There are 157 users in the forums

QB Competition

Shop Find 49ers gear online
I'm gonna call it right now............. HUARD will be the starter in 09!

I want Alex to eventually pan out and be a long term solution for us. However, going into the season I'd be much more confident with Hill knowing what he did last season, than starting Smith who we haven't seen in a long time. I'm kind of hoping we're able to win at least one game in a blow out so Smith can step into the 4th quarter . But all in all, I would just be really scared to see Smith start the season but I'd still root for him
  • wshaheen321
  • Info N/A
Originally posted by teeohh:
I want Alex to eventually pan out and be a long term solution for us. However, going into the season I'd be much more confident with Hill knowing what he did last season, than starting Smith who we haven't seen in a long time. I'm kind of hoping we're able to win at least one game in a blow out so Smith can step into the 4th quarter . But all in all, I would just be really scared to see Smith start the season but I'd still root for him

This.

Hopefully it will all work itself out in preseason with a clear cut winner. We already know what Hill can do. Alex is a bit more of a question mark, coming back from injury and not playing for so long. I say let Alex start all the preseason games. Get him as many reps in the games as possible. I wanna see what he can do. I'm not worried about Hill playing with the 1st team offense in preseason. We already know what he can do.
  • wshaheen321
  • Info N/A
Originally posted by AKfanster:

Hopefully it will all work itself out in preseason with a clear cut winner. We already know what Hill can do. Alex is a bit more of a question mark, coming back from injury and not playing for so long. I say let Alex start all the preseason games. Get him as many reps in the games as possible. I wanna see what he can do. I'm not worried about Hill playing with the 1st team offense in preseason. We already know what he can do.

But they're still both learning a new offense, getting as many reps with the 1st team against different teams' defenses is mightily important.
Originally posted by wshaheen321:

But they're still both learning a new offense, getting as many reps with the 1st team against different teams' defenses is mightily important.

Ya, I guess I'm just more confident in Hill's abilities to get the job done. I think Alex needs as much game time as possible in preseason. I already know what Hill can do, I wanna see what Alex can do.
Part of me simply wants to see if Hill's fragmented 7-3 record can be extrapolated in kind over a full season.

We need to find out.
Alex should not get the job because of practices.....however if he COMPLETELY outplays in Hill in all four preseason games then ya, i think he deserves to start.
Originally posted by WestCoast:
Alex should not get the job because of practices.....however if he COMPLETELY outplays in Hill in all four preseason games then ya, i think he deserves to start.

He will, I just don't want to see us go the same route we did last preseason...giving each QB a quarter on the field. Split up the games.
  • DROB
  • Info N/A
Originally posted by blacksailsmd:
Originally posted by WestCoast:

He will, I just don't want to see us go the same route we did last preseason...giving each QB a quarter on the field. Split up the games.
That's right let each QB run the 1st O and see if they can move them

Shaun Hill Speaks... (Lowell Cohn)

Quote:
One more thing. Both Hill and Alex Smith looked good in practice. Hill looked better in the two minute drill which makes you think he functions better in game-like situations.

I am a big Alex Smith fan but I think the team should name Hill the starter and see how he does in real games. They can name him whenever they want -- no hurry. If Hill falters Smith will get his chance. If Hill does not falter the Niners won't need Smith to get a chance.
Originally posted by wshaheen321:

Ya, I guess I'm just more confident in Hill's abilities to get the job done. I think Alex needs as much game time as possible in preseason. I already know what Hill can do, I wanna see what Alex can do.

Frankly, I think Singletary, Jimmy Raye, the media and us fans want to see what a more mature, wiser, bigger, healthy Alex can do. Thus, Jimmy Raye remarks on record..."I want to see them in games" . So until pre-son games arrive, no decision will be made.
Originally posted by PTulini:

Quote:
One more thing. Both Hill and Alex Smith looked good in practice. Hill looked better in the two minute drill which makes you think he functions better in game-like situations.

I am a big Alex Smith fan but I think the team should name Hill the starter and see how he does in real games. They can name him whenever they want -- no hurry. If Hill falters Smith will get his chance. If Hill does not falter the Niners won't need Smith to get a chance.

I agree that Hill should start. But I don't agree that because he did better in practice two min drills that it means he will be better in game situations...in fact Alex is 3/4 in 2 min situations (Cards, Sea, Den).

And last I checked our offense isn't going to consist of "hurry up" style plays. Our offense is centered around a ground and pound attack.

I still think Hill should start but Cohns point doesn't really make sense.
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by LambdaChi49:

Quote:

I agree that Hill should start. But I don't agree that because he did better in practice two min drills that it means he will be better in game situations...in fact Alex is 3/4 in 2 min situations (Cards, Sea, Den).

And last I checked our offense isn't going to consist of "hurry up" style plays. Our offense is centered around a ground and pound attack.

True, but I think 2 minute drills are more for seeing how your QB handles those situations when your behind by lets say 4 points. Its all about handling pressure in tight situations.
Originally posted by Kolohe:
Originally posted by LambdaChi49:

Quote:

True, but I think 2 minute drills are more for seeing how your QB handles those situations when your behind by lets say 4 points. Its all about handling pressure in tight situations.

Yes, that I do agree with.

That being said, like Hill has proven he's a "gamer," Alex has proven, in games, that he can more than handle 2 min situations.
Share 49ersWebzone