There are 147 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

TWO Major Unresolved Issues... MAJOR UPDATE!!

Update Sunday night - 3/1/09:

The 49ers made contact on the first day of free agency with defensive end Chris Canty's agent, but it was pretty obvious that wasn't going to happen. They never even got to the point where they scheduled a visit. Canty reportedly signed a six-year, $42 million deal today with the New York Giants, who have also signed Seahawks defensive tackle Rocky Bernard.

http://blog.pressdemocrat.com/49ers/2009/03/for-now-warner-still-scheduled-to-visit-with-49ers.html

Issue #1: Upgrade Pass-Rush/Defensive Line

Coming to the building: According to MM, Washington free agent DT-DE Demetric Evans is due for a visit on Monday. The 49ers are eyeing several defensive ends and it's unknown how many of them they'd like to snag. Does this mean that Isaac Sopoaga and/or Kentwan Balmer will see time at nose tackle?

Showing interest in: DE Chris Canty is due for a visit next week. He would be the highest-rated of all the free agents discussed thus far. However, the Giants or Seattle could make him an offer he can't refuse. The team also is looking at Denver free agent DT-DE Kenny Peterson and Cowboys free agent TE Tony Curtis.

http://www.sacbee.com/static/weblogs/49ers/archives/020197.html?mi_rss=49ers%20Blog%20and%20Q%26A

So I know "we don't want to spend a lot of money" but if we want an effective pass-rusher this season, we're going to have to consider spending some cash for a pass-rusher. It's not like, well if the player is any good, he's going to be cheap. No, we shouldn't pay what the Redskins paid, (edited typo) but we're going to have to compete with the Seahawks, Greenbay, and even the Giants. It doesn't seem like I'm hearing the 49ers on the list of teams that are scheduled to meet with the likes of Canty or even Rocky Bernard.

If we're looking at the draft, I'm not sure there's a player at #10 that's a true NFL-ready pass-rusher.

Well, if that's the case and we don't get a pass-rusher via free-agency, it's again going to be a difficult season with the defensive secondary being exposed once again.

I'm hopeful there's plan but ... well the Norris, Jones and whatever second RB they sign will all be moot if the pass-rush isn't upgraded.

Issue #2: TWO Starters on the OL - at least ONE Vet Starting OT

The Jones signing will be a complete waste of money if we don't secure at least one NFL-ready, starting caliber OT. I have yet to see a deep threat be effective when the QB can't take at the very least a 5-step drop to throw the ball. Vernon Davis will not be a receiver if the OL consistently needs help to block 4 down linemen.

There's a lot of talent in the draft at tackle, but if we are holding true to what was said at the State of the Franchise, the only way the team continues its season in January is if it protects its passer.

OR

Upgrade the OG positions (which is easy enough) and help Frank get more holes. The Norris signing is a waste if the OL can't get push either.

----------------------------------------------------

Always willing to update this as new information comes in. However, as of yet we've made cosmetic changes to the team, as far as I'm concerned and really need to take on THE two major off-season questions of the off-season.

------------------------------------------

[ Edited by NinerGM on Mar 1, 2009 at 16:55:30 ]
  • JMPNINER
  • Info N/A
Tackle and a pass-rusher will be addressed with our 1st 2 picks
I think we should open the bank for canty, and it would of been nice to add dawkins(for 2 yrs - 9 million). What a bargain for denver. Who else is out there if FA?
  • dald1
  • Veteran
how is wr not an unsolved issue? bc we got brandon jones...give me a break
Originally posted by dald1:

We're a running team. The pass/receiving game is second fiddle this year. At least that is what I'm taking from the remarks made by coaching and management.
  • dald1
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 49erLifer:

We're a running team. The pass/receiving game is second fiddle this year. At least that is what I'm taking from the remarks made by coaching and management.

thats true but at the same time u still need atleast ONE productive reciever
Originally posted by 49erLifer:

thats true but at the same time u still need atleast ONE productive reciever

I don't disagree.
Originally posted by JMPNINER:
I think we should open the bank for canty, and it would of been nice to add dawkins(for 2 yrs - 9 million). What a bargain for denver. Who else is out there if FA?

agree 100% on the draft approach. I have no doubt that is what we will do. We may even trade back into the first to do it.

Canty would be a PERFECT addition, too. DEs in a 3-4 are NOT the primary source of the pass rush.
we need a Vet OT and a DT in FA or in the draft. OT in the NFL need more time if they are rookies so I would rather pick up a good OT in FA or trade. Pick up a RB or a DT or stud WR with our 1st pick. (what ever is the better player on the table) Get a S and LBer and we are good to go. So my order is - OT DT WR RB S and LBer. In that order.
Originally posted by NinerGM:
Issue #1: Upgrade Pass-Rush/Defensive Line

Coming to the building: According to MM, Washington free agent DT-DE Demetric Evans is due for a visit on Monday. The 49ers are eyeing several defensive ends and it's unknown how many of them they'd like to snag. Does this mean that Isaac Sopoaga and/or Kentwan Balmer will see time at nose tackle?

Showing interest in: DE Chris Canty is due for a visit next week. He would be the highest-rated of all the free agents discussed thus far. However, the Giants or Seattle could make him an offer he can't refuse. The team also is looking at Denver free agent DT-DE Kenny Peterson and Cowboys free agent TE Tony Curtis.

http://www.sacbee.com/static/weblogs/49ers/archives/020197.html?mi_rss=49ers%20Blog%20and%20Q%26A

So I know "we don't want to spend a lot of money" but if we want an effective pass-rusher this season, we're going to have to consider spending some cash for a pass-rusher. It's not like, well if the player is any good, he's going to be cheap. Yes, we should pay what the Redskins paid, but we're going to have to compete with the Seahawks, Greenbay, and even the Giants. It doesn't seem like I'm hearing the 49ers on the list of teams that are scheduled to meet with the likes of Canty or even Rocky Bernard.

If we're looking at the draft, I'm not sure there's a player at #10 that's a true NFL-ready pass-rusher.

Well, if that's the case and we don't get a pass-rusher via free-agency, it's again going to be a difficult season with the defensive secondary being exposed once again.

I'm hopeful there's plan but ... well the Norris, Jones and whatever second RB they sign will all be moot if the pass-rush isn't upgraded.

Issue #2: TWO Starters on the OL - at least ONE Vet Starting OT

The Jones signing will be a complete waste of money if we don't secure at least one NFL-ready, starting caliber OT. I have yet to see a deep threat be effective when the QB can't take at the very least a 5-step drop to throw the ball. Vernon Davis will not be a receiver if the OL consistently needs help to block 4 down linemen.

There's a lot of talent in the draft at tackle, but if we are holding true to what was said at the State of the Franchise, the only way the team continues its season in January is if it protects its passer.

OR

Upgrade the OG positions (which is easy enough) and help Frank get more holes. The Norris signing is a waste if the OL can't get push either.

----------------------------------------------------

Always willing to update this as new information comes in. However, as of yet we've made cosmetic changes to the team, as far as I'm concerned and really need to take on THE two major off-season questions of the off-season.

THANK YOU!!!!!!
THANK YOU!!!!!!
THANK YOU!!!!!!
THANK YOU!!!!!!
THANK YOU!!!!!!
THANK YOU!!!!!!
THANK YOU!!!!!!
THANK YOU!!!!!!
THANK YOU!!!!!!

Common sense at it's FINEST!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
THANK YOU!!!!!!
THANK YOU!!!!!!
Originally posted by NineFourNiner:

agree 100% on the draft approach. I have no doubt that is what we will do. We may even trade back into the first to do it.

Canty would be a PERFECT addition, too. DEs in a 3-4 are NOT the primary source of the pass rush.

The only problem with this theory (although I do completely believe in investing high round picks for the lines) it's not a "win now" strategy.

How many rookie OT come into the NFL and hold their own against defenses during the first 5 games. Opposing coordinators figure that out real fast and will often call overload blitz(s) to one side of the OL. This means that we're right back where we were last season (or possibly worse) with the performance (not the talent) of the situations.

Think about Staley's first year. He was OK - not great - but OK at ROT. If you "address" starters other than OG on the LOS, then you're talking about (at best) a .500 or slightly above that but not much more.

And even then it's rare that he'll be ready by mid to late season. The same can be said about 1st round WRs.
So now that the Giants have signed both Rocky Bernard and Chris Canty, do I really care about the Jones and Norris signings?

NOT REALLY.

So again how are we going to improve the pass-rush?

Which is not going to help us very much THIS YEAR. I highly doubt we're going to draft a pass rusher that is effective in his first season. We need to start looking at the best player available in the draft and an OT is not going to be the "best player available."
So now that the Giants have signed both Rocky Bernard and Chris Canty, do I really care about the Jones and Norris signings?

NOT REALLY.

Our line and rushing OLBs. We haven't addressed any.

We have some 5-techniques, but not a one-gap true 3-4 NT and never mind our options at WILL because we don't have any unless we want to get them at ridiculously high market rates. Therefore, our pass rush has to come from the draft and some depth.

We had more of a pass rush by committee than just one dominant pass rusher like Ware for example. IMO, we will be drafting two pass rushers and one of them will be in the first two rounds. They will rotate with Haralson and give us some fresh legs in the fourth.

Like you, I would like to see a true NT and not the 2-gap option that we are settling on with Franklin.

If we land Willis at ROT in the FA, then a Brown in the first and Brace in the second is a huge possibility. Yet, they are rookies and your point is made clearer.

We just don't have WILL and true one-gap NT options in FA that we would have signed by now. A little patience and we just may get someone like Grady Jackson...probably not, but hopefully someone.

Peace bud.

Originally posted by ninertico:

NOT REALLY.

Our line and rushing OLBs. We haven't addressed any.

We have some 5-techniques, but not a one-gap true 3-4 NT and never mind our options at WILL because we don't have any unless we want to get them at ridiculously high market rates. Therefore, our pass rush has to come from the draft and some depth.

We had more of a pass rush by committee than just one dominant pass rusher like Ware for example. IMO, we will be drafting two pass rushers and one of them will be in the first two rounds. They will rotate with Haralson and give us some fresh legs in the fourth.

Like you, I would like to see a true NT and not the 2-gap option that we are settling on with Franklin.

If we land Willis at ROT in the FA, then a Brown in the first and Brace in the second is a huge possibility. Yet, they are rookies and your point is made clearer.

We just don't have WILL and true one-gap NT options in FA that we would have signed by now. A little patience and we just may get someone like Grady Jackson...probably not, but hopefully someone.

Peace bud.

As always, great response bud.

My only concern is that Demetric Evans is similar to Franklin already? I'm a fan a team D, but if we don't have on player that demands a double-team at the LOS or that demands it via a pass-rush, again, I can't see it being that much more improved.

And unless I haven't been following the draft prospects very well (which could certainly be the case), who's out there that will come in and significantly augment the 49er pass-rush as a rook?
  • GEEK
  • Veteran
After thinking about this some more, I think Sopoaga started at DE in order to give Balmer a year under his belt to learn the ropes.

The potential signing of Evans means that he'll be rotating with Balmer at the DE position, and Sopoaga will compete with Franklin at NT.

DE: Smith/Mcdonald
NT: Sopoaga/Franklin
DE: Balmer/Evans

The fact that we don't have the luxury to use a 1st, 2nd, or 3rd round pick on a NT means we have to move Sopoaga around to provide immediate competition and depth at the position.
Search Podcast Draft Forum Commentary News Shop Home