LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 272 users in the forums

how optimistic are you for 09 season

Shop Find 49ers gear online

how optimistic are you for 09 season

I've kept my expectations to another mediocre season so I'm very optimistic about that!
My assumptions are the following.

49ers- we should be improved from the 7-9 unit last year. The draft will give us more sense to how improved that is.

Seahawks- A healthy Matt Hasselback and TJ houshmawhatsee will not make up for the poor the new coaching staff. Sea Chicken fans should be ready to endure declining players and rough coaching transitions.

Rams-any reason to expect they will be that much better?

Cardinals-They will be good again. But how good? They were beatable last year and I think we can find a way to beat them. This was only a 9-7 team. Plus how many teams put together a good season after a superbowl letdown?

This is our year to strike and Coach Singletary should help us play steady enough football to win. If we can win early and build we'll just have to wait and see. I think 9-7 and the division is not unreasonable.

Home
Atlanta Falcons-50-50
Detroit Lions-W
Chicago Bears-W
Jacksonville Jaguars-60-40
Tennessee Titans-Can collins do it again? if so L
Arizona Cardinals- W (it's time to step over this hurdle)
St. Louis Rams- W
Seattle Seahawks- W

Away
Minnesota Vikings -W (we seem to have done well of late vs. A.P.
Green Bay Packers- W (this is a team on the decline)
Indianapolis Colts- L (going to hand this to payton)
Houston Texans 50-50 (we need to be able to beat the texans. But they could be tough this year.
St. Louis Rams- W
Arizona Cardinals- L (spliting this team would be a major step forward)
Seattle Seahawks -L (I'll toss hasselback a bone)
Philadelphia Eagles -L (tough road game)

I've put 8 games on here I think we should win. 5 games we will probably lose. We just have to take care of those other 3 games, texans, jags, and Falcons. All of whom I think are beatable. There are also some question marks out there. Tenesee had a heck of a season under an old QB. Collins and this team could fall apart. The Colts also seem to be a team on the downslope as well as the eagles. We'll have to see how those two teams shape up next year. The Colts are more likely to bounce back.
  • Dino
  • Veteran
mediocre season
  • SoCal49erfan24
  • Info N/A
I'm trying not to get my hopes up because the last time I did was the 2007 season, and we all know what happened.
I am optimistic in that I believe that with Nolan gone the team should improve. It would not surprise me to go 9-7 or 10-6 and win the division. However, I always think that there is a possibility of going 5-11 or 6-10.

If I had to sum it up, I would say this, cautiously optimistic.
how many draft picks has are bumbling fool player personnel man wasted to give any die hard niners any hope.
sing might be able to motivate but how long before players tune him out.
motivation does not get the qb sacked.
or the qb protected.
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
Originally posted by tidissis08:
Originally posted by tidissis08:
We are going to suck for sure. We are looking at a guaranteed top 10 pick in 2010 and maybe even a top 5 pick.

A 2010 top 5 pick is real possible.

Yeah but we can also win.The things is that I really think that our defense next season will be stronger. But im really worried about the offense.

The offense will be one of the worst in the league no doubt.

~ No QB.
~ No RT.
~ No WR's.
~ A TE who can't catch.
~ A RB with injury history and if he goes down it's over.
~ No Offensive Coordinator either.

The defense is very overrated on this Webzone IMO.

~ No pass rush.
~ No coverage at Safety.
~ Defensive line is very suspect.
~ OLB's underachieve.

Patrick Willis is the best thing we have followed by Nate Clements and Walt Harris. But IMO this is not a very good defense overall. I've seen good NFL defenses. This is not one of them.

hey our TE looks good and runs fast.
Originally posted by 49Gorillas:
With the guys we have on the roster today, I feel a 9-7 or 10-6 isn't out of the question. Coach Sing is going to push these guys farther than they have ever gone before and is changing the culture on the team. Roman is getting sent to the bench, Lawson will be 100% and I think is poised to break out in 2009 like we were hoping in 2007. If you watch the last 3 games Lawson was great. Haralson is coming into his own and I think is good for another 8-10 sacks next year.

Its hard to guess what the offense will do because once again It will look different. I think Frank is good for 1200 yards and probably 8 TD's, Josh Morgan Looks to be the number one while Hill and now Brando Jones will make up 2-3 WR sets (assuming bruce retires). Being that we wont have an offense with 4 and 5 wide I would guess that we only bring 5 WR to a game and bring an additional RB.

With the roster as it stands today, im confident in a 9-7 season, playoffs 50-50. I don't know why but I get the funny feeling that Alex will the be the starter by Week1. It also looks like Jonas Jennings will be the starter if he is back next year, when he is healthy he is a beast, but that's only a few games a season.

Our Offense is not very good and our defense is just a little better. You need to Open your eyes. We still lack a Pass Rusher and a LBer and our overall pass rush is horrible. Year in and year out. Coach Sing can only do so much. He can't teach speed. Were still looking at other QB's. I see a 5 to 7 win team at this point.
  • krizay
  • Veteran
we are shaky at the QB position and along the O-line. which happens to be the 2 most important offensive parts.

We are STILL shaky at NT and the pass rushing aspect of the 3-4.

Our offense likes to turn the ball over. While our defense doesn't create turnovers.

All a recipe for mediocrisy. Anyone expecting NFC WEST title is not being realistic.
We are going to suck for sure. We are looking at a guaranteed top 10 pick in 2010 and maybe even a top 5 pick.

I'd expect nothing less from you.

5-11 untill we draft a f**king qb, RT, WR & OLB/DE pass rusher ! then we are going to the superbowl !
Originally posted by krizay:
we are shaky at the QB position and along the O-line. which happens to be the 2 most important offensive parts.

We are STILL shaky at NT and the pass rushing aspect of the 3-4.

Our offense likes to turn the ball over. While our defense doesn't create turnovers.

All a recipe for mediocrisy. Anyone expecting NFC WEST title is not being realistic.

Thats about sums it up in a post. I agree.
8-8 or 9-7

Though I will cheer like every game is a playoff game!!
Originally posted by billybonka:
10-6.

I actually came to this thread

I predict the same record for us.
No NFC West team will be a wildcard next season.

We must therefore win the West.

The Cardinal look like they are for real, and will be back and possibly better next season.

The Sea-Chickens had an off year and are reloading, with Jimmy Mora they will play upbeat, they will improve.

The Rams are the Rams we will dominate them next season.

Our roster at this moment no better than it was at the end of last season. I hope to see some improvement in the draft, and added depth in free-agency.

I have seen no improvement in the recent moves in the free agent market.

Our coaching staff is about the same , the benefits of adding Rathman and firing Warhop are offset by the choice of Raye.

I expect a great deal of improvement in play on the field and in motivation.

I do however feel that Raye will not be "out coaching" anyone anytime soon, we will live and die on physical strength and physical play, we will not "steal" any games by out coaching any one.

If the season started today we would not make the play-offs, but luckily it is a long way off.

I fully expect better play from this team, I just worry about our weak roster.

Go 9ers!
Share 49ersWebzone