There are 174 users in the forums

QB Competition

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by Kolohe:
Originally posted by Joecool:
Originally posted by TOP_CAT:
Here is what Matt B. said today about what the QB depth chart might look like this year ( in answe to a question about possibly drafting White in a later round) ...
------------------------------------------------------------------------
These are the scenarios I see going into the season:

1. Hill, Smith, Huard (White?)
2. Hill, Garcia, Huard, (White?)
3. Hill, Smith, rookie (White or other rookie)
4. Hill, Garcia, rookie. (White or other rookie)

----------------------------------------------------------

Looks like Matt has enough sense to know that Hill is the starter and that Alex (if he stays) will be a backup at best.

Yeah, but last year we all thought Hill was starting also. History has shown that these coaches can't decide on their QB. Let's hope Singletary changes this. I have a feeling that unless a QB blows him out of the water, he is not changing Hill's status.

I agree. At least when Martz was here, he knew who his QB would be, regardless of how it ended up to be.

For a new HC, you would think the first thing that would be taken care of is the QB position. But now I'm coming to the conclusion that if Sanchez or Stafford is there at #10 one of them will be our starter.

But then again, you would name your starter right away even if a rookie was drafted. That way if he beats your crowned king, it only makes you and your staff look that much better. And if your crowned king does end up starting the season, it would show you made the right decision with him.

I am comfortable with how Singletary makes his decisions. Martz did know who his QB was going to be but his problem was that he didn't know when he should have changed his QB and Nolan didn't have a spine to do anything.

I will be very comfortable if Hill starts with Singletary because Singletary has already shown he won't settle for crap play and pull Hill if needed

Very true, which chaps my ass, as to why Singletary hasn't named Hill the starter. After all wouldn't you go into the season with the QB that pretty much adds to the reason that he is our HC??

Well in that case I would imagine Smith should be named the starter since he's out performing Hill so far this pre-season.... it's all perspective.
I'm not saying I want Smith to start I'm just saying get off the Hill bandwagon. People saying 7-3 need to slow down because he didn't do much of anything. This year the starter will be decided based on who is better NOW not who had the glory moments. By the way if it was based on glory moments I think Smith would take the spot with his sweet famous seahawks raping lol I don't want Smith or Hill to be handed the spot is my point. I want someone to step up and TAKE IT and personally I think Smith has looked better through two games and that's what counts so far. But it's all out the window because in reality all that matters is the week of practice and the Cowboys game and well see who rises from the dust!
I applaud hill for his 7-3 record. But if thats going to be brought up (all the time) as a postive, then its only fair to evaluate the games/opponents. He didnt get to choose who he played...I agree. Just like Alex didnt CHOOSE to have 5 coordinators, 2 shoulder surgeries, and an inept HC, etc.

I dont understand the double standard. When ever anyone brings up the wins in 2006, the Smith haters come on and say, "Well it was all Gore." Oh...so now we are analyzing wins? So then I could say, "Alex didnt CHOOSE the play that was called..." Cmon...

It goes both ways. If you're going to discredit all of Alex's wins as, "well it was all defense, and all Gore..." then people are going to scrutinize and analyze Hills wins. If you dont want them to, then dont bring up "7-3 dood 7-3 thatz allz I gotta saii!"

Again, Im not trying to discredit Hill. A win is a win. I'm just saying, lets hold BOTH QBs to the SAME STANDARD and the SAME LEVEL of scrutiny.
Originally posted by jerryricefan80:
This QB competition lasting into the third preseason game means really one thing, we don't have a Franchise QB to guide this team. At some point this club needs to acquire a solid veteran QB and/ or draft a future franchise QB in 2010. I really think this should have been pursued more aggressively over the last two years. Obviously the organization felt the same way cause they offered Kurt Warner a deal this off-season. The loser of this QB competition needs to be sent packing after this year so we can make room for new, fresh talent. Keeping these two QB's around in the same clubhouse just prolongs this eventual need to bring in somebody with more talent.

Well, we have two first rounders and there are some good QB's coming out of the draft... you might get what you want.
  • Nes49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by mustangmele:
This QB competition lasting into the third preseason game means really one thing, we don't have a Franchise QB to guide this team. At some point this club needs to acquire a solid veteran QB and/ or draft a future franchise QB in 2010. I really think this should have been pursued more aggressively over the last two years. Obviously the organization felt the same way cause they offered Kurt Warner a deal this off-season. The loser of this QB competition needs to be sent packing after this year so we can make room for new, fresh talent. Keeping these two QB's around in the same clubhouse just prolongs this eventual need to bring in somebody with more talent.

Well, we have two first rounders and there are some good QB's coming out of the draft... you might get what you want.

Need a pass rush more.....if nothing else...Nate Davis looked aight.
Originally posted by GoFD74:
Originally posted by Thrash88:
I do know football and when they played that great Buccaneers team. We were losing 13-6 at half when 3/4 of the Buccaneers starters came out.

"The Buccaneers (9-6) already are headed to the playoffs as the NFC's No. 4 seed, so Tampa Bay treated the day as a glorified exhibition, removing nearly every key player in the second half."
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/recap?gameId=271223025

He then went on to beat a 5-9 Cincinnati team, quite impressive whose starting running back was non other then Rudi Johnson on the downside of his career and Kenny Watson. Wait who the heck is Kenny Watson, enough said.

As for last year, his impressive two wins against the Rams, not to mention that last game he threw 3 INT! Those 2-14 Rams sure must of been tough! He beat the Bills who were put to 6-6 after that game, awsome. I'll give him the Jets game that was a hell of a game all be it Favre wasn't exactly god last year.

You wanna talk about winning, again show me facts. Beating up on scrubs doesn't do it. If he could beat scrubs the last two years he shouldn't have any trouble this preseason as it's the same competition level, yet hes struggling. Not a good sign for niner fans!

Dude, nobody is saying Hill is the next Montana. People are just pointing out that in the 10 times he's started, he's won 7 of those games. Now, does he need to show that he can beat good/great times? Of course, every young QB who has ever played the game needs to do this. But you have to start somewhere...if over time he proves that he can't beat good teams, THEN your point becomes a valid one. However, 10 starts doesn't equal a trend either way (for or against his case to start).

Did Hill struggle against Denver in his 1 quarter of play? I didn't think so....he didn't look great, but he didn't play poorly either. He made some excellent throws, and he held on to the ball to long and took a sack. Overall, not a great performance, but definitely not a "struggle."

He did look bad against the Raiders, this is true. Even though Smith's numbers were worse, I thought he looked in command of the huddle and overall more confident than did Hill.

Is that one quarter alone enough for Smith to unseat Hill though? Not in my opinion.

The bigger issue is that we don't really have a TRUE QB on this team, or at least one that the fans feel has the right stuff to lead our team all the way. What we have is a collection of mediocrity, and the decision is really, "which one, out of these, will suck the least?"

I think you're comments a reasonable and logical. But IMHO, I think the Niners do have a TRUE QB on this team. Smith looks like his confident and has stepped up to the plate. He's playing with more confidence in times past than I've seen.

I don't blame anyone for their doubts, I have a few lingering doubts myself. But I think this is the year Smith will prove himself as a TRUE QB.... if that is Singletary gives him that opportunity.

I agree that Smith looked much better behind center against the Raiders than he did against Denver (even of the numbers were horrid), but one quarter isn't enough to erase the previous 4 years of doubts/bad play/injuries/losing football.

I'm like most people in that I want every single one of our draft picks to make it, especially the 1st rounders. But when it comes to Smith, there's just something missing in how he plays QB. I can't put my finger on it...I wish it was easy as, "he just blows," but that's not really it.

He's missing something (even during the 2006 season when he was healthy you could see it), and I just don't know if he'll ever get there. I hope he does for all of our sake, but I don't see it happening.
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by TOP_CAT:
Here is what Matt B. said today about what the QB depth chart might look like this year ( in answe to a question about possibly drafting White in a later round) ...
------------------------------------------------------------------------
These are the scenarios I see going into the season:

1. Hill, Smith, Huard (White?)
2. Hill, Garcia, Huard, (White?)
3. Hill, Smith, rookie (White or other rookie)
4. Hill, Garcia, rookie. (White or other rookie)

----------------------------------------------------------

Looks like Matt has enough sense to know that Hill is the starter and that Alex (if he stays) will be a backup at best.

Yeah, but last year we all thought Hill was starting also. History has shown that these coaches can't decide on their QB. Let's hope Singletary changes this. I have a feeling that unless a QB blows him out of the water, he is not changing Hill's status.

I agree. At least when Martz was here, he knew who his QB would be, regardless of how it ended up to be.

For a new HC, you would think the first thing that would be taken care of is the QB position. But now I'm coming to the conclusion that if Sanchez or Stafford is there at #10 one of them will be our starter.

But then again, you would name your starter right away even if a rookie was drafted. That way if he beats your crowned king, it only makes you and your staff look that much better. And if your crowned king does end up starting the season, it would show you made the right decision with him.

I am comfortable with how Singletary makes his decisions. Martz did know who his QB was going to be but his problem was that he didn't know when he should have changed his QB and Nolan didn't have a spine to do anything.

I will be very comfortable if Hill starts with Singletary because Singletary has already shown he won't settle for crap play and pull Hill if needed

Very true, which chaps my ass, as to why Singletary hasn't named Hill the starter. After all wouldn't you go into the season with the QB that pretty much adds to the reason that he is our HC??

Well in that case I would imagine Smith should be named the starter since he's out performing Hill so far this pre-season.... it's all perspective.

How does that relate to what I said?? And how has Smith out performed Hill so far, its not like Smith had any TD drives?? I wouldn't say Smith throwing a couple passes is out-performing Hill either.
Originally posted by Thrash88:
I do know football and when they played that great Buccaneers team. We were losing 13-6 at half when 3/4 of the Buccaneers starters came out.

"The Buccaneers (9-6) already are headed to the playoffs as the NFC's No. 4 seed, so Tampa Bay treated the day as a glorified exhibition, removing nearly every key player in the second half."

He then went on to beat a 5-9 Cincinnati team, quite impressive whose starting running back was non other then Rudi Johnson on the downside of his career and Kenny Watson. Wait who the heck is Kenny Watson, enough said.

As for last year, his impressive two wins against the Rams, not to mention that last game he threw 3 INT! Those 2-14 Rams sure must of been tough! He beat the Bills who were put to 6-6 after that game, awsome. I'll give him the Jets game that was a hell of a game all be it Favre wasn't exactly god last year.

You wanna talk about winning, again show me facts. Beating up on scrubs doesn't do it. If he could beat scrubs the last two years he shouldn't have any trouble this preseason as it's the same competition level, yet hes struggling. Not a good sign for niner fans!

I'm tired of typing the same stuff over and over....so I'll just copy and paste it.

also some of you make it seem that the 2008 9ers were a high powered team before Hill and Singletary took over.....as if we were expected to win these games against teams yall consider "scrubs".....

I know you said you give credit for the Jets game...but you make it seem the Favra wasn't impressive last year....his Jets team put up alot of points and beat some tough teams....

anyway here...

there are no gimmie games in the NFL first and foremost....but for your sake we'll talk about those Ram games later.......but for now

The Bills, Jets, Patriots, & Dolphins were all in a tight race during our games against the AFC east....

"'08 Bills (started off the year strong but died out by the time we played them not to mention JP Losman finished the game against us.)"

if by "died out" you mean put up 54 points on Chiefs the previous week....then yes.... I mean sure they were losing some games before that to their tough division rivals....but at the time they played us they were still in the playoff picture....and started building momentum after that Chiefs game..... we went to Buffalo...in cold weather....and won as a team....Shaun did his part, Isac Bruce made those DBs look silly, and our defense stepped up......nobody thought we would win that game....I was one of the few who felt we could...hell I even opened an account at the Bills forum just to let them know not to sleep on our team....

"'08 Jets (already imploding see week before we played them)"

yes they lost the game to the Broncos the previous week....but "already imploded"?
before that lost to the Broncos the Jets were on a 5 game winning streak....and were 7-1 in their previous 8 games.

in these games leading up to the Denver and 49ers game they..

in wk 12 the Titans were still undefeated (10-0) until the Jets Blew them out 34-17 at Tennessee.

in wk 11 they went into Foxborough and beat the Patriots

in wk 10 they blew out the Rams 47-3....yeah yeah the Rams haha...still put up 47pts though.

in wk 9 they beat Buffalo..

hell they even blew out the NFC Champions Arizona Cards 56-35 in that span of 8 games.

I wouldn't say the Jets were lousy .....Shaun Hill Totally outplayed future hall of famer Favra.....most did not expect us to win that game......but I did...I also created an account just to let the Jets fans know not to take the game lightly as well.

here is a link to my thread on their forum before the week of the game.
http://www.jetsinsider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=184217

also the Redskins, while they were out of the playoffs....so were we..... they had one of the Best ranked defense that year.

with opinions thrown out the window....The facts are that Shaun Hill help beat teams we were not expected to beat that year....he won on the road... we were the first west coast team to win on the east coast that season and that was Week 13....and he is also 5-0 at home....he's pretty good.
[ Edited by Afrikan on Aug 24, 2009 at 1:39 PM ]
  • Esco
  • Hall of Fame
God I can't wait for this to be over with
  • Nes49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Esco:

It will ever B over......

• fryet
  • Veteran
Alex Smith wasn't expected to be the Seattle Seahawks in 2006, and he did it twice. Over the last 10 healthy games, Smith is a respectable 5-5. Both QBs are close enough, that it will be their player this preaseason, not previous history that will determine who is the starting QB.
  • jerryricefan80
  • Info N/A
Originally posted by Nes49:

Need a pass rush more.....if nothing else...Nate Davis looked aight.

How much longer is alright good enough though? I agree, we need a legitimate OLB pass rusher and/or more beef at the end to help take on defenders and free our OLB's to rush the QB. But, we also need to bring in the answer at QB cause right now we don't have it.
Originally posted by pantstickle:
Some people are honestly blinded by a victory against the Jets because he hasn't beat another good team and I'll once again beat your personal opinion with "actual facts"

When they played that great Buccaneers team. We were losing 13-6 at half when 3/4 of the Buccaneers starters came out.

So once again show me the facts. I'm tired of people defending their opinions with more..opinions. You can't deny the facts and read above for any information your brain won't accept. This year will be decided based on who's performing better THIS YEAR. So far that is Smith as he has played good both games rather then just one.
Share 49ersWebzone