There are 55 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

TWO Major Unresolved Issues... MAJOR UPDATE!!

• GoatRider
  • Info N/A
Originally posted by ninertico:
Originally posted by NinerGM:
So now that the Giants have signed both Rocky Bernard and Chris Canty, do I really care about the Jones and Norris signings?

NOT REALLY.

So again how are we going to improve the pass-rush?

Our line and rushing OLBs. We haven't addressed any.

We have some 5-techniques, but not a one-gap true 3-4 NT and never mind our options at WILL because we don't have any unless we want to get them at ridiculously high market rates. Therefore, our pass rush has to come from the draft and some depth.

We had more of a pass rush by committee than just one dominant pass rusher like Ware for example. IMO, we will be drafting two pass rushers and one of them will be in the first two rounds. They will rotate with Haralson and give us some fresh legs in the fourth.

Like you, I would like to see a true NT and not the 2-gap option that we are settling on with Franklin.

If we land Willis at ROT in the FA, then a Brown in the first and Brace in the second is a huge possibility. Yet, they are rookies and your point is made clearer.

We just don't have WILL and true one-gap NT options in FA that we would have signed by now. A little patience and we just may get someone like Grady Jackson...probably not, but hopefully someone.

Peace bud.

Agreed. Canty would have been a logical addition b/c then Sopoaga and Balmer would undoubtedly move inside. Willis would be good, but I'd like to see us add a real LT and move Staley back to the right.

As far as the pass rush goes, they know in free agency they'll spend big money for marginal talent. To avoid paying inflated prices Scotty is probably waiting to let the market settle and sign a decent player for a reasonable contract. It doesn't sound like Canty really wanted to come here, so why sign players just for the sake of signing players? Fans want to see big names, but we're not the Cowboys or the 'Skins. Neither of those teams do anything anyway. Have patience, though the positions of OT, DT, and OLB have to be addressed through the draft.
It looks like Marques Douglas may be back so Soap could be moved to NT.
Whats the MAJOR UPDATE??
Originally posted by solidg2000:
Whats the MAJOR UPDATE??
Originally posted by 49erFaithful:
Whats the MAJOR UPDATE??
Not a lot of pass rush talent in free agency right now. Lots of talent at the position in the draft. As far as OT goes well be fine. We can win games without a superstar at RT. Adam Snder playenwell at RT when he was healthy, and that position cold be addressed in the drafts later rounds. Wouldn't mind a few late first/mid secounf round picks to upgrade the positions
Originally posted by dmbgeek87:
After thinking about this some more, I think Sopoaga started at DE in order to give Balmer a year under his belt to learn the ropes.

The potential signing of Evans means that he'll be rotating with Balmer at the DE position, and Sopoaga will compete with Franklin at NT.

DE: Smith/Mcdonald
NT: Sopoaga/Franklin
DE: Balmer/Evans

The fact that we don't have the luxury to use a 1st, 2nd, or 3rd round pick on a NT means we have to move Sopoaga around to provide immediate competition and depth at the position.

I think we need to upgrade the D Line, and other than J. Smith, there aren't many guys on our roster that scares anyone. That's why I think the DE/NT/DT position is in need of an IMPACT player.

I'm hoping we could trade up into the early 2nd/ late 1st for DE Jarron Gilbert of S.J. St., or trade down in the first for DE Tyson Jackson of LSU. Either one would help our pass rush tremendously as well as occupy blockers for our LB's.
The grass is always greener. We're in good shape. Pick up Douglas and move Soap ahead of Fat Franklin at NT.
That fact our d-line will be playing a one gap scheme is the biggest upgrade. I think RT is our most pressing need at this juncture. If we can't move the ball we will not be putting our defense in a position to succeed. As you can't rush as effectively when you are playing from behind or tired from being on the field the whole game.
  • ZRF80
I agree....
So now that the Giants have signed both Rocky Bernard and Chris Canty, do I really care about the Jones and Norris signings?

NOT REALLY.

We have some 5-techniques, but not a one-gap true 3-4 NT and never mind our options at WILL because we don't have any unless we want to get them at ridiculously high market rates. Therefore, our pass rush has to come from the draft and some depth.

We had more of a pass rush by committee than just one dominant pass rusher like Ware for example. IMO, we will be drafting two pass rushers and one of them will be in the first two rounds. They will rotate with Haralson and give us some fresh legs in the fourth.

Like you, I would like to see a true NT and not the 2-gap option that we are settling on with Franklin.

If we land Willis at ROT in the FA, then a Brown in the first and Brace in the second is a huge possibility. Yet, they are rookies and your point is made clearer.

We just don't have WILL and true one-gap NT options in FA that we would have signed by now. A little patience and we just may get someone like Grady Jackson...probably not, but hopefully someone.

Peace bud.

As always, great response bud.

My only concern is that Demetric Evans is similar to Franklin already? I'm a fan a team D, but if we don't have on player that demands a double-team at the LOS or that demands it via a pass-rush, again, I can't see it being that much more improved.

And unless I haven't been following the draft prospects very well (which could certainly be the case), who's out there that will come in and significantly augment the 49er pass-rush as a rook?

Since ZR was gracious enough to bring this post back to light, I wanted to thank you and say we didn't upgrade our position in the draft obviously. The "Think Tank" has christened Manny to be our next pass rusher. Oh, be careful with MadDog, he's on a rampage right now...

I went back to see whatever film I could find on the Internet of Manny...highlights mostly. You can see the speed and long arm grabs...heck he did it against Romo in Dallas last year just the same way. If he did beef up and used the off season to hone in on his new weight distribution, then maybe he can be that speed rusher we have been looking for...perhaps?

Still, we have no alternative to address our pass rushing depth in next year's DE/OLB draft. For now, all eyes are on Manny like our new draftee, IMO. The buzz is hot on this kid now. Hoopla and hype galore, but not the glory type either. There is doubt in the media as well as the tar dripped ooze spewed against his success here on NinerTalk. Yea, it tastes like that sometimes...

So tomorrow we shall see after the day's first series of practices. We should see something immediate, IMO. Too much pressure? Eh, it's Singletary's team now where pressure is like eating Oreo cookies and milk.

NOT REALLY.

Peace bud.

As always, great response bud.

My only concern is that Demetric Evans is similar to Franklin already? I'm a fan a team D, but if we don't have on player that demands a double-team at the LOS or that demands it via a pass-rush, again, I can't see it being that much more improved.

And unless I haven't been following the draft prospects very well (which could certainly be the case), who's out there that will come in and significantly augment the 49er pass-rush as a rook?

Since ZR was gracious enough to bring this post back to light, I wanted to thank you and say we didn't upgrade our position in the draft obviously. The "Think Tank" has christened Manny to be our next pass rusher. Oh, be careful with MadDog, he's on a rampage right now...

I went back to see whatever film I could find on the Internet of Manny...highlights mostly. You can see the speed and long arm grabs...heck he did it against Romo in Dallas last year just the same way. If he did beef up and used the off season to hone in on his new weight distribution, then maybe he can be that speed rusher we have been looking for...perhaps?

Still, we have no alternative to address our pass rushing depth in next year's DE/OLB draft. For now, all eyes are on Manny like our new draftee, IMO. The buzz is hot on this kid now. Hoopla and hype galore, but not the glory type either. There is doubt in the media as well as the tar dripped ooze spewed against his success here on NinerTalk. Yea, it tastes like that sometimes...

So tomorrow we shall see after the day's first series of practices. We should see something immediate, IMO. Too much pressure? Eh, it's Singletary's team now where pressure is like eating Oreo cookies and milk.

Yes, we shall soon see about Manny. Maybe not tomorrow, but soon.

What did Singletary say about pressure--it comes from lack of preparation. I don't see him allowing that to adversely affect him or the team.

I can also see the team picking up some other team's castoff OLB when final cuts are made, if they're not satisfied with who we have now. So there may be some possible help still out there, even if its limited.
Originally posted by SolRebe1:
Whats the MAJOR UPDATE??
Originally posted by mug0mug:
Whats the MAJOR UPDATE??
Originally posted by NinerFan1977:
Originally posted by mug0mug: