There are 147 users in the forums

QB Competition

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • ZRF80
Jesus, will all you Smith apologetics get REAL for once ? Is it sheer coincidence that EVERYTIME Smith is our QB, the "drops" and "miscues" by our receivers increase ? Did it ever occur to you people that Alex Smith is too slow in his reads, and that by the time he throws to his receivers, they're way past running their routes and are circling the field like chickens with their heads cut off. Yeah, if I ran a 5 yard outpattern, didnt have my QB throw to me......Id be running like a maniac too around all those defenders. Which would definitely skew my attention level to a point where I might not be concentrating on the ball too well.

Seriously, some of you guys need to wake up. Why dont you go back and pull out ALL your posts from Webzone archives that state "receivers dropped the ball", "receivers dropped the ball", "receivers dropped the ball". It's freaking hilarious, cause this "problem" only exists with Smith in. And please, dont even bother to try and convince us realists that Alex Smith has an arm like Favre's, and his receivers cant see the ball.

The truth: Alex doesnt do a good job reading through his progressions. When he does, he throws a bad ball. When he doesnt, he forces his receivers into unconventional positions. No s**t they keep dropping balls.

Im not saying Hill is Montana reincarnate. But he sure as hell has better command of the field than Smith has. And Id rather put the ball in his hands on 3rd and 21, than give Smith a shot on 3rd and 5.
Originally posted by ZRF80:
Jesus, will all you Smith apologetics get REAL for once ? Is it sheer coincidence that EVERYTIME Smith is our QB, the "drops" and "miscues" by our receivers increase ? Did it ever occur to you people that Alex Smith is too slow in his reads, and that by the time he throws to his receivers, they're way past running their routes and are circling the field like chickens with their heads cut off. Yeah, if I ran a 5 yard outpattern, didnt have my QB throw to me......Id be running like a maniac too around all those defenders. Which would definitely skew my attention level to a point where I might not be concentrating on the ball too well.

Seriously, some of you guys need to wake up. Why dont you go back and pull out ALL your posts from Webzone archives that state "receivers dropped the ball", "receivers dropped the ball", "receivers dropped the ball". It's freaking hilarious, cause this "problem" only exists with Smith in. And please, dont even bother to try and convince us realists that Alex Smith has an arm like Favre's, and his receivers cant see the ball.

The truth: Alex doesnt do a good job reading through his progressions. When he does, he throws a bad ball. When he doesnt, he forces his receivers into unconventional positions. No s**t they keep dropping balls.

Im not saying Hill is Montana reincarnate. But he sure as hell has better command of the field than Smith has. And Id rather put the ball in his hands on 3rd and 21, than give Smith a shot on 3rd and 5.

Thank you ZRF.

I don't think it's ever going to be possible to sway some fans. It has to do with the emotional attachment to a high QB pick. People want so bad for the guy to be the next Peyton Manning that they become so blinded to what's in front of them...the guy SUCKS. They also forget that many (if not most) top pick QBs never live up to expectations.

There are still people in Detroit who feel Joey H got a raw deal, there are still people in Cleveland who feel Couch got a raw deal, there are still people in Houston that feel Carr got a raw deal, and there will always people in SF that think Smith got a raw deal.

Let me quote Steve Young from his KNBR show here when asked about Alex Smith: "Every player can come to you with a laundry list full of reasons for why they shouldn't have made it. The fact is, the good ones figure out that way to make it." Spoken by the legend himself. Just to reiterate, this was in direct reference to Alex Smith.
[ Edited by Leathaface on Aug 24, 2009 at 4:02 AM ]

If Alex is slow in his progressions... and sometimes he is... that is no excuse for receivers to drop catchable passes. Ball comes your way? You catch it, or you sit the bench. The only thing rediculous is this desparation by some to discredit Alex Smith. There are things that he needs to do better... ball placement and decision making... but that will come with time and comfort behind center.

Bottom line is catchable passes get caught... or it's on the receivers. They make too much coin for this pampered belief that the ball must be put perfectly placed.
Don't know why we're fighting about Smith being bad...when Hill played worse he throws like a girl. Sure he can read a defense but man he has no zip on ANY of his passes and he's been sacked more then Smith has this preseason so who holds on to the ball more? They both played HORRIBLY but Smith win's round two hands down with his pass to Vernon Davis for the first down was quick and on the money and the 3rd down pass to Arnaz Battle was perfect for the first down. Hill got lucky he should have been picked off if not for Morgan stealing that ball, so really Smith had a better game round 2...all be it, a better "crap" game lol. Let's stop fighting with each other and be happy that the offense is running over first team defenses with our back up running backs and that our defense is causing turnovers and stuffing the run without a couple of key starters...lets JUST BE HAPPY FOOTBALL IS BACK god I can't wait for Sundays!
  • fryet
  • Veteran
So far, neither player has "won" the competition. Right now it appears that we are choosing the lesser of 2 evils. Smith did good things and bad things. Hill looked pretty mediocre as well. I couldn't fault Singletary for choosing either of them, but if they don't improve, we had better draft a 1st round QB next year.

Smith's problems:
throwing the ball too fast where a little touch would have helped (pass to Isaac Bruce comes to mind)
throwing a slightly inaccurate ball (often too high) - several passes were like this, especially the interception
rolling to his right to escape a sack always results in him throwing the ball away - if he has this great arm strength, let's see him throw it accross his body for a completion. If he is supposed to be a fast QB, let's see him outrun the DE and get some positive yardage.
At some point it becomes detrimental to our passing offense to not name a starter. I think we are at that point right now.

If we can glean anything from our first two pre-season games it is that the running game is far more ready than our passing game. Both Alex and Shaun had bad days against Oakland, horrible really. We can blame it on WR separation, dropped passes, lack of protection...but in the end it is all just an excuse.

We need to name a starter and we need to begin to develop / improve our passing attack. While I prefer Hill at this point (I think it would be beneficial for Smith to sit for a bit), I believe we can win with either QB; however, I don't think we will have a successful season, offensively, unless we give our offense an opportunity to gel. They are two completely different QB's style-wise and our receivers and O-Line need to get comfortable / adjusted to the QB for the season.
Originally posted by Leathaface:

Thank you ZRF.

I don't think it's ever going to be possible to sway some fans. It has to do with the emotional attachment to a high QB pick. People want so bad for the guy to be the next Peyton Manning that they become so blinded to what's in front of them...the guy SUCKS. They also forget that many (if not most) top pick QBs never live up to expectations.

There are still people in Detroit who feel Joey H got a raw deal, there are still people in Cleveland who feel Couch got a raw deal, there are still people in Houston that feel Carr got a raw deal, and there will always people in SF that think Smith got a raw deal.

Let me quote Steve Young from his KNBR show here when asked about Alex Smith: "Every player can come to you with a laundry list full of reasons for why they shouldn't have made it. The fact is, the good ones figure out that way to make it." Spoken by the legend himself. Just to reiterate, this was in direct reference to Alex Smith.

And you know I agree with Steve.

Alex has already overlooked his past and got over it, just like Sing taught him to do. He doesnt make excuses for his past, and has said it over and over again.

The good ones figure it out. Well he decided to stay with the niners, and restructure his contract, just like bly, just like green, to show that he's that devoted to the team, that like bly said i've made enough money now im hungry. So alex in that last game would of had a better drive than hill that first game, and spread the ball around more. With dropped passes, ever think that maybe they cant handle the hard pass. i mean not everyone can catch a bullet, but when you bring in hill, why do they catch his passe so well, because he throws like a high schooler. it gets there, but no velocity, or hard spiral with force.

So based on Steve's words, i think the kid is finally on his way to making it
I get the impression that Singletary has been waiting for Smith to shine so brightly that he has no choice but to name him. Unfortunately, Smith has yet to do that so by default Singletary will have to name Hill the starter after the Dallas Game. Nate Davis won't get a shot simply because he is a rookie and I don't think Singletary wants to make a mistake with him starting ala Nolan.

The job is Hill's to lose anyway. I don't think Smith can win it outright now after the Raider's game. Maybe if the 3 drops had been caught or if Smith had run for some positive yardage on one of the throwaways, it would be a different story, but they weren't and he didn't. I think since the "competition" is a toss up, Hill wins due to last years performance.
Originally posted by Jersey9er:
Originally posted by Leathaface:

Thank you ZRF.

And you know I agree with Steve.

Alex has already overlooked his past and got over it, just like Sing taught him to do. He doesnt make excuses for his past, and has said it over and over again.

The good ones figure it out. Well he decided to stay with the niners, and restructure his contract, just like bly, just like green, to show that he's that devoted to the team, that like bly said i've made enough money now im hungry. So alex in that last game would of had a better drive than hill that first game, and spread the ball around more. With dropped passes, ever think that maybe they cant handle the hard pass. i mean not everyone can catch a bullet, but when you bring in hill, why do they catch his passe so well, because he throws like a high schooler. it gets there, but no velocity, or hard spiral with force.

So based on Steve's words, i think the kid is finally on his way to making it

A 4.2 QB rate against Oakland tells us a different story.

Shaun looked only slightly better this game then Alex did; but, he still did look better.

Wow..

Originally posted by BigRon:
I get the impression that Singletary has been waiting for Smith to shine so brightly that he has no choice but to name him. Unfortunately, Smith has yet to do that so by default Singletary will have to name Hill the starter after the Dallas Game. Nate Davis won't get a shot simply because he is a rookie and I don't think Singletary wants to make a mistake with him starting ala Nolan.

The job is Hill's to lose anyway. I don't think Smith can win it outright now after the Raider's game. Maybe if the 3 drops had been caught or if Smith had run for some positive yardage on one of the throwaways, it would be a different story, but they weren't and he didn't. I think since the "competition" is a toss up, Hill wins due to last years performance.

Now i agree with you to a certain degree but what if you look at the smith thing a little differently. Could be a shot in the dark but what if after the first game Sing said ok hill looked good, no TD, but looked ok and drove as usual. Which is why he said he knows what to expect from hill.

This recent game i wonder if he looks it a little differently. Smith did gel with the offense on his first drive. Vernon even low fived him on that completed pass. He converted on his third downs, only to fail when bruce dropped one, vd dropped one, and if you look at sing after vernon dropped it, he smiled when he was returning to the sideline, cause he knew vernon should of caught it. Just like Morgan should of caught that ball. As i said and will continue to say as a wide receiver your job is to catch the ball. Each mans hand touched the ball so they all should of been caught.

Like matt b said yesterday, smiths results were deceiving because a lot wasnt his fault. The ball came out quicker, he stepped up, and stayed in the pocket, and threw it away instead of taking the sack like hill. He did drive the ball down the field. He did put his body out there when we were gonna take the loss, he did make the tackle when there was an int instead of letting them score on defense. It was funny because Ellis even said yeah you gotta take a look at a QB that can make a move like that to try and save the play.

What if sing looked at all these things and said to himself you know, i thought it would be wrapped up with hills play, but hill looked horrible. He shined during raiders practices like everyone said but then did worse than any of our qb's. his pass would of been caught for the int. And above all he was on the 4 yard line, and couldnt punch it in. And some said only two run plays and one throw, well on that one throw, maybe it's just me, but in the past many made a big deal about him diving into the endzone and throwing up his hands and all that crap, but he overthrough out the back of the end zone, and if he really wanted to make a statement he should of dove in the end zone. i watched it and he may have gotten tackled, but he could of made the td himself just the same. So now he was just as close as smith but didnt score, he stayed in to make a statement score after the Raiders scored and couldnt get it done.. And so far thats been his M.O., if your going solely based on this years performance through the first two games. Hill has drove the ball, but even in the red zone, all his drives have stalled.

So i dont think Sing is necessarily taken because smith did make strides in the last game, some things that i have never even seen hill do. The raiders shut down his short game, and thats the only fault that i see to hill, his timidness to look down the field for more than 15 yards. I thought he should of done better being that he did shine soo much in the practices like everyone talked about. And not to mention he was brought in to make a statment, being as his supporters say he is the starter.

I think because of smith's drives and the saves he had, that it does give Sing a reason to take another look. I mean f**k past seasons stats, and games, that has nothing to do with now. And if you base it on qb play alone, hill has looked average at best throwing his usual short underneath passes, for 15 yds and shorter. Also if you look at each qb's play, smith has also thrown more to different receivers as opposed to just VD, and maybe one other on the inside 15 yd plays.
I was just watching "FirstTake" on ESPN2 and they were discussing the 49ers QB battle between Shaun Hill and Alex Smith. New York News Day's Bob Glauber said before this past week's game vs Oakland, Shaun Hill had the slight edge. Now, he said (according to his sources) HC Singletary is "going back to the drawing board." That neither QB did well only combining for 50 passing yards. Glauber said the 49ers QB competition is even again!
[ Edited by PTulini on Aug 24, 2009 at 8:02 AM ]
Originally posted by PTulini:
I was just watching "FirstTake" on ESPN2 and they were discussing the 49ers QB battle between Shaun Hill and Alex Smith. New York News Day's Bob Glauber said before this past week's game vs Oakland, Shaun Hill had the slight edge. Now, he said (according to his sources) HC Singletary is "going back to the drawing board." That neither QB did well only combining for 50 passing yards. Glauber said the 49ers QB competition is even again!

Makes sense....neither out shined the other last week.

WTF re u talking about if the ball is placed i the WRs hands he has to catch it no excuses
Anyone saying Hill looked better against the raiders obviously has never played a football game in their lives. Are you high lol he throws like a 3 year old girl with no zip on any of his passes he can barely throw a 5 yard out route. He gets sacked because he isn't athletic he's a good backup thats it. Smith played ok but not much better then Hill but the key is Smith played better then Hill against the raiders no questions asked now it's up to a week of practice and the Cowboys game to seperate the man from the boy....
Share 49ersWebzone