ALEX IS TEARIN' IT UP!!!!!

GO ALEX

yah in OTA's

it's a start

I want everyone on the team to kick ass all the time

ditto

Maiocco interviews Smith...

Great read.

Smith supporter or not....this is definitely a different Alex than we're used to.

Here are just some things I found most interesting:

Quote:
Q: Do you feel like you have to show stuff in addition to the on-the-field performance, such as leadership and command of the huddle?

Smith: "I understand what you're saying and, yeah, a little bit. But I'm going to let my actions speak for itself. I'm not going to be somebody I'm not. I've been with these guys for going on my fifth year. I'm not going to shine it on. I'm going to press it. I'm going to bust my ass. And I'm going to be accountable. I haven't been accountable for two years. I haven't been on the field. I've been sitting there in the training room. They're not depending on me, and I'm not depending on them. So, yes, I feel like I have to earn that back. I have to be accountable. I have to let them know that I'm going to be there and do that every day. It's every day. It's not one day I'm 'rah-rah-rah.' It's me being consistent and accountable, and if I make mistakes I have to get back on the horse. And you can't make the same mistakes twice. You have to be getting better."

Quote:
Q: What does "being a leader" mean to you?

Smith: "I think leadership is respect, and I don't think anybody respects false leadership. I think you have to earn respect. You have to earn your teammates' respect. Just because you play quarterback doesn't mean they're going to respect you. Because you're the guy who's supposed to take charge and you have the ball in your hand every play, that doesn't mean they have to respect you. I think guys respect you going about your job the right way - work ethic, attitude toward the game and your commitment level. Those are the things guys look at and see and respect. I think that's how leadership is formed."

There is plent more...especially when asked to compare him and Shaun's leadership abilities/skills/style...

Interesting stuff. I think the Alex of the past would have just said, "Well Shaun's a great guy and I'm just going to do my best and see what happens and if I have to be number 2 then fine." But now it seems as though he believes he DESERVES the job and is legitemately fighting for it. Anyway good for him. Hopefully its not too little too late. Interesting read nonetheless.
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by NinerGM:
So again .... when is Alex supposed to "compete" if not during the time in which he's expected to compete? If Smith somehow masters the short passing game, he instantly becomes a starting NFL QB.

I don't get what your asking GM?? Smith is supposed to compete all the time, even if he is the starter. I don't think competition will end with Singletary as HC.
Originally posted by WestCoast:

GO ALEX

in shorts

This is what I've been waiting to see!
This is hilarious. People getting so excited off of non contact, no ad libbing or pass rushing schemes. When the games start, you will see the deer in the headlights look and plenty of 3 and outs.
Originally posted by danimal:
just 1 more year to complete...then we can make a bid for worst QB situation of the decade.

I know I know, we might not win, but we'll be right in the running.

Until then, by all means, let those worthless QB's compete. Remeber those epic battles betweed Dorsey and Rattay....good times

We had Jeff as a Prowbowler 3 years to kick off the decade. I'd say the Bears have had the worst QB situation of them all, they haven't had a QB in the probowl since like, ever. And the Lions? Fuggetaboutit.

[ Edited by KowboyKiller on Jun 8, 2009 at 18:51:52 ]
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Originally posted by susweel:

GO ALEX

yah in OTA's

uh oh..is little McLovin scared?

I aint never scurred.
Some of you are absolutely hilarous. You have the biggest double standards. I dont even consider you Niner fans. You're so hun up on "YOUR" guy that you discount good practices from Smith (or whomever I dont care). No one is saying Alex is going to start. All people are doing is pointing out some good news.

I guarantee you if Hill had these good practices you'd all be clamoring and saying, "SEE DOOD WEE TOHLD YOO!" Oh wait....

I just think its funny.

All I know is regardless of who "wins" this QB competition, I'll support either player and won't discount their games/practices. Even with Smith having these good practices, and even being a Smith "supporter," I STILL think Hill deserves to start because its the right thing to do. You dont hear me come on here and say, "OH HILL THROO TEH INTERSEPSHUNZ HATRZ LOLZ."

Its so dumb. Get over yourselves and get over "your guy." Sounds like some of you are more "Shaun Hill'er" fans than 49er fans. I know you're in the 15th season of Madden franchise mode with Shaun Hill but calm down.

Originally posted by LambdaChi49:
Some of you are absolutely hilarous. You have the biggest double standards. I dont even consider you Niner fans. You're so hun up on "YOUR" guy that you discount good practices from Smith (or whomever I dont care). No one is saying Alex is going to start. All people are doing is pointing out some good news.

I guarantee you if Hill had these good practices you'd all be clamoring and saying, "SEE DOOD WEE TOHLD YOO!" Oh wait....

I just think its funny.

All I know is regardless of who "wins" this QB competition, I'll support either player and won't discount their games/practices. Even with Smith having these good practices, and even being a Smith "supporter," I STILL think Hill deserves to start because its the right thing to do. You dont hear me come on here and say, "OH HILL THROO TEH INTERSEPSHUNZ HATRZ LOLZ."

Its so dumb. Get over yourselves and get over "your guy." Sounds like some of you are more "Shaun Hill'er" fans than 49er fans. I know you're in the 15th season of Madden franchise mode with Shaun Hill but calm down.

practice is practice sometime you look good some time you look bad still both Smith and hill are in shorts and don't mean s**t until pass rush !

Originally posted by 49er4eva:
This is hilarious. People getting so excited off of non contact, no ad libbing or pass rushing schemes. When the games start, you will see the deer in the headlights look and plenty of 3 and outs.

You seem pretty sure. We'll see. The guys following Singletary's practices don't seem to agree. From what I've read he seems to be infusing the team with toughness and everyone seems to be on board. I'm excited. And, everyone on the offense seems to understand what's going on. You certainly couldn't say that at any time last year. As far as Smith is concerned, I'm certainly not convinced and I'd be more comfortable at this point with Shaun Hill starting, but by most accounts, Smith sounds like he's getting better and that's a good thing. He's still a young QB, but he also has the benefit of having been punched and knocked down a few times. I can easily imagine him surprising all of us.
I'm sure you guys are correct that a real pass rush will be the test, but I absolutely do not go along with the notion that Alex Smith isn't tough. He's tough. He's been knocked around enough and gotten up off the turf enough times to where that shouldn't be a question for fans in my opinion. It's his head and whether or not he can make decisions while there's a real pass rush.
  • IronOrr1685
  • Info N/A
Agreed... Hill has proved himself by winning 5 our of 3 last year, so he's got the start to me
NinerGM ------ I am with you on supporting the other QB showing improvements no matter which guy you like. I am not a big fan so far of Smith because of his past play IMHO. I like the kid and I am glad to hear that he is showing signs of improving. I'll give him props for that cause I want both of them to be as good as they can be just in case we need the other guy at some point. I will add that when it comes to picking the right guy from the competition it should ultimately come down to whoever plays the best in the pre-season games against competition that is trying to stop our QB. If they were to name Hill the starter before the pre-season games get played but he clearly gets outplayed by Smith in the pre-season ------ then let it be Smith or vice-a-versa. I want the guy who moves the chains and scores more consistently.
Originally posted by cNiner:
Originally posted by LambdaChi49:

I just think its funny.

practice is practice sometime you look good some time you look bad still both Smith and hill are in shorts and don't mean s**t until pass rush !

Okay....doesn't mean double standards don't exist.

Share 49ersWebzone