There are 352 users in the forums

*Projected* Niners Depth Chart (Updated 9/5/09)

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Very good prediction
Lots of good work, I enjoyed it. TC will sort it all out.
Very in depth. Didn't Lewis Baker get cut within the last few days?!?
The only ones I disagree with are WR, CB and RB.

RB: I think Sheets will make the team barring some sort of meltdown from him. I think there is not enough premium on the 3rd string runner on this team. Especially if and when Gore gets nicked up. You cant tell me that you want to count on Robinson to back up at anytime. So I think Sheets makes the team on that merit alone. You can never have enough runners.

WR: Battle I think makes this team. There is some value to be had with a WR who has good hands and can block. Not to mention he is of more value as a backup PR. I think he is a Raye kind of player in the slot and will be kept around because of it.

CB: I honestly dont know if Spencer makes this team. ACL injury not withstanding he wasnt that great of a playmaker to begin with. A solid corner yes...but not a potential game changer, I like Brown's potential much better as a cover man and playmaker. Not to mention that if you do keep Spencer you sort of stunt the growth of Smith's learning curve at CB. While they think he can play safety, they are also grooming him at CB...that just doesnt have the chance if Spencer has a spot on the roster. I hope I am wrong on him though because I do like Spencer. He is a good tackler and solid in coverage. He needs to create more turnovers but I don't know if it'll be in the red and gold.
The rest of this list is spot on...I am rooting for Boone in that RT battle BTW
  • 9erThrowBack
  • Info N/A
Originally posted by reasonable1:

RB: I think Sheets will make the team barring some sort of meltdown from him. I think there is not enough premium on the 3rd string runner on this team. Especially if and when Gore gets nicked up. You cant tell me that you want to count on Robinson to back up at anytime. So I think Sheets makes the team on that merit alone. You can never have enough runners.

Agree, particularly if he shows anything as a return man or otherwise excels on special teams.

Quote:
WR: Battle I think makes this team. There is some value to be had with a WR who has good hands and can block. Not to mention he is of more value as a backup PR. I think he is a Raye kind of player in the slot and will be kept around because of it.

Disagree. I don't think the Niners keep more than five wide receivers, so barring a training camp or preseason injury, the numbers just don't work for Battle with Bruce, Crabtree, Hill, Morgan, and Jones on the roster.

Quote:
CB: I honestly dont know if Spencer makes this team. ACL injury not withstanding he wasnt that great of a playmaker to begin with. A solid corner yes...but not a potential game changer, I like Brown's potential much better as a cover man and playmaker. Not to mention that if you do keep Spencer you sort of stunt the growth of Smith's learning curve at CB. While they think he can play safety, they are also grooming him at CB...that just doesnt have the chance if Spencer has a spot on the roster. I hope I am wrong on him though because I do like Spencer. He is a good tackler and solid in coverage. He needs to create more turnovers but I don't know if it'll be in the red and gold.

Disagree. You can't have too many defensive backs, particularly in the NFC West.
Originally posted by MadDog49er:
While I applaude your effort here in this very long analysis, you have one major glaring problem, in bold below.

"Eric Heitman: One of the most talked or argued about players on this board. Some people say Heitman is a very good player, some say we need to replace him as a starter. I don't know, he does have trouble getting a strong push on obvious running downs and if he doesen't get help he can get abused by bigger DT's. However, he does do a good job of making line calls, helping out and has been pretty durable. Can we do better at center, yes but we can also do worse. For now I think we can live with Heitman as our starting center as long as Baas and Rachal develop into good to very good players."

Anyone who thinks that believes Eric Heitmann (with 2 T's) needs to be replaced has zero football intelligence. To my knowledge, there is not one professional, who analyzes football, that would share that opinion.

Here are some snippets post-2008 season:
*Both our beat writers stated that Heitmann was the Niners best lineman in 2008.

*The Bleacher Report just came out with this statement recently:
Center: Eric Heitmann, San Francisco—He has the three S's that define premier centers: size, strength, and smarts.
Bleacher Report

* Here is YahooSports look at the 49ers OL:
The 49ers signed Staley to a long-term contract extension. They hope they have found a player to manage the quarterback’s blind side for a long, long time. The big competition will take place on the right side, pitting Smith, a former Pro Bowl player for the Steelers, against Snyder, who struggled at times at tackle last season. The middle of the 49ers’ line is a powerful bunch that should excel in the team’s new mindset of a power-running attack. Baas and Rachal are second-round picks who need to step up this season. Heitmann was easily the team’s best offensive lineman last season.

Yahoo Sports

*Football Outsiders ranked the Niners 6th in the NFL in 2008 in running the ball up the middle, over the center.

* San Francisco Chronicle: "Heitmann is sorely underrated as a center. He rarely makes a mistake, and since he has now fully recovered from the broken leg he sustained in 2006, Heitmann doesn't get bull rushed that often. Check out his masterpiece against the Jets' Kris Jenkins last year for evidence."

SF Gate and Chronicle

* Athlon Sports 2009 Preview: "The team’s most consistent lineman is center Eric Heitmann, who is coming off the best season of his seven-year career. The 312-pound Heitmann was strong enough to neutralize Jets nosetackle Kris Jenkins in their head-to-head meeting last season."
Athlon Sports

* Niners Nation- Center is a tough position to grade when it comes to the 49ers. They've got a very solid guy starting in Eric Heitmann (underrated in the league), but their depth is questionable at best.
Heitmann is still on the right side of 30 and quietly has been a very impressive center for the 49ers. Last season, Mike Martz actually referred to Heitmann as the best center he's ever coached by far. That can certainly be taken with a grain of salt, but it goes to show what some folks think of him. While the team is developing young talent around him, Heitmann has been the anchor of the line.

Niners Nation Article

* Betting firm- betfirms.com- " Inside the team’s best lineman is center Eric Heitmann"
Bet Firms.com

*Heitmann continues to win the Ed Block and Bob McKittrick prizes.

*Heitmann was the offensive captain last season.

In other words, Heitmann is the last one who needs to be looked at for a replacement going into 2009. Can we do better at center? Surely. Maybe we can recall the ghosts of Mike Webster, Jim Otto. But, seriously, Heitmann was a very good player in 2008.

P.S. While some of the listed above websites are not the most famous, the upcoming previews from major publications should show the same trend in their analysis.

MD, you SERIOUSLY have a "thing" for both Heitmann and Battle.
Originally posted by NickSh49:
Originally posted by MadDog49er:
While I applaude your effort here in this very long analysis, you have one major glaring problem, in bold below.

"Eric Heitman: One of the most talked or argued about players on this board. Some people say Heitman is a very good player, some say we need to replace him as a starter. I don't know, he does have trouble getting a strong push on obvious running downs and if he doesen't get help he can get abused by bigger DT's. However, he does do a good job of making line calls, helping out and has been pretty durable. Can we do better at center, yes but we can also do worse. For now I think we can live with Heitman as our starting center as long as Baas and Rachal develop into good to very good players."

Anyone who thinks that believes Eric Heitmann (with 2 T's) needs to be replaced has zero football intelligence. To my knowledge, there is not one professional, who analyzes football, that would share that opinion.

Here are some snippets post-2008 season:
*Both our beat writers stated that Heitmann was the Niners best lineman in 2008.

*The Bleacher Report just came out with this statement recently:
Center: Eric Heitmann, San Francisco—He has the three S's that define premier centers: size, strength, and smarts.
Bleacher Report

* Here is YahooSports look at the 49ers OL:
The 49ers signed Staley to a long-term contract extension. They hope they have found a player to manage the quarterback’s blind side for a long, long time. The big competition will take place on the right side, pitting Smith, a former Pro Bowl player for the Steelers, against Snyder, who struggled at times at tackle last season. The middle of the 49ers’ line is a powerful bunch that should excel in the team’s new mindset of a power-running attack. Baas and Rachal are second-round picks who need to step up this season. Heitmann was easily the team’s best offensive lineman last season.

Yahoo Sports

*Football Outsiders ranked the Niners 6th in the NFL in 2008 in running the ball up the middle, over the center.

* San Francisco Chronicle: "Heitmann is sorely underrated as a center. He rarely makes a mistake, and since he has now fully recovered from the broken leg he sustained in 2006, Heitmann doesn't get bull rushed that often. Check out his masterpiece against the Jets' Kris Jenkins last year for evidence."

SF Gate and Chronicle

* Athlon Sports 2009 Preview: "The team’s most consistent lineman is center Eric Heitmann, who is coming off the best season of his seven-year career. The 312-pound Heitmann was strong enough to neutralize Jets nosetackle Kris Jenkins in their head-to-head meeting last season."
Athlon Sports

* Niners Nation- Center is a tough position to grade when it comes to the 49ers. They've got a very solid guy starting in Eric Heitmann (underrated in the league), but their depth is questionable at best.
Heitmann is still on the right side of 30 and quietly has been a very impressive center for the 49ers. Last season, Mike Martz actually referred to Heitmann as the best center he's ever coached by far. That can certainly be taken with a grain of salt, but it goes to show what some folks think of him. While the team is developing young talent around him, Heitmann has been the anchor of the line.

Niners Nation Article

* Betting firm- betfirms.com- " Inside the team’s best lineman is center Eric Heitmann"
Bet Firms.com

*Heitmann continues to win the Ed Block and Bob McKittrick prizes.

*Heitmann was the offensive captain last season.

In other words, Heitmann is the last one who needs to be looked at for a replacement going into 2009. Can we do better at center? Surely. Maybe we can recall the ghosts of Mike Webster, Jim Otto. But, seriously, Heitmann was a very good player in 2008.

P.S. While some of the listed above websites are not the most famous, the upcoming previews from major publications should show the same trend in their analysis.

MD, you SERIOUSLY have a "thing" for both Heitmann and Battle.

you shouldnt talk bad on Heitman he is a very strong center, remember how he dominated the jets last year . soo awesome
Originally posted by 9erThrowBack:
Originally posted by reasonable1:

Agree, particularly if he shows anything as a return man or otherwise excels on special teams.

Quote:

Disagree. I don't think the Niners keep more than five wide receivers, so barring a training camp or preseason injury, the numbers just don't work for Battle with Bruce, Crabtree, Hill, Morgan, and Jones on the roster.

Quote:

Disagree. You can't have too many defensive backs, particularly in the NFC West.

Agree, Also with nate not in the mix yet it's better to keep spencer. I think battle stays and Z. goes to practice.
Training Camp Eve Roster Breakdown

OFFENSE (24 or 25)

Quarterback (3 or 4)
Lock (2): Shaun Hill & Alex Smith
Bubble (2): Damon Huard & Nate Davis

Question: Do we keep three or four QB’s?

Running Back (4 or 5)
Lock (4): Frank Gore, Moran Norris, Glen Coffee & Michael Robinson
Bubble (2): Kory Sheets & Thomas Clayton
Long shot (2): Zak Keasey, Brit Miller

Question: Sheets or Clayton?

Wide Receiver (5 or 6)
Lock (4): Michael Crabtree, Josh Morgan, Brandon Jones, Isaac Bruce
Bubble (3): Jason Hill, Arnaz Battle & Dominique Zeigler
Long shot (4): Mark Bradford, Michael Spurlock, Maurice Price & Dobson Collins

Question: Can Jason Hill stay healthy?

Tight End (3)
Lock (3): Vernon Davis, Delanie Walker & Bear Pascoe
Bubble (0): None
Long shot (1): JJ Finley

Question: Can Vernon break through?

O-Line (9 or 10)
Lock (7): Joe Staley, Marvel Smith, Adam Snyder, Chilo Rachal, David Baas, Tony Wragge & Eric Heitmann
Bubble (5): Cody Wallace, Alex Boone, Barry Sims, Jacob Bender & Kyle Howard
Long shot (2): Matt Spanos & Joe Toledo

Question: Who’s not rooting for Alex Boone?

DEFENSE (24 or 25)

D-Line (6 or 7)
Lock (5): Justin Smith, Aubrayo Franklin, Isaac Sopoaga, Demetric Evans & Kentwan Balmer
Bubble (2): Ray McDonald (I.R.), Ricky Jean-Francios
Long shot (2): Khalif Mitchell & Pannel Egboh

Question: Who’s #6?

Linebacker (8 or 9)
Lock (5): Patrick Willis, Takeo Spikes, Parys Haralson, Manny Lawson & Scott McKillop
Bubble (4): Jay Moore, Marques Harris, Jeff Ulbrich & Ahmad Brooks
Long shot (3): Mark Washington, Justin Roland & Diyral Briggs

Question: Can the 2010 Draft get here already?

Defensive Backs (9 or 10)
Lock (7): Nate Clements, Dre Bly, Shawnte Spencer, Tarell Brown, Dashon Goldson, Michael Lewis & Reggie Smith
Bubble (3): Marcus Hudson, Mark Roman & Curtis Taylor
Long shot (3): Terrail Lambert, Jahi Word-Daniels & Carlos Thomas

Question: Does Mark Roman stick?

SPECIAL TEAMS (3 or 4)
Lock (3): PK: Joe Nedney, P: Andy Lee, LS: Brian Jennings
Bubble (1): PR/KR: Allen Rossum
No Shot: (1): PK Alex Romero

Question: Can anyone make Rossum expendable?

Final Fifty Three

Offense (25)
WR: Isaac Bruce / Josh Morgan / Brandon Jones / Michael Crabtree / Jason Hill
TE: Vernon Davis / Delanie Walker / Bear Pascoe
OT: Joe Staley / Marvel Smith / Adam Snyder / Alex Boone
OG: Chilo Rachal / David Baas / Tony Wragge
OC: Eric Heitmann / Cody Wallace
QB: Shaun Hill / Alex Smith / Damon Huard
RB: Frank Gore / Glen Coffee / Michael Robinson / Kory Sheets
FB: Moran Norris

Defense (24)
DE: Justin Smith / Demetric Evans / Kentwan Balmer / Ricky Jean-Francios
NT: Aubrayo Franklin / Isaac Sopoaga
OLB: Parys Haralson / Manny Lawson / Jay Moore / Diyral Briggs / Marques Harris
ILB: Patrick Willis / Takeo Spikes / Scott McKillop / Jeff Ulbrich
CB: Nate Clements / Dre’ Bly / Tarell Brown / Shawntae Spencer / Marcus Hudson
S: Michael Lewis / Dashon Goldson / Reggie Smith / Mark Roman

Special Teams (4)
PK: Joe Nedney
P: Andy Lee
KR: Allen Rossum
LS: Brian Jennings

PUP
DE: Ray McDonald

Practice Squad
QB: Nate Davis
DB: Curtis Taylor, ??
OL: Kyle Howard, Jacob Bender
WR: ??
DL: ??
LB: ??

[ Edited by SonocoNinerFan on Aug 1, 2009 at 00:42:21 ]

Originally posted by SonocoNinerFan:

OFFENSE (24 or 25)

Quarterback (3 or 4)

Running Back (4 or 5)

Wide Receiver (5 or 6)

Tight End (3)

O-Line (9 or 10)
Lock (7): Joe Staley, Marvel Smith, Adam Snyder, Chilo Rachal, David Baas, Tony Wragge & Eric Heitmann

DEFENSE (24 or 25)

D-Line (6 or 7)
Lock (5): Justin Smith, Aubrayo Franklin, Isaac Sopoaga, Demetric Evans & Kentwan Balmer

Linebacker (8 or 9)
Lock (5): Patrick Willis, Takeo Spikes, Parys Haralson, Manny Lawson & Scott McKillop

Lock (7): Nate Clements, Dre Bly, Shawnte Spencer, Tarell Brown, Dashon Goldson, Michael Lewis & Reggie Smith

SPECIAL TEAMS (3 or 4)

Final Fifty Three

Offense (25)

Defense (24)

Special Teams (4)

PUP

Practice Squad

looks pretty good to me

OFFENSE (24 or 25)

Quarterback (3 or 4)

Running Back (4 or 5)

Wide Receiver (5 or 6)

Tight End (3)

O-Line (9 or 10)

DEFENSE (24 or 25)

D-Line (6 or 7)

Linebacker (8 or 9)

SPECIAL TEAMS (3 or 4)

Final Fifty Three

Offense (25)

Defense (24)

Special Teams (4)

PUP

Practice Squad

I agree with most of this, I just think that having an extra FB in the fold would help more unless sheets shows that he will not make it through the year on the practice squad. I also think that battle will make the final cuts, everybody says he is crap, but he has been valuable over the last couple of years. I am rooting for RJF to beat out mcdonald I dont think he would make the year on the practice squad.

[b]Final Fifty Three

Offense (25)

Defense (24)

Special Teams (4)

PUP

Practice Squad

I don't think the Niners will expose Nate Davis on the Practice Squad, but hide him on IR with a phony injury. If not, he'll replace Huard as the third QB. IMO, Battle stays on the 53 while Cody Wallace goes to the PS. On defense, Curtis Taylor makes the team while Jay Moore spends more time on the PS.

[ Edited by Paul_Hofer on Aug 3, 2009 at 14:06:22 ]
I think J. Moore makes the club or is cut third year with no production. I also think that Mrob could be moved to backup fullback/specialteamer. With his pass catching skills he would make a great 3rd down fullback . Then you could have either clayton or sheets on the roster.
Offense
QB: Shaun Hill, Alex Smith, Nate Davis

RB: Frank Gore, Glen Coffee, Michael Robinson

WR1: Issac Bruce, Brandon Jones, Arnaz Battle
WR2: Josh Morgan, Michael Crabtree, Jason Hill

TE: Vernon Davis, Delanie Walker, Bear Pascoe

LT: Joe Staley, Alex Boone
LG: David Baas, Adam Snyder
C: Eric Heitmann, Cody Wallace
RG: Chilo Rachel, Tony Wragge
RT: Marvel Smith, Adam Snyder