LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 250 users in the forums

Earth...Wind...Fire

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • SmithGore
  • Info N/A
Originally posted by ASHYLARRY51:
earth wind and fire indeed...we got our RB's now and we should have the personnel to run anytime...hopefully this new RB's don't fumble!!! but with add depth at running back and WR...this should be an interesting yr for the niners!!!

Not earth wind and fire. that was the giants. We are Snap crackle and pop
Quote:
Everyone thinks he can be useful as a QB in the wildcat (which teams will soon SHUT DOWN because it is a gimmick offense), but he's looked absolutely AWFUL every time he's attempted it. He's simply not a running threat, and you NEED TO BE a running threat for that formation to work. DBs need to want to leave coverage to stop you from gaining big yards on the ground in order for the receivers to benefit and be left open for the runner to throw it to them. OR, you need to be able to take off and run if they don't come off their coverage and hurt them on the ground, which Robinson has already proven he cannot do. Since Robinson cannot achieve those objectives, it won't (and hasn't) work(ed). He's a decent receiver out of the backfield (which is not hard to do) and he is a decent blocker, but he is not good enough at either assignment to be irreplaceable. He can be replaced easily by somebody who can do those assignments AND run the ball. He's a good special teams player, but every team has their special teams aces and they aren't very tough to come by. Again, he can be easily replaced.

I don't mean to bash Robinson, but I'm tired of underachieving guys like him and Battle on the team. We're trying to get better, not stay mediocre. Battle gets WAY too much credit for what he has done in the past, which, by the way, is mediocrity at it's finest. The guy is not "clutch," he doesn't have "great hands" and just because he's been the most productive receiver out of a bunch of crappy receivers over the years means NOTHING. The only thing he does well is block downfield, which is good, but it is not something that cannot be replaced.

Keeping guys like them around is a sign of us accepting mediocrity, and in Robinson's case, he's not even good enough to be considered a mediocre RB.

This post is utter crap. First, let's deal with Clayton. He gained just over 300 yards his senior year at Kansas State, the team's 3rd leading rusher. He barely gained over 1000 yards and scored 7 TDs his entire college career. Compare that to Kory Sheets who scored 48 TDs. He runs a 4.63 40, slower than even Moran Norris, and is a poor blocker and not an adequate receiver. He sat on the practice squad for two seasons while Gore got hurt and other teams could have picked him up for a song. They had film on him but didn't want him because they know what our coaches know -- he sucks.

As to Michael Robinson, NOLAN blew it. The guy is an outstanding WR, and can fill in at FB, TE, WR. He was never given a chance to prove himself as an RB but Singletary loves the way he hits like Ronnie Lott and gives 100% on every play. He is easily our best special teams player which is VERY IMPORTANT and it was his blocks that paved the way for Rossum's return TDs.

MICHAEL ROBINSON:

Here he is catching a pass from Hill with only 52 seconds remaining in the game against the Rams. He has great hands and is an outstanding receiver.
http://www.nfl.com/videos?videoId=09000d5d80c912bd

Here he is auditioning for a TV announcing job:
http://videos.espn.com/m/video/20063851/the-mag-49er-michael-robinson-gets-behind-the-mic.htm

Here he picks up 20 yards up the middle against Atlanta:
http://www.nfl.com/videos?videoId=09000d5d803ebcdf

Here he is laying out badass Brian Dawkins while scoring a TD:

This one shows his HEART. as he picks up 20 yards with a swing pass and breaks 5 tackles. MRob would be like Ronnie Lott if he played defense. The man HITS:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kcCyY6tub1Y

Don't ever say this guy is not a good RB or a great athlete. Nolan mishandled him and really never gave him a chance. Sing and Raye won't make the same mistake. Furthermore, you are clueless as to the importance of a top special teams player. He is also one of the most popular players on the team and a real team leader. How many guys play themselves into total exhaustion and risk their life for their team? Michael Robinson did just that.
Originally posted by TlSSER:

what about the Eagle Craptree !
Originally posted by dj43:
As to Battle, you are wrong on several points: He DOES have very good hands. In addition being the most reliable receiver over the past 4 years, he was also the best punt return guy because he DOES have good hands. Battle is the kind of guy who does all the dirty work when the team needs it. It is just that he isn't the guy who is going to draw the double teams that free up other guys. He may not make the team this year, and I won't cry if that is the case but you are WAY too hard on him to be realistic.

He DOES NOT have GOOD hands. His hands are average in terms of NFL WIDE RECEIVERS (GOOD > average). Everyone thinks his hands are better than they really are because of the one year he supposedly didn't drop a pass. You have to remember he was also wide open whenever they threw to him because of Antonio Bryant that year, so he had no business dropping any passes. And let's not forget the very next year he was competing with Darrell Jackson for the most drops on the team! Oh how soon we forget, right? He was good at calling fair catch and fielding punts afterwards, I'll give him that, but catching a punt is far different from catching a pass and has nothing to do with his hands as a WR. There are plenty of DBs who field punts far better than Battle, that doesn't mean they have better hands, they're just better at fielding PUNTS. He was far from a good return man and anyone who can get in there and call fair catch would have been as good as him.

As for him being the most reliable receiver for us.. What does that prove? Absolutely NOTHING. Who was he more reliable than? A bunch of NOBODIES! That doesn't say a damn thing. Our WR corps has been awful since Owens left. Being the most reliable receiver amongst a bunch of horrible receivers does not make you any good, it just means you're better than the other terrible receivers.
Water. Heart.

By your powers combined....

Originally posted by ezrider:
Here he is catching a pass from Hill with only 52 seconds remaining in the game against the Rams. He has great hands and is an outstanding receiver.
http://www.nfl.com/videos?videoId=09000d5d80c912bd

A nice play, I will give you that. But let's face it, YOU could probably catch that pass. Shaun Hill laid it right in his chest. Anybody going out for a pass should be able to catch that. You're acting like he caught a ball in traffic, got hit and still held on to it or something. Give me a break. You can attribute that reception to the Rams' awful linebackers who allowed Robinson to run right past them.

Here he is auditioning for a TV announcing job:
http://videos.espn.com/m/video/20063851/the-mag-49er-michael-robinson-gets-behind-the-mic.htm

What does this have to do with anything? I don't care if he can be an announcer. That has nothing to do with his ability as a runningback.

Here he picks up 20 yards up the middle against Atlanta:

Too bad he can't do it consistantly. The Falcons missed one tackle from behind and the next guy that touched him dropped him. Every runningback who gets a chance to play will make a play every now and then. Robinson lacks ball carrier vision and will NOT break runs like that often.

If Robinson was good like you claim he is, they wouldn't have drafted another RB and Robinson would have been getting more carries last season. The fact is he is NOT a good RB and never will be. The coaches see it, that's why they brought in Coffee and Sheets.

Here he is laying out badass Brian Dawkins while scoring a TD:

Ahh yes, the video everyone brings up when they try to show how badass Robinson is.

This one shows his HEART. as he picks up 20 yards with a swing pass and breaks 5 tackles. MRob would be like Ronnie Lott if he played defense. The man HITS:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kcCyY6tub1Y

Again, a nice play. Too bad he does not do it consistantly. He broke 4 tackles if you include the sorry attempt at an arm tackle by the linebacker, and he looked great. But how many times has he caught a pass and gained a yard or two before going down? More often than not.

It's easy to make a case for a guy if you're going to bring up the few highlights he has. Almost every player in the league has a handful of highlights. Even Ryan Leaf had some really good looking plays. Even Tully Banta-Cain had some highlights in 07. That doesn't make them any good. If the player does things like that consistantly, THAT'S what makes them good.

Don't ever say this guy is not a good RB or a great athlete.

Don't ever try to tell me what to say. Michael Robinson is a great athlete, unfortunately that does not mean he is a good RB because he simply is not.

Nolan mishandled him and really never gave him a chance. Sing and Raye won't make the same mistake.

Oh really? Is that why they brought in Coffee and Sheets? That makes sense. They brought in two more runningbacks so they can give Michael Robinson more playing time. Get a clue!

Furthermore, you are clueless as to the importance of a top special teams player. He is also one of the most popular players on the team and a real team leader. How many guys play themselves into total exhaustion and risk their life for their team? Michael Robinson did just that.

What the hell are you talking about? Did you read that or are you just making s**t up to help your argument? LMAO!!!!

I know the importance of a top special teams player. I also know EVERY TEAM IN THE LEAGUE HAS THEM. They are not that hard to come by. Name me ONE team that doesn't have a special teams ace. You can't do it because everyone has a few of them. And what does him being one of the most popular players on the team have to do with ANYTHING?

Again, nice try with the highlights, but every player has highlights.
I'm not buying that we're taking a committee approach like the Titans and Giants. I still think it's going to be Gore getting the majority of the snaps.

Originally posted by tjd808185:
I'm not buying that we're taking a committee approach like the Titans and Giants. I still think it's going to be Gore getting the majority of the snaps.

Hopefully.
Nice try but you foolishly labeled him an "underachiever". That is the career description of Thomas Clayton. Stay in school.

As to being popular, he's a team captain. Singletary loves the guy because he puts out like Mike used to do. There is ZERO CHANCE that he gets cut. Say goodbye to Thomas and his 4.63 speed.
[ Edited by ezrider on Apr 30, 2009 at 12:49 PM ]
  • Envy
  • Veteran
As we're all pitching in...

Money, Power, Respect.

Money - Gore (Because he is money)
Power - Coffee (He needs to lighten up I think)
Respect - Sheets (He got poorly treated by his college even though he was THEIR offence)

TRADEMARKED by Envy
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Snap, crackle and pop if it's a three headed monster. Frank & beans if it's just Gore and Coffee.
Whatever you want to name these guys is fine as long as they actually perform well enough to deserve a nickname.

Sounds like we have a keeper already in Coffee based on his first minicamp and Sheets sounds like he has a chip on his shoulder about being labeled "only a third down back." Add those two to Gore and the Niners may have something special.

NINER MADMAN
Share 49ersWebzone