's lack of 4.4 speed truly gets a lot of attention from his own fan base. There is absolutely no shame in getting caught from behind by a defensive back that runs a 4.3 when you've already run 40 yards downfield with the football.
[ Edited by DirtyP on Jul 22, 2012 at 1:10 PM ]

MJD's longest run was only 1 yard longer (and not a touchdown) than Gores longest run. Lesean McCoy's longest run was only 5 yards longer than Gores. Chris Johsons longest run was SHORTER than Gores longest run. CJ spiller and Darren Sproles' longest runs were shorter than Gores longest run. Same goes for Arian Foster. None of those guys longest run of 2011 were touchdowns. Does this mean that those guys don't have any speed either?

Frank Gore's lack of 4.4 speed truly gets a lot of attention from his own fan base. There is absolutely no shame in getting caught from behind by a defensive back that runs a 4.3 when you've already run 40 yards downfield with the football.

Agree.

Whining about Gore's speed puts a lot of the Alex Smith whining in perspective!!!

Waiting to hear complaints about Willis.
Share 49ersWebzone