LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 329 users in the forums

Earth...Wind...Fire

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • nekst
  • Info N/A
I can't believe people are already thinking of nicknames when two of the players haven't even played a preseason game.
The giants used that, there a rival of us right? ( didn't they beat us a few games in the playoffs back in the eighties? ). Why would we copy there slogan?
Originally posted by 49erRider:
Originally posted by WillistheWall:
Originally posted by 49erRider:
Originally posted by Thizz415:
I don't think Clayton makes the team. If anything Fire would be MR since he never wants to go down and has some nice moves that get him some extra yards.

What have you been watching? For as big and "powerful" as Robinson is, he goes down far too easily. People seem hung up on the college video of him running thru (and knocking out) a defender and the one time he plowed into Dawkins. Other than those two plays, he's looked weak trying to run thru people. LOL @ extra yards. If that were true he would be our short-yardage back. He failed at that. People need to take their homer goggles off when it comes to this guy.

Yea if he was a short yardage guy we probably woulda won that AZ game on MNF. He could still be useful as a wildcat QB though, he's actually a good receiver out of the backfield, and he's a good blocker on special teams.

I'd take Clayton over MRob as a RB though.

Everyone thinks he can be useful as a QB in the wildcat (which teams will soon SHUT DOWN because it is a gimmick offense), but he's looked absolutely AWFUL every time he's attempted it. He's simply not a running threat, and you NEED TO BE a running threat for that formation to work. DBs need to want to leave coverage to stop you from gaining big yards on the ground in order for the receivers to benefit and be left open for the runner to throw it to them. OR, you need to be able to take off and run if they don't come off their coverage and hurt them on the ground, which Robinson has already proven he cannot do. Since Robinson cannot achieve those objectives, it won't (and hasn't) work(ed). He's a decent receiver out of the backfield (which is not hard to do) and he is a decent blocker, but he is not good enough at either assignment to be irreplaceable. He can be replaced easily by somebody who can do those assignments AND run the ball. He's a good special teams player, but every team has their special teams aces and they aren't very tough to come by. Again, he can be easily replaced.

I don't mean to bash Robinson, but I'm tired of underachieving guys like him and Battle on the team. We're trying to get better, not stay mediocre. Battle gets WAY too much credit for what he has done in the past, which, by the way, is mediocrity at it's finest. The guy is not "clutch," he doesn't have "great hands" and just because he's been the most productive receiver out of a bunch of crappy receivers over the years means NOTHING. The only thing he does well is block downfield, which is good, but it is not something that cannot be replaced.

Keeping guys like them around is a sign of us accepting mediocrity, and in Robinson's case, he's not even good enough to be considered a mediocre RB.

speak the truth to these fools
Why are we stealing nicknames from other teams? We need to be original. Come on. Earth, Wind, and Fire? Snap, Crackle, and Pop? We need something new. I posted this in another thread about Glen Coffee but what about......
the military
Gore - Marines.....first one in, one the does the most damage
Coffee - Army......grunt work, goes to war, doesnt complain
Sheets - Navy......he's smooth as water, when he goes to battle to battle its quick, and we hit em when the opposition isnt excepting it.

Crabtree - Air Force....he's a force when the balls in the air.

And the rest of the Offense is known as The Reserves. lol.
Coach Sing can be known as The General
[ Edited by Travisty13 on May 10, 2009 at 5:27 PM ]
Originally posted by NinerPrideinNJ:
ummmm.... How about no? This is terrible.

i agree...

Gore is our only good RB. "Earth, Wind, Fire" is a joke. if people outside this fanbase heard we were calling any of Michael Robinson, Glen Coffee, or Kory Sheets part of a "earth, wind, and fire" combo, theyd laugh hysterically.

you guys realize Robinson is a horrible RB, and is on the team for his ST abilities, and that both Sheets and Coffee could potentially not even make the team if they do poorly this summer, right?

the zone makes me sometimes...
If you want to go with old school bands . . . then Blood, Sweat and Tears! YOU FIGURE OUT WHO SHOULD BE WHO. I think Coffee is blood because he likes to run over people, Gore is sweat because he works so hard and sheets is tears because the db's are crying beause they can't catch him in the open.
Originally posted by Niners99:

i agree...

Gore is our only good RB. "Earth, Wind, Fire" is a joke. if people outside this fanbase heard we were calling any of Michael Robinson, Glen Coffee, or Kory Sheets part of a "earth, wind, and fire" combo, theyd laugh hysterically.

you guys realize Robinson is a horrible RB, and is on the team for his ST abilities, and that both Sheets and Coffee could potentially not even make the team if they do poorly this summer, right?

Niner99 are you an undercover Raiders fan? If you dont like us talking about our potential 3 Headed RB monster, then stop reading the threads. In 2 different threads i've read you being negative and complaining about us talking about our RBs. I dont care how many posts you have or your "respect" level. you just seem like a negative dude. grab a beer, relax, and just wait for the season. stop getting all stressed out cuz we have nothing else to talk about right now besides nicknames.
If Robinson really is 6'1'' then the niners should have him put on 15-20 lbs of muscle
over the next 2 years and convert him to FB. He has the heart and desire not to mention he loves to put defensive players on their a$$es. Norris will be too old at that point and MRob will have a starting position.
Originally posted by smashmouth51:
If Robinson really is 6'1'' then the niners should have him put on 15-20 lbs of muscle
over the next 2 years and convert him to FB. He has the heart and desire not to mention he loves to put defensive players on their a$$es. Norris will be too old at that point and MRob will have a starting position.

Excellent idea, in my opinion. He's at 228 right now. Add even another 10 pounds of muscle and he's a viable FB size, and wouldn't lose a step or any of his versatility. With his "knock you out" style of play, he could be great at FB. IMHO.
Originally posted by Travisty13:

i agree...

Niner99 are you an undercover Raiders fan? If you dont like us talking about our potential 3 Headed RB monster, then stop reading the threads. In 2 different threads i've read you being negative and complaining about us talking about our RBs. I dont care how many posts you have or your "respect" level. you just seem like a negative dude. grab a beer, relax, and just wait for the season. stop getting all stressed out cuz we have nothing else to talk about right now besides nicknames.

yeah, im an undercover Raiders fan with nearly 4,000 posts on a 49ers message board...

i just like to be realistic. if you guys were joking around about the "earth, wind, fire" thing, itd be totally fine. but the fact that people are seriously thinking our 2 new backup RB's are going to come out performing like Derrick Ward and Ahmad Bradshaw is a little too far fetched for me.

i dont mean to be negative, but when you become too positive, you just get your hopes up for alot of letdowns. you have to be a positive realist. be positive when its due.

i agree...

yeah, im an undercover Raiders fan with nearly 4,000 posts on a 49ers message board...

i just like to be realistic. if you guys were joking around about the "earth, wind, fire" thing, itd be totally fine. but the fact that people are seriously thinking our 2 new backup RB's are going to come out performing like Derrick Ward and Ahmad Bradshaw is a little too far fetched for me.

i dont mean to be negative, but when you become too positive, you just get your hopes up for alot of letdowns. you have to be a positive realist. be positive when its due.

it is fine to be realistic, but if you don't like the post don't respond.....if people are bored and want to dream about having a beast 3 headed monster running attack let them....you posting things saying how dumb it is and that they shouldn't post things like that is uncool.....and as far as people getting there hopes up for a lot of letdowns...just let them go....we are all people who have the right to dream what ever we like.....if i want to think that the niners will win the super bowl and Alex Smith will be the NFL MVP this season then let me dream.

its fine if you are not optimistic....but that doesn't mean you have to smash other peoples hopes on this board....and i have yet to see a positive post by you...i don't think you are a realist...i think your a pessimist.....

But seeing as you are a fellow 49er fan...i say grab drink, chill, and enjoy the ride that is NFL Football
Hate
Kill
Destroy
Originally posted by 49ers18:

i agree...

it is fine to be realistic, but if you don't like the post don't respond.....if people are bored and want to dream about having a beast 3 headed monster running attack let them....you posting things saying how dumb it is and that they shouldn't post things like that is uncool.....and as far as people getting there hopes up for a lot of letdowns...just let them go....we are all people who have the right to dream what ever we like.....if i want to think that the niners will win the super bowl and Alex Smith will be the NFL MVP this season then let me dream.

its fine if you are not optimistic....but that doesn't mean you have to smash other peoples hopes on this board....and i have yet to see a positive post by you...i don't think you are a realist...i think your a pessimist.....

But seeing as you are a fellow 49er fan...i say grab drink, chill, and enjoy the ride that is NFL Football

im not the only one. ask the entire Veteran board about what they think of people making pointless apple pie in the sky threads.

im not a pessimist, ive just learned not to be a homer. 6 years of losing will help do that. i have great hopes for the Niners this year. i think we could win 9-10 games, i think were heading in the right direction, i think we could win the NFC West, i think Gore, Willis, Clements, Justin Smith, etc are among the best in the NFL at their positions.

i think our pass rush will be fine how it is, despite how many people say its our weakest link. i think Shaun Hill is good enough to run this team in the present, and i think Alex Smith still has potential. i think Morgan/Hill/Crabtree will be one of the better WR trios in the NFL in the next few seasons, and i think with the right coaching, VD can finally be a playmaker.

our D as a whole is only going to get better, and will end up being top 10 if not this season than next. we also have one of the best ST units in all of football.

still sound like im a pessimist? pardon me for being annoyed at a thread anointing Glen Coffee and UDFA Kory Sheets as part of a dangerous NFL trio. when they crash and bust i just dont want to hear the same people crying about it.

i agree...

im not the only one. ask the entire Veteran board about what they think of people making pointless apple pie in the sky threads.

im not a pessimist, ive just learned not to be a homer. 6 years of losing will help do that. i have great hopes for the Niners this year. i think we could win 9-10 games, i think were heading in the right direction, i think we could win the NFC West, i think Gore, Willis, Clements, Justin Smith, etc are among the best in the NFL at their positions.

i think our pass rush will be fine how it is, despite how many people say its our weakest link. i think Shaun Hill is good enough to run this team in the present, and i think Alex Smith still has potential. i think Morgan/Hill/Crabtree will be one of the better WR trios in the NFL in the next few seasons, and i think with the right coaching, VD can finally be a playmaker.

our D as a whole is only going to get better, and will end up being top 10 if not this season than next. we also have one of the best ST units in all of football.

still sound like im a pessimist? pardon me for being annoyed at a thread anointing Glen Coffee and UDFA Kory Sheets as part of a dangerous NFL trio. when they crash and bust i just dont want to hear the same people crying about it.

alright...you prove you are not a pessimist.....and i agree with you on that whole post except the part about getting annoyed...if you don't like what they are saying just don't read it anymore and ignore it

i agree...

alright...you prove you are not a pessimist.....and i agree with you on that whole post except the part about getting annoyed...if you don't like what they are saying just don't read it anymore and ignore it

fair enough. its just hard for me to see a thread title like this, enter to see how bad it is, and not respond without a smart remark. especially when people got on my case for the idea that Alex Smith didnt get a fair shot, which is far less ridiculous an idea than stuff like this.
Share 49ersWebzone